PDA

View Full Version : Hotair: CISPA just got way worse and then passed the House on a rushed vote

Agorism
04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Hotair: CISPA just got way worse and then passed the House on a rushed vote

http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2012/04/26/cispa-just-got-way-worse-and-then-passed-the-house-on-a-rushed-vote/

CISPA just got way worse and then passed the House on a rushed vote

Previously, CISPA allowed the government to use information for “cybersecurity” or “national security” purposes. Those purposes have not been limited or removed. Instead, three more valid uses have been added: investigation and prosecution of cybersecurity crime, protection of individuals, and protection of children. Cybersecurity crime is defined as any crime involving network disruption or hacking, plus any violation of the CFAA.

Basically this means CISPA can no longer be called a cybersecurity bill at all. The government would be able to search information it collects under CISPA for the purposes of investigating American citizens with complete immunity from all privacy protections as long as they can claim someone committed a “cybersecurity crime”. Basically it says the 4th Amendment does not apply online, at all. Moreover, the government could do whatever it wants with the data as long as it can claim that someone was in danger of bodily harm, or that children were somehow threatened—again, notwithstanding absolutely any other law that would normally limit the government’s power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPTfwW89UIY

Feeding the Abscess
04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
HotAir jacks off over idiots who push this stuff, then they get mad when this sort of stuff passes...? Uh...

DamianTV
04-27-2012, 12:28 AM
And who is going to interpret the law? The very people that intend to apply it in ways that will be nothing short of abuse.

Lucille
04-27-2012, 08:05 AM
HotAir jacks off over idiots who push this stuff, then they get mad when this sort of stuff passes...? Uh...

Interesting how they never blog this stuff before it happens, hm? It's always after.

angelatc
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM
The same people that think it's perfectly fine to hold terror suspects indefinitely with no trial are suddenly aghast that the 4th Amendment is next on the list. Priceless.

brandon
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I thought HotAir loved the expansion of the police state. I'm seriously confused about why they are against this. Can anyone explain?

angelatc
04-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I thought HotAir loved the expansion of the police state. I'm seriously confused about why they are against this. Can anyone explain?

There's still some support for it in the comments. But to answer your question, it's because they're batshit insane. You can't make sense out of insanity.

Occam's Banana
04-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Perhaps this is a case of "It's OK to piss in other peoples' pools, just don't piss in mine!"

brandon
04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
From the comments:

A word of caution: NEVER trust any legislation that the government pushes in the name of “increasing security.” Ever.

Wait what? Are these the same people that love George Bush and the Patriot Act?

Agorism
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
bump