PDA

View Full Version : YAL liberty candidate campaign support opening - APPLY NOW!

Matt Collins
04-27-2012, 05:44 PM
From an e-mail this week:

With only a handful presidential primaries left, now is the time to expand our efforts to other important upcoming elections.

Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) -- the continuation of 2008's Students for Ron Paul -- has identified several key congressional and state districts where our issues can make a big impact.

As a result, YAL is hiring 20 full-time, well-trained activists to operate a high-tech campaign phone bank to identify, persuade, and turn out voters to the polls. These are paid positions -- $200/week -- with lodging and meals provided.

If you are a true believer in Ron Paul's message and will work day-in and night-out like me to continue this rEVOLution, then I want you to know about this immediate job opening.

Since this is a full-time, paid position in a campaign environment, you will be expected to arrive on-time and work long hours -- 8 to 12 hours per day for 7 days a week. The YAL campaign office is located in Springfield, VA.

To learn more about this position and apply, please click here. (http://yaliberty.us1.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=f1340031d3e25504f5712bcb1&id=897e064e71&e=9edca4a7b8)

The program starts in less than two weeks on Sunday, May 6th. And, right now, you can apply for one to five full weeks of work.

This is critical campaign work, and only the most committed and determined activists can handle it. And I assure you, YAL only wants the best. So, if you can commit your time, talent, and energy to spreading the rEVOLution, then please apply for a position.

These job openings will fill up quick, so it's important to apply ASAP: www.yaliberty.org/application (http://yaliberty.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f1340031d3e25504f5712bcb1&id=e8f6c9597d&e=9edca4a7b8)

For liberty,

Edward King

angelatc
04-27-2012, 05:55 PM
$200 a week, for 13 hour days. Is that even legal?

sailingaway
04-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I think it means not enough people are doing phone from home. I haven't done enough and I plan to pick it up.

http://phone.ronpaul2012.com

MRoCkEd
04-27-2012, 06:11 PM
lol... They can get away with it if they're treated as contractors. I think this would be good for a high schooler looking to be trained in phone-banking.

RickyJ
04-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Lodging and meals are provided. That helps a lot for those that want to help out and have nothing else to do for a few weeks. Obviously no one would do this for the money, just the satisfaction of helping Ron Paul get his message out to as many as possible.

WilliamC
04-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Can I get paid in cash?

Or better yet silver?

militant
04-27-2012, 06:32 PM
If someone will give me a corner to crash in, I'm in. I have experience running call centers, both as a caller and as a manager, as well as the technical backend stuff (VoIP switches, etc)

MRoCkEd
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
If someone will give me a corner to crash in, I'm in. I have experience running call centers, both as a caller and as a manager, as well as the technical backend stuff (VoIP switches, etc)
You get lodging and meals. Sign up!

Eric39
04-27-2012, 06:41 PM
What exactly do they mean by highly trained?

I dont have experience in this type of thing but I sown to help out in any way. Ill quit my shitty job if need be

John F Kennedy III
04-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Bump

Matt Collins
04-27-2012, 06:53 PM
I think this would be good for a high schooler looking to be trained in phone-banking.This is a good thing for ANYONE who wants to become more involved in the liberty movement! When most campaigns need to hire low-level staffers they often times start in their volunteer base. Getting to know people, and getting known by people, means that you are more than likely to be called upon when there is a position open in the future. In fact, those that hang around HQ and get plugged-in can become invaluable to the movement; having institutional knowledge and knowing the players involved is half the battle.

brandon
04-27-2012, 07:00 PM

And 7 days a week? This is probably a great resume builder for a student pursuing something related....but damn. That's harsh. They should probably halve the number of openings and triple the pay. Or at least not expect these people to work more than 50 hours a week.

Rishinfreakapotamus
04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Your labour per hour is not worth the current minimum wage ;)

kathy88
04-27-2012, 07:04 PM
And 7 days a week? This is probably a great resume builder for a student pursuing something related....but damn. That's harsh. They should probably halve the number of openings and double the pay. Or at least not expect these people to work more than 50 hours a week.

If I didn't have two small children I'd go in a minute, and they could keep the damn $200. I'd do it for food and lodging. It's "for the cause." (Gone With the Wind).

Brian4Liberty
04-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Must just be an expense payment. Probably not a "hourly" job.

What exactly do they mean by highly trained?

Can you talk on a phone? ;)

angelatc
04-27-2012, 07:11 PM
lol... They can get away with it if they're treated as contractors. I think this would be good for a high schooler looking to be trained in phone-banking.

Contractors get to pick and choose their hours. That's one of the distinctions the IRS makes when nailing people who are trying to circumvent The System.

Certain younger workers are eligible to get $4.25 an hour, but that doesn't exempt the employer from overtime.

(Don't misunderstand me. I don't believe there should be a minimum wage, but I think it's pretty bone-headed for a guy running for the office that is legally required to enforce the law to ignore it before he can get it repealed.)

Travlyr
04-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Volunteers do not have to be paid but they can be paid. Call them volunteers or interns.

angelatc
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Volunteers do not have to be paid but they can be paid. Call them volunteers or interns.

I'm not sure you can call somebody getting paid a volunteer. And internships are covered in the FSLA - most internships require at least minimum wage.

I would think the "you're a volunteer getting a meal stipend" is probably the scenario that is the closest, but they're already paying for food and lodging, so not sure what the stipend is for.

MelissaWV
04-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Screw it.

Matt Collins
04-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Yall are giving me a rash...

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/headbashwall.gif

MelissaWV
04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Screw it.

parocks
04-27-2012, 08:13 PM
This must be a really good idea, a ground-breaking idea.

Because it's only when something is a really really good idea that people start to worry about the legality of it.

MelissaWV
04-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Screw it.

sailingaway
04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I suspect they were hoping for volunteers and are now hoping for volunteers who won't have to pay living expenses. I bet volunteers don't have to be paid at all, so they didn't have to look into it over Christmas etc. $200 a month is $50 a week for 'odds and ends' could be one way to look at it, and they could still be volunteers, maybe....

angelatc
04-27-2012, 08:42 PM
Still, I worry much more about the legal aspects of this. I hope someone has that all ironed out.

I would imagine that they do. I'm just curious as to how, that's all this is.

angelatc
04-27-2012, 08:45 PM
This must be a really good idea, a ground-breaking idea.

Because it's only when something is a really really good idea that people start to worry about the legality of it.

Actually, in my life experience, it's been the "really really good ideas" that can ultimately and horrifically end up being "really really bad ideas" precisely because of the legalities.

brandon
04-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Isn't there a way they can hook up with some universities that run coop programs and have students get college credit for their work, in addition to the pay and benefits? That seems like it would be the best bet.

angelatc
04-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Really? So Matt Collins, aka Zanzibar, aka some other name would have zero posts on this forum between Thanksgiving and March 15th of this past year? Or do you consider posting on a forum to be "work" and be "grueling brutality mentally, physically and emotionally?"

I seem to recall that he made substantially more than $200 a week, too. And as for the "that's what it takes to win" statement...well, I won't go there.

Danke
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFC3LKMIQo

Lindsey
04-27-2012, 08:54 PM
When I was an AmeriCorps volunteer, we got paid 110% of poverty level. If I am remembering correctly that worked out to $963/month, (in 2003-2005 dollars,)and I worked 40-60 hrs/week. No room and board, but I was covered by a nice health insurance plan. It wasn't as low of an hourly rate as this, but they were able to pay us less than minimum wage, because we were volunteers and our payment was considered a stipend.

damiengwa
04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Wow, they are taking my suggestion. And for the record the mods moved my criticisms to "the vent." Com'on step up and eat some crow RPF Mod.

seawolf
04-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Starting for two weeks on Sunday May 6th. WOW!! this YAL Program is obviously not targeting the Open Primaries on May 8th which include Indiana, West Virginia and North Carolina. I sure hope others, someone, in the Campaign are targeting these States, especially because they are OPEN.

And one wonders why the Campaign did not Sponsor an End of April PUSH Money Bomb like many have suggesteId here and over at the Daily Paul. I know many I have corresponded with are scratching their heads.....

angelatc
04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
When I was an AmeriCorps volunteer, we got paid 110% of poverty level. If I am remembering correctly that worked out to $963/month, (in 2003-2005 dollars,)and I worked 40-60 hrs/week. No room and board, but I was covered by a nice health insurance plan. It wasn't as low of an hourly rate as this, but they were able to pay us less than minimum wage, because we were volunteers and our payment was considered a stipend.

Plus rep. I was forgetting the non-profit aspect of it all. It makes sense, since the value of the lodging is probably taxable, that the stipend be attached to bump the workers up to essentially a break-even point.

Interesting - the YAL is the official campaign?

sailingaway
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow, they are taking my suggestion. And for the record the mods moved my criticisms to "the vent." Com'on step up and eat some crow RPF Mod.

If it was me, it was probably a vent. Suggestions go in the campaign suggestion box, but they won't be moved to the vent unless they are a rant. There might be suggestions well hidden in the rant, of course....

KMX
04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
wow, less then $4 an hour....

KMX
04-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Starting for two weeks on Sunday May 6th. WOW!! this YAL Program is obviously not targeting the Open Primaries on May 8th which include Indiana, West Virginia and North Carolina. I sure hope others, someone, in the Campaign are targeting these States, especially because they are OPEN.

And one wonders why the Campaign did not Sponsor an End of April PUSH Money Bomb like many have suggesteId here and over at the Daily Paul. I know many I have corresponded with are scratching their heads.....

I started a Money bomb myself. Please help me promote it. May 5th!

Matt Collins
04-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Or do you consider posting on a forum to be "work" and be "grueling brutality mentally, physically and emotionally?"With people like you and angelatc and a few others, ​YES!

Kluge
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
With people like you and angelatc and a few others, ​YES!

Poor booboo, getting called out is emotionally draining.

At least you admit that you were lying, once again.

bluesc
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I hope the complaining stops. If I wasn't over here in the UK, I would totally apply for this.

MelissaWV
04-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Screw it.

Brian4Liberty
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey Matt, are these girls working the phones too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yRZrBQHYWzI

seawolf
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
KMX do you have any further info on your May 5th Money Bomb?

bluesc
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
It is not complaining. It is asking how this can be, with the mire of laws and regulations in place governing such activities. Someone actually provided a good example of how it could work.

Question... answer.

That's not a bad thing.

Oh, Melissa. Always assuming I'm addressing you.

QuickZ06
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Only question I have is, how do we get there? If I drive is there a safe spot for my car, as it is in the DC area and my car is kinda a big target for theft.

RiversMcGee
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm seriously considering doing this. I have a relative that lives in DC (I'm from IA). The only problem is this: Rent here costs 420 dollars a month, and I would need to fly out there. - That alone would take up the paycheck. But this is something that I'm really passionate about, but I don't wanna screw myself over financially. Do you guys really think this would be a good resume builder?

sailingaway
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't know about resume builder per se, it is more about the passion. Unless you plan to go into politics.

gerryb
04-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Do you guys really think this would be a good resume builder?

Do you have any work experience on your resume? If not, yes this will be good on your resume. The persuasion skills you will develop will be valuable in any customer oriented positions.. sales, public relations, etc.

Do you plan to work in electoral or issue based politics in the future? If yes, this will be EXCELLENT on your resume. The network you create will open many doors.

parocks
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Actually, in my life experience, it's been the "really really good ideas" that can ultimately and horrifically end up being "really really bad ideas" precisely because of the legalities.

I wasn't talking about my own life experiences. I was talking about here on rpf.

No one ever complains about the "let's fight with cops" march, or whatever the grassroots comes up with, the "get yourself court-martialed" march or the putting up of video of calling the cops because someone was shoved.

This is the campaign here. Don't worry about the legalities of it. But the point is, people, here, only worry about things being legal when they're effective things. They just aren't complaing about the ineffective things, the potentially embarassing to Ron Paul things, being also illegal.

angelatc
04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
I wasn't talking about my own life experiences. I was talking about here on rpf.

No one ever complains about the "let's fight with cops" march, or whatever the grassroots comes up with, the "get yourself court-martialed" march or the putting up of video of calling the cops because someone was shoved.

This is the campaign here. Don't worry about the legalities of it. But the point is, people, here, only worry about things being legal when they're effective things. They just aren't complaing about the ineffective things, the potentially embarassing to Ron Paul things, being also illegal.

I'll worry and wonder about any damned thing I want to. If you can't answer my questions, then STFU.

What you're not factoring in is that some of us work on small, ill funded campaigns and we like to learn a few tricks from the bigger boys along the way.

Nirvikalpa
04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I worked mostly 16-18 hour days without a day off between Thanksgiving and March 15th. I didn't go into the office on Christmas Day, but I was still working from home even then. The others in Minnesota did the same. Prior to that, between June and Thanksgiving while in DC I was taking Sundays lightly, but still working from home. I was in the office essentially every Saturday. One volunteer I know has developed nerve pain in their hand from phone banking so much. It's grueling brutality mentally, physically, and emotionally.

But that's what it takes to win and there is nothing else I'd rather be doing. Everyone who applies for this opportunity should think of it as going to an all-consuming "summer camp" where everything you do is live, eat, breath, and sleep liberty 24/7. ;) :D :cool:

And you still had time to go out, party, drink, and post all those images to facebook, and also make a joke about Paul dropping out of the race on April 1st? Now I know why the campaign hired you, you're just that damn amazing.

By the way, why should we do this? It's inevitable Romney is the nominee now, because Santorum dropped out (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?371378-ATTN-CAMPAIGN-Please-act-ASAP-to-draw-a-sharp-contrast-between-Mitt-and-Ron&p=4349165&viewfull=1#post4349165), right? Or is it you really don't live, eat, breathe and sleep liberty 24/7? One or the other, can't be both.

Seriously how dare you come to this forum and ask students to work for ~$3/hr, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students who would graciously do so, because they give a hoot about this movement and would never make a statement like the one linked above. It's a damn shame they are not being paid YOUR SALARY MATT COLLINS.

Edit: And to the students applying for this position... thank you. You replenish my hope in this movement that some campaign staffers manage to take away sometimes. Kick butt with the calls.

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Let's face it, the message is poorly worded. Apparently they want more volunteers that are willing to work hard. We can take that at face value, and anyone who wants to go there and volunteer should try it out.

Just because people have issues with the person who posted this call for people, it should not reflect upon the urgency of the campaign's needs right now. Priorities and timing. There will be plenty of time to review the details of the campaign and messengers later on.

IMHO, of course. ;)

Kluge
04-28-2012, 12:13 AM
And you still had time to go out, party, drink, and post all those images to facebook, and also make a joke about Paul dropping out of the race on April 1st? Now I know why the campaign hired you, you're just that damn amazing.

By the way, why should we do this? It's inevitable Romney is the nominee now, because Santorum dropped out (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?371378-ATTN-CAMPAIGN-Please-act-ASAP-to-draw-a-sharp-contrast-between-Mitt-and-Ron&p=4349165&viewfull=1#post4349165), right? Or is it you really don't live, eat, breathe and sleep liberty 24/7? One or the other, can't be both.

Seriously how dare you come to this forum and ask students to work for ~$3/hr, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students who would graciously do so, because they give a hoot about this movement and would never make a statement like the one linked above. It's a damn shame they are not being paid YOUR SALARY MATT COLLINS.

Edit: And to the students applying for this position... thank you. You replenish my hope in this movement that some campaign staffers manage to take away sometimes. Kick butt with the calls.

Holy well-said Nikki. You're restoring my faith, one word at a time.

Ray
04-28-2012, 12:22 AM

Most college students have finals in the next few weeks so won't be able to go until the second week of May (at least)

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2012, 12:23 AM
And you still had time to go out, party, drink, and post all those images to facebook,

Are you saying that these are secret fringe benefits to the "job opening"? ;)

Edit: let's leave it at that.

IterTemporis
04-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Are you saying that these are secret fringe benefits to the "job opening"? ;)

On a more serious note, I appears that someone named Edward King wrote the email. Who is he? Anyone else is just the messenger.

He is the guy who made the selections for Christmas in Iowa and New Years in New Hampshire, he is with the Youth for Paul.

PauliticsPolitics
04-28-2012, 12:27 AM
He is the guy who made the selections for Christmas in Iowa and New Years in New Hampshire, he is with the Youth for Paul.
In fact, Edward King appears to be the "National Youth Director" for Ron Paul.
(Previously national field director at Young Americans for Liberty)

libertybrewcity
04-28-2012, 12:43 AM
If I didn't have school or other responsibilities I would do it for no pay at all!

gerryb
04-28-2012, 12:55 AM
In fact, Edward King appears to be the "National Youth Director" for Ron Paul.
(Previously national field director at Young Americans for Liberty)

These positions are with YAL -- not the campaign.

Also -- it sounds like thee focus will be on Senate, Congressional, or local races that are winnable -- not on Ron Paul.

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
At least you admit that you were lying, once again.Uhh, I haven't lied about anything.

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
And you still had time to go out, party, drink, and post all those images to facebook, You've obviously never worked on a campaign before... you should apply

By the way, why should we do this? It's inevitable Romney is the nominee now, because Santorum dropped out (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?371378-ATTN-CAMPAIGN-Please-act-ASAP-to-draw-a-sharp-contrast-between-Mitt-and-Ron&p=4349165&viewfull=1#post4349165), right? You never know what can happen.

Seriously how dare you come to this forum and ask students to work for ~$3/hr, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Students who would graciously do so, because they give a hoot about this movement and would never make a statement like the one linked above. It's a damn shame they are not being paid YOUR SALARY MATT COLLINS.I have no idea what you're talking about, and you're not making any sense.

RickyJ
04-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Matt, don't let the naysayers get you down. I imagine the campaign will have no trouble getting enough qualified people willing to do these jobs even if they were paid nothing.

MelissaWV
04-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Screw it.

RickyJ
04-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I hope the complaining stops. If I wasn't over here in the UK, I would totally apply for this.

I think they will take you from the UK too. Just get over here and they will give you lodging and food. Can't afford the plane ticket? I think RPF members can get you a cheap flight and even chip in to get you over here and back home.

tribute_13
04-28-2012, 10:29 AM
I'll do it. I'm hurting for money and I'm done with school for the meantime. If they're providing food and lodging, I'm not complaining about $200/week. Who want's to be my references?

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Where does it say 13 hours a day? As I read it, it says 8-12. Where are you getting this ridiculous info?

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 10:43 AM

Lodging and meals are provided, so I think you're their man, especially with your experience.

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Really? So Matt Collins, aka Zanzibar, aka some other name would have zero posts on this forum between Thanksgiving and March 15th of this past year? Or do you consider posting on a forum to be "work" and be "grueling brutality mentally, physically and emotionally?"

Or, I guess, instead of getting the 6-8 hours of sleep between working, he was really only getting 5.5-7.5 hours leaving 30 minutes to post on a forum?

Is that not a possibility in your mind?

MelissaWV
04-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Screw it.

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 10:54 AM
I suspect they were hoping for volunteers and are now hoping for volunteers who won't have to pay living expenses. I bet volunteers don't have to be paid at all, so they didn't have to look into it over Christmas etc. $200 a month is $50 a week for 'odds and ends' could be one way to look at it, and they could still be volunteers, maybe....

But it's $200 per week, not per month...

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 11:05 AM
With people like you and angelatc and a few others, ​YES!

Not to be a stickler, but this statement is inherently absurd.

Chrysamere
04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
So matt collins is a lying useless leecher hypocrite who thinks too highly of himself and has been getting paid to do nothing for months, everyone knows this already, doesn't need to be brought up everytime he posts a thread.

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 11:14 AM
I think they will take you from the UK too. Just get over here and they will give you lodging and food. Can't afford the plane ticket? I think RPF members can get you a cheap flight and even chip in to get you over here and back home.

But is it really worth it to donate my hard-earned money to get a guy from the UK when we have plenty of people here at home willing to do it?

Just sayin'

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 11:15 AM
If you are working 12 hours a day, and you are provided a lunch, that would make it a 13-hour day. Most places do not count your lunch hour as part of your paid work time anymore.

Regardless, that would make it 9-13 hours, not just 13.

bluesc
04-28-2012, 11:18 AM

I would only do that if there were a huge shortage of people applying, which there certainly won't be. The plane tickets alone would cost more than my 5 weeks' pay and the chipin alone would fund 2-3 US-based people to fly in to VA to help out.

Maybe in 2016 :p.

MelissaWV
04-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Screw it.

wealeat
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Needless to say, but all of you complaining on this thread wouldn't be good for the job anyway. Plus, there will be plenty of enthusiastic people that will apply, no need for you guys that are negative.

It is hilarious that most talk about fighting for the cause of liberty, but most would rather do it on their own time and only do the fun stuff (sign waves, marches). Then there is an actual opportunity to make a real difference by doing effective campaign type work, get paid, get fed, and get lodging (apparently you guys all get free food and Virginia priced lodging included in your current salary).

Plus why are are y'all worried about labor law, aren't you supposed to believe in individual liberty?

MelissaWV
04-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Screw it.

RiversMcGee
04-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Do you have any work experience on your resume?

Well..ya. But it's always been a dream to work in Washington :P

thoughtomator
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Given how many people out there are unemployed with nothing at all useful occupying their time, this can be a big improvement in their situation - they'll be doing honest work, doing something moral and useful, and helping their country at the same time. $200/week is a lot of money to someone making $0. It's also a lot of money for something like 90% of the world's population, to apply some perspective. It's also more than interns make, and there have to be a million or more people out there working internships, even experienced people. It's easy to mock low income when you're secure in your position at a higher income; but it's foolish to do so as in this economy, anybody can be in that position in a blink of an eye. If you want to measure the level of desperation out there in the economy, head on over to Craigslist and peruse the "resumes/jobs wanted" section. For many, an offer like this is a pretty good deal.

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Her question pertained to the 13-hour day, which is where laws get sticky. Nine-hour days are not usually a problem (they are the norm). It was a sound way to ask the question, and it was already answered, so I'm not sure what you gain by all the rehashing.

Fair enough, no more needs to be said.

PaulConventionWV
04-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Needless to say, but all of you complaining on this thread wouldn't be good for the job anyway. Plus, there will be plenty of enthusiastic people that will apply, no need for you guys that are negative.

It is hilarious that most talk about fighting for the cause of liberty, but most would rather do it on their own time and only do the fun stuff (sign waves, marches). Then there is an actual opportunity to make a real difference by doing effective campaign type work, get paid, get fed, and get lodging (apparently you guys all get free food and Virginia priced lodging included in your current salary).

Plus why are are y'all worried about labor law, aren't you supposed to believe in individual liberty?

Although I'm sure there are no legal issues here, believing in idividual liberty doesn't exempt you from the law or punishment for not following it, so I don't know why you would even bring that up. There's a perfectly valid reason to worry about the law, as pretty much any hoodlum knows.

wealeat
04-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Because there is no violation of law here. And to think that YAL wouldn't investigate the legality is just silly.

This is no different than an internship, and many in DC pay much less and provide much less. This is a very common way of doing things and it just seems that people want to find a reason not to something to advance liberty rather than just go do it.

I've said my part, YAL won't need the approval of RPF to have this be very successful.

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Not to be a stickler, but this statement is inherently absurd.Most of the posts in this thread are absurd :p:p

Is that not a possibility in your mind?Critical thinking seems to be lost around here sometimes. :(

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 02:08 PM
I think they will take you from the UK too. Just get over here and they will give you lodging and food. Can't afford the plane ticket? I think RPF members can get you a cheap flight and even chip in to get you over here and back home.Don't goto VA unless you apply through the process and get approved, or just want to volunteer.

ross11988
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
The good old 13 hour days during Christmas with Ron Paul in Iowa. I miss those, I would jump on this in a heart beat, but I used all by vacation time going to Iowa

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Most of the posts in this thread are absurd :p:p

Critical thinking seems to be lost around here sometimes. :(

You know, we as mods can't police politeness from the grass roots if you don't return it. It would be like holding their arms while you pitched snow balls and offends my sense of fairness.

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
You know, we as mods can't police politeness from the grass roots if you don't return it. It would be like holding their arms while you pitched snow balls and offends my sense of fairness.I speak in generalities, I don't attack or insult anyone.

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 03:02 PM
when you quote and respond to a particular individual 'speaking in generalities' doesn't blur the direction. And generally insulting the entire forum isn't really better.

QuickZ06
04-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Can someone please answer my question about parking if I drive up there?

MelissaWV
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Screw it.

QuickZ06
04-28-2012, 03:29 PM
It would depend upon the hotel they are putting you up at. Many hotels in that area would not charge you for parking, but if the location of the actual call center is not nearby, it might be a consideration. Perhaps put it as a concern on your application?

Noted and will do. I just put call me about parking situation. But I just read that this is not for the Ron Paul campaign. But for local political positions?

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Noted and will do. I just put call me about parking situation. But I just read that this is not for the Ron Paul campaign. But for local political positions?

I just re read the OP and will change it. So it is not in support of THE campaign, but somebody or other's campaign.

Thank you for the catch. I also need Matt to explain to me how this ties to the campaign this subforum supports, or I will move it. That could be by pm.

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I would also suggest Matt list the specific candidates this will be supporting, since this is really asking a labor of love here.

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Can someone please answer my question about parking if I drive up there?If you are wanting to just volunteer, then simply show up, there is plenty of parking at the offices (although I'm unsure which office they will be using).

If you are looking for the paid position, don't show up unless you apply and are approved.

All questions about this need to be directed to YAL and/or Ed King.

Matt Collins
04-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Change the thread title back, and please don't change my thread titles any more, it's dishonest to do so.

The thread title I used was because it was the exact subject line used in the original e-mail YAL initiated.

MelissaWV
04-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Screw it.

wealeat
04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
This thread has become worthless. There will be plenty of applicants. No need to deal with the absurdities of this thread.

sailingaway
04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Change the thread title back, and please don't change my thread titles any more, it's dishonest to do so.

The thread title I used was because it was the exact subject line used in the original e-mail YAL initiated.

then it doesn't go in this forum but in 'liberty candidates'. When it says 'campaign' in this forum people assume it is RON'S campaign.

Nirvikalpa
04-28-2012, 08:32 PM

:rolleyes:

seawolf
04-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Just so Everyone knows, this thread has nothing to do with electing Ron Paul for President......

PaulConventionWV
04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
You know, we as mods can't police politeness from the grass roots if you don't return it. It would be like holding their arms while you pitched snow balls and offends my sense of fairness.

Not sure why I would want you to "police politeness." I'm also not sure how that post was particularly impolite. There was nothing personal in them.

PaulConventionWV
04-29-2012, 08:18 AM
when you quote and respond to a particular individual 'speaking in generalities' doesn't blur the direction. And generally insulting the entire forum isn't really better.

I was not offended by his comments at all. They were not directed at me. They were spoken to me, but not directed at me.

kathy88
04-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Very misleading.

dntrpltt
04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
I applied! :D

Look, its $200 a week AFTER room and board. If you figure in the cost of the room and the food, along with the $200, I'm sure it will come out to be at least minimum wage or even above that...but whatever the amount, I'm not concerned about money. I would do it just for the room and board--Anything to advance the spread of the Revolution!

angelatc
04-30-2012, 07:58 AM
:rolleyes:

This is why I would suck as a mod. After reading that, I would have deleted it and told him to resubmit with a proper title.

angelatc
04-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Uhh, I haven't lied about anything.

It was long before March 15 when you told us that you were not with the campaign.

angelatc
04-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Regardless, that would make it 9-13 hours, not just 13.

Having worked on a campaign, I can vouch that there's no such thing as an 8 hour day.

angelatc
04-30-2012, 08:11 AM
It's also more than interns make, ......

Minimum wage laws apply to internships. The only exceptions involve students getting college credit in exchange for their experience.

Matt Collins
04-30-2012, 04:05 PM
It was long before March 15 when you told us that you were not with the campaign.Uhh... what are you talking about? :confused: :rolleyes:

MelissaWV
04-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Screw it.