PDA

View Full Version : How does one even respond to the following insanity??

wfd40
11-15-2007, 02:23 PM
The following is an email chain started by my uncle, which was then responded to by me, followed by another fellow.

To all in response to wfd:

Brilliant analysis...I have considered your attachments carefully. Obviously we should have just called September 11th a nuisance and moved on (because according to Ron Paul we deserved it based on US actions in 1953) and then when the next attack occurred... call that one a nuisance too and then ...etc.. etc.. etc..).

Stick with Ron Paul and in 20 years we'll all be praying 5 times daily to Mecca and our women will be wearing burkas.

(For those who have to deal with reality... peace is not the absence of war - peace is the absence of tyranny)

------------------------
Written by me:
To Uncle Phil et all,

With all do respect, Zuckerman's position is absurd. Please consider the following quite carefully:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety , deserve neither Liberty nor Safety and so lose both ."
-Benjamin Franklin

"The American people become less secure when we risk major conflict driven by commercial interests. Victory under these circumstances is always elusive, and unintended consequences are inevitable."
-Congressman Ron Paul
March 1st, 2002

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
-----------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA - Ron Paul: A New Hope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFfdB5OzlyQ - Ron Paul: When in the course of human events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_HuFtP8w8 - Ron Paul: Don't Tread on Me
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6kYxlEfUSdY - Ron Paul takes on Ben Bernanke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZsZ0_OLer4 - Ron Paul on Kudlow talking Monetary Policy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8 - RonPaul: Stop Dreaming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvrrPCkHKLw - Ron Paul on 'Blowback'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DqY8iIxe2c - Our Power, our Responsibility

----------------

and for the upcoming December 16th Boston Tea Party fundraiser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZmIzEMUN8 - Ron Paul: Tea Party07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDlO2Lr_cg - Ron Paul: Land of the Free

Regards,
wfd

On Nov 15, 2007 10:42 AM, Phil wrote:

The Case for Surveillance
By Mortimer B. Zuckerman

How does any civilized nation cope with fanatical barbarism? What kind
of people will plot to murder thousands--so crazed with hate they will
kill their own families for the cause? Even after 9/11 we have been slow
to recognize the nature of the beast we face. It is hard for us to
comprehend the mentality of, say, the group of 21 homegrown suicidal
jihadists apprehended last year in Britain. We now know not only that
they were prepared to blow up 10 civilian airliners flying from London
to the United States--which might have killed as many as 3,500 innocent
people--but also that they planned to avoid airport scrutiny by
traveling with their wives and children and were thus prepared to
execute their nearest and dearest.

As a free society, we are remarkably vulnerable. Our open borders permit
second-generation terrorists from Europe to infiltrate under the legal
visa waiver program. We admit many imams from Egypt and Pakistan trained
in Saudi Arabia under the extremist perversion of Islam known as
Wahhabism. The consequences of our tolerance are spelled out in a recent
report by the New York City Police Counterterrorism Department. It
focuses on how difficult it is to follow the "trajectory of
radicalization"--the behavior and whereabouts of homegrown radical
Islamists. That New York report has to be read with the most recent
National Intelligence Estimate that the external threat from al Qaeda
has not waned despite expanded worldwide counterterrorism efforts.

This is the context in which to consider the protests about tightening
electronic surveillance, led by the liberal New York Times and the
ultraliberal New Yorker and espoused by Democrats who watered down the
recent reform legislation--including an insistence that it be reviewed
in six months. How far should security concerns impinge on privacy? The
administration says the balance has to be recalibrated. The trouble is
that the administration has lost much of its moral authority. As USA
Today put it, the White House "has all the credibility of a teenager who
has squandered his allowance and is demanding more money."

True--but on this issue, it has a real case.

Until the law was changed, bin Laden himself could have made a telephone
call from Waziristan to Singapore and, if it were carried on a fiber
optic cable that passes through the United States (as are the vast
majority of long-distance calls), we would not have been able to listen
without prior permission from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act
court. FISA had to approve all interceptions of foreign-to-foreign
communications coming through American wires, fiber optic cables, and
switching stations. With warrants to the FISA court backed up, as much
as two thirds of potential intelligence from U.S. eavesdropping
capabilities was being lost. The director of national intelligence, Adm.
Mike McConnell, gave Congress specific examples, such as one involving
the capture of three American soldiers in Iraq.

Broader reach. Congress was right to eliminate the restrictions.
Warrantless wiretaps will no longer be limited to "known foreign
terrorists" but will include surveillance of the larger universe of
"foreign targets," including America's enemies who are state actors and
others not linked directly to al Qaeda, on the theory that if you can't
find the needle, you have to examine the haystack.

Many of the Democrats supported the warrantless listening because they
feared the political consequences of a terrorist attack occurring while
they were on summer vacation--and because they had not taken the lead to
plug the electronic intelligence gap. The Democrats have been
politically vulnerable on national security and counterterrorism going
back to the days of Jimmy Carter, who was so naive about the intentions
of the Soviet Union when it invaded Afghanistan. (And Carter is still
willing to accommodate some of the most hostile enemies of the United
States.)

Even now, Democrats are focusing on the scariest possible interpretation
of the new law, ignoring its well-crafted rules to protect Americans. In
addition to putting in the six-month expiration, they have failed to
provide liability protection to U.S. telecommunication companies. Some
of these have stopped cooperating with the National Security Agency
since the program was exposed.

The Democrats should think again. Their concerns for American liberty
are commendable, but if there is a serious terrorist attack, the outcry
from the American public will force any government to enforce security
measures that transform our way of life. We must have a bipartisan
policy. The president would do well to work with leaders of Congress to
agree jointly on an independent body to monitor the procedures. We have
distinguished retired leaders who could do this. To allow essential
security to become just a point of contention will only damage the
country and the American people.

This story appears in the September 3, 2007 print edition of U.S. News &
World Report.

There's a lot of people on this email chain (100+)... how to tactfully respond??
(I ask you all because the tiger in me wants to rip this guy a new one).

ctb619
11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Michael Scheuer

wfd40
11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
link??

dspectre
11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Ron Paul didn't say anything about "deserving" anything. The government's bad policy is why the People pay for it. It's not the people's fault, it's the governments implementation of bad policy.

Hmmm it's very difficult to respond against this guy without getting a little emotional, such as "If you want safety, then go to a prison. That is what he government is slowing working towards."

20 years, is this guy a psychic or something? No one knows what is going to happen in 20 years. This guy likes to live in fear.

ctb619
11-15-2007, 02:32 PM
link??

Google him or youtube him. He is the former head of the CIA Bin Laden unit and agrees with Ron Paul that the motivation for Islamic "terrorism" against US targets is the result of US foreign policy. Scheuer is one of the nation's foremost experts on Islamic terrorism, a bit more credibility than Zuckerman.

billm317
11-15-2007, 02:37 PM
"Ron Paul blames Americans for 9/11"
I like to point out that Ron Paul was merely repeating what our CIA and the 9/11 Commission Report stated. Does your uncle feel he knows more than the head of the bin Laden unit?

Americans were not responsible for 9/11. US foreign policy, however, did play a factor. Can your uncle differentiate between the two? It's rather simple.

Also, what Ron Paul says here is common sense. If China (or pick another country) sets up shop in the Gulf of Mexico and starts throwing up bases around us, how do you think we'll feel? Think we might get a little "terroristic"?

I bet your uncle is wearing a Sean Hannity shirt right now.

micahnelson
Brilliant analysis...I have considered your attachments carefully. Obviously we should have just called September 11th a nuisance and moved on (because according to Ron Paul we deserved it based on US actions in 1953) and then when the next attack occurred... call that one a nuisance too and then ...etc.. etc.. etc..).

Stick with Ron Paul and in 20 years we'll all be praying 5 times daily to Mecca and our women will be wearing burkas.

(For those who have to deal with reality... peace is not the absence of war - peace is the absence of tyranny)

The attacks of September 11th were the act of a group of terrorists. We began executing a war with them, then got sidetracked by nation building in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Ron Paul never stated we deserved the attacks. That is a lie and by saying it you are either parroting a lie or are, yourself, a liar.

What he did say is that our interventionist foreign policy, especially in terms of the middle east, can create unintended problems for us down the road. For instance, when we gave Nuclear material to North Korea (with good intentions, no doubt) - we jump started the North Korean Nuclear weapons program. We must be very wise and judicious in our approach abroad.

Our involvement in the middle east began in 1953 to prop up a pro western king in Iran. This led to the taking of our citizens as hostages. We have been allies and enemies of almost every actor in the region. 50 Years of insanity have taught us what Ronald Reagan stated after pulling our troops from Lebanon. We cannot work with the irrationality of Middle East Politics. We would be wise to listen to Ronald Reagan's wisdom on the issue- and Ron Paul is the only candidate who is suggesting that course of action.

The people in the region are going to be violent towards each other, and we should stay out of it. It is bleeding our country dry economically, and is not giving us anything of benefit in return.

Most of the country knows that by now, but Ron Paul knew it in 2002.

Zarxrax
Well first of all, call him on completely misrepresenting Ron Paul's position. Ron Paul has never said we "deserved" to be attacked. He simply stated the REASONS why we were attacked. There is a huge difference.

The statement that we will all have to become Muslim is simply absurd. He takes the idea not wanting to fight a preemptive war is equivalent to turning tail and submitting to any attackers who come our way. If HIS ideas were taken to such an extreme, it would be equivalent to saying that we ought to just nuke every other country on the face of the planet, so there will be no one left to attack America.

He claims peace is the absence of tyranny. Look in the mirror! Our own government is becoming quite tyrannical, and that is what we must fight to stop!

crimethinky
11-15-2007, 02:42 PM
tell them that out of control governments are much more dangerous than terrorists.

how many people did hitler kill in the short amount of time he was in power? at least ten million. how many people have terrorists killed in the past century? I would be willing to bet that they have killed less than a hundred thousand.

but it's really pointless to argue with these kind of people. they are brainwashed. they don't respond to logic because they are thinking with their reptilian brain. they are stuck in fight or flight mode. fear is very powerful.

me3
11-15-2007, 02:43 PM
How does one even respond to the following insanity??
Move the thread to the Ron Paul on the Issues forum?

jpa
11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Feel free to use this:

Ron Paul's would go after the real terrorists threats (he voted for action in afghanistan to go after Al Queda) while at the same time preventing the underlieing causes of suicide terrorism: occupation by foreign armies, loss of hope, poverty.
Ex-CIA Bin Laden expert Michael Scheuer has proven this in his book:
http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Hubris-West-Losing-Terror/dp/1574888498
http://thinkdemocracy.wordpress.com/2007/05/16/ron-paul-vs-giuliani-on-the-root-causes-of-terrorism/

We don't need to police the world to fight terrorism. We need to protect ourselves.

For those who have to deal with reality... we can't be lazy and give up our liberty & security to some all-knowing, all-powerful government that is supposedly going to protect us all from pyschotic killers. In the real world, we need to exercise our 2nd ammendment rights to protect ourselves (like Ron Paul advocates).

I for one would never let the Clinton Administration spy on me, my friends or my family. You do realize when you give up your rights, you are giving them up to whoever is currently in power?

Danny Molina
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Call your uncle a "low-life neocon" and don't invite him to this years Christmas party.

crimethinky
11-15-2007, 02:53 PM
also, there is no way muslims could ever conquer america and force us to pray to mecca. your uncle is living in a dreamworld.

america is a superpower, the only superpower on the earth. a few cave dwellers are not going to ever be able to force us to convert. no matter how many planes they hijack, they could never do that.

it's hilarious that people actually fall for this stuff.

runderwo
11-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Ron reluctantly voted to authorize force to go after the 9/11 terrorists. He offered the letters of marque and reprisal as an alternative because he feared Afghanistan would turn into nation building under the authorization of force, and he was right. While the 9/11 terrorists (mostly Saudi and Pakistani) escaped to Pakistan, we went in the opposite direction and invaded Iraq, over Ron's objections (again, because it would turn into nation building, in his own words undeclared wars never end). Invading Iraq at that point was an obvious blunder, regardless of its legality and morality, if the goal was to bring 9/11 attackers to justice.

Your uncle is seriously confused if he thinks Ron would not defend the country if attacked. When you're materially threatened or attacked, you declare war, fight the war -- enjoying full popular support because you have the moral upper hand and an imperative to defend yourself -- until a truce is declared, and walk away victorious in the end. It's undeclared wars that are no-win and divide the public opinion and that's why Ron opposes them aside from being unconstitutional.

280Z28
11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Ron Paul would have moved to quickly and financially efficiently extract those responsible from hiding. And he could do so with minimal financial overhead and little to no additional loss of life. If Ron Paul were president after 9/11, we could have been there and back with the responsible people in weeks.

If you think Ron Paul is weak or timid in protecting us, just look at his reaction to the implication during the debates that he is succumbing to the will of leaders in the Middle East in regards to his foreign policy.

Under a Ron Paul presidency, the population will be more united and patriotic than anyone can remember. With a defensively strategic military under an intelligent leader with full support of Congress and the American people, may God have mercy on anyone who tries to attack our homeland when they are squashed like ants so fast their still-alive next door neighbors' heads will be spinning.

bbachtung
11-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Your uncle has drunk the Kool-Aid . . . it is too late to save him.

JMann
What war did you uncle fight in? How many Americans and Iraqis does he want to kill before we are 'safe'? Sounds to me like he is a small minded man with little ability to form his own opinions. Best to let him be and wallow in his own filth.

Anti Federalist
Kill freedom to protect freedom.

Where have I heard this before?

pdavis
11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Videos including Michael Sheuer (former Head of CIA's Bin Laden Unit):
Who Speaks for Islam (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1880634439334260747&q=michael+scheuer&total=60&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=7)

Educating Rudy Press Conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAt6Pf7jZjA)

Mr. Sheuer mentions that the US government is the one "marching to the drums of al-Qaeda" (referring to the Fox News debate) in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNfuIvtLos).
He also mentions that Ron Paul is the only person that understands al-Qaeda at the end of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WgqUb8X6AA).

RobotJaxxon
11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
If a crazy person comes at you with a knife, stabs you, then runs away, what is a reasonable response? Buy a gun and shoot everyone who matches his general description? What unintended consequences could that bring on you?

Maybe you could ask questions. Find out where he lives. Try to get help and support from your friends and neighbors, or others who just believe in justice. Try to understand why he attacked you...maybe he's not crazy and had some reasoning behind his action. Maybe others might be after you. Maybe there's something about you that will make people want to kill you for the rest of your life, and just asking a few questions could help you understand why. Would you want to become someone who points a gun at anyone who looks at you funny just because some crazy person stabbed you once? Wouldn't going around pointing guns at everyone make you less safe?!?

Hmm. After re-reading that, perhaps that wouldn't convince a neo-con. I think the warmongers are beyond convincing.

terlinguatx
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM

quickmike
11-15-2007, 04:01 PM

I would reply to this by asking how they imagine a few thousand whack jobs would take over a country of over 300 million people by force, not to mention over 100 million of us are gun owners, without any navy ships to get them to our shores, no airforce to fly them here without getting shot down in less than 10 minutes after they took off.

Their wives might be wearing burkas, but not mine. Im not cowardly enough to allow something like that to happen to my family. I would defend to the death, and so would millions of others, so im not too worried about radical Islamists taking over our country. In fact, the idea is totally ridiculous to me and I cant believe anyone in their right mind would be paranoid enough to believe that it is something that could even be remotely possible.

Who are these sheltered pussies anyway? Have they never heard of self defense?

Its too bad so many people are afraid to defend themselves from an outside threat. Instead, they want big daddy government to to go overseas and start crap with other countries, bombing people who have done nothing to us in the first place.

What a sad bunch of impotent cowards this country has become, assuming this is how the majority thinks.

LOL

DealzOnWheelz
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
So from what I gather from your uncle's statement I should go around punching people in the face just to prevent them from punching me first.

HHHMMMMM......

ask him how much research he has done to get to this conclussion and when he tells you the media...

ask him again how much research has he done to get to this conclussion.

Goldwater Conservative
11-15-2007, 05:09 PM
If this guy has his way, the terrorists will win, since they'll have been able to get us to sacrifice our own civil liberties and waste our wealth and manpower on wars that are actually increasing the terrorist threat. Less freedom, a weaker economy, and open and defenseless borders even as terrorists multiply... exactly what they want. We are helping their recruitment efforts and doing the preliminary work for any future attacks they want to execute against us.

wfd40
11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Call your uncle a "low-life neocon" and don't invite him to this years Christmas party.

it's not my uncle! It's one of the people he CCed in the giant email chain.

quickmike
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
If this guy has his way, the terrorists will win, since they'll have been able to get us to sacrifice our own civil liberties and waste our wealth and manpower on wars that are actually increasing the terrorist threat. Less freedom, a weaker economy, and open and defenseless borders even as terrorists multiply... exactly what they want. We are helping their recruitment efforts and doing the preliminary work for any future attacks they want to execute against us.

EGGzactly!!!

Pauls' Revere
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Definition of Tyrant: n, Gr. ]tyrannos,lord, absolute sovereign, usurper.
1) an absolute ruler; specifically in ancient Greece, etc.. one who seized sovereignty illegally; a usurper.
2) a cruel oppressive ruler; a despot.
3) one who exercises his authority in an oppressive manner; a cruel master.
4)any tyrannical power or influence; as the tyrant habit.
5) one fo the Tyrannidae; a flycatcher: also called tyrant flycatcher.

SOURCE: Websters New Universial Uabridged Dictionary (1983) pg. 1980.

OPINION: Interseting in that looking up the definition of "tyrant" I suddenly remember Condaleeza Rice's Statement about "swatting flies", remember that?

Corydoras
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Broader reach. Congress was right to eliminate the restrictions. Warrantless wiretaps will no longer be limited to "known foreign terrorists" but will include surveillance of the larger universe of "foreign targets," including America's enemies who are state actors and others not linked directly to al Qaeda, on the theory that if you can't find the needle, you have to examine the haystack.

There will be no stopping the reach of this kind of warrantless surveillance. It will get to the point where if your college-aged kid sends a fax of math problems to a professor who's on vacation visiting relatives in Lebanon, your kid will be on a surveillance list forever.

Warrantless search is fundamentally against American values. There is no point fighting for our society if we have destroyed the values that distinguish America from the rest of the world.

Ncturnal
11-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Please send this to your neocon uncle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7aFXRAW7mg