PDA

View Full Version : One single act of defiance.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 10:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BcVFO.jpg

Kluge
04-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Nice.

I have to say that I can't stand group compliance, even when they're chanting "RON PAUL!" It creeps me out.

PierzStyx
04-19-2012, 11:07 PM
The story that goes along with the picture. Don't know if it is true. But here you go.

"Ordinary people. The courage to say no.

The photo was taken in Hamburg in 1936, during the celebrations for the launch of a ship. In the crowed, one person refuses to raise his arm to give the Nazi salute. The man was August Landmesser. He had already been in trouble with the authorities, having been sentenced to two years hard labour for marrying a Jewish woman.
We know little else about August Landmesser, except that he had two children. By pure chance, one of his children recognized her father in this photo when it was published in a German newspaper in 1991. How proud she must have been in that moment."

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 11:46 PM
The story that goes along with the picture. Don't know if it is true. But here you go.

"Ordinary people. The courage to say no.

The photo was taken in Hamburg in 1936, during the celebrations for the launch of a ship. In the crowed, one person refuses to raise his arm to give the Nazi salute. The man was August Landmesser. He had already been in trouble with the authorities, having been sentenced to two years hard labour for marrying a Jewish woman.
We know little else about August Landmesser, except that he had two children. By pure chance, one of his children recognized her father in this photo when it was published in a German newspaper in 1991. How proud she must have been in that moment."

Thanks for that.

RickyJ
04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I think most of them were not saluting because they felt they had to, they were doing it because they truly liked Hitler. Hitler at the time was not known as a monster, and to them he was their leader of a revolution that was bringing prosperity back to Germany and many loved him for this.

DamianTV
04-20-2012, 08:41 AM
The statement needs to be finished.

"... can inspire others to do the same."
"... can be the start of something wonderful."
"... can let others know that they are not alone."

Anti Federalist
04-20-2012, 08:51 AM
The statement needs to be finished.

"... can inspire others to do the same."
"... can be the start of something wonderful."
"... can let others know that they are not alone."

Damn right.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2012, 08:52 AM
I think most of them were not saluting because they felt they had to, they were doing it because they truly liked Hitler. Hitler at the time was not known as a monster, and to them he was their leader of a revolution that was bringing prosperity back to Germany and many loved him for this.

Yes, quite true.

Only a few saw through it for what it was.

Just like now.

seraphson
04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Ha. What a magnificent picture. We need more people like him.

KCIndy
04-20-2012, 09:44 AM
VERY interesting article on MentalFloss.com that fleshes out the rest of the story:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/96463

Sad. And truly indicative of how cruel an authoritarian regime can be. :(