PDA

View Full Version : A Nation Of Morons

DamianTV
04-27-2012, 01:43 AM
http://www.rense.com/general95/morons.html

A Nation Of Morons
By Stephen Lendman
4-26-12

Jefferson called an educated citizenry "a vital requisite for our survival as a free people."

Madison warned that "A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy, or, perhaps both."

Jack Kennedy said "The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all."

In 1748, Montesquieu said "The tyranny of a principal in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy."

In a June 1950 commencement speech, Boston University President Daniel Marsh said, "If the (television) craze continues....we are destined to have a nation of morons."

Well before television arrived, journalist Walter Lippmann called the public "the bewildered herd." In policy matters, their function is to be "spectators," not "participants."

"The common interests elude public opinion entirely," he said, and that's the way it should be.

America's privileged class alone should manage them. Only they need proper education and training. Treat others like mushrooms - well-watered and in the dark. In other words, distracted by bread and circuses. More on that below.

In his book, "Amusing Ourselves to Death," Neil Postman said "Americans are the most entertained and least informed people in the world." Most know little or nothing about what matters most.

Public ignorance isn't universal, but a significant majority's affected. Henry Ford once said:

"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.”

It's also true for out-of-control imperialism, war and peace overall, political corruption, corporate power, illusory democracy, elections little more than theater, police state lawlessness, an unprecedented wealth disparity, shocking poverty, unemployment, hunger and homelessness levels, and numerous other issues in the world's richest country.

Widespread public ignorance keeps these and other abuses out of public consciousness and concern enough to demand political Washington address them responsibly.

Instead, officials serve wealth and power alone. As a result, popular needs go begging, especially under mandated austerity to pay bankers and wage imperial wars.

A nation of morons literally lets America get away with murder, erode human and civil rights, and leave millions uninformed, on their own, out of luck.

Public Education in America

Diogenes called education "the foundation of every state." Father of American education Horace Mann called "(t)he common school....the greatest discovery ever made by man." He meant public, not private, ones to educate all students responsibly.

Today, US public education's targeted for privatization. At issue is commodifying it as another profit center. Bottom line priorities only will matter. As a result, in cities across the country, schools are closed, teachers fired, and students left out in the cold.

Moreover, those in inner city public schools aren't taught. Why bother when high-pay skilled jobs move abroad, and they're left to scramble for low pay, no benefit, unskilled part-time or temp ones at home.

Half a century after the Supreme Court's landmark Brown v. Board of Education ruling, Jonathan Kozol called segregation worse, not better, in his book titled, "The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America."

At the same time, Harvard civil rights researchers commemorated Brown's 50th anniversary saying, "At the beginning of the twenty-first century, American public schools are now 12 years into the process of continuous resegregation."

Desegregation from the 1950s through late 1980s "has receded to levels not seen in three decades." Martin Luther King's dream became a nightmare with respect to education, civil liberties, and inability of growing numbers of underprivileged Americans to get by because help keeps shrinking when they most need it.

In 1983, the National Commission on Excellence in Education published a report titled, "A Nation at Risk: The Imperative for Educational Reform." It found academic performance poor at nearly all levels. It warned that America's educational system was "being eroded by a rising tide of mediocrity."

Today, it's a national disaster by design. So-called education reform's a fraud. It masks privatization schemes, a society of growing haves and have nots, and no desire to educate masses for low pay, low skill jobs if they can find one.

Critics warn of dire consequences to no avail. Several books discussed it. They include Jared Diamond's "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed," Cullen Murphy's "Are We Rome: The Fall of an Empire and the Fate of America," and Adrian Goldsworthy's "How Rome Fell."

They explain the decline and fall of powerful states, and apply what's highlighted to failing education in America. Combined with out-of-control greed, imperialism, corruption, duplicity, and lawlessness, it's a prescription for failure.

In his book titled, "Just How Stupid Are We? Facing the Truth about the American Voter," Rick Shenkman discussed profound public ignorance. He asked, "How much ignorance can a country stand," and said one day we'll find out, perhaps to our dismay.

Numerous examples provide evidence.

University of Michigan studies categorize Americans as follows:

few know much about politics and world affairs;

around half know enough to answer elementary questions; and

all others know virtually nothing.

In the 1980s, less than a third knew Roe v. Wade was a 1970s Supreme Court abortion ruling. Only one-fourth understood senators serve six years. Only 20% knew America has 100 senators. Around 40% knew the nation has three branches of government, but few can explain what separation of powers entails.

Less than half knew America dropped the atom bomb on Japan. In response to a 2005 Gallup poll asking to name America's greatest president, only 14% choose Lincoln and 5% Washington.

Only a third know Congress alone can declare war, or that it can override a president's veto. Around half think the chief executive can suspend the Constitution.

In their book titled, "What Americans Know about Politics and Why It Matters," Michael Delli Carpini and Scott Keeter found only 5% could answer basic economics questions, 11% domestic issues ones, 14% foreign affairs topics, and 10% on geography. Only 25% answered most history questions right.

In 2003, the Strategic Task Force on Education Abroad said, "America's ignorance of the outside world" is so extreme, it threatens national security.

One survey showed nearly one-fourth of Americans able to name all five Simpson family members, compared to one in 1,000 correctly stating all five First Amendment freedoms.

They include free expression, a free press, freedom of religion, the right to assemble peaceably, and to petition government for redress of grievances, as well as the implied rights of association and belief.

Free expression in all forms is most important. Without it, all other rights are at risk.

In 2011, Newsweek magazine gave 1,000 Americans the US citizenship test. The results showed profound ignorance:

38% failed;

29% couldn't name the vice president;

73% knew little or nothing about the Cold War;

40% didn't know why America fought Germany, Japan and Italy in WW II;

63% didn't know the correct number of Supreme Court justices, let alone their names;

65% knew nothing about the Constitutional Convention;

70% didn't know the Constitution is the supreme law of the land;

23% didn't know Martin Luther King fought for civil rights;

40% couldn't explain the Bill of Rights; and

6% didn't know July 4 was Independence Day.

In total, 100 questions were asked. Simple ones included:

where's the White House located?

what's the US capitol?

where does Congress meet?

how many states are there in America?

who's the military commander-in-chief?

name America's two major political parties; and

-- similar questions most everyone should answer easily. Most can't.

Results showed appalling civic ignorance levels. Other tests on reading, math and computer skills are just as dismal. Americans are profoundly ignorant.

In May 2011, the Chicago Sun Times headlined, "Report: Over a third of students entering college need remedial help," saying:

"Nationally, in 2010, only 24 percent of ACT-tested high school graduates were deemed college ready in all four subjects tested - English, math, reading and science." In addition, most lack computer skills.

Columbia University's Community College Research Center found students finish high school unprepared. At the same time, around 80% needing remedial help graduated with GPAs above 3.0.

University of Illinois Professor Debra Bragg called it "a problem for all types of (public) high schools." They don't teach. They shove students through untaught and unprepared. It's why over a third drop out and never finish. In fact, in America's 50 largest cities, rates exceed 40%, and in some major ones approach 50%.

Problems begin in first grade. Columbia University senior research associate Dolores Perin said:

"Students aren't learning strong reading and writing skills and math, and the problems get worse and worse. As kids get older, it just gets harder and harder to do well in school," no matter what grades they're given to shove them out in preparation for the next crop behind them.

In contrast, Western Europeans and Asians score much higher on skills mattering most, as well as knowledge of international issues. Whatever deficiencies affect their schools, they way outperform America's.

Corporate controlled education reform assures worse ahead. For business, only profits matter. Marketplace solutions don't work, especially when they sacrifice vital needs for bottom line priorities and prevent children from fulfilling the American dream.

For growing numbers today, it's a nightmare getting worse.

(contact info for author on original link)

RickyJ
04-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Mercury in vaccines and fluoride in water, with public schools caring more about teaching PC nonsense than teaching anything practical, makes a majority of citizens dumb and easy to control.

kcchiefs6465
04-27-2012, 01:57 AM
We could just end the thread with the title.

Lishy
04-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Mercury in vaccines and fluoride in water, with public schools caring more about teaching PC nonsense than teaching anything practical, makes a majority of citizens dumb and easy to control.

People were stupid before fluoride and mercury, trust me.

WilliamC
04-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Yes but now they are brainwashed and stupid.

I really think that television and television programming are the primary tool that has been used to mold society to actually want to conform with a system that is both stealing from them and may be deliberately trying to physically harm them as well.

In being forced to be around television more than I would normally chose due to my living circumstances I am reminded continuously how insidious and corrupting television is to the brain, it deliberately sets out to destroy one's attention span and overwhelm one's senses to an extent that I honestly think most people can no longer really distinguish between what they see on television and reality.

Very little of television is in any sense 'real'. That doesn't mean you can't get factual information, but it's almost always presented with an unstated premise or paradigm that makes it hard to distinguish facts from opinions. As a result of watching hours of television every day most people are effectively brainwashed so that they can't tell facts from opinions and essentially all their internal dialog, or what they think to themselves, is some sort of television fantasy.

After over a decade of deliberately not watching TV, it literally makes me sick to have to sit in a room where it is on, I can't even watch movies on TV due to the commercials and crap that continuously interrupt them.

If any of you reading my words really want to change simply stop watching television, all of it. It's the easiest best thing you can do for yourself.

Lishy
04-27-2012, 05:46 AM
I think the problem is that uncaring people about politics somehow feel an obligation to vote when they really don't know shit about politics.

thoughtomator
04-27-2012, 06:01 AM
The twin towers of ignorance are television and Prussian educational systems.

Tudo
04-27-2012, 07:28 AM
And ALL the morons support romney/obama

Shredmonster
04-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Sadly it is the nature of man. This is why I don't think man will ever truly be free. One of the 7 deadly sins - being lazy.

They don't want to have to think. They don't want to have to learn. They don't want the responsibility. They don't want the hassle. They don't want to take the time.

No as long as the useless human dribble have "bread and circus" as the Romans use to say they will be kept subdued in bondage.

80% of people make me fucking sick.

Acala
04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Wait! You mean government-run education is ineffective and corrupt? This comes as such a surprise when everything else government does is done so effectively and above-board, with the public good foremost in mind. I'm really shocked. :rolleyes:

Get government out of education at every level. People will still be ignorant and easily manipulated, but there will be diversity in their ignorance and they will be harder to herd in one direction.

CaptUSA
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Sadly it is the nature of man. This is why I don't think man will ever truly be free. One of the 7 deadly sins - being lazy.

I've often thought about this... I'm not so sure it is the nature of man. Think of it in natural terms.

Which animals do you think live the better life? Zoo animals or wild animals?

Zoo animals don't have to worry about food, they don't have to worry about predators, and they don't have to find shelter. But wild animals are free and you never see animals trying to break INTO the zoo.

In nature, animals always go towards the freest location. They flee capitivity. Just look at human migration and you'll see the same thing. People flee oppression and heads towards opportunity and freedom. The problem is that our zoo keepers have created the appearance of freedom here. So until the zoo closes because they can no longer afford the facade, people are likely to believe they are free. It's not until the zoo begins to go bankrupt that they will understand the true nature of their captors. When this happens, they will understand exactly what kind of zoo this will become.

Czolgosz
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
What y'all must understand is that people have *always* been this way. Today's Humans are no different than those in the past.

The exception we ran into, 200+ years ago, is that a group of people *fought* for freedom. They expelled tears, sweat, and blood to bring something of a contract for freedom. It's been squandered in those 200 years because of Human nature.

If you want what we had (and then some) you're gonna have to do the same thing, but take into account the propensity of other Humans to be easily controlled. The solution is in our history books (for now).

The Free Hornet
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
The test appears to be multiple choice, e.g., with regards to MLK:

2. What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?
- became a U.S. Senator
- ran for President of the United States
- fought for women's suffrage
- fought for civil rights

Practice the test here: get your citizenship! (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.d72b75bdf98917853423754f526e0aa0/?vgnextoid=afd6618bfe12f210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=afd6618bfe12f210VgnVCM100000082ca60a RCRD)

One question, I - your humble hornet - got wrong:

2. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
- make treaties
- create an army [INCORRECT!]
- provide schooling and education [CORRECT!]
- coin or print money

I feared the "schooling" answer was what they wanted, but could not answer that because education is not in constitution (and I knew that!):

Education is not mentioned in the Constitution of the United States, and for good reason. The Founders wanted most aspects of life managed by those who were closest to them, either by state or local government or by families, businesses, and other elements of civil society.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/education-and-the-constitution/

Not that "create an army" is much better but there is the "well regulated militia" thing. The test is mostly OK but not free of propaganda.

frodus24
04-27-2012, 10:55 AM
If we begin to see the transition from when the television was created, it has slowly caused the population to become less mobile and lazier. I enjoy some television shows, but I have recently reduced my time staring into the endless abyss for long periods of time.

I often ask folks what they would do if there was no television and the majority answer stating that they would be bored. Bored? Go for a walk. Go to the library. Go play in the street. Go create art. I can think of many things to do instead of being brainwashed by the television.

Also, I comment on the amount of money that is spent on all of this technology shit every month. I am tired of hearing folks complain about not having any money, but have satellite/cable, internet, 4 cell phones and video game subscriptions. This adds up to money, but we know that most must have these packages so they will not be bored. People are just that dumb!

oyarde
04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I could shower in mercury and and still tell you how many Supreme Court Justices there are . In my nightmares I often see an old bat , looks like Ruth.

Anti Federalist
04-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I've often thought about this... I'm not so sure it is the nature of man. Think of it in natural terms.

Which animals do you think live the better life? Zoo animals or wild animals?

Zoo animals don't have to worry about food, they don't have to worry about predators, and they don't have to find shelter. But wild animals are free and you never see animals trying to break INTO the zoo.

In nature, animals always go towards the freest location. They flee capitivity. Just look at human migration and you'll see the same thing. People flee oppression and heads towards opportunity and freedom. The problem is that our zoo keepers have created the appearance of freedom here. So until the zoo closes because they can no longer afford the facade, people are likely to believe they are free. It's not until the zoo begins to go bankrupt that they will understand the true nature of their captors. When this happens, they will understand exactly what kind of zoo this will become.

People have headed to opportunity to satisfy a simple desire, to be fed.

Basic human desire has not changed much in 10,000 years.

People want what people have always wanted, to be fed, entertained and to exercise petty power over their fellow man.

CaptUSA
04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
People have headed to opportunity to satisfy a simple desire, to be fed.

Well, yes. But hunger is not the only impulse for migration. (Religious persecution, war, high taxation...)

These are all nature's way of ensuring liberty. For adherence to liberty creates the most abundant, most peaceful, and most tolerant situations. When people flee the results of tyranny, they head towards liberty, thus ensuring liberty survives. The nature of man serves liberty. Without getting too religious, this is why evil cannot ultimately win. Nature has built in defense mechanisms which prevents tyranny from succeeding. Sure, they may win the battles, but they can never win the war. There were a few men a couple hundred of years ago that began to figure this out. I consider it our job to remind people. Human desire is not a hindrance to liberty, it is a sustenance.

More liberty has been lost by those that would prevent human desire than by those that would encourage it.

Anti Federalist
04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
My outlook of human nature is much too Hobbesian to accept that.

Freedom and liberty are rare, short lived, and must be taken and fought for.

It is the political version of elemental sodium, it does not normally occur in nature.

Well, yes. But hunger is not the only impulse for migration. (Religious persecution, war, high taxation...)

These are all nature's way of ensuring liberty. For adherence to liberty creates the most abundant, most peaceful, and most tolerant situations. When people flee the results of tyranny, they head towards liberty, thus ensuring liberty survives. The nature of man serves liberty. Without getting too religious, this is why evil cannot ultimately win. Nature has built in defense mechanisms which prevents tyranny from succeeding. Sure, they may win the battles, but they can never win the war. There were a few men a couple hundred of years ago that began to figure this out. I consider it our job to remind people. Human desire is not a hindrance to liberty, it is a sustenance.

More liberty has been lost by those that would prevent human desire than by those that would encourage it.

CaptUSA
04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
:) I can accept that disagreement.

<----- I'm more partial to this guy.

My outlook of human nature is much too Hobbesian to accept that.

Freedom and liberty are rare, short lived, and must be taken and fought for.

It is the political version of elemental sodium, it does not normally occur in nature.

Todd
04-27-2012, 12:19 PM

In reference to man being naturally lazy. I think there's some point.

I think that if you take it as a given that man seeks to avoid pain and seek comfort then, in my estimation, that has been the story of our technological progress. Man trying to get out of working harder.

CaptUSA
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
In reference to man being naturally lazy. I think there's some point.

I think that if you take it as a given that man seeks to avoid pain and seek comfort then, in my estimation, that has been the story of our technological progress. Man trying to get out of working harder.See, I think men have a desire to work as efficiently as possible, but I believe they all have a desire to work. I don't think it's laziness as much as it is getting the most reward for the least amount of work. While that may sound like laziness, I think it is more like "economy". If it were truly laziness, progress would not occur.

Anti Federalist
04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
:) I can accept that disagreement.

<----- I'm more partial to this guy.

I figured that was the case. ;)

Todd
04-27-2012, 12:31 PM
If we begin to see the transition from when the television was created, it has slowly caused the population to become less mobile and lazier. I enjoy some television shows, but I have recently reduced my time staring into the endless abyss for long periods of time.

I often ask folks what they would do if there was no television and the majority answer stating that they would be bored. Bored? Go for a walk. Go to the library. Go play in the street. Go create art. I can think of many things to do instead of being brainwashed by the television.

Also, I comment on the amount of money that is spent on all of this technology shit every month. I am tired of hearing folks complain about not having any money, but have satellite/cable, internet, 4 cell phones and video game subscriptions. This adds up to money, but we know that most must have these packages so they will not be bored. People are just that dumb!

Amusing ourselves to Death - Neal Postman (Classic)

BTW: Good to see a fellow Virginian. I am familiar with Danville area.

Pericles
04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
What y'all must understand is that people have *always* been this way. Today's Humans are no different than those in the past.

The exception we ran into, 200+ years ago, is that a group of people *fought* for freedom. They expelled tears, sweat, and blood to bring something of a contract for freedom. It's been squandered in those 200 years because of Human nature.

If you want what we had (and then some) you're gonna have to do the same thing, but take into account the propensity of other Humans to be easily controlled. The solution is in our history books (for now).

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

tttppp
04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
I love how it states that private education won't work, while at the same time arguing for better education. Why would you want to improve results and reduce costs?

tttppp
04-27-2012, 12:49 PM
See, I think men have a desire to work as efficiently as possible, but I believe they all have a desire to work. I don't think it's laziness as much as it is getting the most reward for the least amount of work. While that may sound like laziness, I think it is more like "economy". If it were truly laziness, progress would not occur.

A lot of people don't understand this. They think when you are trying to automate something, you are just doing so because you are too lazy to do the work.

I remember one time I suggested to my bosses a way to automate a function on the computer so we didn't have to spend so much time doing it manually. This would have saved us many employee man hours per month. They shot it down and accused me of being lazy. This game at a meeting where they were asking for suggestions on how to reduce hours. Needless to say, this is not a very good company.

DamianTV
04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I'll betcha the Owner(s) would have disagreed.

tttppp
04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I'll betcha the Owner(s) would have disagreed.

This company was full of hypocrites. They were constantly saying they wanted one thing then doing another. Why bother holding a meeting to find out ways to be more efficient, only to criticize the only person offering a suggestion? If you don't want to go with the suggestion, thats one thing. But don't criticize me for being lazy.

Plus, I think a thank you would have been in order. I don't get any money for being more efficient. If they adopted my idea and made more money, they would get it, not me.

Anti Federalist
04-27-2012, 01:05 PM
http://karendecoster.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/terrorist.jpg

frodus24
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Amusing ourselves to Death - Neal Postman (Classic)

BTW: Good to see a fellow Virginian. I am familiar with Danville area.

Awesome! If you know Danville, then you know what I am talking about. It's ridiculous. Where do you reside now?

CaptUSA
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
http://karendecoster.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/terrorist.jpg
Mmmmm.... Those nachos look tasty!