PDA

View Full Version : Obama Administration Seeks National Ban on Cell Phone Use While Driving

stu2002
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Obama Administration Seeks National Ban on Cell Phone Use While Driving

http://bit.ly/IllUqN

direct link:
http://www.newsmax.com/US/lahood-ban-cell-phones/2012/04/26/id/437254

Drex
04-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I will gladly hold out my cellphone when I see a cop if this passes

RickyJ
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Truckers have been using CB's for decades and I haven't heard about them talking while driving causing more accidents. People who are distracted while driving are a problem on the roads for sure, but there are many ways to be distracted while driving and talking on a cell phone is probably one of the least distracting things while driving. Now texting while driving is very dangerous and should not be done, but even that should not be banned.

sevin
04-26-2012, 08:14 PM
What's if it's on speaker phone?

Drex
04-26-2012, 08:17 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyWx3AEorN51tQh33IUHRMAOlfZmWCW p1synojTJjGl63ZXsIO
Talk on this and get pulled over

musicmax
04-26-2012, 08:45 PM
You know who communicates using electronic devices the most in stressful driving situations?

The police.

idiom
04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
We have that in New Zealand. Everybody got a hands free kit. No big deal.

Anti Federalist
04-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Just so everybody is aware of where this is heading:

"It used to be that if an officer pulled you over for drunk driving, he would pat you on the back, maybe call you a cab or take you home, but he wouldn't arrest you," LaHood said. "Now that has changed, and the same enforcement can work for people who talk on cell phones while driving."

So, MADD, ya proud of yourself?

Us "nuts" were right, thirty years ago, when we told you where all this would end, with roadblocks, prison, checkpoints and heavy handed enforcement of many other things besides just "drunk driving".

We were called "paranoid" and "conspiracy theorists" and "fear mongers".

I know, I was there.

I normally don't wish harm on people, but you would not find me feeling remorseful if they were some of the first people thrown in prison for this.

RickyJ
04-26-2012, 09:16 PM

No big deal!

It is a BIG DEAL here buddy!

Freedoms that everybody takes for granted will all be gone if we let them dictate every little thing we can and can't do.

rockerrockstar
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I think the States can handle this issue. Why do we need a national law on it? Sounds like the Fed may ban hands free too. Some states are all ready banning the handsfree but not many. Most are banning using phone or texting if it is not hands free.

DamianTV
04-27-2012, 12:40 AM

That isnt the point. The point is everyone had to BUY something. Hmmm, I wonder if those that were selling the Hands Free Kits had something to do with that bill going thru? Oh yeah, and hands free doesnt help much for replying to TEXT MESSAGES.

Funny story. I have a Remote Control for my Car Stereo. Old Kenwood. They came with remotes as a way to allow passengers in the back seat to adjust the volume. Anywho, I usually use the Remote for skipping songs or changing the volume. I got pulled over about a month ago for "answering my Remote Control" and nearly got a ticket, except for the fact I didnt have a cell phone on me. Officer wasnt sure what to say and let me off with a "warning" that he didnt want to see me "answering my remote again".

Shift of Focus.

New Zealand passing a National Law is one thing, but each State of the United States is supposed to be treated, from within the States, as its own country. We are not supposed to have "National Laws". We have Federal Laws, which are supposed to only apply when crossing State Lines. For example, what is Legal in one State may be Illegal in another State. Think Pot Laws. The Federal Govt is well within its limitations when it expresses that what happens inside a State's Border is up to the State, but when going between States, it falls into Federal Jurisdiction. So when the Federal Govt comes along and tells California, inside the State of California, that their legalization of Marijuana, for whatever purpose, can go right out the window, they are exceeding the powers granted to them by the US Constitution.

The same thing applies to a Nationwide Cell Phone ban. It is Unconstitutional because it exceeds the powers granted to the Federal Govt (again, between States) in the Constitution. Each State would need to pass its own Law prohibiting talking on a Cell Phone while Driving. It wouldnt be a big deal if each State said we are gonna ban Cell Driving, but for the President to flat out come out and say "Im gonna pass a National Law" is a problem. #1, it exceeds the Presidents Role as the Executive Branch. His job is to Execute Laws, not Legislate them into existence. #2, I already talked about it, the difference between the States and the Federal Govt. Now if that isnt Statist, Authoritarian, and a Usurptation of Power, I dont know what is.

stu2002
04-27-2012, 04:17 AM
New Zealand passing a National Law is one thing, but each State of the United States is supposed to be treated, from within the States, as its own country. We are not supposed to have "National Laws". We have Federal Laws, which are supposed to only apply when crossing State Lines.

Well-there are some laws that are meat to be national in scope:

Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlei

Lucille
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM
What's if it's on speaker phone?

The ban includes hands-free devices.

As part of its recommendation, the National Transportation Safety Board is urging states to ban drivers from using hands-free devices (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/technology/federal-panel-urges-cellphone-ban-for-drivers.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss), including wireless headsets.
[...]
The ban is also noteworthy because it is the first call by a federal agency to end the practice completely, rather than the partial ban that some legislators have put in place by allowing hands-free talking.

Danke
04-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I have nothing to hide talk about.

JebSanderson
04-28-2012, 11:01 AM
They should just ban talking in cars.

PaulStandsTall
04-28-2012, 11:10 AM
BAN PHONES

BAN CARS

BAN FUN

BAN EVERYTHING

-The gov't

Danke
04-28-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyHEUCcejn0

Root
04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I can see it now. Cops setting up d.u.c.p checkpoints where they connect a scanner to your phone to see if you've used it in the past XX number of minutes. Of course, they also download all your emails, pics, and contacts. Feds use cispa to 'share' that data...

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
They have been doing enforcement of this in California for years. One of the methods they use is riding motorcycles down the center line in heavy traffic and looking into every vehicle they pass.

Edit: They are also checking seat-belts or any other violations they can see.

Henry Rogue
04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
There is already a law that covers texting, it's called Inattentive Driving.

matt0611
04-28-2012, 11:48 AM

You don't understand, that's not the point. The federal government does not have the authority to do this. The people of the states never gave them this power.

JebSanderson
04-28-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm curious, is receiving oral sex while driving illegal? That seems to me to be quite a bit more dangerous than having a conversation on a cell phone, especially when a steering wheel only takes one hand to operate and most cars are automatic...

Anti Federalist
04-28-2012, 12:11 PM
I can see it now. Cops setting up d.u.c.p checkpoints where they connect a scanner to your phone to see if you've used it in the past XX number of minutes. Of course, they also download all your emails, pics, and contacts. Feds use cispa to 'share' that data...

Most "smart phones" have motion sensors installed already, for proper screen orientation as you rotate the phone.

I can see them using that, or the internal GPS tracking, to shut a phone off while in motion.

Danke
04-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm curious, is receiving oral sex while driving illegal? That seems to me to be quite a bit more dangerous than having a conversation on a cell phone, especially when a steering wheel only takes one hand to operate and most cars are automatic...

This is why blondes prefer Tilt Wheel Steering.

Root
04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Sure, but check-points let them spend more money we don't have.

Brian Coulter
04-28-2012, 12:43 PM
If you ever doubted the power of the insurance lobby...

40oz
04-28-2012, 01:10 PM
http://www.ramendays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/eating-while-driving.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2L18a3OMd0

mczerone
04-28-2012, 01:38 PM
They have been doing enforcement of this in California for years. One of the methods they use is riding motorcycles down the center line in heavy traffic and looking into every vehicle they pass.

Edit: They are also checking seat-belts or any other violations they can see.

Yup, "let's add danger to a dangerous situation and give people penalties even if they haven't themselves proved to be dangerous."

But they have a costume and a badge, so I guess its okay that they do it.

(and I doubt they have seatbelts on their motorcycles, right? so why do I need one in the relative safety of the padded cabin of my car?)

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Yup, "let's add danger to a dangerous situation and give people penalties even if they haven't themselves proved to be dangerous."

But they have a costume and a badge, so I guess its okay that they do it.

(and I doubt they have seatbelts on their motorcycles, right? so why do I need one in the relative safety of the padded cabin of my car?)

Just for the record, that was a statement about the facts, not advocacy. I oppose all of these laws and the subsequent enforcement techniques.

As someone else implied, the law should be for demonstrated dangerous driving to be the violation (of course there would be sub-categories there). Exhibiting or engaging in dangerous driving should be the only probable cause for being pulled over. That was pretty much how it worked until the Mommy-Staters got involved, with MADD being the most obvious example.

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2012, 02:03 PM
You don't understand, that's not the point. The federal government does not have the authority to do this. The people of the states never gave them this power.

Exactly, it's not even legal for the Federal Government to impose these laws without following the Constitution and Constitutional processes.

rockerrockstar
04-28-2012, 02:27 PM
As long as I can use my ipod function of my phone in my car via my phone I would not really care that much. I just think that they could bust me thinking I was using hands free when I am actually using it as an ipod interfacing with my stereo.

Automakers are working on making it so you can answer text messages hands free. I would guess it would give you the message in audio by transcribing the text then you answer like a normal hands free phone call and it transcribes it back into text. Just guessing.

The Free Hornet
04-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Would it be a big deal if Australia passed the law and New Zealand had to follow it despite having zero voice in the process?

rockerrockstar
04-28-2012, 02:36 PM
We should make a new law that makes it so that there is constitutional advisers setting in at the house and senate to tell them if they are breaking the constitution when laws are proposed. We need a more proactive approach to protecting our rights. Probably have one advice the Presidents. Then report any violations of laws passed that are in breach to the Supreme Court for review.

keh10
04-28-2012, 02:41 PM
The irony is that I see more cops talking on their cell phones than I see normal drivers. I bet at least 30-40% of cops I pass are talking on their cell phones. Who knows whether it's a personal call or not.

Of course, what they would really like to do is get rid of personal vehicles altogether, ship us all to the cities, and force us to ride to and from a government sponsored job inside a rail car filled with other sheep.

The Free Hornet
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Well-there are some laws that are meat to be national in scope:

Section 8.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

If you want to do it from this perspective, it would require a constitutional amendement. You might consider the "establish post offices and post roads" part (which still ought not accomplish the feat).

Zippyjuan
04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
I like the scary headline that Obama wants to ban Cell phone use- makes it sound like it will be illegal to use a cell phone at any time, any place nation wide. In California where I live it has been illegal to use a cell phone (unless it is hands free) while driving for years now. I have a friend who was badly injured by somebody taking on the phone while driving and ran into him. He was on a bicycle in a bike lane.

QuickZ06
04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
The irony is that I see more cops talking on their cell phones than I see normal drivers. I bet at least 30-40% of cops I pass are talking on their cell phones. Who knows whether it's a personal call or not.

Of course, what they would really like to do is get rid of personal vehicles altogether, ship us all to the cities, and force us to ride to and from a government sponsored job inside a rail car filled with other sheep.

Krispy Kreme ain't gonna order itself.....

QuickZ06
04-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Just so everybody is aware of where this is heading:

So, MADD, ya proud of yourself?

Us "nuts" were right, thirty years ago, when we told you where all this would end, with roadblocks, prison, checkpoints and heavy handed enforcement of many other things besides just "drunk driving".

We were called "paranoid" and "conspiracy theorists" and "fear mongers".

I know, I was there.

I normally don't wish harm on people, but you would not find me feeling remorseful if they were some of the first people thrown in prison for this.

O you're good.....

Anti Federalist
04-28-2012, 03:49 PM
I like the scary headline that Obama wants to ban Cell phone use- makes it sound like it will be illegal to use a cell phone at any time, any place nation wide. In California where I live it has been illegal to use a cell phone (unless it is hands free) while driving for years now. I have a friend who was badly injured by somebody taking on the phone while driving and ran into him. He was on a bicycle in a bike lane.

I hope your friend has recovered.

Are roadblocks and prison sentences a suitable and proper course of action for preventing these sort of accidents in the future?

QueenB4Liberty
04-28-2012, 03:54 PM
As long as I can use my ipod function of my phone in my car via my phone I would not really care that much. I just think that they could bust me thinking I was using hands free when I am actually using it as an ipod interfacing with my stereo.

Automakers are working on making it so you can answer text messages hands free. I would guess it would give you the message in audio by transcribing the text then you answer like a normal hands free phone call and it transcribes it back into text. Just guessing.

That's what I use my phone for, listening to music in the car. They had better not take that away. And I can talk through the speakers in my car.

Lucille
04-28-2012, 04:13 PM
It sounds like the NTSB (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/technology/federal-panel-urges-cellphone-ban-for-drivers.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss) would like to ban you from speaking to anyone--in your car or out--while you're driving:

A complete ban on phone use by drivers would have enormous impact on many car makers that are offering integrated hands-free, voice-activated systems that allow drivers to talk and do other tasks, like calling up their phone directory.

The Alliance for Automobile Manufacturers, a trade group for the industry, said in a statement that it was reviewing the N.T.S.B. recommendations. But it also defended the integrated systems, saying they allow drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road while they remain connected.

“What we do know is that digital technology has created a connected culture in the United States and it’s forever changed our society: consumers always expect to have access to technology; so managing technology is the solution,” the alliance said in a statement.

Ms. Hersman, the chairwoman of the N.T.S.B., said the safety concerns were not just about keeping hands on the wheel and eyes on the road, but also about making sure people focus on the act of driving.

“It’s about cognitive distraction. It’s about not being engaged at the task at hand,” she said, adding: “Lives are being lost in the blink of an eye. You can’t take it back, you can’t have a do over, and you can’t rewind.”

Anti Federalist
04-28-2012, 04:29 PM
That's what I use my phone for, listening to music in the car. They had better not take that away. And I can talk through the speakers in my car.

Count on exactly that happening.

NTSB's ultimate goal is a "sterile cabin" just like the laws in place for planes and ships.

No music, no eating, no phones, no texts, no conversation, no unneccesary adjustments of controls, no nothing.

And compliance will be total, since all the new cars, phones, and electronic devices record, time stamp and track your every move, there will be no denying what you were doing in the event of a wreck.

And if you happen to try to lie to an NTSB investigator or a cop, with this electronic trail behind you, you will have opened yourself up to USC 1001 felony prosecution.

'Merica!

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-29-2012, 12:40 AM
The whole traffic law system is perverted. I've almost crashed my vehicle trying to stop it in time for a red light. The amber light literally only lasts 2 seconds. That's not enough time to slow down my vehicle. If you don't stop in time though, and cross the line, American Traffic Services will mail you a complimentary $140 red light ticket. Even though in many states it has been shown an increase of 1 or 2 seconds to the amber light reduces accidents 90+ percent, cities rather risk people's lives in order to collect more money. Fuck the system. My friend's fiance got killed by a driver who lost control slamming their breaks for a red light.

Paul Or Nothing II
04-29-2012, 03:39 AM
You know who communicates using electronic devices the most in stressful driving situations?

The police.

Good one :D

What next?
I had a friend who got killed by a gun so ban guns
I had a friend who got stabbed with a pen so ban pens
I had a friend who got fat by overeating so regulate what people eat
And so on :rolleyes:

Sure, accidents happen, people make mistakes but that's no reason to abridge freedoms of all those who have NOT violated anyone liberties!

Government's appetite for power is limitless, the more power people are willing to concede, the more powerful & tyrannical government they'll have to bear!

Zippyjuan
04-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Would you then be in the camp which says it should be OK to drive drunk? Both a drunk driver and somebody on the phone are impaired in their ability to respond to any changes in activity on the road and are thus more likely to be involved in accidents.

It is a responsiblity- not a right- to be able to drive. Roads and highways are shared. You are responsible not only for your own safety but also the safety of all others on the road. If the only person who could get hurt if you are in an accident, feel free to do what you want but if you are in an accident you also involve others and make choices for them about their own safety. If you choose behavior which is dangerous you also choose danger for others who may not want to be endangered. You are making a decision for them as well which is infringing on their right to travel safely.

Let us get rid of all government involvement in the use of automobiles. Get rid of speed limits, take down all of the signs and traffic lights and even those darn lines on the road. Let people drive just as they see fit.

I you have your own private road you can do what you want. If you are on a public road you need to follow rules so that it works for everybody.

slamhead
04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Is there anything Obama thinks may be unconstitutional?

pauljmccain
04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
My biggest concern with this is enforcement. How exactly are they going to know whether you were singing along with a song in your car, or talking on a handsfree device? There's no way I am handing my phone over to a cop.

JebSanderson
04-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Is there anything Obama thinks may be unconstitutional?

States enforcing the law?

presence
04-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Would you then be in the camp which says it should be OK to drive drunk?

I AM.

"...government in a free society should not deal in probabilities. The law should deal in actions and actions alone, and only insofar as they damage person or property."

Llewellyn H. Rockwell Jr. (http://mises.org/daily/author/275/Llewellyn-H-Rockwell-Jr)

Liberty,

presence

Anti Federalist
04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Thus is the justification for regulation of every single aspect of your life, because, everything you do has some impact on somebody else.

Would you then be in the camp which says it should be OK to drive drunk? Both a drunk driver and somebody on the phone are impaired in their ability to respond to any changes in activity on the road and are thus more likely to be involved in accidents.

It is a responsiblity- not a right- to be able to drive. Roads and highways are shared. You are responsible not only for your own safety but also the safety of all others on the road. If the only person who could get hurt if you are in an accident, feel free to do what you want but if you are in an accident you also involve others and make choices for them about their own safety. If you choose behavior which is dangerous you also choose danger for others who may not want to be endangered. You are making a decision for them as well which is infringing on their right to travel safely.

Let us get rid of all government involvement in the use of automobiles. Get rid of speed limits, take down all of the signs and traffic lights and even those darn lines on the road. Let people drive just as they see fit.

I you have your own private road you can do what you want. If you are on a public road you need to follow rules so that it works for everybody.

papitosabe
04-29-2012, 03:34 PM
My biggest concern with this is enforcement. How exactly are they going to know whether you were singing along with a song in your car, or talking on a handsfree device? There's no way I am handing my phone over to a cop.

i was thinking the same thing...I would just hide my phone or turn it off...they're gonna search our cars for phones now for the suspicion of talking on a phone?

idiom
04-29-2012, 04:16 PM
No big deal!

It is a BIG DEAL here buddy!

Freedoms that everybody takes for granted will all be gone if we let them dictate every little thing we can and can't do.

I just visited America last week on unavoidable business. It was like visiting a police state. Your freedoms disappeared a long time ago. The beauty of it is you think operating a cell phone while driving is a precious freedom.

Anti Federalist
04-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I just visited America last week on unavoidable business. It was like visiting a police state. Your freedoms disappeared a long time ago. The beauty of it is you think operating a cell phone while driving is a precious freedom.

Like?

No, it's not the action of talking on a cel phone, it's the principle of the thing, the fact that government now thinks it has the right to regulate such a trivial and mundane thing that it is noteworthy.

You don't need to tell me we're toast, I'm well aware of that fact.

idiom
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM
That isnt the point. The point is everyone had to BUY something. Hmmm, I wonder if those that were selling the Hands Free Kits had something to do with that bill going thru? Oh yeah, and hands free doesnt help much for replying to TEXT MESSAGES.

Funny story. I have a Remote Control for my Car Stereo. Old Kenwood. They came with remotes as a way to allow passengers in the back seat to adjust the volume. Anywho, I usually use the Remote for skipping songs or changing the volume. I got pulled over about a month ago for "answering my Remote Control" and nearly got a ticket, except for the fact I didnt have a cell phone on me. Officer wasnt sure what to say and let me off with a "warning" that he didnt want to see me "answering my remote again".

Shift of Focus.

New Zealand passing a National Law is one thing, but each State of the United States is supposed to be treated, from within the States, as its own country. We are not supposed to have "National Laws". We have Federal Laws, which are supposed to only apply when crossing State Lines. For example, what is Legal in one State may be Illegal in another State. Think Pot Laws. The Federal Govt is well within its limitations when it expresses that what happens inside a State's Border is up to the State, but when going between States, it falls into Federal Jurisdiction. So when the Federal Govt comes along and tells California, inside the State of California, that their legalization of Marijuana, for whatever purpose, can go right out the window, they are exceeding the powers granted to them by the US Constitution.

The same thing applies to a Nationwide Cell Phone ban. It is Unconstitutional because it exceeds the powers granted to the Federal Govt (again, between States) in the Constitution. Each State would need to pass its own Law prohibiting talking on a Cell Phone while Driving. It wouldnt be a big deal if each State said we are gonna ban Cell Driving, but for the President to flat out come out and say "Im gonna pass a National Law" is a problem. #1, it exceeds the Presidents Role as the Executive Branch. His job is to Execute Laws, not Legislate them into existence. #2, I already talked about it, the difference between the States and the Federal Govt. Now if that isnt Statist, Authoritarian, and a Usurptation of Power, I dont know what is.

I imagine that technically the FCC could issue a regulation regarding cell phone use. No law needed. Its part of the agreement when you take the cell phone out of its case. Completely voluntary agreement. "You agree not to use this radio transmitter while driving or face prosecution and seizure of your vehicle" etc etc. Makes the constitutionalist happy and even the an-caps on technical grounds. No force involved. No federal law being written.

The police state is already in operation. They don't need to send you to 'FEMA camps'. Rofl. You are living in the camp already. You cell block just has a nice lawn that you have to mow for your yard time.

Zippyjuan
04-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Thus is the justification for regulation of every single aspect of your life, because, everything you do has some impact on somebody else.
We live in a society of people close together. We need to have some rules to allow things to work and people to get along. Do some rules go to far? Certainly.

Just a curious question for you and Presence. If you or a member of your family was to be injured and your car totaled by a drunk driver (or one on their cell phone and not paying attention) would you shrug it off and say "Oh well, at least somebody was out there exercising their freeedom to drive under the influence (or use their phone)!", pay your thousands in bills for it and move on?

teacherone
04-29-2012, 11:50 PM
The police state is already in operation. They don't need to send you to 'FEMA camps'. Rofl. You are living in the camp already. You cell block just has a nice lawn that you have to mow for your yard time.Well that's just frightening.

Anti Federalist
04-30-2012, 12:14 AM
We live in a society of people close together. We need to have some rules to allow things to work and people to get along. Do some rules go to far? Certainly.

Just a curious question for you and Presence. If you or a member of your family was to be injured and your car totaled by a drunk driver (or one on their cell phone and not paying attention) would you shrug it off and say "Oh well, at least somebody was out there exercising their freeedom to drive under the influence (or use their phone)!", pay your thousands in bills for it and move on?

I would sue for damages, and if clearly negligent, punitive damages.

Relatively close family of mine has been affected by murders committed by firearms.

Yet, you will find a no more pro gun person than myself.

The answer is yes.

If we are going to have freedom then we must be able to accept that sometimes that will be dangerous, and that it will sometimes end up in results that we do not want to see.

That person who hypothetically wrecked my car could just as easily been distracted by fiddling with the radio, or eating, or tired, or any one of a million other distractions and detriments.

I do not want to live in a society that has a goal of mitigating risk, through increasingly heavy handed and draconian punishments, to the unachievable goal of zero.

Businesses that try this will go bankrupt, governments that try it will become authoritarian.

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Local rules, not Federal laws.

Lol. Your appeal to emotion is denied. :p

oyarde
04-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Finally , something we can agree on , I , too seek a National Ban on the Obama Administration. Can we come to the middle and work something out ??

jmdrake
04-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm....so things that might distract drivers and hence cause a wreck should be illegal.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZBEfLx-wrGaUlm_-GTpsVCBxRLRkugqINZiufyYyinhuG9BB7

oyarde
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Hmmmm....so things that might distract drivers and hence cause a wreck should be illegal.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZBEfLx-wrGaUlm_-GTpsVCBxRLRkugqINZiufyYyinhuG9BB7 Yep , Cross Country, tennis are cancelled this season .

Victor Grey
04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
State issue, not a federal one.

angelatc
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Would you then be in the camp which says it should be OK to drive drunk? .

i lived in that world. It didn't suck nearly as badly as this world does.

NIU Students for Liberty
04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZBEfLx-wrGaUlm_-GTpsVCBxRLRkugqINZiufyYyinhuG9BB7

The joys of living in a college town during the summer :)

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM

As did I, although driving drunk was never allowed. It you were swerving or speeding and the Police observed this, you were pulled over, and then people went to the drunk tank.

But gone are the days where the adults were drinking beer from an ice chest while driving on a trip with a load of kids in the back of the van with no seat belts. God forbid, how did we all survive?

acptulsa
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Nixon did the 55 mph speed limit not as a federal law, but as a condition for states to receive their own revenues back from the federal fuels tax--just to avoid the question of whether it's Constitutional for the federal government to even address such an issue coming up and taking his little speed limit to the Supreme Court.

Guess Obama's a little more reckless than that. Still comes down to the same thing, though--how is talking on a cell phone while driving in the middle of Nebraska just as dangerous as talking on one while driving in Manhattan?

God forbid, how did we all survive?

Well, we didn't all survive.

Let that be a lesson to you: Behave, be careful and be good or the liberals will use you as an excuse to strip our posterity of their liberty.

And is the loss of three or four complete morons a good enough reason for tyranny? Ah, if only you could get the voters to ask that question at the time the law is being debated...

Anti Federalist
04-30-2012, 12:48 PM

That.

azxd
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Where's the bill that removes this capability ?

presence
04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

I would sue for damages, and if clearly negligent, punitive damages.

Add, I would petition for vehicular assault charges to be filed.

Without violence or theft there is no crime.

This is the meaning of liberty.

Zippy, your phrase "by a drunk driver" says it all. Contrary to what you may believe, it isn't the word "drunk" in that phrase which is most important, it is the word "by".

When I am injured BY someone; anyone, THEN a crime has been committed.

It doesn't matter if you follow the word by with "cell phone user" "drunk" "fat person" "woman" "black" "hispanic" "white supremacist"

BY is the crime.

One person has violated another's liberty. I don't care what GROUP that person belongs to. I care about individual actors.

presence

presence
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM

What were we talking about again?

moostraks
05-01-2012, 06:31 AM
We should make a new law that makes it so that there is constitutional advisers setting in at the house and senate to tell them if they are breaking the constitution when laws are proposed. We need a more proactive approach to protecting our rights. Probably have one advice the Presidents. Then report any violations of laws passed that are in breach to the Supreme Court for review.

now there's a thought...well said! If we are to go about adding laws I think they should all be directed at those in office.

DamianTV
05-01-2012, 03:11 PM
State issue, not a federal one.

Wins Thread!

And just as acptulsa said, it also isnt an excuse to Blackmail States into submission.

Southron
05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Well, Lahood just banned handheld cell phone use in big trucks. I guess the rest of the motoring public is next. I'm just waiting till 4 wheelers have to fill out log books. Maybe that would wake people up...

Anti Federalist
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, Lahood just banned handheld cell phone use in big trucks. I guess the rest of the motoring public is next. I'm just waiting till 4 wheelers have to fill out log books. Maybe that would wake people up...

I keep trying to tell 'em that all this stuff falls on the political "minorities" first, those small, last holdouts of independent living, that are easily squashed.

Truckers, pilots, seamen, ranchers, family farmers, hell, the feds have been treating commercial fishermen like lab rats for 30 years now.

Anti Federalist
05-01-2012, 05:59 PM

Almost forgot...

Paper swindle sheets won't be needed.

The new computer cars track your every move already.