PDA

View Full Version : Framing "Time to cut up the Government's credit cards"

kevinblack
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Framing 101, hopefully people with more experience than me on this will chime in.

It is time, yes I think that now that more and more people have now heard about Ron Paul It is time to start “framing” the issues that we care about.

Framing an issue is the art of elbowing your way ahead before the race even starts. This is something that is prevalent in today’s politics. Excelent examples of issue framing include “Pro life” to mean “anti abortion”. You don’t want to be seen as being “anti” anything, “anti” is bad. And who can argue against “life”. By “framing” the issue with this wording there is a tremendous advantage.

Most framing is developed “think tank” style and then propagated to as much media outlets as possible. There are few people who will disagree that we have the distribution. It is time to get our “think tank” hat on and start framing Ron Paul issues. Our goal should be to hammer these terms into the media until an MSM uses it!

The first term I would like to frame is Ron Pauls stance on small government. Every republican is “for small government” so it is necessary to frame this issue to differentiate Ron Paul from the “spend and spend” politicians (see the frame there?). My proposal would be something along the lines of the title of this post, it is not quite right yet and needs some massaging, ideas please!

“Time to cut up the Government's credit cards”
“Time to cut up the Feds credit cards”

The idea behind this would be that if Ron Paul where to be elected president he would veto every bill that has non constitutionally authorized spending on it. The way to use it would be something along the lines of “If Ron Paul where to be elected president he may not have the power to cut existing programs, but he “would cut up the government’s credit cards” to make sure we don’t go deeper in debt.

Another issue we could frame around this would be that “This does not mean a complete end to Government spending, Congress can always “go to the ATM”. Here “going to the ATM” would be the frame for getting a two third majority which is what is required to overthrow a veto.

Ideas on how to improve on this before sending it out? If you have any other Framing concepts make another title with Framing on the title. Remember, frames need to be positive, they need to make you sound sensible and anybody who opposes them wrong.

hard@work
11-15-2007, 12:58 PM
"Time to cut up the Government's credit cards." is an incredibly powerful statement. Very nice. As for getting this out, I'd say attention to this thread would help.

Chester Copperpot
11-15-2007, 01:00 PM
How about the people are coming take re-posess the Liberty Bell

Fyretrohl
11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
I just wish we could get Dave Ramsey to sign up for the Fed Governments Plastectomy.

kevinblack
11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
I have no fear of the power of redistributing a message once it gets polished. The only question for me is do we have better suggestions along these lines.

If not and if we agree with:
"Time to cut up the Government's credit cards"

I will start spreading it.

micahnelson
11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
i love it

literatim
11-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I am for "Time to cut up the Government's credit cards"

ladyliberty
11-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Another issue we could frame around this would be that “This does not mean a complete end to Government spending, Congress can always “go to the ATM”. Here “going to the ATM” would be the frame for getting a two third majority which is what is required to overthrow a veto.

They would be going to the China ATM, would they not?

America's ATM is out of order!

kevinblack
11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
chinese ATM! I love it

micahnelson
11-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I don't think people understand the concept that we are borrowing from the Chinese.

micahnelson
11-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Maybe we should have a thread and hammer down some good soundbytes for the major issues. I label is a necessary evil. The main assault against our views is that we are "extreme". If we can have a reasonable answer in 5 -10 seconds on the main issues, we can change that perception.