PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich hints at dropping out, could be down to Paul vs. Romney

Tumn1s
04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.dailypaul.com/228483/gingrich-may-drop-this-week-leaving-only-paul-and-romney

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/23/11359666-gin...

"Newt Gingrich hinted he may withdraw from the presidential race if he has a poor showing in the Delaware primary Tuesday – a state where he has been actively campaigning for several weeks.

"I think we need to take a deep look at what we are doing," Gingrich told NBC News in an exclusive interview on Monday. "We will be in North Carolina tomorrow night and we will look and see what the results are."

He acknowledged that he would have to "reassess" his campaign depending on how he fares in Delaware, a winner-take-all state with 17 delegates at stake.

The final battle is in sight. We knew this day would come. Paul VS Romney. LETS GET IT ON!!!

J_White
04-23-2012, 11:21 PM
good to see this. lets hope he gets a drubbing and gets out.

RickyJ
04-23-2012, 11:25 PM
good to see this. lets hope he gets a drubbing and gets out.

I would love to see Romney quit, but it will take something big to get him out. Maybe Ron has some dirt on him that he is saving just for this occasion when it is just Romney and himself left in the race. To see Romney have to bow out now would be great, Ron Paul would then be the ONLY Republican candidate still running!

J_White
04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
lol, that would of course be the best thing to happen, but I dont think Dr.Paul has any dirt on him.

I would love to see Romney quit, but it will take something big to get him out. Maybe Ron has some dirt on him that he is saving just for this occasion when it is just Romney and himself left in the race. To see Romney have to bow out now would be great, Ron Paul would then be the ONLY Republican candidate still running!

TheTexan
04-23-2012, 11:59 PM
lol, that would of course be the best thing to happen, but I dont think Dr.Paul has any dirt on him.

I wouldn't want him to use dirt to win an election anyway.

Natural Citizen
04-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Owch. 17 won't be moonmans magic number today.

Algorres
04-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Paul Vs. Romney in the Texas debate would be awesome.

Aratus
04-24-2012, 12:42 AM
agreed!

jersdreams
04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
This title is slightly misleading....Newt hasn't dropped out yet.

speciallyblend
04-24-2012, 01:07 AM
This title is slightly misleading....Newt hasn't dropped out yet.

got you to click it and then it clarifies right in the post, so good that it is making you click it and then it clarifies. It is called a Headline! Working on our msm titles.

MatWhite
04-24-2012, 02:03 AM

Santorum would simply un-suspend his campaign

I think it has been made pretty clear that there is not going to be a debate. There wasn't going to be one even before Santorum suspended his campaign. So there sure as hell wouldn't be one if he AND Gingrich were gone. And it won't hurt Romney at all in the public's eyes to refuse. They all agreed early on what the debate schedule would be. And it would be virtually unprecedented to have a debate in May.

J_White
04-24-2012, 02:05 AM
if that happens, that would be the day Romney would vanish into thin air !

TomtheTinker
04-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Paul Vs. Romney in the Texas debate would be awesome. Romney would never ever debat I
e RP 1v1..I would bet the farm on that. I would pay to see it.

Sentinelrv
04-24-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm glad this is coming out now before the voting starts. There's a better chance that people will switch their vote to Ron if they know Gingrich is on the verge of dropping out.

jersdreams
04-24-2012, 03:26 AM
got you to click it and then it clarifies right in the post, so good that it is making you click it and then it clarifies. It is called a Headline! Working on our msm titles.

No. It is inaccurate. It said Gingrich to drop out. As a statement. It could say Gingrich nearing the end? Gingrich on his last breath....something of that sort....wouldn't be a lie.

This said "Gingrich to drop out" as in he is dropping out of the race, which is untrue. That is not known. Misleading completely. Shame on op.

rich34
04-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Wow, one hit wonders at work lol...

J_White
04-24-2012, 04:22 AM
thats a good point, but will the media highlight it before tomorrow ? and will enough people jump ship ? lets wait and watch

I'm glad this is coming out now before the voting starts. There's a better chance that people will switch their vote to Ron if they know Gingrich is on the verge of dropping out.

Sentinelrv
04-24-2012, 04:25 AM
thats a good point, but will the media highlight it before tomorrow ? and will enough people jump ship ? lets wait and watch

Well, it's already on the front page of Yahoo.

speciallyblend
04-24-2012, 04:37 AM
No. It is inaccurate. It said Gingrich to drop out. As a statement. It could say Gingrich nearing the end? Gingrich on his last breath....something of that sort....wouldn't be a lie.

This said "Gingrich to drop out" as in he is dropping out of the race, which is untrue. That is not known. Misleading completely. Shame on op.

drama queen, bottom line it is a headline. the point of a headline is to get you to read an article. headlines do not have to be 100% acurate. That is what a headline does. grab your attention to read article. the op is fine and the title was fine. i think you're making a mtn out of a mole hill but you seem to like that.

jersdreams
04-24-2012, 05:13 AM
drama queen, bottom line it is a headline. the point of a headline is to get you to read an article. headlines do not have to be 100% acurate. That is what a headline does. grab your attention to read article. the op is fine and the title was fine. i think you're making a mtn out of a mole hill but you seem to like that.

Okay. So I'll make a post right now saying Ron Paul wins Pennsylvania and Delaware.

speciallyblend
04-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Okay. So I'll make a post right now saying Ron Paul wins Pennsylvania and Delaware.

drama queen

phill4paul
04-24-2012, 05:22 AM

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY6xrl7qWtnF4x8aUYsQGEh4WsnzCX7 2oVze3j5EbqsbyRcKLL

jersdreams
04-24-2012, 05:23 AM
drama queen

Yep. Only because I'm in a sh**y mood.

jersdreams
04-24-2012, 05:23 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY6xrl7qWtnF4x8aUYsQGEh4WsnzCX7 2oVze3j5EbqsbyRcKLL

That guy is hot.

phill4paul
04-24-2012, 05:30 AM
That guy is hot.

LOL.

04-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Well he's out then. Gingrich isn't going to win DE.

Nice timing by the powers that be in the GOP. Keep Gingrich in to block Ron in PA and NY. :mad:

Liberty74
04-24-2012, 05:49 AM
Newt is the only one who has visited DE and on many occasions. I got hit with 4 robocalls from him in the last few days. Two were last night. Nothing being done here by Paul or Romney. The grassroots did blanket DE with Paul signs though.

Many do think Newt will preform well here because according to a co worker, visiting matters.

I am not a delegate but I am on the email list. The GOP here have called an unplanned meeting and have change dates and times for Kent County delegate process. This is the machine that so many want to go up against?

Bruno
04-24-2012, 05:55 AM

+ rep, one of my favorite movie lines, well-played!

skyorbit
04-24-2012, 08:50 AM
So, all we have to do is Beat Gingrich tomorrow (Like we have all last month in every other primary) and Gingrich Drops out? I hope our people turn out.

Miles Dunn
04-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I do not think he is dropping out, I think he is currently campaigning across the state of north carolina at the moment.

RonRules
04-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Expose Romney's election fraud. That's how we win in 2012.

Get copies of the poll tapes, #of absentee ballots at each precincts. Post and PM me the results.

DisabledVet
04-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Gingrich daughter: Campaign to 'reassess' standing (http://news.yahoo.com/gingrich-daughter-campaign-reassess-standing-161251966.html)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Newt Gingrich's daughter said Tuesday that the former House speaker will "reassess" his campaign after the vote in Delaware, potentially setting the stage for his exit from the Republican presidential race.

Jackie Gingrich Cushman said her father's campaign is slimmer but still winning over voters who aren't yet sold on likely GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, who was expected to win contests Tuesday in Delaware and four other states.

Gingrich has hung his comeback hopes on a strong showing in Delaware and has spent considerable time there in recent weeks. He has not won a presidential primary since finishing first in his home state of Georgia on March 6.

Gingrich's daughter said the campaign would re-evaluate its standing after Tuesday's vote.

"He talked about waiting for results and looking to see what happens and then potentially reassess," she told MSNBC on Tuesday about her father, who has been under pressure for some time to drop out of the race.

She hinted, as Gingrich has in recent days, that the race is fluid and that a dramatic shift could come at any time.

"You never know what's going to happen tomorrow," she said.

Despite trailing Romney in convention delegates and fundraising, Gingrich has vowed to campaign until the party's late-summer convention in Florida. He has more than $4.3 million in debt.

Gingrich was keeping a pair of scheduled appearances Tuesday in North Carolina, including the first election night party he has held since February.

But in a televised interview Monday, he nodded to the steep climb facing him.

"I think we need to take a deep look at what we are doing," Gingrich told NBC News. "We will be in North Carolina tomorrow night and we will look and see what the results are."

For his part, Romney planned an election night speech in New Hampshire, where he logged his first victory on the path to the nomination. Aides said his remarks would focus on the general election campaign against President Barack Obama.

Gingrich acknowledged Romney as the front-runner but said he should take care not to appear cocky.

"It is very dangerous for front-runners to start behaving like they are inevitable because the voters might decide that's not so true," Gingrich said in the interview. "Frankly, I think it is a mistake for Romney to kick-off his general election campaign tomorrow in New Hampshire. He has about half the votes he needs to be nominated."

Romney has won 698 of the 1,144 delegates needed to become the nominee, according to a tally by The Associated Press. Gingrich has 137 delegates.

Could this be it? With only 2 left in the race how obvious will it be to the lay person that the MSM is blatantly ignoring Dr. Paul?

CTRattlesnake
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
4.3 million in debt????

DerailingDaTrain
04-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I do not think he is dropping out, I think he is currently campaigning across the state of north carolina at the moment.

I think he's currently occupying a great portion of the Piedmont region.

smithtg
04-24-2012, 02:29 PM

romney would refuse

smithtg
04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
for the other 'half' of the country that hasnt voted in a primary, RP will need to broadcast that HE IS the anti Romney, anti establishment and not an obama clone. This alone will bring *could* bring him victories that will make Romney look like a fool. With the right momentum the MSM may have to stop the ignoring RP, just to have something to talk about and push the liberal agenda. Nothing like smearing Romney with ongoing losses despite being 'the nominee'

04-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Latest is that he won't drop out tonight.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gingrich-spokesman-newt-won-t-drop-tonight-195520061.html

Newt Gingrich hinted this week that his presidential campaign could come to an end soon, but regardless of what happens in Tuesday's five-state primary, Gingrich will not use his election-night speech to drop out of the race, a spokesman for his campaign told Yahoo News.

Gingrich told NBC News this week that he is basing the future of his campaign on his performance in Delaware, where he has invested resources in the primary. If Gingrich does poorly in Delaware, his campaign spokesman R.C. Hammond told Yahoo News, the former House speaker plans to "reassess with supporters" but won't immediately suspend his campaign.

In that scenario, "Gingrich will keep his campaign schedule in North Carolina but reassess with supporters whether or not there is a path forward," Hammond said in an email.

If, however, Mitt Romney scores a "razor thin win" in Delaware, a "conservative coalition" could form around Gingrich, Hammond said.

And if Gingrich wins, the campaign will press forward, full speed ahead.

"A win in Delaware builds financial and grassroots momentum going into North Carolina -- combined with the ABC news report that Winning our Future has $5 million to spend on TV in North Carolina could be the beginning of a chain of wins through DE, NC, KY, WV," Hammond said. "Then into a battle royal in Texas and California."

With Gingrich, anything could happen. A campaign staffer told Yahoo News that the people who work for Gingrich have little indication of what he will ultimately decide to do.

"He's the boss who could wake up tomorrow and decide it's all over," said the aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Here's the full email from Hammond:

Three scenarios:

1. Doomsday -- We do poorly in Delaware, Gingrich will keep his campaign schedule in North Carolina but reassess with supporters whether or not there is a path forward.

2. Middle ground --- a razor thin win for Romney in Delaware could show cracks in the armor and coalesce a conservative coalition of supporters behind Newt.

3. Break in the Dam --- A win in Delaware builds financial and grassroots momentum going into North Carolina -- combined with the ABC news report that Winning our Future has $5 million to spend on TV in North Carolina could be the beginning of a chain of wins through DE, NC, KY, WV...then into a battle royal in Texas and California.