PDA

View Full Version : GA-Cops called for help with "suicidal" man with rifle, cops show up and shoot him dead.

Anti Federalist
04-29-2012, 02:51 PM
So, lessons learned:

1 - Do not call 911 for help with possibly suicidal people if you can at all avoid it.

2 - Do not get angry at cops who shoot your family members. You will get arrested.

Not sure what to make of this one just yet, something smells fishy though.

Police: Man aimed rifle at officers before shooting

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/police-man-aimed-rifle-1426816.html

The 32-year-old Gwinnett County man shot dead by two police officers was pointing a rifle at the officers just before he was shot, police said Friday. Two of the man's family members were later arrested at the scene after learning of his death.

Officers were called to a home in the 500 block of Trophy Trail, off Five Forks Trickum Road, around 6:30 p.m. after receiving a call about a man threatening suicide, said Cpl. Jake Smith, spokesman for the Gwinnett County Police Department. The caller said a man, later identified as James Clark, had already cut himself and had fired two shots, Smith said.

When officers arrived at the home, they were confronted by a man, later identified as James Clark, who had a weapon, Smith said.

"It appeared to be a deer rifle with a scope," Smith said.

Officers attempted to negotiate with Clark on the driveway of the home for 15 minutes, and at one point, he set the rifle down. But he then picked it up again and climbed on the roof of a car while yelling at officers, Smith said Friday.

When Clark began walking toward two officers while pointing the rifle at them, the officers fired shots, killing Clark shortly after 7 p.m., Smith said.

"There came a time when the officers felt threatened," he said.

Although family members claimed that the gun was a BB or pellet gun, officers confirmed late Thursday that it was Remington 721 deer rifle, Smith said.

A man who identified himself as Robert Clark, James Clark's brother, said his brother was not suicidal, and that officers did not have to open fire.

"I don't know what happened," an emotional Robert Clark said. "I just know he's dead."

James Clark lived in the home with a girlfriend and roommate and has a 3-year-old daughter, Robert Clark said. No one was in the home at the time of the shooting, according to police.

Family members were kept away from the shooting scene as police investigated Thursday night. A man identified as the Clarks' father, 65-yeaer-old Thomas Clark, pulled up in a maroon sedan and began shouting at officers about his deceased son.

"Who shot him?" Thomas Clark shouted at officers. "Who killed him?"

Both Thomas and Robert Clark, 34, were yelling obscenities at officers for several minutes until they were each handcuffed and taken away from the scene.

"This is the worst thing imaginable for a parent," Smith said.

Both were charged with disorderly conduct and booked into the Gwinnett County Jail, where their bond was set at $135 each, according to booking records. Both Thomas and Robert Clark were released shortly before 1 a.m. Friday, jail records show.

Investigators were expected to remain at the home for several hours, Smith said. The two officers involved in the shooting were taken away from the scene and placed on routine administrative leave pending an investigation, he said.

Late Thursday, officers obtained a search warrant for the home, Smith said.

- Dispatch editor Angel K. Brooks contributed to this report.

tod evans
04-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I hope somebody had the presence of mind to shoot video...

The poor kid....loosing a parent.......Heck, poor family!

I'll bet one cyber dollar the cops who investigate the other cops call the killing "justified". :mad:

pcosmar
04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Disorderly conduct?

The parent had just found his child murdered..
Give me a friggin' break. :mad:

And just who the f**k made the call ?
Who determined that this guy was suicidal,, and what are their credentials.

Since when are "police" considered mental heath care givers?

this world is FUBAR.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I wonder if he would have gotten off for shooting the cops because he felt threatened by them.
That was rhetorical.

Brian4Liberty
04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
something smells fishy though

Here it is:

Late Thursday, officers obtained a search warrant for the home, Smith said.

Sounds like they are going to smear the victim and/or his family to deflect blame.

kathy88
04-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Here it is:

Sounds like they are going to smear the victim and/or his family to deflect blame.

That's exactly what I thought. Why would they need a search warrant for a suicide?

Flugel89
04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm not defending anyone, but what does it matter whether it was a BB gun or actual firearm.

When they are pointed at you, you don't know if its real or not.

Just thought that was a weird comment.

That they are getting a search warrant is fishy as hell. What exactly are they looking for? Holes in their story?

phill4paul
04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Both Thomas and Robert Clark, 34, were yelling obscenities at officers for several minutes until they were each handcuffed and taken away from the scene.

Because the use of the First Amendment is now an arrestable offence.

Both were charged with disorderly <Contempt of Cop> conduct and booked into the Gwinnett County Jail, where their bond was set at $135 each, according to booking records.

Because First Amendments don't apply and can be scene as behaviour that can get you arrested.

The two officers involved in the shooting were taken away from the scene and placed on routine administrative leave pending an investigation, he said.

And advised agaist making stements until the Police Benevolence Administration and the officers Union appointed a lawyer for consultation.

pcosmar
04-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not defending anyone, but what does it matter whether it was a BB gun or actual firearm.

When they are pointed at you, you don't know if its real or not.

Just thought that was a weird comment.

That they are getting a search warrant is fishy as hell. What exactly are they looking for? Holes in their story?

I'm all about defense. On your own property you have every right to be armed (should be everywhere) ,, especially when confronting armed intruders.

I am more curious about the exact model being mentioned. An old and discontinued model..

This from sources that usually can not tell the difference between a shotgun and an AK.

(Remington Model 721 was discontinued in 1962)
http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/bolt-action/model-721.aspx

anaconda
04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
After the Ron Paul supporters take over the GOP, they need to take over all of the local law enforcement agencies at the state and local levels.

AME3
04-29-2012, 06:45 PM
One would hope that the police released them after getting them calmed down at the hospital. But I would be surprised if that's where they took them and why they arrested them....I would be very careful if I held a video of that situation. Make copies and send them to others. Especially if he didn't point the weapon at the LEO's.
Disorderly conduct?

The parent had just found his child murdered..
Give me a friggin' break. :mad:

And just who the f**k made the call ?
Who determined that this guy was suicidal,, and what are their credentials.

Since when are "police" considered mental heath care givers?

this world is FUBAR.

Flugel89
04-29-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm all about defense. On your own property you have every right to be armed (should be everywhere) ,, especially when confronting armed intruders.

I am more curious about the exact model being mentioned. An old and discontinued model..

This from sources that usually can not tell the difference between a shotgun and an AK.

(Remington Model 721 was discontinued in 1962)
http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/bolt-action/model-721.aspx

I'm always armed at home.

That comment about it being it being a BB gun just made me think of how my girlfriend's place of work was robbed a while back by a guy with an airsoft pistol.

They beat the shit out of him.

He got armed robbery anyway, as he should.

I just see the argument about it being a BB gun as a non-issue. The issue is if the cops killed him in cold blood.

azxd
04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.posterplanet.net/moviescd/images/dirty-harry-go-ahead-make-day-movie-poster-ANA5053.jpg