PDA

View Full Version : Will you lose the Internet in July?

ronpaulfollower999
04-21-2012, 06:45 AM
This seems weird:

For computer users, a few mouse clicks could mean the difference between staying online and losing Internet connections after early July.

The problem started when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world. In a highly unusual move, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system will be shut down this summer.

The FBI is encouraging users to visit a website run by a security partner that will inform them whether they're infected — and explain how to fix the problem. After July 9, infected users won't be able to connect to the Internet.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/science_tech/will-you-lose-the-internet-in-july

pcosmar
04-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Will you lose the Internet in July?

Not from that.

roho76
04-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I can't wait until they really start attacking the internet. Maybe then those who are smarter than me will devise some sort of decentralized long range networking system. The more they try to mess with the internet the more they are going to drive this kind of technology.

And no, I will not go to the FBI Sponsored website and check to see if my computer is infected.

pcosmar
04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
I can't wait until they really start attacking the internet. Maybe then those who are smarter than me will devise some sort of decentralized long range networking system. The more they try to mess with the internet the more they are going to drive this kind of technology.

And no, I will not go to the FBI Sponsored website and check to see if my computer is infected.

I don't need to. I don't use an infect-able computer.

And this was from last November,,,,,
http://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/675

;)

UtahApocalypse
04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Seems the FEDS found a way around losing the SOPA battle.

A) Take a risk that the my Internet is screwed by a virus, or "other" cause come July.
B) Vistit a FBI website, download a install a "virus checker" that has who knows what other spyware in it.

Dianne
04-21-2012, 08:48 AM

A) Take a risk that the my Internet is screwed by a virus, or "other" cause come July.
B) Vistit a FBI website, download a install a "virus checker" that has who knows what other spyware in it.

Was my thought exactly.

Lishy
04-21-2012, 08:48 AM
O_o

Sounds like ransomeware, lol.

Anyways, I do not believe the internet can be shut down, merely because not all servers reside in the U.S.

.com maybe, but not other domain types.

roho76
04-21-2012, 09:36 AM
With there current surveillance system they have now they can only see your online activity as soon as you go download their "virus checker" they will be able to see what your doing offline.

rockerrockstar
04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Was my thought exactly.

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder how they will use that to spy on us. The virus threat is probably a hoax.

Lishy
04-21-2012, 09:48 AM
With there current surveillance system they have now they can only see your online activity as soon as you go download their "virus checker" they will be able to see what your doing offline.

You mean Windows 7?????

ronpaulfollower999
04-21-2012, 09:56 AM
I visited the website, but didn't do the "virus checker."

Just seems too fishy.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-21-2012, 10:20 AM

lol. I'll pick A every time. Even if I were sloppy with computer security, I wouldn't want the FBI spyware too. I'm not sure they will lose the SOPA battle. They will just keep repackaging it until it passes. (CISPA)

ctiger2
04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd prefer if they shut down the internet RIGHT NOW. SHUT IT OFF!

Maybe then people will wake up? Prob not...

Lishy
04-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Again, I don't believe this article. RT posted something similar, but I'll wait until I hear "official" "news" of it.

Either way, there will be huge opposition, considering the story assumes it is a central virus. Last I checked, Linux is safe! ;D

kuckfeynes
04-21-2012, 11:18 AM
This sounds like the most stereotypical spam campaign I can think of...
Your computer has been infected with a virus OMG!!! Click here right away to get rid of it!!!

thoughtomator
04-21-2012, 11:27 AM
this sounds to me like a scam to get you to willingly accept a new piece of government spyware on your machine

ronpaulfollower999
04-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Some more info:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-04-20/internet-woes-infected-pcs/54446044/1

pcosmar
04-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Some more info:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-04-20/internet-woes-infected-pcs/54446044/1

For computer users, (windoze users)
The average user* would open up Internet Explorer (internet Exploder)
They took advantage of vulnerabilities in the Microsoft Windows operating system (don't they all?)

Educate yourself.

*average user=an idiot

BlackTerrel
04-21-2012, 12:09 PM
No we won't.

CaptainAmerica
04-21-2012, 12:19 PM
If the FBI shuts down entire servers and computers, I will officially label the FBI a department of "legalized" hackers.

evilfunnystuff
04-21-2012, 02:31 PM
this sounds to me like a scam to get you to willingly accept a new piece of government spyware on your machine

totaly

oyarde
04-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Nah

Zippyjuan
04-21-2012, 03:14 PM
When I lose things I try to look in the closet- sometimes though I put things in the drawer so if I lose the internet I will look there first.