PDA

View Full Version : Critical--Texas NEEDS the vote 4 Ron Paul in order for us to get delegates to Tampa

truthspeaker
04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Unless the rules suddenly changed. Most that I had talked to said that yes, despite our postponed primary, we're still doing 2nd place candidates.

http://www.fairvote.org/delegate-allocation-rules-in-2012-gop#.T5mJd8VxGZR

<<States using proportional representation: Alaska, Hawaii, Kentucky (with a threshold of 15%), Louisiana (with a threshold of 25%), Massachusetts (with a threshold of 15%), Mississippi (with a threshold of 15%), North Carolina, New Hampshire (with a threshold of 10%), New Mexico (with a threshold of 15%), Nevada (based on primary, not caucus), Oregon, Rhode Island (with a threshold of 15%), South Dakota (with a threshold of 20%) and Texas (with a threshold of 20%)>>

That means we must convince the Anti-Romney crowd not to give a "protest vote" to Gingrich or Santorum and not to vote for Romney "just because he'll win anyways".

My suggestion, is if you meet someone anti-Romney convince them to vote RP, at the very least to send conservative delegates to Tampa to protect the platform.

Also, get your independent friends to vote. Texas is an open primary state , and unless you were a delegate for the Democrats or you signed a petition for a minor party presidential candidate, you can vote in the Republican primaries.

The key is TURNOUT. May 29th is an odd day to hold elections. We get voters to the polls, we win. On days like this, we could get voter turnout to be as low as local elections--about 15% versus the usual 45%.

My question is--are delegates determined by popular vote or by a republican method of precincts/counties won? Does anyone know?

We need 20% of the vote for Ron Paul to have delegates.

sailingaway
04-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I would tell them to vote for Ron to block Romney getting 1144 as well. That opens up possibilities of a variety of sorts for conservatives at RNC, not just the platform. They might be hoping Santorum will be nominated. Can't happen if Romney gets 1144.

Only Ron has a chance of getting delegates to block Romney from getting them, so they need to vote for Ron. That is true for EVERY state. The GOP is pulling the same thing it did with McCain, picking up conservative seats as conservative candidates pull out and giving the delegates to their annointed mushy moderate.

Oddone
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
As far as I am aware Texas changed the rules on proportional allocations this year along with many others. You now get something like 1.4 delegates for every 2% of the popular vote. the last 3 delegates are the state chairman etc. Now this is what I heard during precinct training.

Also Texas now is only bound for the first vote at the National convention instead of the 3rd vote.

Edit: Trying to find the rule changes link. I had it before blah.

Link : http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/SREC_Feb29_RulesAsPassed.pdf

sailingaway
04-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I put some new rules links in the TX forum when they came out, don't know if it is in that though.

jersdreams
04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Tuesday 29 May 2012: 152 of Texas's 155 delegates to the Republican National Convention are bound to presidential contenders in today's Texas Presidential Primary. [General Rules for All Conventions and Meetings. Rule 38. Section 8. f.]

From the statewide vote, compute the number of delegates each candidate receives by multiplying that candidate's percentage of the statewide vote by the total number (152) of district and at-large delegates.

Beginning with the candidate receiving the most votes statewide, round up fractional delegates of 0.51% and above to the next whole number. Round down fractional delegates below 0.51%.
Repeat for the next highest vote getter until all 152 delegates are bound.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/TX-R

You need 0.51% of the vote to get a delegate....

Oddone
04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Yea, Texas is basically going fully proportional delegates based on popular vote. So if we got 10% that would be around 20 delegates.

drummergirl
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
National Delegates are selected as follows:

by rule, they are proportional for all candidates receiving at least 20% of the vote.

At the state convention, each congressional district (36 of them) will caucus and choose 3 delegates and 3 alternates. Normally, these are bound according to the vote in the CD, so the votes in the CDs matter as well as the state total.

The remaining delegates are at large and chosen initially by the nominations committee and then approved by the convention in general session. The procedure is pretty much the same as in your county/SD conventions to choose the delegates to state. The members of the nominations committee are one from each state senate district chosen by the SREC rep from that district within 10 days of the county/SD conventions (or by May 1 this year).

So... we need popular votes in Texas, the more the better. I doubt we can get Romney below 20%, but we ought to try.

tremendoustie
04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Yea, Texas is basically going fully proportional delegates based on popular vote. So if we got 10% that would be around 20 delegates.

That's good news.

drummergirl
04-26-2012, 04:28 PM
That's good news.

Actually, if Ron Paul gets 10% he gets zero delegates. 20% is the threshold.

alucard13mmfmj
04-26-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd tell Santorum supporters that voting for Ron would be good because
1) Stops Romney.
2) Brokered Convention = Santorum might have a chance (psh yeah right).
3) Voting for Santorum or Gingrich (since they dropped), would give Romney the win.

Do we have a chance of winning Texas? =3...

tremendoustie
04-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Actually, if Ron Paul gets 10% he gets zero delegates. 20% is the threshold.

That's less good, but still better than winner takes all.

sailingaway
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
That's less good, but still better than winner takes all.

there seem to be some who think the rules have changed and that threshhold no longer applies.