PDA

View Full Version : Hungary: People of 1956's Revolution for Ron Paul!

PeacefulHorizons
11-15-2007, 07:53 AM
I wanted to give this its own thread here in the international support section.. didn't see a separate thread for it.

People of 1956's Revolution for Ron Paul
http://hungary4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

Note the numerous links to other international Ron Paul support sites on their too!

I like this site in particular, not just because my parents fled Hungary during the 1956 Revolution, but because that period is known in the US as a valid "revolution" with "freedom fighters".

Ie, those people know what they are talking about... they lived through an oppressive regime. And they support Ron Paul!!

plb
11-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I went to Hungary whilst in the military....beautiful country.

Fabio
11-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Their regime actually still is oppressive sometimes and it encourages me in Germany to keep fighting, as I do not (yet) have to fear anything.

akovacs
11-15-2007, 11:38 AM
My dad is a refuge from 1956. My mom came over in the 60s. It's a great place.

The one thing about it that I find ridiculous though is how they do not legalize gun ownership. They're constantly invaded by other countries. You would think that they would want to move over to the swiss model so they could at least have a deterrent.

Fabio
11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
:)
We Germans had Hitler and the Communists in the GDR and we STILL think that it is the Americans who are crazy to want to keep their guns.

PeacefulHorizons
11-16-2007, 03:31 AM
you're right about there still being some oppressive aspects there

when I visited about 11 years ago, I took a train from Germany to Hungary. All of us in our full cabin chatted & it was a nice trip.

Then we started approaching the Hungarian border, and everyone became tense. It was just a feeling on the train. There was a Hungarian girl, maybe college age. And there was a middle-aged Romanian woman. They were both a bit nervous. The rest of us were Americans and we didn't really understand what was going on.

After crossing the border the silence on the train was eerie. The guards came around for "papers", and the tension was amazing. They told the Romanian woman to come with them (she had been the most nervous), and I didn't see her again for the rest of the ride to Budapest.

What's scary about it, is we are not *that* far from it here. National ID card proposals, Military Commissions Act, presidential authority to declare someone an enemy combatant etc - there ARE people being taken away & "disappeared", just not so many that it's very noticeable, yet. Think of the round up of, what was it 1,000 or so Muslims, right after 911. And the ACLU & attorneys of family members etc were unable to confirm if these people were in custody or not, for months or longer. I'm sure some of them are still locked up.

My parents don't talk much about their experience back then. Just that soldiers would come knocking at a neighbor's house, and someone would be taken away, never to be seen again. And that they had to cross through mine fields & icy rivers (as teenagers) to get out.

I hope we never get to that point in the US.

Fabio
11-16-2007, 04:42 AM
You wanna know what`s going on in Hungary?

This is 2006:

http://pestylaszlo.com/index_eng.html