PDA

View Full Version : What if bound delegates are absent at the RNC?

TruePatriot44
04-29-2012, 12:15 PM
If on the first ballot, bound delegates and their alternates are not there to vote (say they walk out of the convention at that time), do they still count as votes for that individual? Basically a bunch of Paul supporters are bound delegates for Romney, can they walk out with the alternates to deny him the 1144 votes needed to secure the nomination?

sailingaway
04-29-2012, 12:18 PM
their alternates will fill in and the party machine will have plenty to fill in, I am sure. A majority of a quorum is needed, is all.

We need our folks for the procedural votes, in any event.

At least that is my thinking.

tbone717
04-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Sure, if 2288 people walk out of the RNC, theoretically there will not be enough delegates present to decide the nomination.

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Voting "present" is apparently acceptable in the senate. Maybe they should just try that.

sailingaway
04-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Voting "present" is apparently acceptable in the senate. Maybe they should just try that.

they won't even ask as I understand it for the bound ones, they will just submit the vote for them on the first ballot.

TruePatriot44
04-29-2012, 12:25 PM
they won't even ask as I understand it for the bound ones, they will just submit the vote for them on the first ballot.

Even if there are unoccupied delegate spots?

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-29-2012, 12:28 PM
How many states can release delegates at their state conventions?

PaulSoHard
04-29-2012, 12:30 PM
How many states can release delegates at their state conventions?
If you have a 2/3 majority to decide the rules, you can pretty much do anything

kathy88
04-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Who was there last Time? We need a solid answer on how the first round goes. Is there an actual voice/ballot vote? Or do the primary/caucus results just get tallied and it's automatic?

sailingaway
04-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Last time our guys who WANTED to vote against and were unbound weren't allowed to vote. This time we will have a presence harder to turn off a few mics on.

What happened last time wasn't necessarily within the rules.

As with the caucuses, they get away with what they can.

kathy88
04-29-2012, 12:49 PM
That's why we need to know the exact rules as they are now, as voted on in 2008 and amended in 2010. I guess I'll read through them. I have a copy.

sailingaway
04-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Terrific!!

I just meant how it went wasn't necessarily indicative of what the rules were.

WilliamC
04-29-2012, 01:13 PM
If you have a 2/3 majority to decide the rules, you can pretty much do anything

This.

With less than 1/3 solid supporters there is little we can do to change the Platform or gain concessions from the non-Paul nominee.

Having between 1/3 and 1/2 the votes means that, if we coordinate, we can stop the process and force compromises in order for the majority to be able to continue with whatever business they are trying to conduct.

Over 1/2 but less than 2/3rds then we have a majority and can substantially influence the nomination and largely control the Party Platform.

2/3rds or more and we can fire all the establishment leaders, elect our own, re-write the rules, and generally have our way with the entire process.

So even if worse comes to worse and Romney gets the nomination on the first vote if Paul has 1/3 or more of the delegates he will be able to wring concessions out of Romney and the GOP, real concessions that the party would include in it's platform and possibly getting control over the VP or major cabinet appointments.

This won't mean much to the avid anti-Republican types who think Ron should abandon the party and run independent, but it's a hell of a lot more control than the pro-liberty people have had in decades and should not be squandered.