PDA

View Full Version : Meetup CEO-Big change in system next week-interesting.

Dave Wood
11-15-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacob-soboroff/meetup-ceo-says-topsecre_b_72535.html

He mentions the RP campaign and its effect.

Says, this change will definitely change the presidential races for 2008...

DjLoTi
11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
I can't get the video to pull up because I'm at work, can anybody give me a recap?

PathIveMade
11-15-2007, 01:26 PM
cool! It sounds to me like they're going to put out something that in effect helps individual Meetup groups work together.

Dave Wood
11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I can't get the video to pull up because I'm at work, can anybody give me a recap?

He isnt willing to cough up a lot but he alludes to turning smaller ideas into "movements", and how difficult it is to connect local and national groups into one large group or movement...

Sounds to me like the RP effect has given them some ideas about the communication probs, links, coordination etc.

I have to watch again to offer any more but he said this will happen next week ar early next month....that part was confusing.

Sematary
11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
He isnt willing to cough up a lot but he alludes to turning smaller ideas into "movements", and how difficult it is to connect local and national groups into one large group or movement...

Sounds to me like the RP effect has given them some ideas about the communication probs, links, coordination etc.

I have to watch again to offer any more but he said this will happen next week ar early next month....that part was confusing.

I sent a series of emails last month expressing my frustration with the current system which makes it impossible to have coordinated contacts between ALL the meetups. Perhaps that helped? :D

hocaltar
11-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Man, I think you are correct. Meetup.com is going to be the new political/social networking site. However, I think that at first, the owners of meetup.com never saw the need for the connectivity at a national level. If the leader of all the meetup groups could send out mass emails to every group member that would be great.

Many people have complained about this, and it is an easy fix.

UtahApocalypse
11-15-2007, 01:53 PM
the Ron Paul thing has made meetup a success. They will definitely make changes to help in our efforts.

Pauliana
11-15-2007, 02:01 PM
We're such a cash-cow for meetup :)

DealzOnWheelz
11-15-2007, 02:07 PM
this is great

the pieces to this gigantic jigsaw puzzle are falling into place.

like Dominos

Now we just need to ride this wave to the WHITE HOUSE

JS4Pat
11-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Man, I think you are correct. Meetup.com is going to be the new political/social networking site. However, I think that at first, the owners of meetup.com never saw the need for the connectivity at a national level. If the leader of all the meetup groups could send out mass emails to every group member that would be great.

Many people have complained about this, and it is an easy fix.

Careful what you wish for...

We lose members because there is too much communication (too many e-mails).

Information overload.

We need a way to link everyone - but I don't know about just opening up the flood gates.

ronpaulyourmom
11-15-2007, 02:26 PM
If done right, this is a big deal.

Video states this change may come as early as a few weeks from now.

FluxCapacitor
11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Yes, if this is implemented correctly it could be a huge boon to all grassroots movements.

I just started using Meetup a few weeks ago, and the interface is very clunky.

It needs some sort of predictable hierarchy.

surf
11-15-2007, 03:02 PM
i just want them to incorporte a forum. the message board is worthless (in Seattle area)

Visual
11-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm expecting an option to have local groups join regional and national groups with forums and other tools. You'd still have your local group, but would be able to participate with other local groups regionally (such as small regions, states, portions of the US/other countries, national, world, etc) and then communicate between themselves through a forum, message board, possibly chat.

troyd1
11-15-2007, 03:18 PM
I used to go to meetups message board a lot, but it is lame and you cannot even search without using google. They need an upgrade.

MedicSean37
11-15-2007, 06:12 PM
This could make things very interesting in the next few months.

expatinireland
11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
I am new to the meetup platform but have found that e-mail delivery of messages is hit and miss. I find I must check my groups site to make sure I am not missing anything. Rather poor I must say.