PDA

View Full Version : Amazon to collect sales tax, create 2,500 jobs in Texas

aGameOfThrones
04-30-2012, 09:37 AM
If Amazon's been your internet safe haven from the ravages of sales tax, you may want to sit down. As part of a settlement with the great state of Texas, Bezos' baby will start collecting the state's requisite 6.25-percent sales tax on July 1st. The settlement resolves the online retailer's ongoing dispute with the Lone Star state, which claimed that Amazon owed $269 million in back taxes. In addition to taking up collection, Amazon has agreed to create at least 2,500 jobs and invest a minimum of $200 million in capital investments, though it admits no fault, and believes "the assessment was without merit," according to its latest SEC filing. Grouped in with Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota and Washington, this agreement makes Texas the sixth state to collect sales tax from Amazon -- and California, Nevada and Arizona will join the collection club in due time. Check out the source links below for the Texas Comptroller's official statement and more reading on Amazon's tax agreements across the nation.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/30/amazon-to-collect-sales-tax-create-2-500-jobs-in-texas/

A comment...

Kevin M Bailey
55 minutes ago
Good point. *Just because Amazon doesn't include the sales tax on your order doesn't mean you don't OWE the tax. * You are supposed to keep track of it and pay it as "use tax". * If you don't, you are a tax cheat, and if you ever run for Congress some Super PAC will produce ads saying that if you can't be trusted to pay the taxes you owe, you'll probably just take bribes and line your own pocket if you get elected.

Easier to buy from online retailers who charge the tax and keep you honest.

lib3rtarian
04-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Taxes, taxes..will they ever say we need less taxes? Cut all governments to the bone so that this tax business can be stopped forever.

jkr
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
cheater?!!?

like this is some fking game?

sick

azxd
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Amazon has agreed to create at least 2,500 jobs and invest a minimum of $200 million in capital investments
Another distribution center ?

bwlibertyman
04-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I am disappointed that Amazon fell to the pressure. They had the strategy that they would not create jobs in states that wanted to charge them sales tax. Texas went from not taxing online sales to taxing online sales and Amazon shut the doors and fired 300 people because the state wanted to charge them sales tax.

It was nice while it lasted I guess.

Magsec
04-30-2012, 11:03 AM
That really diminishes their competitive edge. Why wait a week for something to arrive when I can just drive a mile to Target and pick it up for the same amount?

Liberty74
04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Texas needs money to pay for all the illegal's college education they have promised.

The power to tax is the power to destroy. In this case, Amazon customers in TX will be poorer and I am sure Amazon will lose customers, not gain.

DE is a sales tax free state minus vehicles which is only 3%. The income tax is very small but I would prefer no income tax and a small sales tax if I had to choose.

I love Amazon BTW. Buy stuff ALL the time because it's generally cheaper. The next thing govts will do is pass a law telling them they can't undercut the box stores.

heavenlyboy34
04-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Texas needs money to pay for all the illegal's college education they have promised.

The power to tax is the power to destroy. In this case, Amazon customers in TX will be poorer and I am sure Amazon will lose customers, not gain.

DE is a sales tax free state minus vehicles which is only 3%. The income tax is very small but I would prefer no income tax and a small sales tax if I had to choose.

I love Amazon BTW. Buy stuff ALL the time because it's generally cheaper. The next thing govts will do is pass a law telling them they can't undercut the box stores.
IIRC, the AZ regime has made a similar "promise", but there's still no Amazon tax here. Hopefully it never comes-I am love amazon! :D

azxd
04-30-2012, 01:24 PM
IIRC, the AZ regime has made a similar "promise", but there's still no Amazon tax here. Hopefully it never comes-I am love amazon! :DAny idea how many distribution centers we have ?
I lost count.

jbauer
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
We're lucky....

They're bringing a distrabution center to TN, so our loop hole is soon to be closed