PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart, Victim of Extortion

green73
04-23-2012, 02:08 PM
by Jeffrey Tucker (http://lfb.org/today/wal-mart-victim-of-extortion/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wal-mart-victim-of-extortion)

To do serious business in America requires vast campaign contributions to several layers of elected politicians, an army of lobbyists in Washington, retired government employees on your board and public devotion to the American civic religion. It goes on every year and restarts every election cycle.

Even then, it is hard to know if you are going to get what you pay for.

It’s easier and more efficient in Mexico. You pay bribes directly. The decision maker gets the money. He or she clears the path for you to do the thing. The facilitator takes a slice. People mostly keep their promises. The deal is done.

Apparently bribe paying in the United States is a sign of a healthy, functioning democracy; doing the same thing in Mexico in a more streamlined way is a criminal violation of the standards of good corporate governance.

Here we have the New York Times “exposing” the shocking and presumably ghastly fact that over several years, Wal-Mart paid out some $24 million in payoffs to politicians, bureaucrats and petty gatekeepers in Mexico, all in the hope of employing people who need jobs and bringing goods and services to those who need them.

The breathless and bloviating Times expose is written as if these intrepid reporters were exposing a violent mob engaging in killings to get its way. You never quite get that Wal-Mart would much rather have used the money to expand its business, hire more employees or beef up its inventory. Money used for bribes is a loss to any company, a terrible price of doing business under the state.

In any case, the trove of information was shoveled on the paper by disgruntled employees. And it is hardly unusual. It’s how business is done. Regardless, the Times is out for blood — not from the extortionists who run the system but from the victim, Wal-Mart.

Last count, there were 1,200 news stories about this on the wire. Forbes reports: “Wal-Mart Stores will likely face the wrath of the U.S. Department of Justice for reining in an internal investigation into bribery allegations at its Mexican subsidiary.”

I’m sure that congressional investigations are around the corner, with all the named executives hauled before committees and harassed by regulators.

The bitter irony is that it will transfer more of the Mexican system to the U.S. To survive, Wal-Mart will be forced to spend more than the $12 million-plus it already spends every year on campaign contributions and lobbying.

All that enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) does is increase the amount of domestic corrupt practices. Indeed, that is the way the system is supposed to work. Truly, if the FCPA were actually enforced as written, business around the world would come to a grinding halt.

Under the well-known Mexican system, people called “gestores” specialize in interfacing between business and bureaucracy. They deal with inspectors, permit issuers, environmental bureaucrats, labor officials and zoning regulators. If the gestores can make the deal, they keep 6% as a matter of convention. Even average citizens use these people to stand in line for them — all in an effort to find non-violent means around the bureaucrats.

Given the ridiculous barriers in place, it’s not a terrible system. Corrupt government that you can buy your way around is far better than “good government” that blocks all progress.

The rap on Wal-Mart is that it did far worse. When the company discovered this was going on, it buried it, rather than going public. No kidding. Maybe the company imagined that it would be smeared and attacked?

Bribing officials is illegal in Mexico, just as it is in the United States. But of course, that is just the gloss. Anywhere there is government, there is corruption. That’s the purpose of barriers to enterprise, to extract wealth from those who want to get past them.

Is it worth it? It is either pay or don’t do business, which means lasting poverty. Today, Wal-Mart Mexico employs 209,000 people and is the country’s largest employer. It has provided a fabulous example of the merit of private enterprise in this country, which is finally getting on its feet economically. It has brought food, goods and services to millions of people who otherwise would not have them. It has done more in 10 years for Mexico than all the government bureaucrats have done in one hundred or a thousand years.

For its crime of bringing economic development to this country, it must be smeared, beaten and forced to pay obeisance to the American political class. Why should Mexico enjoy such largess when there are millions of American bureaucrats who need to be part of this gravy train?

You can read thousands of academic papers on the problem of “corruption” in countries around the world and completely miss the central point. The way to eliminate the corruption is to eliminate the barriers to enterprise. Why is this not obvious? Because many people imagine a utopian ideal that does not now and never has existed: good government. They imagine that government rules can be enforced impartially based on science or the public good.

It’s sheer nonsense. As Ludwig von Mises wrote in Human Action in 1966:

“Unfortunately, the office-holders and their staffs are not angelic. They learn very soon that their decisions mean for the businessmen either considerable losses or — sometimes — considerable gains. Certainly, there are also bureaucrats who do not take bribes, but there are others who are anxious to take advantage of any ‘safe’ opportunity of ‘sharing’ with those whom their decisions favor… Corruption is a regular effect of interventionism.”

But here’s the part that upsets me so much. Somehow, private enterprise is always and everywhere blamed for perpetuating it, when the truth is obviously that the blame rests with government. It’s like watching a mugging and blaming the mugged for carrying too much money with him. It’s like telling anyone who has faces the demand “your money or your life” should always choose to give up his life.

The background here is nothing short of anti-capitalist resentment. The elites loathe Wal-Mart for its achievement in putting on display the incredible reality about capitalism that you never hear about in school: It is a system that is maniacally focused on the well-being of society in service of the common man.

Go to Wal-Mart, and you see the workers and peasants not rebelling against the system, but buying stuff that makes their lives better. It looks rather mundane. It’s how civilization is built: one economic exchange at a time. The people who stand in the way don’t deserve a dime, but private enterprise is kind enough to cough it up, anyway. Wal-Mart deserves sympathy, not condemnation.

green73
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry, mods. Could one of you please move this to General Politics? Thanks.

angelatc
04-23-2012, 02:16 PM
An even more bitter irony is that Wal-Mart runs the most honest and ethical vendor system in the country. All the buyers for the major retailers are on the take. If you want to sell your product in their store, you have to wine and dine them extensively. At WalMart, all such meetings are held in buying rooms with cameras. Any contact beyond those parameters are grounds for dismissal.

Additionally, all other retailers charge fees upwards of $10,000 just to put your product on their shelves. Not Walmart. If you have a product, and you can sell it cheap enough to appeal to their target consumer, you're in.,

They're far and away the friendliest chain when it comes to getting your product to market, but you never, ever hear that, because the liberals hate cheap prices and fair wages.

Those bastards in Congress have absolutely no right to decide how other nations conduct business, especially while they're getting rich off from the same damned practices here in the states. The "Pay to play" culture in Washington should be a much bigger concern than Walmart.

Danan
04-23-2012, 03:04 PM
All I know about this subject is what I saw on the CBS-show Ron Paul was on. Am I right that the US-government charges Wallmart for bribery in Mexico?

If so: Why is that the business of the US government? That doesn't even make any sense imho. Not only does it not effect trade in the US but the execution of this law should be quite expensive while it doesn't benefit the US at all.

If that's a huge problem for other countries (like Mexico) why don't they do something against it? Why does the US-government spend money to prevent bribery in Mexico?

green73
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
All I know about this subject is what I saw on the CBS-show Ron Paul was on. Am I right that the US-government charges Wallmart for bribery in Mexico?

If so: Why is that the business of the US government? That doesn't even make any sense imho. Not only does it not effect trade in the US but the execution of this law should be quite expensive while it doesn't benefit the US at all.

If that's a huge problem for other countries (like Mexico) why don't they do something against it? Why does the US-government spend money to prevent bribery in Mexico?

The government is not benevolent.

cheapseats
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
An even more bitter irony is that Wal-Mart runs the most honest and ethical vendor system in the country.

TOTAL HEARSAY, but I have been told that Wal*Mart is so slow to PAY its Vendors (allegedly, there's even a process to get IN the long process to get paid), that people must resort to (and can!) BORROW against their Wal*Mart receivables...so they can pay THEIR bills.

Niiiice, for the lender bank.

And niiiice for Wal*Mart, effectively BORROWING FOR FREE.

cheapseats
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Seems kinda FAIR & BALANCED:

http://www.businessweek.com/debateroom/archives/2007/04/stop_the_bullyi.html

[Stop the Bullying, Wal-Mart
The retailer needs a new business model. It should stop squeezing employees
and suppliers, and charge customers a little more. Pro or con?

PRO: SOMETHING REGISTERS WRONG
When it comes to price, it’s hard to beat Wal-Mart (WMT). But the "everyday low prices" come at a high cost to its employees. A recent report from consumer group Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy found that Wal-Mart employees earn 20% less than the average U.S. retail worker, and some $10,000 less than what the average two-person family requires to meet its basic needs.

Also, the company has fewer than half of its employees enrolled in its health insurance plan, compared with 67% for the average large employer. As a result, taxpayers end up subsidizing the company’s workers. "In California alone, taxpayers pay $32 million annually in medical care for Wal-Mart employees," the report finds.

No wonder the world’s largest retailer has become the target of activist groups around the country, and a punching bag for Presidential candidates Senator Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and former Senator John Edwards.

Its status as a political and social target is costing Wal-Mart millions. To clean up its image, it launched a multimillion-dollar advertising campaign in January, telling viewers about the positive characteristics of the company and its workers. It has also hired the powerful public-relations firm Edelman and several political consultants to help polish its image.

One of the consultants, Leslie Dach, a former media adviser to President Bill Clinton, was hired for $3 million in stock, as well as options on 168,805 shares that vest over the next five years.

At the same time, the political attacks on Wal-Mart seem to have unleashed paranoia within the company, which has beefed up its security operations, hiring former senior FBI and CIA officials to watch workers and those who maintain contact with the company. All this usurps funds that could go to workers’ salaries or benefits instead.

These new developments have come at a time when "everyday low prices" isn’t the growth model that Wal-Mart necessarily wants to pursue long term. In recent years, many of its competitors have grown just as efficient in upping profits, and there’s nothing unusual about low prices anymore. No wonder that in the past year Wal-Mart has tried luring upscale customers with a hip fashion line called Metro 7 and has upped the organic food offerings in its stores.

Wal-Mart says it wants to offer more choices to customers at affordable prices. However, its motivation to sell more organic food and fashionable apparel is the desire for the higher margins these goods bring. Since it’s already charging customers more, isn’t it about time that Wal-Mart stopped squeezing its employees?

CON: DON’T MESS WITH SUCCESS
Although it has become the popular symbol of capitalism’s ills, Wal-Mart (WMT) has a business model that works quite well. Its fanatical focus on eradicating costs aids the largest number of people—the world’s shoppers—while allowing a simple redress for others, who can take their business or labor elsewhere.

Moreover, it is supremely haughty to suggest Wal-Mart’s customers could all just pony up a little extra cash so the lives of others could suddenly improve. Many people cannot afford an extra few bucks here or there, especially when it comes to buying staples.

Last fall, BusinessWeek.com quoted a spokesman for WakeupWalMart.com, a group harshly critical of the company, who said the retailer "has the responsibility to improve the lives of its workers." Actually, in the U.S., most would likely agree that we as individuals are tasked with improving our own lives, if their current state displeases us.

Make no mistake, the company’s business model mandates adherence to a lean cost structure. Wal-Mart has been known to hector manufacturers and distributors in hopes of paying less, and, undeniably, doesn’t always sell the highest-premium product in a particular merchandising category.

But is that such a bad thing? If Wal-Mart drives out costs, it forces suppliers to also narrow costs. Isn’t battling cost bloat one of the hallmarks of running a successful business? Who is to say that Wal-Mart isn’t improving the management of those companies with which it does business?

Also, it is true, no Wal-Mart clerk has ever gotten wealthy from his or her salary. Does anyone expect to do so? Still, company defenders have an extensive litany of persuasive stats: Wal-Mart’s average wage amounts to nearly $10 per hour, its workers pay roughly $1 per day for medical insurance, and the company employs more than 1.3 million Americans.

And the retailer has just begun boosting hourly compensation through bonuses—last month it gave $530 million to nearly 80% of its 1.04 million hourly workers.

Finally, let’s take a look from a different perspective: In a society geared toward hyper-consumption and greed, perhaps the real issue isn’t Wal-Mart’s business plan. Maybe it’s us.

Opinions expressed in the above Debate Room essays are for the sake of argument and do not necessarily reflect the views of BusinessWeek, BusinessWeek.com, or The McGraw-Hill Companies.

cheapseats
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
EVERYONE is being extorted by The Extortioners, INCLUDING Working Poor.

Coming to Wal*Mart's defense is whatcha call TAKING THE WRONG SIDE.

If yer lookin' to win the General, that is.

Danan
04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
The government is not benevolent.

Yeah but I doubt that this is beneficial even to itself. A criminal proceeding of this size is really expensive. And even if there is a huge fine I doubt that this would pay for it. Or be worth the effort.

Also I would expect governments to <b>encourage</b> bribery of domestic companies in foreign countries or at least ignore it since they don't shy away of every other form of trade war (currency manipulation, tarifs, subsidies).

Danan
04-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Yeah because without Wallmart-jobs these guys would be better off, wouldn't they?

Unless I don't get what you said, this sounds like stuff from an Obama-board. Ron Paul likes Walmart and he is aware of the salaries.

If he wanted to say stuff just to win elections, he wouldn't do what he does. No way that he will condemn voluntary working contracts just to get a view votes.

What's next? Demand a higher minimum wage?

angelatc
04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
TOTAL HEARSAY, but I have been told that Wal*Mart is so slow to PAY its Vendors (allegedly, there's even a process to get IN the long process to get paid), that people must resort to (and can!) BORROW against their Wal*Mart receivables...so they can pay THEIR bills.

Niiiice, for the lender bank.

And niiiice for Wal*Mart, effectively BORROWING FOR FREE.

I've always heard that they are diligent about paying in the discount period because they want the discount. And all vendors charge interest on late payments, so it would be very much unlike the ever-frugal WalMart to increase its bottom line by incurring 24% APR borrowing costs.

angelatc
04-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah because without Wallmart-jobs these guys would be better off, wouldn't they?

Unless I don't get what you said, this sounds like stuff from an Obama-board. Ron Paul likes Walmart and he is aware of the salaries.

YOu get a lot of that around here, from college kids who have been indoctrinated to hate WalMart. My sister-in-law once left JC Penneys to work at WalMart because the money and benefits were better. (She's got her Masters in Health Care Admin now, so that was a few years ago, but still....)

But even before the stupid liberals infested the boards, the libertarians harvested plenty of WalMart hate because WalMart gets special favors from the government. (They're certainly not the only retailer who does that, but that doesn't seem to matter for reasons that I've never been able to fathom.)

When raising kids, I never hated the whiny brats that wheedled and cajoled endless favors from their parents. I always held that it was the parents' fault for giving away the favors. I look at government the same way - they're not supposed to be passing out favors, but they do. And knowing that they do, I certainly don't blame WalMart for asking for them.

angelatc
04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Nonsense. Conservatives don't hate WalMart.

angelatc
04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah but I doubt that this is beneficial even to itself. A criminal proceeding of this size is really expensive. And even if there is a huge fine I doubt that this would pay for it. Or be worth the effort.

Also I would expect governments to <b>encourage</b> bribery of domestic companies in foreign countries or at least ignore it since they don't shy away of every other form of trade war (currency manipulation, tarifs, subsidies).

I remember a long time ago in a life far far away, I was taking some securities law classes. We were in the segment of discussing insider trading, and the instructor told us that it's not illegal everywhere. I'm not an expert in international securities law, so take this with a grain of salt, but he said that there were international markets where insider trading was the norm - that's how they did business, and they couldn't imagine how any trading would get done without it.

I look at this in much the same way. If bribery and extortion in Mexico is the way they do business, then that's just that.

Zippyjuan
04-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Walmart is somehow a victim because they pay millions to get around regulations that others without that kind of money have to face? Is that a way to fair competition? They are using their size and money to leverage even more advantages against competition.

Kluge
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Walmart is somehow a victim because they pay millions to get around regulations that others without that kind of money have to face? Is that a way to fair competition? They are using their size and money to leverage even more advantages against competition.

That's how it works when you have a pseudo-free market that's actually more accurately described as crony capitalism. They have the millions to pay, others don't. Life isn't fair.

These "issues" that people have with WalMart, whether it's in Mexico or the US are symptoms of bad political/economic systems, not the cause.

The good news is that nobody's forcing anyone to buy from them if they don't want to.

heavenlyboy34
04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
The good news is that nobody's forcing anyone to buy from them if they don't want to.
not yet.... but people used to be able to say that about car insurance (and most likely health insurance in the future) too.

TheTexan
04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
My only problem with wal-mart is the lines are too long. 15 person lines, fuck that, I'll pay 10% more and get checked out instantly at Tom Thumb.

Kluge
04-23-2012, 07:36 PM
not yet.... but people used to be able to say that about car insurance (and most likely health insurance in the future) too.

In a crony capitalist system, anything could happen that lines the pockets of some opportunistic politician. It's ultimately the fault of American voters.

Ender
04-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Oh. Boo. Hoo.

Walmart is always being chased down because it refuses to unionize. The party bosses want to take it down so they grab anything they can get a hold of and use it against Walmart.

Walmart doesn't stop you from competing.

Anti Federalist
04-23-2012, 09:24 PM

I consider myself to be pretty "conservative" by standard definitions.

I loathe Wal Marx and their business practices, for many different reasons.

heavenlyboy34
04-23-2012, 09:30 PM
In a crony capitalist system, anything could happen that lines the pockets of some opportunistic politician. It's ultimately the fault of American voters.
lolz :D Blaming the victim is very easy. But in a constitutional democracy/republic dealy-o, not so logical. Many voters are to blame, of course, but the system isn't designed to work in the favor of honest people. It was built by and for criminals.

Kluge
04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
lolz :D Blaming the victim is very easy. But in a constitutional democracy/republic dealy-o, not so logical. Many voters are to blame, of course, but the system isn't designed to work in the favor of honest people. It was built by and for criminals.

Victim, my ass. People are capable of educating themselves.

The voters are to blame, the criminals took advantage of dumbasses.

heavenlyboy34
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh. Boo. Hoo.

Walmart is always being chased down because it refuses to unionize. The party bosses want to take it down so they grab anything they can get a hold of and use it against Walmart.

Walmart doesn't stop you from competing.
No, but they do use their influence peddling to make it very difficult to compete. I'm all for competition (I'm sure some people would be mad if they found I do the vast majority of my shopping on Amazon, etc instead of local stores that charge way too much), but cronyism is a different thing. I actually like the same things about WalMart that Tucker does. (I can only get my favorite salad dressing at a decent price there)

heavenlyboy34
04-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Victim, my ass. People are capable of educating themselves.

The voters are to blame, the criminals took advantage of dumbasses.
And a woman is to be blamed for being raped. :rolleyes: Come on, now. Serious competitors to the regime typically can't even afford to get on the ballot. Your Constitution is supposed to keep the bad people in check and teh people are supposed to be given a choice. The whole thing is built on blind faith in mortals-human worship. (IOW, a cult) How's that working out for ya? ;)

ETA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchPDhk
skip to 1:32 for the good stuff. :) :D

cheapseats
04-23-2012, 10:05 PM

NOT nonsense.

Conservatives don't hate WAR 4 PROFIT.

Conservatives don't have INCARCERATION 4 PROFIT.

Conservatives don't hate INSIDER TRADING.

Conservatives don't hate ADULTERY.

Conservatives don't hate MONEY LAUNDERING.

Conservatives don't hate CORRUPTION IN OFFICE.

Conservatives don't hate INJUSTICE.

Conservatives don't hate RACKETEERING.

Conservatives don't hate PEDOPHILIA.

Conservatives don't hate SECRET SOCIETIES.

Conservatives don't hate DEBT.

I could literally go on and on.

Conservatives don't hate CORPORATE WELFARE.

Conservatives don't hate CRONYISM.

Conservatives don't hate NEPOTISM.

Conservatives don't hate CAMPAIGNING 4 PROFIT.

Conservatives don't hate SWEAT SHOPS.

Conservatives don't hate GEORGE BUSH.

Conservatives don't hate DICK CHENEY.

Conservatives don't hate DONALD RUMSFELD.

Conservatives don't hate HYPOCRISY.

Conservatives don't hate BABY BROKERING.

Conservatives don't hate CHILD LABOR.

Conservatives don't hate CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION.

Conservatives don't hate MARKET MANIPULATION.

Conservatives don't hate LYING.

Conservatives don't hate PATRIOT ACT.

Conservatives don't hate CENSORSHIP.

Conservatives don't hate SUPERFICIAL DEBATES.

Conservatives don't hate RON PAUL BLACKOUT.