PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens to good cops ...

Occam's Banana
04-30-2012, 06:24 AM
http://lewrockwell.com/grigg/grigg-w256.html

Officer Regina Tasca Goes 'Rogue'
by Willaim N. Grigg

Regina Tasca is a "rogue cop" - and God bless her for it.

Tasca is in the middle of disciplinary hearings that may result in her termination from the Bogota, New Jersey Police Department. She stands accused of "bizarre and outlandish" behavior in two incidents a year ago during which she revealed herself to be "A danger to other police officers."

Her first supposed offense – which wasn't mentioned until after the second – was a failure to assist another officer who was "attacked" by a drunken woman who was roughly half his weight and barely five feet tall. Her second was was to intervene when a police officer from another jurisdiction viciously assaulted an emotionally troubled young man who was not suspected of a crime.

"I consider myself a peace officer," Tasca told Pro Libertate. "My thing is to help make sure that people are safe, and that they don’t have a reason to fear the police – that we treat them like human beings. The incident that started all of this was one in which I intervened to prevent excessive force against a kid who was the subject of a medical call, not a criminal suspect."

[...]

As a veteran with nearly twenty years in law enforcement, Tasca has noticed a dramatic change in the institutional culture of law enforcement in recent years.

"I think what we’re seeing is a lot of kids who are given power and immediately begin to abuse it," Tasca observes. "Some of these guys are as young as 18 years old. You give them a uniform, and it goes right to their head. And even many of those that don’t do abusive things miss the point, which is that we’re supposed to be peace officers. They get a badge and a gun and they think they’re gods, or at least that they’re entitled to treat people like dirt. I see them as people, and insist on treating them like I’d want to be treated."

In contemporary law enforcement, commitment to the Golden Rule is a firing offense. Just ask Ramon Perez, whose experience is strikingly similar to that of Regina Tasca.

Perez, a probationary officer who had won the top leadership award at his police academy, was cashiered by the Austin, Texas Police Department as a result of his refusal to use a Taser on an elderly, non-violent man during a domestic disturbance in January 2005. The order was unconstitutional, illegal, a violation of the guidelines in the department’s handbook and, most importantly, immoral.

A few days after that incident, Perez was given a punitive transfer to the night shift. Two months later, Perez was told to report to APD psychologist Carol Logan to undergo what he was told would be a "communication" exercise. In fact, it was a disguised "fit-for-duty review" intended to ratify the pre-ordained decision to fire him.

[...]

Bogota Police Officer Regina Tasca Suspended
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVOj-SoDeHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVOj-SoDeHQ

Pericles
04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Why there are few, and getting to be fewer ervery day, good cops left.

azxd
04-30-2012, 08:48 AM
As long as the mentality of cops = enemies persists, the number of good ones will continue to diminish.

MarkRun
04-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Boycott the police.

fisharmor
04-30-2012, 08:58 AM
As long as the mentality of cops = enemies persists, the number of good ones will continue to diminish.

Yeah, 'cause ultimately, we're responsible for her getting fired.
:rolleyes:

libertyjam
04-30-2012, 09:00 AM
As long as lampposts cannot be utilized to discourage abuses of authority, the number of good ones will continue to diminish.

azxd
04-30-2012, 09:16 AM
As long as the mentality of cops = enemies persists, the number of good ones will continue to diminish.http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lrviev6PCm1qhtgtpo1_400.jpg

Occam's Banana
04-30-2012, 09:34 AM

And just how, pray tell, does the "cops = enemies" mentality come into play with respect to the Tasca or Perez stories?

What *does* figure in those stories (and in others like them) - and figures *prominently* - is the "thin blue line" mentality (referenced in passing early in the OP 'tube).

Why are there fewer good cops? Because truly good cops are drummed out of their jobs (or otherwise punished) for having the fortitude to stand up against what is clearly wrong.

Try to spin it however you like. The fact that some of us peons - and truly good cops - see what is happening (and don't like it) has *nothing* to do with it.

Your (implicit) assertion that the proportion of bad cops is increasing becase of a "cops = enemies" mentality is a bizarre & unsupportable apologia.

jmdrake
04-30-2012, 09:45 AM

LOL. I was wondering what your reaction would be. So are you willing to admit that the officers this lady was standing up against are the enemy? If this lady hadn't been a cop and was just a concerned citizen and if she had gotten beat down herself would you have said she just got what she deserved?

The only way to get away from the cops = enemies mentality is to differentiate good behavior from bad behavior and not make excuses for the latter.

jmdrake
04-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah, 'cause ultimately, we're responsible for her getting fired.
:rolleyes:

+rep

azxd
04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
The only way to get away from the cops = enemies mentality is to differentiate good behavior from bad behavior and not make excuses for the latter.No argument with this ... But it is true that some do not differentiate ... YES ?

kcchiefs6465
04-30-2012, 09:56 AM
As long as 'roid raged, tormented as a child, bullies are employed for the services of peace officers the numbers will continue to diminish. I'm not sure how high you expect these "good ones" to number but this is about the first one I've seen. So I am not too worried about the one or two that might eventually become "bad" (as a consequence of my disdain) but rather the hundreds that are already corrupted.

kcchiefs6465
04-30-2012, 09:57 AM
No argument with this ... But it is true that some do not differentiate ... YES ?
I can attest to that azxd. I personally despise all cops equally. Just a matter of opinion I suppose. And personal experiences.

azxd
04-30-2012, 09:58 AM
As long as 'roid raged, tormented as a child, bullies are employed for the services of peace officers the numbers will continue to diminish. I'm not sure how high you expect these "good ones" to number but this is about the first one I've seen. So I am not too worried about the one or two that might eventually become "bad" (as a consequence of my disdain) but rather the hundreds that are already corrupted.Banging the drum of opposition is less effective than infiltration.

azxd
04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Banging the drum of opposition is less effective than infiltration.That's why I like Ron Paul ... He didn't stand on the sideline and bang a drum, while complaining about his ills.
He got involved.

kcchiefs6465
04-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Banging the drum of opposition is less effective than infiltration.
Which makes me wonder why you do it? If, as I sometimes find myself suspecting, your motives are to "infiltrate."

phill4paul
04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
I wonder if the Police Benevolence Association and her Union will fight as hard to get her reinstated with back pay as they do those that killed unarmed citizens or committed flagrant police brutality against citizens or hang and beat their K-9 partners.

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2012, 10:14 AM
As a veteran with nearly twenty years in law enforcement, Tasca has noticed a dramatic change in the institutional culture of law enforcement in recent years.

"I think what we’re seeing is a lot of kids who are given power and immediately begin to abuse it," Tasca observes. "Some of these guys are as young as 18 years old. You give them a uniform, and it goes right to their head. And even many of those that don’t do abusive things miss the point, which is that we’re supposed to be peace officers. They get a badge and a gun and they think they’re gods, or at least that they’re entitled to treat people like dirt. I see them as people, and insist on treating them like I’d want to be treated."

In contemporary law enforcement, commitment to the Golden Rule is a firing offense.

And that is the most concerning part. The experienced and wise, 60 year old, small town Sheriff patrolling the town is being replaced by kids given power and sent out to do whatever they want. This is a well known pattern. If you want people to do violent acts without conscience, you recruit the young. Think Khmer Rouge, Kony and your average street gang...that is how it ends.

PaulConventionWV
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM

Lol. The bad cops are the ones that fired the good cops, not the cops=enemies mentality. We didn't do any of that. It just happened without our consent.

PaulConventionWV
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
No argument with this ... But it is true that some do not differentiate ... YES ?

No.

Occam's Banana
04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes. Yes, it is.

But which is more dangerous to our liberties & our lives?

- cop critics who fail to differentiate between good & bad behavior by cops

OR

- cops (& the bureaucracies behind them) who fail to differentiate between good & bad behavior by cops

I submit that the latter are *far* more dangerous - by so many orders of magnitude that to criticize the overzealousness of the former while soft-pedaling the abuses of the latter is egregiously misguided.

jmdrake
04-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Ummmmm....no that's not true. At least I haven't seen that here. Have you seen anyone in this thread claim the cop being fired was anything other than a good cop? By contrast I've seen some people like you make excuses for what is clearly bad behavior. Case in point when the cop tripped the woman, slammed her into the pavement face first, and you said she "just tripped over his leg, BFD". When you do things like that you lose credibility if you later want to say you are differentiating between good and bad cop behavior. Wait a minute? I think I just agreed with you. Some don't differentiate. Some call bad behavior "good".

For the record, the OP story is good cop behavior. This is bad cop behavior.

http://i.imgur.com/X23y5.gif

Here's more good cop behavior.

http://www.occupypolice.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CaptRayLewis.jpg

Here's more bad cop behavior. Jump to 3:40 to see the truly horrific behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etv8YEqaWgA&feature=related

Good cop behavior.

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/48/4898/2V89G00Z/posters/jack-birns-police-officer-leading-man-across-street.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/rooster-rescue-0227.jpg

Any questions?

Occam's Banana
04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
"I think what we’re seeing is a lot of kids who are given power and immediately begin to abuse it," Tasca observes. "Some of these guys are as young as 18 years old. You give them a uniform, and it goes right to their head. And even many of those that don’t do abusive things miss the point, which is that we’re supposed to be peace officers. They get a badge and a gun and they think they’re gods, or at least that they’re entitled to treat people like dirt. I see them as people, and insist on treating them like I’d want to be treated."And that is the most concerning part. The experienced and wise, 60 year old, small town Sheriff patrolling the town is being replaced by kids given power and sent out to do whatever they want. This is a well known pattern. If you want people to do violent acts without conscience, you recruit the young. Think Khmer Rouge, Kony and your average street gang...that is how it ends.
That quote is one of the most important & telling parts of the story. (I was going to re-cite it in my first reply but left it out for conciseness.)

And the factors you point out are exacerbated by para-militarization of law enforcment, "war on terror" paranoia, and variations of "war on cops" memes which foster a "forcible-domination" approach by LEOs to any situation (even otherwise harmless ones, such as the incidents Officer Tasca was involved in).

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
...which foster a "forcible-domination" approach by LEOs to any situation (even otherwise harmless ones, such as the incidents Officer Tasca was involved in).

Truth there. They have taken tactics and techniques from hard-core prisons and applied them to the average person on the street. Judge, jury and prison guard all rolled into one officer on the streets with nearly no accountability.

kuckfeynes
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Yep. The mantra of my parents' generation was "don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch."

Now, it's more like "a few good apples cannot exist for long in a rotting barrel."

ProIndividual
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Riiiight, blame the victims.

They are perceived as enemies for being abusive, not being abusive for being perceived as enemies.

Captain Shays
04-30-2012, 04:41 PM
LOL. I was wondering what your reaction would be. So are you willing to admit that the officers this lady was standing up against are the enemy? If this lady hadn't been a cop and was just a concerned citizen and if she had gotten beat down herself would you have said she just got what she deserved?

The only way to get away from the cops = enemies mentality is to differentiate good behavior from bad behavior and not make excuses for the latter.

Drake. THIS is why I am one of your biggest fans

Occam's Banana
09-26-2012, 01:53 AM
Relevance bump.

SEE: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?391019-Regina-Tasca-update-via-Will-Grigg

Indy Vidual
09-26-2012, 02:08 AM
What country are we talking about? :o

acptulsa
09-26-2012, 06:00 AM
When you do things like that you lose credibility if you later want to say you are differentiating between good and bad cop behavior. Wait a minute? I think I just agreed with you. Some don't differentiate. Some call bad behavior "good".

And some think the only bad behavior within the department is any attempt to differentiate good and bad behavior. And when that attitude permeates a department, the community goes straight to hell.