PDA

View Full Version : CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? PLEASE SUM UP TODAYS EVENTS SO FAR.. THANK YOU.:-)

rb3b3
04-28-2012, 05:37 PM
well after my state of ny let the doctor down and mitt won my cd(thus killing my chances to be a rp delegate in tampa), i gave up like a coward!! im sorry everyone... the truth is i have a heart that wont QUIT!!! It wont let me!!! so i saw some positive threads from today, and even a you tube video on the daily paul with some delegate counts on how close ron could be to mitt.. it was very encouraging!!!!! so i ask one of you to sum up ALL of todays events so far? can someone help me out here? i read today might be the single best day ever for us!!!

brooks009
04-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm confused also. What all happened today?

eleganz
04-28-2012, 06:03 PM
i just got official word that we won Louisiana.

lib3rtarian
04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
*waits patiently for sailingaway to kindly summarize everything* :o

jacmicwag
04-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Wonder how we did in Harris County (Houston) county convention? Had to work today so I couldn't make it.

InTradePro
04-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Great delegate results in two states.

Ron Paul won most delegates in Louisiana.

Also winning many districts in Massachusetts (Rmoney's home state), delgates will be bound to rmoney in first vote at Tampa, but would be unbound in later voting.

kathy88
04-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Great delegate results in two states.

Ron Paul won most delegates in Louisiana.

Also winning many districts in Massachusetts (Rmoney's home state), delgates will be bound to rmoney in first vote at Tampa, but would be unbound in later voting.

Can't they vote to unbind before that with 2/3?

Elwar
04-28-2012, 06:20 PM
This happened:

Romney has the primary nomination in his hands.

And then...

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1zblbV4zf1rsxhjao1_500.jpg

devil21
04-28-2012, 06:21 PM
well after my state of ny let the doctor down and mitt won my cd(thus killing my chances to be a rp delegate in tampa), i gave up like a coward!! im sorry everyone... the truth is i have a heart that wont QUIT!!! It wont let me!!! so i saw some positive threads from today, and even a you tube video on the daily paul with some delegate counts on how close ron could be to mitt.. it was very encouraging!!!!! so i ask one of you to sum up ALL of todays events so far? can someone help me out here? i read today might be the single best day ever for us!!!

Don't quit. Even if you're actually bound to Romney, we still need as many Paulites at the RNC as possible. Don't worry about the bound stuff. We're shooting for a brokered convention and then it doesnt necessarily matter who you were bound to (varies by state though). Don't quit! Keep going. eta: you probably still have a state convention coming up in a month or so. Go to it!

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
*waits patiently for sailingaway to kindly summarize everything* :o

lol!

I understand we won the majority of the total available delegates to state from Louisiana, so we will control who goes, but I am waiting for clarification about how that works with those bound to the primary winners and whether they can be unbound or if we just have to wait until Santorum releases his or until a later round, for that portion of delegates bound to the primary. I have seen various things said, but I'm not clear on it.

In Mass we seem to have at least 16 delegates to RNC or 18 if the provisional votes are counted fairly.

I don't have my arms around the total in VA and MIss.

So you see, you were waiting for the wrong person.... :p

chri5opher
04-28-2012, 06:25 PM
//

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Can't they vote to unbind before that with 2/3?

I don't think we have 2/3. Something else I'm not clear on, but I understand there are 41 MASS delegates, so if we have 18, even, that would be less than half... again, I don't have details to make me absolutely confident of my information there.

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Can someone PLEASE explain this to me. It's been bothering me and I can't find the answer.

How is there any possibility of a brokered convention if there are only two candidates left, Paul and Romney. One must win half the total delegates, 1144, in order to win the nomination. Since all the delegate votes have to go to one or the other candidate, how could it be possible that one of them doesn't reach the requisite amount -- and thus not go to another round of voting/brokered convention?

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me. thanks

Santorum and Gingrich have not yet ended, only suspended their campaigns. If it goes to an open convention with Romney having less than 1144, I'm not sure they'll release without consideration. They may hope they can win the votes themselves. I can absolutely see Gingrich thinking that.

Otherwise it is an OPEN convention with negotiations to get that majority you mention, as happened with Reagan and Ford. Ford technically won on the first ballot but it wasn't until major horsetrading occurred, and Reagan picked a moderate VP after having his arm twisted, which some say lost him the vote.

Krugerrand
04-28-2012, 06:29 PM
:toady:, I saved 15% on my car insurance. :p

InTradePro
04-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Can someone PLEASE explain this to me. It's been bothering me and I can't find the answer.

How is there any possibility of a brokered convention if there are only two candidates left, Paul and Romney. One must win half the total delegates, 1144, in order to win the nomination. Since all the delegate votes have to go to one or the other candidate, how could it be possible that one of them doesn't reach the requisite amount -- and thus not go to another round of voting/brokered convention?

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me. thanks

No, Santorum has only suspended and Gingrich will suspended also, so those delegates won't automatically go to Romney or Paul. Voting will likely continue until someone gets 1144 votes.

chri5opher
04-28-2012, 06:32 PM
//

chri5opher
04-28-2012, 06:33 PM
//

Krugerrand
04-28-2012, 06:36 PM
thanks! ok, my follow-up question is then:

roughly how many delegates do you guys think the grinch and santorum have collectively?

That's really hard to predict - and a prediction must be based on which round in voting. I'd be curious to see what people come up with ... but unless you see some solid rationale behind their numbers, I'd be suspicious.

kathy88
04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
LOUISIANA 2012

Numbers

46 Total Delegates

3 RNC, 18 CD and 25 AL

Selection Method

Primary/Convention

AL – Bound, if allocated

CD – Unbound

o 25 May be bound (depending on election results)

o 21 Unbound

Important Dates

Primary: 3/24/12

CD Caucus: TBA

State Convention: 6/2/12

Selection Details

AL – Delegate allocation: Proportional allocation with a 25% threshold

Delegate election: At State Convention

CD – Delegate allocation: n/a

Delegate election: CD Meetings at State Convention elects CD delegates that are “uncommitted”

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the "depends on election results" means...

Karsten
04-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Ron's shot up a bit on intrade. 2.3 to win the presidency, 2.0 to win the nomination (0.3 to account for a 3rd party run?). Last time I checked it was under 1 just a day or two ago.

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
LOUISIANA 2012

Numbers

46 Total Delegates

3 RNC, 18 CD and 25 AL

Selection Method

Primary/Convention

AL – Bound, if allocated

CD – Unbound

o 25 May be bound (depending on election results)

o 21 Unbound

Important Dates

Primary: 3/24/12

CD Caucus: TBA

State Convention: 6/2/12

Selection Details

AL – Delegate allocation: Proportional allocation with a 25% threshold

Delegate election: At State Convention

CD – Delegate allocation: n/a

Delegate election: CD Meetings at State Convention elects CD delegates that are “uncommitted”

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the "depends on election results" means...

I think Santorum had 10, Romney 5 (or so) and undecided 5.... something like that. But we will control who fills those slots and I read somewhere I THOUGHT that they could decide at state to not bind, but now I'm not sure which state that was for.

carterm
04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
yeah its possible paul could get 35-40 delegates if we own the state convention and vote to unbind them.

InTradePro
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
thanks! ok, my follow-up question is then:

roughly how many delegates do you guys think the grinch and santorum have collectively?

No one knows. Some people are attempting to guess - https://twitter.com/#!/evandeck/status/195690302101667840 and that adds up to about 450.

Estimates Current Delegate Count: ROMNEY:767 PAUL:276 SANTORUM:237 GINGRICH:226 http://bit.ly/gopunbound

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 06:52 PM
yeah its possible paul could get 35-40 delegates if we own the state convention and vote to unbind them.

I don't think that is how it works in Massachusetts. Those picked today in MA go straight to the RNC.

but I'm not sure which state you are referring to....