PDA

View Full Version : Superdelegate question

Rafi
05-02-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm a bit confused on this issue - can someone who knows clarify?

There are 150 superdelegates to the RNC, 3 from each state. From what I understand, they are elected state party leaders. We got one in Iowa, AJ Spiker, who is leader of the Iowa GOP now.

Do we now have 2 superdelegates in Alaska because we replaced the chair there? Can we get superdelegates in upcoming state conventions, or is Iowa a special case because the old guy resigned and Spiker is now acting chairman, whereas in Alaska, Reudrich (sp?) is still chairman until replaced months from now.

Basically, is there any chance we can rack up some superdelegates by winning party positions in upcoming state and CD conventions, or do our victories now only count for 2016?

Rafi
05-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Anybody?

(pin drops)

drummergirl
05-02-2012, 08:23 AM
That is a good question; it depends upon their terms of office. If the new people start before the convention in Tampa, then they would be the superdelegates. I'm not even sure on the rule in my state on that.

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
My understanding is in Alaska the chair at least we don't have because he continues office until Feb. Don't know about the others from Alaska. In OTHER states though, sometimes the chair elected at state convention becomes the new superdelegate. This is where things become interesting, as in Iowa, and we have to see how it plays out.

Isaac Bickerstaff
05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
My understanding is that the national committee man, national committee woman and state party chair from each state are automatically delegates to the national convention, thus the 150 "superdelegates".