PDA

View Full Version : Free State Project finds opportunity and resistance in New Hampshire

Keith and stuff
04-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I quoted around half the article. Feel free to read the whole article and the comments if you want. The article features a lot of links. I like how I am a buggy-man for what is wrong with New Hampshire (a shrinking state government.) I love the author's note at the bottom of the article :)

Free State Project finds opportunity and resistance in New Hampshire
Manchester Independent Examiner
Kevin Kervick
http://www.examiner.com/article/free-state-project-shakes-up-new-hampshire

Several months ago, at a meeting of human services professionals in Concord, a lobbyist addressed the group to warn them about 'Libertarians' whom he believed were working against the interests of the guild. The major concern: these groups were advocating spending cuts in Concord that would affect their bottom lines.

Later in the meeting, a woman approached this reporter (who happens to also be a human services professional) to issue a warning about those 'scary' Free State people that were coming into New Hampshire to take over the State. She hoped to capitalize on a backlash against the libertarian energy that was currently driving the political agenda in Concord.

Their mission is clear. Liberty activists, who have been marginalized in other parts of the United States, are looking for a home. They wish to build a community that embodies libertarian principles, namely - the right to be left alone, and the opportunity to live intentionally and responsibly with limited intrusion from government. After considerable research, they decided New Hampshire would be the best place to build such a community, so they are coming here.

Mexican immigrants are experiencing discrimination throughout the United States because local people in Southern and Western States, especially, are concerned that the Mexicans are taking over.

In suburbs all across America, African-American migration from cities has created animosity from established white people who were afraid the blacks would not assimilate into their communities.

It is human nature that local people are loath to give up what they have, and they often resist attemps by newcomers to make changes. Change is always difficult.

In the United States people are free to live where they want and to exercise their freedom of speech and freedom to organize in the way they choose. The Free State Project chose to establish itself in New Hampshire for many reasons, primary of which is that New Hampshire is already the freest state in the nation on many objective criteria.

Instead of protecting their turf and treating newcomers with suspicion, established New Hampshire residents might try to get to know some Free Staters. They might discover that there is more common ground than they imagined. An inviting attitude can go a long way toward building bridges for a better community.

Author’s Note: This is the first in a series of articles about the Free State Project in New Hampshire. I have been a New Hampshire resident for just over two years, and in that time I have met many people who came to New Hampshire because they signed the Free State Project Statement of Intent. Some of them have become friends. While I am not a Free Stater myself, I do support their desire to build a freer, more neighborly, and more responsible society.