PDA

View Full Version : Email Hacks/Exploits - Developers advice

J Free
11-15-2007, 12:01 PM
The recent email re the Liberty Dollar - hoax or not - has made me paranoid about my project (see sig below).

Up to now, I've been just blissfully assuming honesty among people who might use the service. But email is, in all likelihood, the major way my project spreads the word.

Since we RP supporters are already characterized as "spammers" by the media, I have no doubt that if this project works, that it runs a real risk of being slammed the same way.

I am not a programmer/developer and don't even know how to identify what weaknesses might exist in the code. The code is open-source though - php. Tarball at http://forwardtrack.eyebeamresearch.org/dist/forwardtrack-1.1b.tar.gz

I have content up on google docs so that it can be collaborated on together. Is there a similar sort of mechanism for collaborating on code stuff too? Specifically re finding and then if necessary closing whatever email exploits/faults may be in the current code?

jd603
11-15-2007, 12:19 PM
With SPF and domainkeys and understanding E-Mail headers I don't really fear spoofed e-mail any more. I have a deep knowledge of e-mail servers/protocols though.

IF the libertydollar domain was set-up properly and you use a good e-mail server, it will probably get flagged as spam if SPF/DomainKeys don't match.

Edit: liberty dollar doesn't appear to have an SPF record, so their e-mail hosting may be sub-par and more vulnerable to spoofed e-mail.

The recent email re the Liberty Dollar - hoax or not - has made me paranoid about my project (see sig below).

Up to now, I've been just blissfully assuming honesty among people who might use the service. But email is, in all likelihood, the major way my project spreads the word.

Since we RP supporters are already characterized as "spammers" by the media, I have no doubt that if this project works, that it runs a real risk of being slammed the same way.

I am not a programmer/developer and don't even know how to identify what weaknesses might exist in the code. The code is open-source though - php. Tarball at http://forwardtrack.eyebeamresearch.org/dist/forwardtrack-1.1b.tar.gz

I have content up on google docs so that it can be collaborated on together. Is there a similar sort of mechanism for collaborating on code stuff too? Specifically re finding and then if necessary closing whatever email exploits/faults may be in the current code?