PDA

View Full Version : Might want to get this out early: WV's voting process is similar to PA's!

PaulSoHard
04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Like in Pennsylvania, West Virginia elects its delegates to the National Convention on the day of the primary. So no CD convention or State Convention. Per the Green Papers, these are Ron Paul's delegates. You can vote up to 3 in each CD, it's a good thing the campaign made it easy

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/WV-R (scroll down to see)

Submitting an exact number of delegate candidates gives us somewhat of an advantage because Romney has submitted 25 delegate candidates, 6 more than he needs. Hopefully they spread their votes more among those 6 extra candidates. There's also an astounding 42 uncommitted at-large delegate candidates as well.

I hope everyone who's voting for Dr. Paul in WV next Tuesday realizes that the popular vote does not matter like in Pennsylvania's contest. You might want to check the campaign for confirmation on these delegates.

RDM
04-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Come on WV...don't screw this up like we did here in PA by not getting people working ALL the poll stations handing out delegate cards. CHOP CHOP...times a wasting. Get R Done.

drummergirl
04-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Hot diggity dog! Their ballot is similar enough to the one in Alabama to really help with the statistical analysis. Please, please, please, we NEED people in West Virginia to stay with the counting of the ballots. It looks like ES&S does most of the tabulation in west Virginia, so we'll probably see flipping Tuesday night. For the counties that tabulate at the precinct, we desperately need copies of the tapes.

HELP!

kathy88
04-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Come on WV...don't screw this up like we did here in PA by not getting people working ALL the poll stations handing out delegate cards. CHOP CHOP...times a wasting. Get R Done.

THIS is the most important thing!!! PLEASE make sure you have one person at each polling place handing out cards. PLEASE!!!!

MountaineerBill
04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
All,

Thanks for the interest in our primary. I'm actually one of the at-large (state-wide) delegate candidates here. I also made http://www.wv4ronpaul.com to get the word out. We're trying really hard; there's good Ron Paul support here, but no one knows how the primary works here...as in most states. Thanks Secretary of State...

Our "loophole" primary is like PA's, EXCEPT that the presidential candidate preference of each delegate candidate should be listed by their names....and candidates should be grouped by their preference (i.e. all "Paul-istas" together). Each county will have a ballot order for each group. It's also true that we (Paul-ers) are right at the optimum numbers of candidates for each position (Cong. District and state-wide, 'at-large') and Romney delegate votes can be very diluted. Some rumors on the ground here are that we might have one more state-wide delegate candidate than we need, but I have not confirmed this.

About working outside polling places, that can be hard here...there's a 300ft. requirement here. So you can be pretty far from some polling places. In my town, 300ft means your "half-way" down the holler around 4 turns with no where to stand. That doesn't mean we won't try and some polling places are in more accessible areas.

That's why I've been trying to spread my website around. Our system is very simple AND if all Ron Paul delegates are lumped together, it's that much easier.

Again, thanks for the interest. I'll keep you folks updated.

Bill

Bastiat's The Law
04-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Poll workers! We need teams at every polling place in the state.

Araskaz
04-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Poll workers! We need teams at every polling place in the state.
Sadly, in West Virginia we must be 300ft away from the polling place. They have a long string that they use to measure if a person is standing too close or not. You can't even mention who you are voting for or wear a button/shirt to vote in.

MountaineerBill
04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Sadly, in West Virginia we must be 300ft away from the polling place. They have a long string that they use to measure if a person is standing too close or not. You can't even mention who you are voting for or wear a button/shirt to vote in.

I think my polling place is only about 150ft away...;). What part of WV are you in Araskaz?

Brent Ricketts
04-30-2012, 06:10 PM
My name is Brenton Ricketts and I am running for a delegate spot to the National Convention. I am in District 2 out of Jefferson County WV.
I am dedicated Ron Paul supporter and need all the votes I can get! Tell your family and friends! May 8th!
https://www.facebook.com/Brenton4DelegateWV

kill the banks
04-30-2012, 06:14 PM
bump

Cosakaz
04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Araskaz and I are from the Clarksburg area. I'm unsure of what I can do to be most effective on election day, especially at the distance we are required to stand away from the polls. The only thing I can think of is to do many different sign waves and voter transportation programs.

eleganz
04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
chalk on the floor outside of each polling location. vote for delegate XXXXXXX

rich34
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Even though WV is a nanny state ( Bob Byrd) most people would never guess that the only votes that Ron recieved at the national convention came from two delegates out of WV. With that said we'll have an up hill battle just like most states in trying to get our delegates elected. From what I understand of the situation I do however really like what the campaign is trying to do here. For instance, for each county there is only a certain number of delegate slots allowed. The campaign made sure that the number of delegates running for each county represents the total number delegates allowed. This way there is no overlap. Unlike Romney who has tons of delegates running all over the place which should dilute their pool of delegates/voters giving us a good shot at snagging a majority of delegates. Even though we might get a whoopin in the head to head battle with Romney the actual delegate count should be much more competitive. Here's to hoping this.s

seawolf
04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Is the Official Campaign doing anything in West Virginia or is it all Grassroots????

Is there an Official Presence, Offices, State Director???

rich34
04-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Is the Official Campaign doing anything in West Virginia or is it all Grassroots????

From my understanding it's all grassroots. WV isn't a big prize as far as total delegate count is concerned, but it would be a relative cheap state to run ads in. With the other two ding dongs dropping out WV could look similar to how Virginia voted so long as we pick up Santorum/Gingrich support. I know in 08 Romney came in throwing his money around and essentially bought the WV GOP, but the social cons will decide the election here and from what I hear many of those do not like Romney.

MountaineerBill
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM

seawolf, I'm a 'Committed to Paul' delegate candidate (http://www.wv4ronpaul.com has a link to the WV Sect. of State's webpage showing all PAUL-committed delegate candidates).

As far as I know, our 'perfect strategy' of getting the exact number of delegate candidates for each Congressional District (3+3+3 committed to Paul) and statewide 'at-large' delegate candidates (19 committed to Paul) was part strategy and part luck(!) amongst the delegate candidates themselves. I don't think we have a WV-specific director or office....if so, I don't know him/her/where! Us WV Paul delegate candidates are constantly conversing as well so we'd know of one...we became organized very fast right before the deadline to register, it was awesome.

I'm really trying to spread my site right now as the cheapest/easiest way of spreading how to most effectively vote for Paul in WV. It should be very easy at the polls....all Paul-committed delegates should be lumped together. Also, Romney's delegate candidate numbers exceed the number of slots; greenpapers updated this recently in a very concise manner: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/WV-R#0508. This makes the Cong. Dist. delegates the best shots; Romney has 7-8 delegate candidates in each CD. In the statewide (at-large) delegate candidate race, he has 25 candidates for 19 slots....that's right, we have 19.

If we can get people out and informed, we have a decent shot of pulling this off (I hope :confused:). It's just really hard to tell here...most folks here are probably unaware of our system and confident in Romney's MSM-portrayed dominance. We've been and will keep getting the word out until next Tuesday.

Any last-minute advice from those who have been successful?

MountaineerBill
04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
From my understanding it's all grassroots. WV isn't a big prize as far as total delegate count is concerned, but it would be a relative cheap state to run ads in. With the other two ding dongs dropping out WV could look similar to how Virginia voted so long as we pick up Santorum/Gingrich support. I know in 08 Romney came in throwing his money around and essentially bought the WV GOP, but the social cons will decide the election here and from what I hear many of those do not like Romney.

Woops, I was typing when you wrote this.

Again, all grassroots as far as I know. And from what I can tell, not a ton of Romney love here...in my opinion, there was way more Santorum/Gingrich support like you said.

WV has a 'wild streak' every now and then...I hope we can pull off something here. Every voter should be able to vote for 22 Paul candidates at the polls with no dilution. So, each Paul voter, as long as they're voting right, will be more effective than a given Romney voter. Again, my feelings at this point are that no one (except us!) is very excited about this event...hell, or even know about it.

RDM
04-30-2012, 08:47 PM
MountaineerBill, I got your site up on DIGG: http://digg.com/news/politics/wv4ronpaul_be_a_part_of_the_r3volution

I hope you guys in WV can figure out a effective strategy even if it means door hangers with Ron Paul delegate names incognito (if necessary) just to promote to voters who to vote for. Maybe someone got better ideas. You know your state better than anyone.

rich34
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Probably won't happen, but if Ron stopped by in WV, preferably Charleston he would get tons of local media. Also, WV usually rewards those that pay attention to us. None of the other candidates have come here and if Ron could stop by I'd be willing to bet there would be increase of 5 to 10 points. I have nothing to back up or prove my statement just having lived here all my life I just think that's how the people would react.

MountaineerBill
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
MountaineerBill, I got your site up on DIGG: http://digg.com/news/politics/wv4ronpaul_be_a_part_of_the_r3volution

I hope you guys in WV can figure out a effective strategy even if it means door hangers with Ron Paul delegate names incognito (if necessary) just to promote to voters who to vote for. Maybe someone got better ideas. You know your state better than anyone.

Thanks for the Digg. We don't have to be incognito...unlike PA, ballots should list our preference beside our name. All voters have to do is vote for delegates with "Committed to Paul" by their name. So, you really only have to remember one important name :D .

MountaineerBill
04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Probably won't happen, but if Ron stopped by in WV, preferably Charleston he would get tons of local media. Also, WV usually rewards those that pay attention to us. None of the other candidates have come here and if Ron could stop by I'd be willing to bet there would be increase of 5 to 10 points. I have nothing to back up or prove my statement just having lived here all my life I just think that's how the people would react.

rich34, that would be great. I totally agree, a campaign stop or two to WV would have payed off big for them. But, I'm pretty sure they're booked up big time in TX and CA this week.

rich34
04-30-2012, 09:10 PM
rich34, that would be great. I totally agree, a campaign stop or two to WV would have payed off big for them. But, I'm pretty sure they're booked up big time in TX and CA this week.

That's true, but even sending Rand to his neighboring state could help big time. I just wouldn't take it for granted that WV will vote Romney when I can see the race here being a lot like Virginia.

MountaineerBill
05-01-2012, 06:38 AM
That's true, but even sending Rand to his neighboring state could help big time. I just wouldn't take it for granted that WV will vote Romney when I can see the race here being a lot like Virginia.

Very true. I'll contact the campaign some more and keep pestering them.

revned
05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I have yet to find any information about who is running for congress, senate, and all that. I don't even know where to begin searching... I've tried to google a few things, I guess I'm not going about it the right way.

I also have recently gotten a new voter registration card along with a letter that claims that my polling location has been changed. The new card looks like it has a forged signature on it, judging by the past two cards I have gotten.

By the way, the WV Ron Paul site's district/delegate map link seems to be broken.

MountaineerBill
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I have yet to find any information about who is running for congress, senate, and all that. I don't even know where to begin searching... I've tried to google a few things, I guess I'm not going about it the right way.

I also have recently gotten a new voter registration card along with a letter that claims that my polling location has been changed. The new card looks like it has a forged signature on it, judging by the past two cards I have gotten.

By the way, the WV Ron Paul site's district/delegate map link seems to be broken.

Sorry about the dead link revned. I will put up another link (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/WV) SOS's link died for some reason.

My polling place here just got moved too. It happens. You can always early vote in your county by the end of this week I think, check your County Clerk's office for details (a link to a CC listing should be on my website).

The full candidate listing that I point to on my website will list all individuals currently running for office in WV. Remember, WV just got done re-districting for STATE legislature districts. So recheck what House/Senate districts you're in at the state-level. I can't see your location tag while writing this message, I think I saw you were from Berkeley Cty...there's a few Facebook people I know from that area that might be able to point you towards liberty-minded state-level candidates. I'll post something after this post about that.

Remember though, it's crucial to vote for Paul-committed delegates, both from your US Congressional district (3 people) and at the state-level (19 people). They should be grouped together on the ballots and with have who they're committed to by their name. So, there should be no need to take a list of names with you for that.

MountaineerBill
05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
revned,

http://www.meetup.com/berkeleycowvforronpaul/events/62366182/

This Facebook group also has some eastern panhandle folks that are very active:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/272143296188249/

Hopefully these folks can point you in the right direction.

J_White
05-01-2012, 09:56 PM
bump, spread this around !

BestVirginia
05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Bump, and

Morgantown reporting in!

Ive been spreading the word among my friends, usually range between 21-30. Im hoping the anti-Romney sentiment is deep and we can pull off a bit of a surprise. Nobody seems very excited about the upcoming primary, I havent seen any signs for Romney at all.

RDM
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Bump, and

Morgantown reporting in!

Ive been spreading the word among my friends, usually range between 21-30. Im hoping the anti-Romney sentiment is deep and we can pull off a bit of a surprise. Nobody seems very excited about the upcoming primary, I havent seen any signs for Romney at all.

Hello Morgantown (my old stomping grounds in my younger days). +Rep for your first post and keep up the enthusiasm (we need all the support there we can get). Almost forgot. Welcome to the forums.

BestVirginia
05-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Hello Morgantown (my old stomping grounds in my younger days). +Rep for your first post and keep up the enthusiasm (we need all the support there we can get). Almost forgot. Welcome to the forums.

Thanks! I actually used to be registered here, but that account no longer works I guess. In 2008, I went to Charleston to see Ron and he signed my copy of the Constitution. In 2012, I hope that WV performs better for him this time around :)

MountaineerBill
05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Don't forget to spread my site around: http://www.wv4ronpaul.com!

It describes the how/who to vote for on Primary Day.

I've gotten a little bump in traffic the past few days; hopefully the word is getting out!!!

Aratus
05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
win, ron, win!!!

BestVirginia
05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Bump!