PDA

View Full Version : The importance of moral convictions?

Reason
05-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Just got in a fight with my significant other about this...

Stemming from a situation where we and some of her friends went out to dinner and at the restaurant/bar there were several TV's on the walls all tuned to Obama giving a speech.

This took place shortly after I had been reading just how horrible the NDA act was and how Obama spoke about it on the anniversary of the bill of rights etc...

99% of the time I am very calm and collected in my political conversations & doings... that night, I could not restrain myself from politely asking the nearest waitress if they would mind changing the channel...

The waitress of course gave me the most aghast of looks and walked away quickly... Of course the TV's were not changed and I couldn't seem to see that waitress anywhere to be found for quite some time.

Eventually our dedicated waiter came to our table to assist us and at this point I am more annoyed by the lack of response from the original waitress than I am about Obama's dumb ass face bouncing around all around me. So I once again, politely asked this waiter the same question. He didn't seem to care one way or the other and changed 2 of the closest TV's.

Later on... the g/f was uber angry with me for "embarrassing her in front of her friends" who thought it was so weird that I would ask such a thing...

I explained that after the recent NDAA events & everything else that fool has done there was no way I would have had an appetite while the ambiance consisted of Obama's head bouncing around lying about one thing or another, meanwhile his drones bomb more kids.

The g/f has taken the position of understanding my disgust w/Obama but thinks I should "stomach" it for the sake of appearances with "normal" people who aren't as "into" politics as I am...

For me, this turned into a wider discussion on moral convictions, in my head I am thinking, "wow, how about if we had a society where (normal) people all had a problem with watching war criminals pander when they are trying to eat"

I dunno, I was polite and calm and quiet when speaking to the waiter so I didn't see my actions as outlandish, just "normal" to someone with morals and a relative awareness of the current system...

/

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Me, I despise that, unless you want to spend a couple hundred dollars on dinner, most any "affordable" restaurant/bar/grill has a gazillion idiot boxes blaring at you from every corner.

The solution:

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_images/tvbg_LeftPic2.gif

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

Anti Federalist
05-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Now, addressing your post:

Conformity is a powerful motivator of human actions, isn't it?

You were in the right, you are paying customer and can make that perfectly valid request.

I've done it myself, when I want to eat a meal in peace.

tttppp
05-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I usually don't pay attention to the TVs in restaurants. However, I do feel the same way when I hear bs from Obama. He's a professional con man. Nothing more.

WilliamC
05-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Sounds like me and my wife.

It's not completely unfair of me to say that my involvement in the Ron Paul campaign back in 2007/2008 was a significant contributing factor in her estrangement from me and her eventual demand that I leave the house and get my own place to stay.

Not the only reason for sure, but she was never happy with the time, money, and effort I put in back then, she seemed to see it as me being somehow a failure as a father for using it as an excuse not to spend time with our children, two of whom were very young at the time.

I do care about appearing to be normal most of the time since that makes it easy to avoid trouble, but she seems to actually want to be 'normal' and that to her doesn't included being involved in politics except for voting. Any more than that and somehow I am thinking too highly of myself or trying to brainwash people or something.

But she is the mother of my children and I will support her to the best of my ability until I die, that's what marriage means to me even if I have zero religious basis for it.

oyarde
05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Moral convictions ? They are important to me , are they important in the World ? No , only with the common , peasant man.