PDA

View Full Version : I Think It's Time for the Secret Service

walt
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Due to some of the recent unsettling threads and articles out there that cross an uncomfortable line (I won't dignify them by linking or mentioning them by name but you know what they are) from those who fight against and attack Dr. Paul, I think it's time to have a serious discussion amongst us about the need for him to have Secret Service protection as soon as possible.

We know one thing almost certainly, Dr. Paul would likely never ask for it himself. I don't want to hear any crazy conspiracy theories about the Secret Service, I've been with them with other candidates before and I'll take my chances with them over a random citizen to trust any day of the week. You have to remember that these folks put their lives on the line everyday for our freedom and liberty.

And yes, I know full well that Secret Serivce protection isn't in the Constitution. But Congress has passed laws.
http://www.secretservice.gov/history.shtml
1906 Congress passed Sundry Civil Expenses Act for 1907 that provided funds for Presidential protection by the Secret Service.

1913 Congress authorized permanent protection of the president and the statutory authorization for president-elect protection.

1917 Congress authorized permanent protection of the president's immediate family and made "threats" directed toward the president a federal violation.

1951 Congress enacted legislation that permanently authorized Secret Service protection of the president, his immediate family, the president-elect, and the vice president, if he wishes. (Public Law - 82-79).

1968 As a result of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination, Congress authorized protection of major presidential and vice presidential candidates and nominees. (Public Law 90-331). Congress also authorized protection of widows of presidents until death, or remarriage, and their children until age 16.

So I put the issue into your hands. If you wish to do nothing, that is certainly your right and I respect your decision. However, I think a short email to them stating that you are a supporter and concerned due to the links to the relevant articles of concern would get the issue onto their radar sooner rather than later. Please be polite. Please be brief. Thank you for your consideration of this delicate issue.
http://www.secretservice.gov/contact.shtml

RP4ME
11-15-2007, 08:38 AM
is the SS trustworthy?

Conza88
11-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Lol, theres a specific reason they don't refer to it as the SS.
[Enter: Nazi Germany...] / OR modern day Bush Administration!:(

Sematary
11-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the Secret Service is already with him.
When I was at the Philly Rally I a gentleman walking around with that earbud thing and looking real serious and when I attempted to speak to him, he ignored me. I'm thinking either Secret Service or private security.

JMann
11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Didn't the SS kill JFK? On no, my bad the was Oswald.

Honestly for the time being I would prefer private security.

ConstitutionGal
11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
I hereby put my name in the hat to be a volunteer for the job. I have a carry permit and know how to use it and would lay down my life to protect Dr. Paul in a heartbeat!

walt
11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I hereby put my name in the hat to be a volunteer for the job. I have a carry permit and know how to use it and would lay down my life to protect Dr. Paul in a heartbeat!

Interesting and creative ideas. :)

Thom1776
11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Ron Paul does not want taxpayer funded protection. He has and will continue to use private security.

There is nothing magical about the Secret Service, they are human beings just like the rest of us.

AlexMerced
11-15-2007, 09:33 AM
I'll take a bullet for Paul, we can't let hope die, if the unlikly happens and he doesn't get the nod (become delegates people), then we should freeze him while we mobilize things for the election.

RPFTW!
11-15-2007, 09:35 AM
No way I would trust the Secret Service!

ConstitutionGal
11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
No way I would trust the Secret Service!

Not since 1963 anyway.....also, let's not forget their exemplary service when Ronald Reagan and George Wallace were both shot :mad:

Pride
11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
I do not trust the secret service and I would not like to see them protecting Ron Paul, especially with the current police state.

Ron needs to be extremely careful when managing his security.

AlexMerced
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
We just need a force field, anyone got a force field?

tmg19103
11-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I think he should hire his own private security - recruit some guys who did high profile security in Iraq. Those guys were protecting officials who had people trying to assasinate them every day so they really know what they are doing.

The SS is not the way to go. I don't trust them, and I could see them assigning their least competent people to RP and perhaps even a plant to get campaign info..

RPFTW!
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I think he should hire his own private security - recruit some guys who did high profile security in Iraq. Those guys were protecting officials who had people trying to assasinate them every day so they really know what they are doing.

The SS is not the way to go. I don't trust them, and I could see them assigning their least competent people to RP and perhaps even a plant to get campaign info..

But they've also been in the system for too long and have been exposed to brain damaging vaccines and depleted uranium.

AlexMerced
11-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Jesse Ventura should be his bodygaurd, him and arnold, anyone else from Predator we should ask for the team.

RPFTW!
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Jesse Ventura should be his bodygaurd, him and arnold, anyone else from Predator we should ask for the team.

Agreed, and this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsntHcWiy4

Wayne Hammond
11-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm not certain that we would be able to get Secret Service protection at this point in the campaign.

Generally, the Secret Service does not allow for protection for major Presidential Candidates until 120 days prior to the general election (see http://www.secretservice.gov/protection.shtml for reference), with some exceptions (Obama, recently - but that was only after he became one of the top 2 Democratic candidates in national polls, after he had received several specific threats and after his campaign officially requested the protection).

That being said, after we raise >$10 million on Dec. 16th, with the resulting increase in poll numbers, Dr. Paul will become more of a threat to "the powers that be" - and at that point, Secret Service protection might be easier to obtain.

To those who believe private protection would be enough once Dr. Paul gets close to becoming the GOP candidate, I think you are deluding yourself. Secret Service has access to resources that private agencies can only dream of - and they receive respect and cooperation from local and state police as well - and a private security force would not necessarily be able to garner that sort of support, which puts a solid, protective bubble around Presidential candidates.

Yes, having private protection is in line with this whole movement's ideals of paying our own way and not relying upon government dollars - but this is a special situation - and a special man - with a special message - and when Dr. Paul becomes more popular, there will undoubtedly be evil men who will make threats against him (and may attempt to carry out those threats). When that starts happening, there is no other viable option but to request Secret Service protection.

Godbag
11-15-2007, 12:03 PM
how bout chuck norris? though thats more of a youtube style comment isnt it...

piotr1
11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I agree, I don't turst the Secret Service, i would rather have a private security.

ladyliberty
11-15-2007, 12:19 PM
Dr. Paul does have at least 4 bodyguards he has hired - I spoke to them after the debates. He is difficult to guard because he wants to go out and mingle with people like he does. All it takes is one crazy person dressing in Ron Paul gear to take him out! :eek:

I think he out to invest in bullet proof vest and vehicles.

Ncturnal
11-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Dr. Paul doesn't strike me as the type to live in fear. All I know is if something did happen to him, there would be hell to pay. I can only imagine the level of backlash that would come from such an incident.

givemeliberty
11-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Yes, I'd say he definitely needs more security on the ground.

JMann
11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
In addition to not trusting the SS, I think Paul would have trouble letting the taxpayers pay for the security of a candidate for office. There is nothing he can do at some point because it is the SS job to protect the presidency not the president but i would hold off as long as possible.

ctb619
11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
He can afford his own private security...and there are some VERY competent people in the private sector.

Madison
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
All I have to say is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY02Qkuc_f8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WCc_y5k0n8

Ron Paul Fan
11-15-2007, 04:52 PM
He has security and the people to protect him. Nobody is going to kill Ron Paul so stop fretting like school girls. Killing him would be the worst thing in the world they could do! It would enrage each and everyone of us to take action and who knows what would happen then. They're going to take him down with words and attack ads, not through the barrel of a gun. It would be as stupid as Iran hitting us with a nuclear weapon. The blowback from killing Ron Paul would be so negative and it would turn ugly rather quickly.

Revolution9
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Agreed, and this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwsntHcWiy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thm95Z18EU4

They could kick his disco ass! This is what RP needs..'cept American.

Randy

AlexAmore
11-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm willing to guard Ron Paul. I've got my two bare fists, "Law" and "Order". I would take a bullet and then go shove it up the shooter's ass.

CurtisLow
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Yeah a blackwater team..lol I hear the guy that runs BW is a libertarian

Marc
11-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Don't worry,

Ron Paul can handle himself just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEN12wN1wU

Marc

awigo50
11-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Don't worry,

Ron Paul can handle himself just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEN12wN1wU

Marc

Sometimes, I really wonder what the guy thinks when he sees things like this..

RP4ME
11-15-2007, 06:59 PM

nah it was the cb's ;o)

NinjaPirate
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
how bout chuck norris? though thats more of a youtube style comment isnt it...

Heh, he's too busy tootin' Huckabee's horn. :/

Ncturnal
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Sometimes, I really wonder what the guy thinks when he sees things like this..

"I've got some fanatical supporters." :eek:

Harry96
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
In my view, the threat of a lone nut is always present, but is negligible. The real threat would come from people in high places in the government or from powerful people with connections to such people, in which case relying on the Secret Service would probably put him in more danger. But I think any of that is unlikely, especially before he actually becomes president.

The fact that the president is so guarded comes in large part from our gigantic government and its belligerent imperialism; people forget that, until the 1920s -- when we had a much smaller, more constitutional government -- anyone could walk right up to the front door of the White House, knock, and ask to see the president.

RP is trying to return us to such a government, so I think it'd be great for him to make the point that a candidate who's not trying to run the world has much less to fear and not ask for SS protection; as well as making the point that he's paying for his own protection, in keeping with his philosophy of people paying their own way and expecting the private sector to do things better and cheaper than government. But it's his life on the line, not mine; if he asked for SS protection, I'd have no problem with it, and would think no less of him for it.

I could be wrong, but if he's elected, I don't think a president can refuse SS protection; I believe it's a requirement for the job, unless Congress changes it. I imagine one could refuse it before becoming the president-elect, even if the criteria for protection as a candidate are met, but I could be wrong about that too.

Wyurm
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I actually doubt Dr. Paul would accept Secret Service protection, though I could of course be wrong.

bobmurph
11-15-2007, 08:16 PM

Carl Weathers would be a nice touch...Apollo Creed baby!

quickmike
11-15-2007, 08:20 PM

The indian was kick ass.

http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/desktops/predindian3.jpg

Furis
11-15-2007, 08:44 PM
The real threat would come from people in high places in the government or from powerful people with connections to such people......

Definitely, but if anything was to happen to him I have a sneaking suspicion that the result would not be pretty.