PDA

View Full Version : Changed Delegate Count in NV per NV GOP

sailingaway
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
• Nevada Republicans have recalculated the numbers for Nevada’s delegates to the national convention, whose first-ballot votes were won by presidential candidates in the February Nevada caucus.
• If Newt Gingrich drops out of the race this coming week as expected, Mitt Romney will be awarded 20 delegates and Ron Paul will be awarded eight. Rick Santorum, who won three Nevada delegates earlier already dropped out. If Gingrich remains in the race, the delegate count will be 15 for Romney, seven for Gingrich and six for Paul.
• The February caucus originally gave Romney 14 delegates, Gingrich six, Paul five and Santorum 3.

Ron's went up but not by as much as Romneys.

This is in a little marginal note in the following article:

Ron Paul backers prepare takeover of state GOP convention in Sparks

http://www.rgj.com/article/20120429/NEWS/304290070/Ron-Paul-backers-prepare-takeover-state-GOP-convention-Sparks

LostNFoundNTx
05-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Can they reallocate Santorum's delegates while his campaign is merely suspended?

pauletteNV
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Hear that noise....it is rumbling in the distance...hear it now? That's the "Battle Born" Ron Paul delegates coming to Reno/Sparks this Saturday, May 5. The excitement mounts and this time...the lights will not be turned out prematurely and every vote, every delebate for the Nationals will be gained fair and square.

sailingaway
05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Hear that noise....it is rumbling in the distance...hear it now? That's the "Battle Born" Ron Paul delegates coming to Reno/Sparks this Saturday, May 5. The excitement mounts and this time...the lights will not be turned out prematurely and every vote, every delebate for the Nationals will be gained fair and square.

You have my undivided attention Saturday.

Well, except for Maine....

meanwhile, for the rest of us, http://phone.ronpaul2012.com

evilfunnystuff
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
nice

gorgonzola
05-01-2012, 05:22 PM
You have my undivided attention Saturday.

Well, except for Maine....

meanwhile, for the rest of us, http://phone.ronpaul2012.com

Thanks-And Maine will have my attention, except for Nevada.

Best to all this coming weekend!

PaulSoHard
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Break the rules?
Although the RNC mandates that national delegates must vote in accordance with state primary or caucus results, Ron Paul’s supporters appear to want to push the mandate to the limit.

Bunce suggested that some national delegates who support Paul would have a difficult time voting for Romney on the first ballot, even if they were instructed to do so.

“They might not be Romney supporters,” Bunce said of the national delegates. “The people who have the heart and minds to make it to the national delegation floor, they have a choice to make. Anything is possible at that point.”
Sir, when we win we will win fairly

opinionatedfool
05-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Who cares how they did it. We need to get all the delegates, go to state and vote to unbind them.

eleganz
05-01-2012, 08:22 PM
if we have 2/3 of the delegation in state, can we vote to unbind all delegates?

andrew1229649
05-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Who do you think voted to have the delegates bound? The RNC sure as hell didn't....

PaulSoHard
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
if we have 2/3 of the delegation in state, can we vote to unbind all delegates?
As the body of the convention, delegates should have the last word on binding/unbinding rules.

LostNFoundNTx
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
The following text from the GOP rule 15 (c) (12) might result in a delegate penalty if the rules are changed at the state convention to unbind the delegates. It's hard to tell exactly how this would be interpreted in such a case.

No delegates or alternate delegates shall be elected, selected, allocated, or bound pursuant to any Republican Party rule of a state or state law which materially changes the manner of electing, selecting, allocating, or binding delegates or alternate delegates or the date upon which such state Republican Party holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or electing, selecting, allocating, or binding delegates to the national convention if such changes were adopted or made effective after October 1 of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held.

sailingaway
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
interesting.

BrooklynZoo
05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
The following text from the GOP rule 15 (c) (12) might result in a delegate penalty if the rules are changed at the state convention to unbind the delegates. It's hard to tell exactly how this would be interpreted in such a case.

Well, we're not going to elect, select, allocate or bind any delegates. We're going to unbind the delegates to freely vote their conscience at the national convention. And how could anyone voting in good conscience elect anyone but Paul? ;)

J_White
05-01-2012, 09:55 PM
is this real ? or just "projections"
i mean Nevada delegates are unbound, right ?
so we could still win most of them ?

sailingaway
05-01-2012, 10:04 PM

In Louisiana didn't they change the entire process after October of the prior year? Seems to me that they set it up after the date to register (last December) had passed.

Texas as well....

I wonder if it is like those Nevada caucuses where 'irregularities' were used to throw out the entire vote....

am I wrong?

lib3rtarian
05-01-2012, 10:54 PM

Keep us posted, and Godspeed!

digitaldean
05-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Make sure we get as many people as we can in Nevada. Since this state has been talked about a lot and Mitts people could grow to stop Paul. Bottom line is to bring as many friends/family members that you can.

Algorres
05-02-2012, 12:27 AM
They changed the agenda for the convention today but we should have results by around 4pm PST on Saturday the 5th.

Things to watch for: Election of Permanent Officers, Congressional National Convention Delegate and Alternate Nominations and Elections, At-Large National Delegate and Alternate Nominations and Elections, Nomination and Election of Presidential Electors, Nomination and Election of National Committeewoman,Nomination and Election of National Committeeman, Nomination and Election of Electors.

enoch150
05-02-2012, 12:54 AM
is this real ? or just "projections"
i mean Nevada delegates are unbound, right ?
so we could still win most of them ?

Nevada delegates are bound, but there is an idea that the convention can unbind them. I don't know if that's true or not. I think New York and Alabama delegates can be unbound, but I'm not sure Nevada can.

rodo1776
05-02-2012, 06:40 AM
They changed the agenda for the convention today but we should have results by around 4pm PST on Saturday the 5th.

Things to watch for: Election of Permanent Officers, Congressional National Convention Delegate and Alternate Nominations and Elections, At-Large National Delegate and Alternate Nominations and Elections, Nomination and Election of Presidential Electors, Nomination and Election of National Committeewoman,Nomination and Election of National Committeeman, Nomination and Election of Electors.

So that is true there is an election for the national committeeman and woman? If so will be anxiously awaiting those results. And would the two elected take office before the convention so they can vote there?

Go get em Nevadans!!

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Be super careful of them trying to shut it down -- just keep it going!! Although I suspect I am trying to teach my grandmother how to suck eggs given Nevada 2008.

Make sure we get as many people as we can in Nevada. Since this state has been talked about a lot and Mitts people could grow to stop Paul. Bottom line is to bring as many friends/family members that you can.

This is SO SO SO important!!!!

angelatc
05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Well, we're not going to elect, select, allocate or bind any delegates. We're going to unbind the delegates to freely vote their conscience at the national convention.

Unbinding them could change the allocation.

Algorres
05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Two days away from the 440 mile drive and I can't wait.

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Two days away from the 440 mile drive and I can't wait.

drive carefully!!

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Maine also moved delegate selection up. Note that in Alaska they let delegates be selected then fled to shut it down before rules, etc could be changed. I don't know if a motion to change the order of the agenda is something to consider.

Richard Cantillion
05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Maine also moved delegate selection up. Note that in Alaska they let delegates be selected then fled to shut it down before rules, etc could be changed. I don't know if a motion to change the order of the agenda is something to consider.

What about raising points of information from the floor early in the proceedings? Something like the following:

Point of information. Could the chairman or parlimentarian read out the rules for adjourning or closing the convention?

Point of Information. Could the parlimentarian confirm that the convention can only be closed by a two thirds majority of the delegates and not by a decision of the chairman.

Point of information. Could the parlimentarian outline the steps to be taken by the delegates to resume the business of the convention in the event that the chairman were to depart.

This would at least ensure that they can't claim later that they made a mistake. There would be a record on tape of the rules and the fact that the officers of the convention were fully aware of them. It might make them think twice about pulling this stunt. It also informs every delegate present of the rules so that an attempt to close down the convention would be resisted immediately and people would know that they need to stay and continue without the chair rather than leave in confusion.

I'm not sure how you deal with a situation where enough delegates leave in order to destroy a quorum.

lib3rtarian
05-02-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm not sure how you deal with a situation where enough delegates leave in order to destroy a quorum.
This is what happened to us in NC CD-13. Paul guys stayed back, but the neocons left in droves, and normally this would have been a good thing, except this caused us to lose quorum.

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 09:20 AM
This is what happened to us in NC CD-13. Paul guys stayed back, but the neocons left in droves, and normally this would have been a good thing, except this caused us to lose quorum.

I'm thinking in NV and Maine we'd still have quorum so long as our guys spoke up fast enough (with bull horn, having seen how it went in St Charles with people upset at precipitous shut down) declared the chair vacant, nominated and elected a new one and continued.

My understanding is that even in 2008 the establishment in NV having fled went to one room to wait and see if we would still have quorum, unfortunately, our folks weren't prepared for the eventuality that time. This time, I'm thinking we will be prepared -- but I was surprised that it worked in Alaska, frankly.

BrooklynZoo
05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Unbinding them could change the allocation.

You can't allocate by un-allocating. The rule implies selection of a particular candidate, not deselection of all candidates.

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
You can't allocate by un-allocating. The rule implies selection of a particular candidate, not deselection of all candidates.

And some states the party already has assaulted that rule by the way it handled stuff. But I'm not sure it applies to delegates at convention as opposed to a 'party' or 'legislature', it seems to be against top down imposition of rules, not otherwise. In RNC rule 38 it says they don't even recognize binding at the RNC, likely because they want all delegates to vote 'the establishment choice' even if the establishment choice lost their state. But in any event, that goes with thinking it doesn't mean delegates, assuming the rules themselves PERMIT delegates to change the rules at convention -- because then it wouldn't be in contravention of prior rules, but in accordance with them.

All the same, I'm sure the campaign has evaluated this and will act accordingly. Meanwhile, I am all for getting our guys on the credentials committee.

Algorres
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
The Paul campaign has its stuff together in Nevada. We will get a fair shake. It is all about turnout at this point. To the earlier person that asked about the committeeman and committeewoman it would not affect the convention in Tampa but we would have 2 Ron Paul people at the national RNC level for the future.

LostNFoundNTx
05-02-2012, 10:14 AM
In Louisiana didn't they change the entire process after October of the prior year? Seems to me that they set it up after the date to register (last December) had passed.

Texas as well....

I wonder if it is like those Nevada caucuses where 'irregularities' were used to throw out the entire vote....

am I wrong?

There's some exceptions in there for states that don't have control on the situation, but I don't think that part applies to NV.

LostNFoundNTx
05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, we're not going to elect, select, allocate or bind any delegates. We're going to unbind the delegates to freely vote their conscience at the national convention. And how could anyone voting in good conscience elect anyone but Paul? ;)

It changes the rule for binding delegates from the current proportional binding to not binding them.

sailingaway
05-02-2012, 10:21 AM
It changes the rule for binding delegates from the current proportional binding to not binding them.I agree that this needs to be taken into account, along with how the fact that the state may have ALREADY changed its rules since Oct may impact that. I'm not sure if it is under that rule, though, but the campaign definitely needs to be aware of that if anyone is thinking of going that route.

sailingaway
05-03-2012, 07:44 PM
It changes the rule for binding delegates from the current proportional binding to not binding them.

Someone from Nevada said the rule only applied to the caucuses not the state convention. I don't know, myself.

anaconda
05-03-2012, 08:05 PM

But reading it another way we might "materially change the manner of binding delegates.." Wouldn't "unbinding" them be changing the manner of "binding" them?

PaulSoHard
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Why are their presses saying that Nevada is reallocating to give Romney 20 and Paul 8 now? Santorum and Gingrich haven't dropped out of this race.

sailingaway
05-03-2012, 08:10 PM
But reading it another way we might "materially change the manner of binding delegates.." Wouldn't "unbinding" them be changing the manner of "binding" them?

someone on another thread said that binding rule as made never applied to the state convention. I don't know, myself, but that is what someone from NV posted. In any event the star chamber 'love MItt in your heart' stuff has no basis anywhere that I know of.

anaconda
05-03-2012, 08:11 PM
This would at least ensure that they can't claim later that they made a mistake. There would be a record on tape of the rules and the fact that the officers of the convention were fully aware of them.

Are we getting multiple quality camcordings of these events from several angles? With good sound quality?

anaconda
05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
In RNC rule 38 it says they don't even recognize binding at the RNC, likely because they want all delegates to vote 'the establishment choice' even if the establishment choice lost their state.

Isn't Romney screwed then?

But in any event, that goes with thinking it doesn't mean delegates,

What does it mean if not delegates? Are you talking about binding or maybe something else?

assuming the rules themselves PERMIT delegates to change the rules at convention -- because then it wouldn't be in contravention of prior rules, but in accordance with them.

Would RP have enough supporters there to prevent a rule change? What kind of majority do they need to change a rule? 67%? 51%?

anaconda
05-03-2012, 08:50 PM

So lemme get this straight. Is NV currently "bound?" And the RNC is shitting bricks that they might change the rule this weekend?

sailingaway
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
So lemme get this straight. Is NV currently "bound?" And the RNC is shitting bricks that they might change the rule this weekend?

Yes. Because they expect us to have enough votes, and we hope we will, as well. Ron is speaking there this weekend.

DamianTV
05-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Yes. Because they expect us to have enough votes, and we hope we will, as well. Ron is speaking there this weekend.

Actually, not entirely true. Im a State Delegate, dont plan (cant afford) the National Convention. They were only bound for the first round, but State and National, the Delegates are Completely Unbound. That means the reported numbers mean exactly jack shit. And in two / three days (depending on how long our State Convention lasts) we are going to take them by STORM.