PDA

View Full Version : NY Times and Politicians eye Apple's profits and lack of taxes (in their opinion)

Cowlesy
04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Love or hate Apple, they spend millions of dollars a year like any other big company to be as efficient with taxes as possible. Not to mention, they pay billions of taxes.

I knew this would happen now that they're selling mass amounts of products. Now, the NY Times and Politicians are whining they are not getting what they perceive as their 'fair share' of Apple's profits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/business/apples-tax-strategy-aims-at-low-tax-states-and-nations.html

The article is 5 pages long, but a few chunks from the last page caught my eye. Steve Jobs might have been an ass, but I consider him to be correct.

Fallout in California

In one of his last public appearances before his death, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, addressed Cupertino’s City Council last June, seeking approval to build a new headquarters.

Most of the Council was effusive in its praise of the proposal. But one councilwoman, Kris Wang, had questions.

How will residents benefit? she asked. Perhaps Apple could provide free wireless Internet to Cupertino, she suggested, something Google had done in neighboring Mountain View.

“See, I’m a simpleton; I’ve always had this view that we pay taxes, and the city should do those things,” Mr. Jobs replied, according to a video of the meeting. “That’s why we pay taxes. Now, if we can get out of paying taxes, I’ll be glad to put up Wi-Fi.”

He suggested that, if the City Council were unhappy, perhaps Apple could move. The company is Cupertino’s largest taxpayer, with more than $8 million in property taxes assessed by local officials last year.

Ms. Wang dropped her suggestion.

Cupertino, Ms. Wang said in an interview, has real financial problems. “We’re proud to have Apple here,” said Ms. Wang, who has since left the Council. “But how do you get them to feel more connected?”

Oh, and then there is this.

Moreover, Apple has given nearby Stanford University more than $50 million in the last two years. The company has also donated $50 million to an African aid organization. In its statement, Apple said: “We have contributed to many charitable causes but have never sought publicity for doing so. Our focus has been on doing the right thing, not getting credit for it. In 2011, we dramatically expanded the number of deserving organizations we support by initiating a matching gift program for our employees.”

See that won't fly with politicians. If you aren't banging pots and pans for attention because you give money away, something must be wrong with you.

aGameOfThrones
04-28-2012, 07:00 PM
" If they just pay me what they're spending to make me stop robbing them, I'd stop robbing them."-Government

angelatc
04-28-2012, 07:29 PM
I always bristle at the term "lost revenue" when it's being used by a government to describe taxes they aren't entitled to collect. Yet. Obviously this is why we need global government. It will even the playing field.

ryanmkeisling
04-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Apple really could have the government at its feet eventually. Their products are quickly becoming fully integrated: the computer, the tablet, the phone and very soon the TV will all be interacting, utilizing and sharing the same content to which Apple will have complete control overt delivery.

With Siri integrated into all these products peoples relationship with technology becomes more integral, having various access points for almost endless centralized information and content. They don't license out their software for a reason; complete control.

They are literally selling millions of these things and the TV is right around the corner. They aren't just little stupid gizmos either, they take computing and entertainment to a whole new level, having also periodicals, books, podcasts, music, etc. The ipads are being used in hospitals, restaurants, retail stores, and they will soon replace the textbook and notepad in educational institutions. W e are now or soon to be living in the science fiction we all grew up with and apple is kinda at the helm.

Governments need to get their shit together, Apple is worth more than the US government and is the richest company in the world I believe. Seems to me they are playing the game better than the ones who created it...

Cowlesy
04-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Apple really could have the government at its feet eventually. Their products are quickly becoming fully integrated: the computer, the tablet, the phone and very soon the TV will all be interacting, utilizing and sharing the same content to which Apple will have complete control overt delivery.

With Siri integrated into all these products peoples relationship with technology becomes more integral, having various access points for almost endless centralized information and content. They don't license out their software for a reason; complete control.

They are literally selling millions of these things and the TV is right around the corner. They aren't just little stupid gizmos either, they take computing and entertainment to a whole new level, having also periodicals, books, podcasts, music, etc. The ipads are being used in hospitals, restaurants, retail stores, and they will soon replace the textbook and notepad in educational institutions. W e are now or soon to be living in the science fiction we all grew up with and apple is kinda at the helm.

Governments need to get their shit together, Apple is worth more than the US government and is the richest company in the world I believe. Seems to me they are playing the game better than the ones who created it...

Regarding the TV, I saw a presentation this week by a company that is one of the world's leaders in voice-activated tech (their products are in Siri, Ford/GM cars etc), it's going to be SCARY what you will be able to do via your TV very very soon, all integrated with your other devices if you wish.

Here is a video that scratches the surface of what was seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCjuT960tJ8&list=UUtmZ1Vk2yFJkOe1DYQwLgag&feature=plcp

ryanmkeisling
04-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Regarding the TV, I saw a presentation this week by a company that is one of the world's leaders in voice-activated tech (their products are in Siri, Ford/GM cars etc), it's going to be SCARY what you will be able to do via your TV very very soon, all integrated with your other devices if you wish.

Here is a video that scratches the surface of what was seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCjuT960tJ8&list=UUtmZ1Vk2yFJkOe1DYQwLgag&feature=plcp

Amazing, I hadn't seen dragon tv before thanks for posting that. We are living in interesting times.

Yieu
04-29-2012, 08:22 AM

Well, every type of product that Apple sells is also available from other companies that do not exercise absolute control over the devices, even after you own it, like Apple does.

There are computers, tablets (iPad was not the first), phones (iPhone was not the first), Mp3 players (iPod was not the first), and TVs from other companies.

Having Apple products is voluntary, so if someone wants to submit to the control of Apple, they can.

But if you don't want to, then you can buy the same product from another company and suddenly no company is controlling you or your devices.