PDA

View Full Version : What we learned from our PA delegate race that will help the next states

groverblue
04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Poll workers, Poll workers, Poll workers.

Forget Canvasing. Forget robo-calls. Forget mailing. They don't work in delegate races, because delegate races are not public offices.

My name is John Manko, and I was a delegate candidate for CD17 in PA.

http://www.palibertydelegates.com/Delegate_Card_Front_CD17_web.png

http://www.palibertydelegates.com/Delegate_Card_Reverse_web.png

We spent countless man hours canvassing 4 counties in a 6 county district. We delegate had a team of people, and we completely covered our home counties (Luzerne and Lackawanna, with the exception of two boroughs - for reason), delivering cards to every single registered republican who voted in any election in the last 4 years. Over 40,000 pieces of literature hand delivered.

Since we canvased Luzerne and Lackawanna, we decided to focus our polling efforts on counties and precincts that we couldn't canvas. So, Luzerne and Lackawanna did not have any poll workers. Here are the results from those counties (RP delegates in bold - keep in mind that these are our home counties):

Lackawanna County
Republican Primary
Candidate Votes Percent
ANTONELLO, ANTHONY M. 926 9.0%
MANKO, JOHN 621 6.0%
DAUB, DANIEL L. 298 2.9%
MCANDREW SPANO, MARY ROSE 1,372 13.4%
KERR, ROBERT 594 5.8%
MILLER, TRENT 607 5.9%
STERNS, GRETCHEN D. 419 4.1%
GAETANO, ROSE ANN 1,087 10.6%
SPANO, CHARLIE 1,596 15.5%
MONTERO, MARIA 590 5.7%
THOMAS, SCOTT R. 664 6.5%
DOUGHERTY, MARY BETH 930 9.1%
ROCES, ELTGAD S. 112 1.1%
MEZZACAPPA, TRICIA J. 458 4.5%

Luzerne County
Candidate Votes Percent
ANTONELLO, ANTHONY M. 828 11.7%
MANKO, JOHN 452 6.4%
DAUB, DANIEL L. 228 3.2%
MCANDREW SPANO, MARY ROSE 712 10.1%
KERR, ROBERT 509 7.2%
MILLER, TRENT 538 7.6%
STERNS, GRETCHEN D. 393 5.6%
GAETANO, ROSE ANN 679 9.6%
SPANO, CHARLIE 516 7.3%
MONTERO, MARIA 429 6.1%
THOMAS, SCOTT R. 534 7.6%
DOUGHERTY, MARY BETH 856 12.1%
ROCES, ELTGAD S. 115 1.6%
MEZZACAPPA, TRICIA J. 286 4.0%

As you can see, we didn't do well, even though we indicated that we were from those counties.

Now, here are the results from a county we had poll workers:

Monroe County
Candidate Votes Percent
ANTONELLO, ANTHONY M. 1,097 12.9%
MANKO, JOHN 869 10.2%
DAUB, DANIEL L. 511 6.0%
MCANDREW SPANO, MARY ROSE 618 7.3%
KERR, ROBERT 716 8.4%
MILLER, TRENT 928 10.9%
STERNS, GRETCHEN D. 439 5.2%
GAETANO, ROSE ANN 553 6.5%
SPANO, CHARLIE 461 5.4%
MONTERO, MARIA 413 4.9%
THOMAS, SCOTT R. 631 7.4%
DOUGHERTY, MARY BETH 861 10.1%
ROCES, ELTGAD S. 114 1.3%
MEZZACAPPA, TRICIA J. 309 3.6%

In fact, if we look at a few precinct where we actually had poll
workers, here is the breakdown from Monroe County:

Precinct (ANTONELLO) (MANKO) (MILLER) (Next Competitor)
Polk 116 102 152 65
Tobyhanna E 107 83 95 60
Tobyhanna W 48 36 34 34
Ross 92 58 62 54
M Smithfield E 86 83 65 46
M Smithfield W 60 56 52 49
Eldred 33 29 33 30
Chestnuthill 2 54 49 55 37
Chestnuthill 3 32 21 25 31

and so on....

So, we've learned that the only effective way to win a delegate race is to put people at polls, and make sure that the literature the issues, and nothing more.

For the remaining states, all RP supporters need to reach out to them and help out. Volunteer to work their polls. If they want the Photoshop template shown above, have them contact me. It was HIGHLY effective, and a lot of positive feedback. The reverse is nice, too.

I'm beat, so that's all I'm going to type right now. If you want more Ron Paul delegates, you need to learn from our experience. We were able to elect one of our three delegates due to working the polls. Had we spent the time to find volunteers to work the other polls instead of canvasing, we all would have won. There is a secondary win, here, though. Our efforts were so successful that we stop delegates candidates who have been elected delegates for the past 4 presidential elections. That's power.

Learn from us. Find 100 poll workers for your district. Find them from other states. Volunteer to help other states.

The revolution continues.

kathy88
04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Very few states choose delegates the way we do.

digitaldean
04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Can anyone list which do it the way of PA? Only around 14 states left.

gerryb
04-26-2012, 08:47 PM

This is a lesson for all elections. We had the same results here in Virginia. Where we had poll workers we did much better(And it helped us ID people who wanted to be delegates to our conventions)

tsai3904
04-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Can anyone list which do it the way of PA?

Illinois is the most similar.

Indiana and Nebraska elect delegates to attend conventions but some names won't show up on a ballot if the race is uncontested.

Lindsey
04-26-2012, 09:01 PM
John,

I only had the chance to volunteer to collect signatures and not again until I worked the poll. And while I haven't seen any numbers, I really believe you are correct - the most important thing is working the polls. For anything other than the beauty pageant and maybe the senator seat, it seemed that almost no one came with a specific candidate in mind. For the delegate race, they were mostly happy someone was there to tell them what to do.

Unfortunately, there were also establishment people there, with their anti-RP delegate lit. I got to every person as they got out of their cars and helped them find the door(they had moved the polling place.) The establishment people were much more passive and waited inside the door (literally next to the voting booths). While I didn't have the personal relationships that the establishment people did with the voters at the precinct, I was able to build their trust by helping them and I am sure we got more than a handful to vote for our delegates by actively pursuing them.

Even more important than poll workers though is ballot placement. Looking statewide, in nearly all of the races, the first 3 (4) delegates on the ballot won. How is ballot placement determined?

BTW, I am glad to see my home district elected at least 1 RP delegate. I would be a CD17'er.

gerryb
04-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Even more important than poll workers though is ballot placement. Looking statewide, in nearly all of the races, the first 3 (4) delegates on the ballot won. How is ballot placement determined?

You hit the nail on the head for the MOST effective activity in PA.

The way you give yourself a HUGE advantage is get a coalition of dozens of volunteers together -- and all compete to be on the ballot -- pledging to support whoever draws the top spots.

PA has a lottery to determine the placement on the ballot.. So if RP people filed 100 candidates, and establishment filed 20.. We have a huge advantage for drawing the top 3 spots.

J_White
04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
bump !

MadOdorMachine
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
What do mean by "working the polls?"

Scott_in_PA
04-26-2012, 11:07 PM

Standing for 14 hours, 10 feet from the door, handing the voters a card with candidates that you would like them to consider.

Edit:

It does work.

RDM
04-26-2012, 11:11 PM

It means going to a polling station and stay there from open to close (if possible). Handing out literature, pamphlets, delegate cards, etc. NOT STANDING THERE JUST HOLDING A SIGN!!!!!!!!!

parocks
04-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Get more famous delegates is another idea. Sports and Entertainment figures.

MadOdorMachine
04-26-2012, 11:23 PM
It means going to a polling station and stay there from open to close (if possible). Handing out literature, pamphlets, delegate cards, etc. NOT STANDING THERE JUST HOLDING A SIGN!!!!!!!!!
So you're saying go to the place people are voting and hand phamplets out there correct?

RDM
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM
So you're saying go to the place people are voting and hand phamplets out there correct?

Yes. I don't know what state you're in, but there are a few things to consider. If it's a closed primary where you live, which means registered voters have to vote their party, then you identify voters as they approach and ask them are they voting Republican today. If yes, then you give them what literature you have. If it's open primary, then you give to ALL voters approaching polling station. Check with your district Ron Paul group and see if they have approved literature or pamphlets they plan on handing to voters. Depending on your area, they may be focusing on HOT issues like Gun Control or something else that relates to your area to persuade voters.

MadOdorMachine
04-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Yes. I don't know what state you're in, but there are a few things to consider. If it's a closed primary where you live, which means registered voters have to vote their party, then you identify voters as they approach and ask them are they voting Republican today. If yes, then you give them what literature you have. If it's open primary, then you give to ALL voters approaching polling station. Check with your district Ron Paul group and see if they have approved literature or pamphlets they plan on handing to voters. Depending on your area, they may be focusing on HOT issues like Gun Control or something else that relates to your area to persuade voters.
I'm in Nebraska and my wife and I are going to be on the ballot to be delegates. It's a closed primary, so you have to be a registered Republican to vote. I'll make sure to make a broshure though.

groverblue, can you please PM me the file. I would like to use your templete if you don't mind.

gerryb
04-27-2012, 12:32 AM

Don't forget the most important part:

BUILD YOUR LIST.

Keep in contact with those you meet. Next election you can call everyone you meet an ask them to pitch in.

defe07
04-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Illinois is the most similar.

Indiana and Nebraska elect delegates to attend conventions but some names won't show up on a ballot if the race is uncontested.

West Virginia definitely allows their voters to directly choose their delegates, both district and at-large.

Bman
04-27-2012, 01:29 AM
It's not just poll workers. You also really need to be someone in a lot of these places. Quite a few people who won delegate in PA were people that held offices.

Who knows where the Ron Paul Revolution goes past 2012, but I would say you need a combination of 3 things in PA.

1. Name recognition
2. Hold an office
3. Poll workers

none of these 3, you may as well stay home.

csu1987
04-27-2012, 03:41 AM
deleted

csu1987
deleted.

csu1987
Don't forget the most important part:

BUILD YOUR LIST.

Keep in contact with those you meet. Next election you can call everyone you meet an ask them to pitch in.

Explain the best way to do this as they are walking in please.

juvanya
04-27-2012, 05:34 AM
blah blah blah

Damn. We couldve won every delegate.

brandon
04-27-2012, 05:57 AM
PA has a lottery to determine the placement on the ballot.. So if RP people filed 100 candidates, and establishment filed 20.. We have a huge advantage for drawing the top 3 spots.

Yep this is hands down the best strategy and it was suggested to the campaign, but shot down due to lack of resources. In some areas it's hard to find more than 6 dedicated, respectable, trustworthy people to support for delegate. And the petitioning would have been a nightmare. I don't know how much the campaign spent on petitioning, but I'm sure it's in the high tens of thousands. If we doubled the candidates we could have easily tripled the cost.

The way to win, other than good ballot placement, is to get your party's endorsement. Obviously that's not going to happen until we all become committeemen with voting rights first.

I also think direct mail could be effective if we had money to burn.

Melissa
04-27-2012, 06:02 AM
I sent you my email to get a template please

CaptUSA
04-27-2012, 06:09 AM
It's not just poll workers. You also really need to be someone in a lot of these places. Quite a few people who won delegate in PA were people that held offices.

Who knows where the Ron Paul Revolution goes past 2012, but I would say you need a combination of 3 things in PA.

1. Name recognition
2. Hold an office
3. Poll workers

none of these 3, you may as well stay home.Yes, this is it.

It's all about name recognition here. The majority of Republican voters in this state vote for name they have voted for before. My district, CD3, had 3 well-known names and all 3 of those won.

I worked the polls and handed out lots of cards. I believe I got many people to switch, but I don't know if it was enough to overcome the name-recognition even at my polling place. I can guarantee you that my polling place did a lot better than those without a poll-worker, but the name-recognition thing is huge! The establishment in PA knows just which people have enough name recognition to put on the ballot in order to maintain their ability to choose their candidates.

groverblue
04-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Here are the Photoshop PSDs. These images have a color mode of CMYK, and that's because they are meant to be used by a professional printer. I Highly recommend that you get 10,000 to 15,000 of these printed at the professional printer. It's only a couple hundred dollars, and the quality is very nice. After you make your changes, you want to save these at Photoshop PDF, but without the Photoshop editing capability imbedded (this will drastically reduce the file size). Saving it as a PDF will embed the fonts, which will be needed by the printer. If you simply send them an image file, the fonts that are printed on the cards will look blurry instead of crisp. Additionally, I used all the highest quality export settings. If you have any questions, let me know. Send me a private message, don't just reply to this thread because I may not see it.

YOU MUST LEGALLY REMOVE THE PaLibertyDelegates (paid for by, website, etc) references. We do not, and cannot, authorize it's usage. You will get fined by the FEC if you do use it.

http://www.palibertydelegates.com/Delegate_Card_Front.psd.zip

http://www.palibertydelegates.com/Delegate_Card_Reverse.psd.zip

This is what we ordered form the printer:
Job Description: POSTCARD 4/4 4 x 6 SINGLE VERSION
Finished Size: 4X6
Stock Description: ENDURANCE 100# GLOSS COVER
Ink Requirements: Front : Black, Process Yellow, Process Blue, Process Red
Back : Black, Process Yellow, Process Blue, Process Red

Bastiat's The Law
04-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Here are the Photoshop PSDs. These images have a color mode of CMYK, and that's because they are meant to be used by a professional printer. I Highly recommend that you get 10,000 to 15,000 of these printed at the professional printer. It's only a couple hundred dollars, and the quality is very nice. After you make your changes, you want to save these at Photoshop PDF, but without the Photoshop editing capability imbedded (this will drastically reduce the file size). Saving it as a PDF will embed the fonts, which will be needed by the printer. If you simply send them an image file, the fonts that are printed on the cards will look blurry instead of crisp. Additionally, I used all the highest quality export settings. If you have any questions, let me know. Send me a private message, don't just reply to this thread because I may not see it.

YOU MUST LEGALLY REMOVE THE PaLibertyDelegates (paid for by, website, etc) references. We do not, and cannot, authorize it's usage. You will get fined by the FEC if you do use it.

http://www.palibertydelegates.com/Delegate_Card_Front.psd.zip

http://www.palibertydelegates.com/Delegate_Card_Reverse.psd.zip

This is what we ordered form the printer:
Job Description: POSTCARD 4/4 4 x 6 SINGLE VERSION
Finished Size: 4X6
Stock Description: ENDURANCE 100# GLOSS COVER
Ink Requirements: Front : Black, Process Yellow, Process Blue, Process Red
Back : Black, Process Yellow, Process Blue, Process Red
Outstanding information here! Hopefully it can be utilized in the upcoming states. Maybe these handouts could be modified to help Paul supporters win in local and state elections as well.

RonRules
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Standing for 14 hours, 10 feet from the door, handing the voters a card with candidates that you would like them to consider.

Edit:

It does work.

We will see your good work in the charts. Check the flipping thread tomorrow.

parocks
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM
This is a good thread. Telling us that poll workers do work is important info. Giving out graphics that work is good.

Making assessments of each CD beforehand is also good. In this CD, we won 1. Perhaps with more poll workers we could've won 2 or 3. We can assume that in this CD, there were no famous delegate candidates. Someone mentioned CD 3, and noted that the people who won were famous.

Perhaps you have a conference call or 2 - all the heads of the CDs - where you discuss things like "how many delegate candidates are famous in your CD?" When it is realized that there's a fame gap there, maybe it is then said that resourses should be spent in CDs where there aren't famous people.

About "first on the ballot", it doesn't seem to be all that important. Yes, it's better to be at the top then the bottom, but based on my looking at the ballot, it seems like being at the top of the ballot was more helpful to delegates who were not our delegates.

We were in the top 3 quite a few times. How did we do with those candidates?

District - number of Ron Paul delegates in first 3(4) / number of those in top 3 who won.

1 - 1 / 1
2 - 0 / 0
3 - 1 / 0
4 - 0 / 0
5 - 1 / 1 (also won a delegate who wasn't in first 3)
6 - 0 / 0
7 - 3 / 0
8 - 1 / 0
9 - 1 / 0
10 - 1 / 0
11 - 1 / 0
12 - 0 / 0
13 - 0 / 0
14 - 0 / 0
15 - 0 / 0
16 - 1 / 0
17 - 2 / 1
18 - 1 / 0 (also won a delegate who wasn't in first 3)

So, we had 15 candidates in the first 3(4), and won 3 of them.
We also won 2 who weren't in the top 3(4).

It does not seem that being in the top 3(4) is really that important a factor. Yes, it
helps, but it does not seem to be the number 1 thing we should focus on.

I would want to know what the Brian P. Dougherty in District 18 story was, and I would want to know what the Thomas G. Brown story was in District 5.

Dougherty in District 18 was 8th on the ballot of 13, was 3rd in a District that elected 4, and we had a Ron Paul delegate candidate in the top 4 of the list. What were the special circumstances surrounding Doughtry.

Brown in District 5 was 5 of 6 on the ballot. Here it appears that the Ron Paul slate did well. We won 2 of 3, and the guy who didn't win did well.

I'd chalk up the District 5 performance to work on the ground, and Ron Paul being popular.

But I don't know about Dougherty.

gerryb
04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Explain the best way to do this as they are walking in please.

When you are asking them for their vote for your candidates -- if you get a positive response - ask if they could fill out your sign-up form so you can keep in touch about election or issue information in the future.

Your sign-up form should have name, phone, e-mail at a minimum -- and address optional. Make sure when you database it to keep the info on what precinct the data was collected in. The form should have 6 or 7 issues and ask them to check off their top 2 so you know how to message and develop a relationship with them in the future.

liberalnurse
04-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Proof that working the polls works. Giving myself a little pat on the back here. Our delegates and our alternate won my little, rural precinct. I worked 9 hours at our polling place. It was like old home week. I was assisting the elderly in and out of their cars, folding walkers and putting canes in the bcak seats. LOL My best moment of the day. A hansome young man pulls up in a pickup. I said are you voting republican today? He very adamantly says, "Yes, I am." I said are you a RP Republican and he just looked at me and I said well, if you are here's your delegates. He smiled took the card and gave me a thumbs up when he left and I gave him a smile and the peace sign. Anyway here are the results: Ours were Cipolla, Price and Wilson. Alternate: Nancy Price
CD 10
REP Delegate National Convention 10 REP
Total
Number of Precincts 1
Precincts Reporting 1 100.0 %
Times Counted 182/0
Total Votes 436

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony CIPOLLA REP 85 19.50%
Mark J. HARRIS REP 45 10.32%
Carol D. SIDES REP 40 9.17%
James T. PRICE REP 79 18.12%
Matt ROSS REP 42 9.63%
Pat SAYLOR REP 46 10.55%
Robert C. BROBSON REP 21 4.82%
Aaron WILSON REP 78 17.89%
Write-in Votes 0 0.00%

REP Alternate Delegate National Convention 10 REP
Total
Number of Precincts 1
Precincts Reporting 1 100.0 %
Times Counted 182/0
Total Votes 315

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nancy E. PRICE REP 118 37.46%
Donna M. COSMELLO REP 89 28.25%
Mark J. HARRIS

juvanya
04-28-2012, 08:58 AM
About "first on the ballot", it doesn't seem to be all that important. Yes, it's better to be at the top then the bottom, but based on my looking at the ballot, it seems like being at the top of the ballot was more helpful to delegates who were not our delegates.

It provides a statistically significant advantage, but it wont necessarily win you an election.

Tod
04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
And the petitioning would have been a nightmare. I don't know how much the campaign spent on petitioning, but I'm sure it's in the high tens of thousands. If we doubled the candidates we could have easily tripled the cost.

Where does the expense come from? Postage? Paying people to circulate petitions?

Cleaner44
04-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Last year I created Ron Paul Delegates (http://ronpauldelegates.wordpress.com/) for another member here, ninepointfive, to manage. He has done a great job of growing it. I think it could be helpful to add our lessons learned and conclusions to the site.

Would the OP and/or anyone with experience please consider going over there and posting?

P.S.
Funny sidenote... I got an email from my state coordinator and he had used the image I created for the header. Very cool to see come back. :)

http://ronpauldelegates.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cropped-ron-paul-delegate-header-4.jpg

eleganz
04-28-2012, 11:16 AM
This just works in general..if we had people at polling stations in Virginia, we would've won.

groverblue
04-30-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm putting together an in-depth analysis of the numbers for all scenarios. I'll post a link when it's complete. I hope to create a template for each district in PA going forward that will outline the delegate process in it's entirety, from filing & challenges to campaigning & election day. It may take me a while. Lost of info.

groverblue
05-01-2012, 01:50 PM
bump for WV

gerryb
05-01-2012, 02:21 PM
This just works in general..if we had people at polling stations in Virginia, we would've won.

And we would have collected info on literally thousands of additional supporters who we do not know exist -- and gotten them to be delegates to vote for our party leadership, as well as RNC national delegates

defe07
05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
This is important to push for showing up at the polls at Indiana, West Virginia and North Carolina. By the way, does anybody know any updated delegate numbers from Pennsylvania?

gorgonzola
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
This is all great discussion--Thanks, it is helpful!

I wonder though, how many are still on the fence when getting to the state conventions with the precinct delegates already selected.

defe07
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
In West Virginia and Indiana, it's important to win the state's Congressional Districts. I haven't seen a list of the Paul delegates in Indiana (if somebody has a list of them, please let me know) but in West Virginia I found out that in 2 districts, Santorum didn't file any delegates! By the way, I forgot to mention that voters directly choose the delegates in West Virginia!