PDA

View Full Version : Campaign finances don’t give clear winner

Jeremy
04-21-2012, 12:37 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/nkypolitics/2012/04/21/campaign-finances-dont-give-clear-winner/

The first three months of fundraising for the candidates didn’t reveal a clear front runner for the Fourth Congressional District seat in the May 22 primary, local political leaders said.

Seven Republicans and two Democrats have filed to replace Geoff Davis, R-Ky., in Congress.

For the Republicans, Boone County Judge-executive Gary Moore raised the most money at $238,000, Lewis County Judge-executive Thomas Massie raised $233,000 and State Rep. Alecia Webb-Edgington raised $116,000 in the first three months of 2012. Oldham County developer Walt Schumm raised $39,000. Marc Carey, Brian Oerther and Tom Wurtz didn’t file reports.

Democrat Bill Adkins raised $7,280 and his opponent in the primary, Greg Frank, didn’t file a report.

That Webb-Edgington only raised half of what Massie and Moore raised surprised Trey Grayson, Kentukcy’s former secretary of state and current director of Harvard’s Institute of Politics. Grayson, however, said that only puts Webb-Edgington at a slight disadvantage.

“When you look at it, none of the three raised a ton of money,” Grayson said. “Neither Gary Moore or Thomas Massie at this point clearly win the race, because, when spread out over the entire congressional district, combined with other expenses, you’re still looking at a close race.”

Moore saw many Northern Kentucky business leaders support his campaign. This includes $2,500 each from developer Wayne Carlisle and Corporex’s Bill Butler; a combined $6,000 from Robert, Thomas and Christopher Griffin of Cold Spring’s Griffin Industries;$1,000 from Brent Cooper, chairman of the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce board and Covington entrepreneur; $1,000 from Covington Mayor Chuck Scheper; $500 from Campbell County Judge-executive Steve Pendery and $750 from Boone County Jailer Ed Prindle.

“I’m just monitoring his work in the capacity of county judge, and I think he’s been very supportive and pro-growth,” said Butler, chairman of Covington-based Corporex. “I also think he’s demonstrated he can gain the respect of the legislature.”

Supporters see Webb-Edgington’s campaign finishing strong. Webb-Edgington’s campaign has pointed out she led the field in donations under $250 with 242 individuals for a total of $16,000. Her contributions include $1,000 from State Rep. Jeff Hoover, $1,500 from former Kenton County Deputy Judge-executive Scott Kimmich; $750 from Southbank Partners director and former Covington Schools superintendent Jack Moreland, $250 from Fort Wright Mayor Joe Nienaber and Kenton County Clerk Gabe Summe. She also got support from lobbyists, including $500 from John Keast, Cornerstone Government Affairs in Manassas, Va.; $250 from Pat Crowley of Strategic Advisers and $500 from Marc Wilson of Commonwealth Capitol Group.

“I think she would be a voice for us,” said Alice Sparks, a philanthropist from Fort Mitchell who contributed $5,000 to Webb-Edgington’s campaign. “She does have the ability to raise funds. She’s constantly out there.”

Massie put in an $80,000 loan to his campaign, but also got $153,000 in donations from individuals. Some Northern Kentucky donations to Massie include $2,000 from Matthew Toebben of Toebben Construction.; a total of $7,500 from James and John Brueggemann of Bavarian Trucking, $500 from Boone County Property Valuation Administrator Cindy Arlinghaus. Massie has touted Ron Paul’s endorsement, claiming that has brought 237 additional donations into his campaign last weekend.

Phyllis Sparks, of Walton, contributed $5,000 to Massie’s campaign and chairs his campaign in Boone County. Sparks, who also serves as vice chair of the Boone County GOP, said Massie’s background as an MIT graduate, inventor and farmer in Lewis County resonates.

“I can tell you working on his campaign and following Thomas on the trail, he’s appealing to all groups of people, no matter age or socio-economic background,” Phyllis Sparks said.

Money begets money

Raising the most money in the first three months can also give a candidate momentum in the home stretch since “money begets money,” Grayson said.

Money can portend who will win an election, said former Congressman Ken Lucas. Lucas preceded Davis in the Fourth Congressional District, serving from 1999 to 2005.

“I know from my own experience, people who raise the most money are the ones who have the best chance to win,” Lucas said.

The amount of Northern Kentucky support for Gary bodes well for him, Lucas said.

“I was glancing at who he got money from, and it was a pretty impressive list that was a pretty wide cross section of folks,” Lucas said.

Northern Kentucky ties important

Many in Northern Kentucky want to keep someone from Boone, Kenton or Campbell counties in Congress.

Fred Macke, Jr., a real estate broker from Covington, donated $1,000 to Moore’s campaign. Macke also chairs the Campbell County Economic Progress Authority board and said it’s important the next congressman live in the area.

“It is a big congressional district,” Macke said. “I want somebody who knows the people, knows the companies and can support our area..”

Butler agreed with Macke that Northern Kentucky needs to elect someone from the area.

“I want somebody from Northern Kentucky to be there to represent our population,” Butler said. “If we didn’t, they wouldn’t be nearly as effective, and we wouldn’t have the same voice that we have with a local person. We’re a population center with 360,000 people in the three counties. Not to have a representative in Congress doesn’t make sense.”

Being the only woman on the ballot might get Webb-Edgington some more votes, said Alice Sparks.

“I think women have a little bit of a different view of things, and I just think by and large they can negotiate better,” Sparks said. “It is time. We haven’t had a woman in Congress for a long time, not since Anne Northup in Lousiville. But I don’t support her just because she’s a woman I think she’s a fierce campaigner.”

While Massie doesn’t have as much name recognition in Northern Kentucky, supporters still think he can get a large percentage of the vote in Northern Kentucky. Moore’s narrow victory in 2010 against challenger and tea party loyalist Cathy Flaig by 74 gives Phyllis Sparks hope that Massie will have a strong showing.

“Gary Moore is less popular today than two years ago, and one reason for that is the ever looming parks tax issue that continues to come up, and his battle with conservatives in the county over trails and the Simpson property and easements, and it just continues after the voters in Boone County overwhelmingly said ‘no’ to that issue,” Phyllis Sparks said.

High expectations in Northern Kentucky

Many Northern Kentuckians who donated money to the campaigns of the Congressional candidates will expect strong support of local issues from whoever wins.

That’s why Covington City Commissioner Steve Frank gave money to Moore, Massie and Webb-Edgington. Covington needs an advocate in Congress for funding the Brent Spence Bridge replacement and preventing a design that would close off exits to the city’s riverfront, Frank said.

“Everything we’re doing and working on in Covington would be jeopardized if we failed to get a proper bridge design,” Frank said. “The election in November is very critical. I”m looking for people who are competent and look beyond party labels.”

Democratic opposition

The Democratic candidates said they plan on ramping up their campaign finances. Frank said he will sell his property to fund his campaign.

Adkins said he has a series of fundraisers coming up, including one next week in Florence. If he wins the nomination, he said he thinks he will get much more support for the general election. Adkins said he got a late start in fundraising since he filed on Feb. 7 after the legislature extended the filing deadline.

“I didn’t start to raise funds until late,” Adkins said. “I’m just now ramping up. I’m getting endorsements and financial backing. I”m feeling pretty good about it.”

Some, however, remained skeptical about a Democrat’s chances in the conservative Fourth District.

Democrat attention will likely go toward Ben Chandler’s seat in the Sixth District, Grayson said.

“It’s a 60-40 race at best in the fall for him,” Grayson said.

Sola_Fide
04-21-2012, 01:07 PM
“I can tell you working on his campaign and following Thomas on the trail, he’s appealing to all groups of people, no matter age or socio-economic background,” Phyllis Sparks said.

Phyllis is right...I've seen this too. (What she really means is that Tom is stirring up young people who care about liberty and not just old rich white-hairs.

The article makes it seem like Moore is a shoe-in to win the northern parts of the district but that is not the case. There is some significant anti-Moore sentiment up there. We just need the money to to come in so the voters up there know about Tom more.

This moneybomb has got to be HUGE. All eyes are on Thomas to see if he can break out of the pack.