PDA

View Full Version : How to Make Sense of the Delegate Process

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 08:37 AM
For those who have admitted not understanding this mess...

1. The Republican National Committee (RNC) calls a convention.

2. The RNC party rules determine how many delegates each state and territory gets.

3. There are two types of delegates for each state:

A) District Delegates

Three delegates to the national convention are elected from each congressional district in the United States. They are either selected by the primary vote in that district, or are selected at district-level party conventions/caucuses.
B) At-Large Delegates

i) The Basic 10

Each state is automatically awarded 10 delegates, who are either determined by the aggregate vote of the state primary, or selected at the state-level party convention.
ii) The "Establishment" Delegates

These three seats automatically go to the each state's Party Chairman, National Committeeman, and National Committeewoman.
iii) Bonus Delegates

If a State meets the requirement, they are awarded additional delegates who are selected either by the aggregate vote of the state primary, or selected at the state-level party convention:
a) For period 01 Jan 2004 - 31 Dec 2007:

1) Electoral College Vote in 2004 - If state's electoral votes were awarded to the GOP candidate, then state receives the following: the state's current Electoral College vote count times 0.6, plus 4.5, rounded up to the next whole integer.
2) Governor - One additional delegate if a GOP member was elected governor; limit 1 point
3) U.S. House membership - One additional delegate if majority of state's U.S. House seats were controlled by GOP; limit 1 point
4) State Legislature (One Chamber): One additional delegate if one of the chambers was controlled by the GOP; limit 1 point
5) State Legislature (All Chambers): One additional delegate if all chambers were controlled by the GOP; limit 1 point
b) For Period 01 Jan 2002 - 31 Dec 2006:

U.S. Senate - One additional delegate if GOP member was elected U.S. Senator; limit 2 points
4. Federal Territories

A) American Samoa: 3 establishment delegates, 6 at-large
B) District of Columbia: 3 establishment delegates, 16 at-large
C) Guam: 3 establishment delegates, 6 at-large
D) Northern Mariana Islands: 3 establishment delegates, 6 at-large
E) Puerto Rico: 3 establishment delegates, 20 at-large
F) U.S. Virgin Islands: 3 establishment delegates, 6 at-large

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Once the RNC calls the national convention, the state party will pick one of the following methods of selecting their delegates:

1) Winner-Takes-All

a) The candidate with the most votes in a district takes all three district delegates
b) The candidate having the most votes state wide takes all the at-large delegates
2) Proportionality

The state applies a formula for determining how to divide the 3 district delegates within each district, and applies a similar formula to divide the at-large delegates according to the state vote.
3) Mixture of the two

Although highly unlikely to occur, some states may mix the two systems, whether WTA at District and Proportional at State or vice versa.

The state party the will pick one of the following formats to select their delegates:

1) Caucus/Convention

The State party will call a state convention for the selection of the at-large delegates. The will also instruct the districts to hold district conventions prior to the state convention to elect the district delegates. There may be further subdivisions, such as county and precinct-level caucuses/conventions as well, such as in Iowa.
2) Primary

Candidate names are placed on the ballot and primary-eligible voters select the candidate they want.
3) Mixture of the two

Again, highly unlikely, but some states may employ both formats, picking one format for the district delegates and the other for at-large delegates

Finally, the state party's rules or state laws may require delegates to be bound to particular candidates:
1) Delegates bound

Delegates to the national convention are required to vote for a particular presidential candidate as determined by primary results, caucus results, or individual commitment to a specified candidate in conformity with state party rules or state law. State party rules or state laws determine the number of ballots where the delegates are bound to support a particular candidate. State party rules or state laws may require delegates to be bound to support a particular candidate until the candidate releases his or her delegates.
2) Delegates not bound

Delegates to the national convention are not required to vote for any presidential candidate and may vote for any candidate whom they choose.

Good resource for a general idea of your state's process: http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm

castor
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
"1) Delegates bound
Delegates to the national convention are required to vote for a particular presidential candidate as determined by primary results, caucus results, or individual commitment to a specified candidate in conformity with state party rules or state law. State party rules or state laws determine the number of ballots where the delegates are bound to support a particular candidate. State party rules or state laws may require delegates to be bound to support a particular candidate until the candidate releases his or her delegates."

So there is a chance that even if I am a delegate, I will not be able to vote for Ron Paul?

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 10:36 AM
So there is a chance that even if I am a delegate, I will not be able to vote for Ron Paul?

No. If they require that delegates be bound, they usually have you pledge to your candidate before the election; that way, the voters know full well who they are getting when they vote either for you or for Dr Paul.

castor
11-15-2007, 10:40 AM
And what happens if you say you like Romney, but then later on change your mind and vote Ron Paul against the way the state voted?

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
And what happens if you say you like Romney, but then later on change your mind and vote Ron Paul against the way the state voted?

For that case, there are typically rules that allow the leader of your state delegation to overturn your vote and cast it as your state law requires it to be cast.

And remember: 3 of the delegates will always be the head of your State's party, the State party's national committeman, and the State party's national committeewoman. Chances are it'll be one of them that is your delegation leader.

castor
11-15-2007, 10:51 AM
So why even have bound delegates? Why not just give the majority vote for the district an automatic vote?

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 10:53 AM
So why even have bound delegates? Why not just give the majority vote for the district an automatic vote?

Because the candidate you are bound to might not have the votes to secure the nomination at the convention on the first ballot. By having bound delegates, the candidate knows exactly how many votes he has and can count on until a certain number of convention votes take place.

castor
11-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Hmm ... so how is a delegate elected? Do they have to answer questions, give speeches or do they just need to look pretty? lol

Hook
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM
B) At-Large Delegates

i) The Basic 10

Each state is automatically awarded 10 delegates, who are either determined by the aggregate vote of the state primary, or selected at the state-level party convention.

So again, when you say the 10 delegates are selected by who wins the primary, you are saying that when Ron wins the primary, it automatically selects the delegates that Ron has already chosen as his delegate representatives, right? In which case even if they become unbound, they will still vote for Dr. Paul because they have already pledged alligence to Dr. Paul.

In that case, do the Paul delegate candidates have to already be registered as such with the state GOP? Or can it just be anyone?

kevman657
11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
This is so stupid. This is the whole problem with our country. We don't vote on anything, people always act like voters are the reason America is messed up. With corrupt systems like this one, primary votes might not even matter.

I mean, what is the point of voting if the "unbound" delegate can vote for whoever he wants? Why are we even pushing voting at all then? Could we win if we got the lowest number of votes in each state, but had the most unbound delegates?

Btw, thank you for answering everyone's questions about this. They should spend more time teaching these things in school than all these worthless elective classes.

goldismoney
11-15-2007, 06:08 PM
To be specific, I am strongly considering running as a delagate in Clark County, NV. Do I need to let the Clark County GOP know beforehand that I intend to run or just announce this at the January 19 precinct caucus?

Any suggestions as to how to prepare for the precinct caucus (ie., bring handouts, talking points, signs, etc.)?

If anyone has previously attended the Clark County precinct caucus (or any precinct caucus for that matter), is there anything you think would be beneficial for me to know beforehand?

Thanks in advance!

nathanielyao
11-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info foo...

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 09:58 PM
So again, when you say the 10 delegates are selected by who wins the primary, you are saying that when Ron wins the primary, it automatically selects the delegates that Ron has already chosen as his delegate representatives, right? In which case even if they become unbound, they will still vote for Dr. Paul because they have already pledged alligence to Dr. Paul.

In that case, do the Paul delegate candidates have to already be registered as such with the state GOP? Or can it just be anyone?

No. It depends entirely on the method and format of the election.

If candidates are required to be bound, it only selects delegates who have filed a affidavit with their state elections office, or with the party, swearing that they will vote for Dr Paul so long as they are bound. The only way I can see it being necessary for Dr Paul to pick delegates is if more people swear to vote for him than there are delegates awarded. And this assumes that the Chairman of the State Party doesn't doesn't just pick them himself.

Hook
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
No. It depends entirely on the method and format of the election.

If candidates are required to be bound, it only selects delegates who have filed a affidavit with their state elections office, or with the party, swearing that they will vote for Dr Paul so long as they are bound. The only way I can see it being necessary for Dr Paul to pick delegates is if more people swear to vote for him than there are delegates awarded. And this assumes that the Chairman of the State Party doesn't doesn't just pick them himself.

So you would have to register as a potential national delegate with the party, which would add you to the State pool of delegates. The pool is much larger than the actual number of delegates going to the National Convention. And you would be selected to actualy go the the National Convention if you pledged to the candidate that won the primary?

Is this what Bradley is talking about when he mentions the D.C. Ron Paul slate of delegates?

Hook
11-16-2007, 09:34 AM
From Bradley in another thread:

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly. I'm not an expert in Utah rules, but this is how it generally works: Dr. Paul will choose whom he wants to represent him on his slate of delegate candidates and alternate delegate candidates which he will file with the state Secretary of State (DC: Board of Elections and Ethics). There are no RNC rules limiting those people as from the state conventions (nor, offhand, do I know of any state rules as such). The superdelegates are not elected but are delegates ex officio (current Republican Governor, Senator, etc.). There are delegate elected by CD and AL that will make up Dr. Paul's slate.

So this slate of potential delegates that represent Dr. Paul only have to be members of the GOP, and have registered as potential delegates with the Party?
If so, does it cost money to register with the party as a potential delegate? Or can Dr. Paul's slate just consist of people not even members of the Party?

Bradley in DC
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM
So this slate of potential delegates that represent Dr. Paul only have to be members of the GOP, and have registered as potential delegates with the Party?

"Potential delegates" is not a proper term here and causes more confusion than it helps. Dr. Paul (and all of the presidential candidates) will file a slate of "delegate candidates" (and alternates) in each state. When we vote in the primaries, we are NOT voting directly for Dr. Paul but for his slate "delegate candidates" (literally candidates to be delegates to the national nominating convention) who are being selected against competing slates of "delegate candidates" for other presidential candidates.

If so, does it cost money to register with the party as a potential delegate? Or can Dr. Paul's slate just consist of people not even members of the Party?

Rules on these questions vary considerably by state. Caucus states usually have a caucus system where delegates to state conventions, eg, chose the delegates to the national convention. In primary states, there is usually either a registration fee or a signature requirement where the campaigns have to circulate petitions to gather signatures to put the slate of delegate candidates on the ballot. Who can sign those petitions and who can be on the slate are determined by state law (and vary considerably).

Cyclone
11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Can someone explain Arizona rules? We don't get automatic delegates. We have to vote for delegates and only PCs can do that. Theoretically, Ron Paul could end up with no delegates in AZ. True? And when do the PCs vote? And how do they know who they are voting for will be representing?

foofighter20x
11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Can someone explain Arizona rules? We don't get automatic delegates. We have to vote for delegates and only PCs can do that. Theoretically, Ron Paul could end up with no delegates in AZ. True? And when do the PCs vote? And how do they know who they are voting for will be representing?

Go ask in the AZ forum! :p

Or check out what you can find at the link in my sig...

ValidusCustodiae
11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Okay, I am a North Carolina native, and I have been to our state GOP website a few times. Having read some of the writings of the state chairman, I must say I doubt she would ever cast her vote for Ron Paul. She is the pro-war liberal bashing type, or at least that's what it seems like to me. Anyway, I want to try to help by becoming a delegate, but I am not sure that I can really afford to take any trips that may be necessary (such as to a national convention).

VoteRonPaul2008
11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
FOR THOSE OF YOU who are interested in becoming delegates this site lists the process step by step for each stated