PDA

View Full Version : Romney requires GOP RNC delegates to sign loyalty pledge; some refuse

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 02:01 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/20/romney-asks-gop-delegates-to-sign-pledge-but-some-refuse/

Scottsdale, Arizona (CNN) - Members of the Republican National Committee gathering in Arizona were invited to meet with Mitt Romney in private Friday and have their pictures taken with the presumptive GOP nominee, but there was a price of admission: loyalty.

RNC members and state GOP chairmen were welcomed into the private reception only after signing a form pledging to support Romney as a delegate to the national convention in Tampa....

Not everyone was allowed to join in the fun.

All three members of Iowa's conservative RNC delegation – party chairman A.J. Spiker and committee members Steve Scheffler and Kim Lehman – attempted to enter the reception but were rebuffed after refusing to sign the delegate pledge.

The dispute became heated in the hallway outside, with the Iowans demanding to know why they had to sign a form to get their picture taken with the former Massachusetts governor.

Several of Romney's deputies on the committee assured the trio that they could keep their support a secret by checking the appropriate box, but they refused to do so.

"They don't trust us," a frustrated Scheffler said after the argument. "I have said I will support the nominee when we have a nominee, no ifs, ands or buts."

more at link

ronpaulfollower999
04-20-2012, 02:05 PM
A.J. Spiker is one of us, right?

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
yep

kathy88
04-20-2012, 02:15 PM
I got my picture taken with Ron Paul yesterday and I didn't have to sign anything :)

PolicyReader
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
I got my picture taken with Ron Paul yesterday and I didn't have to sign anything :)
Did you have Paul sign anything ;) :D

kathy88
04-20-2012, 03:18 PM

I took my son and his friend so I got three books and a cookbook signed. Carol signed the cookbook as well. Paul was only supposed to sign one per person, and Carol made him sign my cookbook because she liked the boys :) She is SO nice. I'll take pics of them later. I didn't get home until late, slept five hours and worked all day. I have softball practice now.

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM

I lol'd, but thinking about it, it is sort of telling, between the two candidates, who is out for themselves and wants to require us to do things for them, and who is there for us.

PolicyReader
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
I've been mentally giving all these delegates to Willard in my tallies, it's good to be reminded that they're not 100% a lock for him. Also worth noting that even tho he does (as expected) get the bulk of support from them he's worried enough about the nomination to be making a scene over a pledge like this :p

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 03:21 PM
I've been mentally giving all these delegates to Willard in my tallies, it's good to be reminded that they're not 100% a lock for him. Also worth noting that even tho he does (as expected) get the bulk of support from them he's worried enough about the nomination to be making a scene over a pledge like this :p

you are right. And finding out who will and will not fall in line likely tells him where trouble spots were. WE always knew we'd be the last resistance standing, but this kinda drives that home, doesn't it?

rich34
04-20-2012, 03:38 PM
you are right. And finding out who will and will not fall in line likely tells him where trouble spots were. WE always knew we'd be the last resistance standing, but this kinda drives that home, doesn't it?

It sure does, it's just extremely awful that we couldn't get at least honest reporting from the MSM to see how well Paul would have done. Now if we had Ben Swann type reporting (dreaming I know) Ron could have took this thing going away!

Titus
04-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice article. I wish I could include it on my site but technically this isn't a voting irregularity. Still those supporting privately might not really be supporters at all.

Mitt is desperate to count his delegates though.

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 03:51 PM
it is a pledge. The 'private' part is so they can lie back home and pretend to be neutral.

PolicyReader
04-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Yep, it's important to keep perspective. Certainly we hoped for things to be going more fully in our favor at this point in the race but it's always been expected that this would require a fight all the way through (one reason for the delegate stratagem). So while things are not ideal they are proceeding apace and we'd do well to keep that clearly in mind.

kathy88
04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I think it stinks of desperation. He is shitting himself right now. First round Tampa = NO ONE. LOSER.

PolicyReader
04-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I think it stinks of desperation. He is shitting himself right now. First round Tampa = NO ONE. LOSER.
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIJEb9eTMGfAxyTA1h6z6fdPl23KblC mUCXV-9Rl3QU-LyvFnJMw

CaptainAmerica
04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
gross.I hate when Romney comes to az.

Titus
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
it is a pledge. The 'private' part is so they can lie back home and pretend to be neutral.

I doubt such a pledge can be legally binding though. If a picture of Mitt Romney is "something of value" (usual language in certain statues) then people cannot be required to promise how they will vote in order to obtain the item.

kathy88
04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
I doubt such a pledge can be legally binding though. If a picture of Mitt Romney is "something of value" (usual language in certain statues) then people cannot be required to promise how they will vote in order to obtain the item.

Isn't he being investigated over hoagiegate for JUST this thing????? Legality? GREAT POINT Titus...

Carson
04-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Pledges sort of worry me.

I am either a doer or a talker. I've found it easier to keep my mouth shut and just do what I'm going to do, if I'm going to do any doing at all. Once I opened my trap and have said I'm going to do something, I've sort of jinked the whole thing.

I've read tales of indians that if you stopped them on their way hunting and ask them where they were going, they would just head back home.

In this case maybe he just captured a bunch of talkers.

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 04:35 PM

but in politics if you don't do what you pledged your political career is over, regardless of whether it is enforceable in court. If you pledge it to politico's that is, they don't care what lies you might promise the electorate...

The Northbreather
04-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Kneel before the Great Leader Willard!

enrique
04-20-2012, 05:05 PM
but in politics if you don't do what you pledged your political career is over, regardless of whether it is enforceable in court. If you pledge it to politico's that is, they don't care what lies you might promise the electorate...Because who can imagine a politician being successful who flip flops all the time? :)

Titus
04-20-2012, 05:19 PM
but in politics if you don't do what you pledged your political career is over, regardless of whether it is enforceable in court. If you pledge it to politico's that is, they don't care what lies you might promise the electorate...

Our delegates are not really concerned with political careers for the most part. That being said, I am not a hundred percent sure if the pledge intends to be legally binding either. I would have to see more on the pledge but this very conversation has now made this website worthy.

kathy88
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
I cannot fathom that a legally binding pledge is allowable under any rules whatsoever.

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Our delegates are not really concerned with political careers for the most part. That being said, I am not a hundred percent sure if the pledge intends to be legally binding either. I would have to see more on the pledge but this very conversation has now made this website worthy.

OUR delegates aren't but California where I live hasn't even voted yet and 'our' at large delegates signed the pledge to get into the meet and greet with Romney. They don't represent the members and voters but the leadership, clearly.

tbone717
04-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Spiker has stated that he will support the Republican nominee for President.

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2012/04/20/iowans-in-romney-photo-line-in-kerfuffle-about-signing-pledges/

It appears that Spiker, isn't on the NOBP bandwagon

alucard13mmfmj
04-20-2012, 05:52 PM
pledges are broken every day.. Obama broke his pledges. Romney certainly will break his pledges.

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 05:53 PM

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2012/04/20/iowans-in-romney-photo-line-in-kerfuffle-about-signing-pledges/

He's state GOP chair. Of course he has to support the nominee or he couldn't have gotten the position. That isn't ordinary voters.

sailingaway
04-20-2012, 05:53 PM
pledges are broken every day.. Obama broke his pledges. Romney certainly will break his pledges.

Only to us, not to those he considers important.

kathy88
04-20-2012, 06:12 PM

What's he supposed to say?

04-20-2012, 06:39 PM

So?

Not the end of the world. I know people that are voting for Ron who will support the nominee.

Aratus
04-20-2012, 06:49 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/20/romney-asks-gop-delegates-to-sign-pledge-but-some-refuse/

more at link

is Mr Mitt trying to be nobody's fool
as he opens up a controversy that
may have Tampa being a memorable
GOP event? i think Florida is not to
be the land of the bland in August!!!

RDM
04-20-2012, 07:07 PM
So?

Not the end of the world. I know people that are voting for Ron who will support the nominee.

You shouldn't have outed yourself.;)

04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
You shouldn't have outed yourself.;)

Only with Ron or Rand as VP would I vote for Romney.

I know people that like Ron a lot and will vote for him next week but will vote the party line in the general. I don't push them away.

FSP-Rebel
04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
So?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2cyouo.jpg

04-20-2012, 07:30 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2cyouo.jpg

Silly accusations won't get us anywhere. If Ron isn't the nominee and doesn't run third party I'm voting Johnson or Roemer. I've never claimed to be nobp. I do have friends voting for Ron who will vote GOP in the fall. Why should we push people like that away? Something is better than nothing.

I'd only vote Romney if he takes Ron or Rand as VP.

Philosophy_of_Politics
04-20-2012, 07:35 PM
The actions of an Imperialist. A man that seeks loyalty from men he wishes to serve him.

FSP-Rebel
04-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Silly accusations won't get us anywhere. If Ron isn't the nominee and doesn't run third party I'm voting Johnson or Roemer. I've never claimed to be nobp. I do have friends voting for Ron who will vote GOP in the fall. Why should we push people like that away? Something is better than nothing.

I'd only vote Romney if he takes Ron or Rand as VP.
I'm just messing around plus I've been waiting to use that pic for a while now.:p

Origanalist
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
So the Godfather insists you kiss the ring.

Really, I cannot for the life of me understand why ANYBODY would support this guy.

georgiaboy
04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
who wants a private meeting and picture with Mitt anyways? yuk.