PDA

View Full Version : How well can we trust these so-called "Liberty Candidates"?

lib3rtarian
04-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Hear me out here. I grew up mistrusting politicians. I trusted no politician - not one. The only one I trusted is Ron Paul - there is an aura of honesty and integrity about him. He is not a smooth speaker. He stumbles and stutters - but what he says is from the heart and is pure gold. He isn't speaking prepared lines. This election cycle has seen a large number of folks running all over the country claiming to be "Liberty Candidates". The skeptic inside me says that a large portion of them are exploiting the love we have for Paul. The skeptic inside me says that a large portion of them after winning will sell out (or in their words "compromise").

I was reading this (http://www.postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1493961) and the picture of Kurt Bills cozying up to Michele Bachmann made me uneasy.

Also this portion:

"Every once in a while a delegate will ask me: 'Are you a Reagan Republican or a Ron Paul Republican?'" Bills said. "My answer is I'm a Kurt Bills Republican."

Really? Ask any neo-con and they will proudly tell you that he/she is a Reagan Republican. Is Bills too ashamed to admit that he is a Ron Paul Republican?

The skeptic inside me fears that the Liberty movement would be co-opted by the Establishment just like the Tea Party movement was. If I am wrong, I will be very pleased, but I don't think I will be wrong.

P.S: I do trust Glen Bradley, but that's because I got a chance to personally know him.

GeorgiaAvenger
04-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Kurt Bills probably isn't exactly like Ron Paul. I'd support him because he believes in Austrian economics.

As for talking to Bachmann, who cares? I honestly don't think she is that bad, and if Paul wasn't running I would have had to support her. Ron Paul endorsed Bachmann and had an event with her a couple of years ago.

Massachusetts
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM
There's no need to be cynical about those trying to spread the message of liberty. We don't need to shove them all into one group as Paul disciples or nothing. There's a lot of candidates running for office all over the country who may not be perfect and Ron Paul clones, but if the core of their beliefs is sensible, then trust the individual candidates you want to trust and don't trust those who you are skeptical of.

Adrock
04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I understand being skeptical, it is healthy. I also think that while we try to push for the best liberty candidate possible, we also need to look for upgrades everywhere we can in the mean time. For example, I have no illusions of Jeff Flake being a RP Republican. I do though think he is a hell of an upgrade when compared to Kyl. Am I going all out for him? No. Will I vote for him and maybe throw some scratch his way in the general? Yes. Would I support someone better against him? Definitely.