PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory ‘Big Brother’ Black Boxes In All New Cars From 2015

John F Kennedy III
04-19-2012, 04:44 AM
Mandatory ‘Big Brother’ Black Boxes In All New Cars From 2015

Provision is part of controversial MAP-21 bill expected to pass House

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A bill already passed by the Senate and set to be rubber stamped by the House would make it mandatory for all new cars in the United States to be fitted with black box data recorders from 2015 onwards.

Section 31406 of Senate Bill 1813 (known as MAP-21), calls for “Mandatory Event Data Recorders” to be installed in all new automobiles and legislates for civil penalties to be imposed against individuals for failing to do so.

“Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall revise part 563 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, to require, beginning with model year 2015, that new passenger motor vehicles sold in the United States be equipped with an event data recorder that meets the requirements under that part,” states the bill.

Although the text of legislation states that such data would remain the property of the owner of the vehicle, the government would have the power to access it in a number of circumstances, including by court order, if the owner consents to make it available, and pursuant to an investigation or inspection conducted by the Secretary of Transportation.

Given the innumerable examples of both government and industry illegally using supposedly privacy-protected information to spy on individuals, this represents the slippery slope to total Big Brother surveillance of every American’s transport habits and location data.

The legislation, which has been given the Orwellian title ‘Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act’, sailed through the Senate after being heavily promoted by Democrats Harry Reid and Barbara Boxer and is also expected to pass the Republican-controlled House.

Given the fact that the same bill also includes a controversial provision that would empower the IRS to revoke passports of citizens merely accused of owing over $50,000 in back taxes, stripping them of their mobility rights, could the mandatory black boxes or a similar technology be used for the same purpose?

Biometric face-recognition and transdermol sensor technology that prevents an inebriated person from driving a car by disabling the automobile has already been developed, in addition to systems that refuse to allow the vehicle to start if the driver is deemed to be overtired.

The ultimate Big Brother scenario would be a system whereby every driver had to get de facto permission from the state to drive each time they get behind the wheel, once it had been determined from an iris scan that they were good citizens who have paid all their taxes and not misbehaved.

The push to pressure car manufacturers to install black box tracking devices in all new cars has been ongoing for over a decade. In 2006, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration encouraged but did not require automobile manufacturers to install the systems.

However, in February last year NHTSA administrator David Strickland said the government was considering making the technology mandatory in the wake of recalls of millions of Toyota vehicles.

Earlier this year it was reported that the NHTSA would soon formally announce that all new cars would be mandated to have the devices fitted by law, which has now been codified into the MAP-21 bill.

original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/mandatory-big-brother-black-boxes-in-all-new-cars-from-2015/

donnay
04-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Technology is a good thing, but when it ends up in the hands of evil is a bad thing!

Guess some of us will have to resort to horse and buggy to get around. :mad:

MikeStanart
04-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Oh, FFS. All done under the guise of "For our Protection".

Looks like I'm never buying a car newer than 2015.

Democrat4Paul
04-19-2012, 07:05 AM
This doesn't concern me too much. I will drive and ride as always with little and no effect from this.

Funny provisions in the Bill, though? WTF does driving have to do with back taxes?

Now THAT concerns me.

Sneaky snakes all around...

The Goat
04-19-2012, 07:07 AM
And a new industry of removing black boxes from cars is born. XD

Who says the government cant create jobs in the private market. lol

Democrat4Paul
04-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Hell yeahs!!

MikeStanart
04-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Guess what? These records will be used by law enforcement / obtained by court order to be used against you in criminal matters.

DamianTV
04-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Guess what? These records will be used by law enforcement / obtained by court order to be used against you in criminal matters.

"... can and will be used Against you in a Court of Law. ..."

Nothing in there about it ever being used in your Defense. You'll never be allowed access to this box to defend yourself against an Untrue Speeding Ticket (read: Taxation by Citation).

Democrat4Paul
04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm starting ot get a clearer picture...

It's simply a "red light camera" in your car. And it will most likely serve insurance companies best.

I'm no fool, doesn't take much more info then provided in this thread to change my mind. I was wrong in my first post.

Screw this crap!

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
This doesn't concern me too much. I will drive and ride as always with little and no effect from this.

Funny provisions in the Bill, though? WTF does driving have to do with back taxes?

Now THAT concerns me.

It will concern you when you fail to pay your taxes or get behind on your mortgage payments and the "black box" shuts your car off.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm starting ot get a clearer picture...

It's simply a "red light camera" in your car. And it will most likely serve insurance companies best.

I'm no fool, doesn't take much more info then provided in this thread to change my mind. I was wrong in my first post.

Screw this crap!

+rep for seeing the light.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
And a new industry of removing black boxes from cars is born. XD

Who says the government cant create jobs in the private market. lol

Removal of the box will be a felony, impossible to do since it is tied in with essential ECM function and will result in a "fail" at mandatory inspections.

RickyJ
04-19-2012, 02:24 PM
All those red light cameras are used for much more than just giving out tickets, they are used to monitor our movements and record them. If you want privacy then you will have to leave the USA. Privacy is not coming back to the USA without a revolution.

Lucille
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
All those red light cameras are used for much more than just giving out tickets, they are used to monitor our movements and record them. If you want privacy then you will have to leave the USA. Privacy is not coming back to the USA without a revolution.

They've been monitoring the birds I've flipping them, I'm sure. :)

HOLLYWOOD
04-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Insurance companies write the BILL? Sounds like government and corporations will far out benefit over the owners of vehicles.

chudrockz
04-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Guess I'll be driving my 1995 GMC Sierra 2500 till I die!

devil21
04-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Ill keep my motorcycle then.

DGambler
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
The pathocrats strike again. As our society continues to sicken and reflect the values of the sociopaths at the top, the noose is going to continue to tighten.

DamianTV
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Fuck. A. Bunch. Of. Computer. Cars.

Wins ALL Computer Cars Threads!

LibForestPaul
04-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Now THAT concerns me.

carbon tax

idiom
04-19-2012, 08:05 PM
All the anarcho-capitalists seem to promote an ideal world where all the insurance companies and road owners are free to require this sort of tracking.

Does anybody even read what the like of Stefan and Block write?

They also suggest that having $10,000 rewards for reporting neighbours who have unregistered weapons to your local private defence company would be a wonderful idea.

There is no right to, or even expectation of, privacy in the NAP.

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
All the anarcho-capitalists seem to promote an ideal world where all the insurance companies and road owners are free to require this sort of tracking.

Does anybody even read what the like of Stefan and Block write?

They also suggest that having $10,000 rewards for reporting neighbours who have unregistered weapons to your local private defence company would be a wonderful idea.

There is no right to, or even expectation of, privacy in the NAP.

Explains why I'm not a full blown ana-cap now, doesn't it?

Vanilluxe
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Wait, I might have found a loophole, since it requires all vehicles to get black box sold in the US. That means if I import cars such as Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) in English, then I can avoid the black box law :toady:

Anti Federalist
04-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Wait, I might have found a loophole, since it requires all vehicles to get black box sold in the US. That means if I import cars such as Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) in English, then I can avoid the black box law :toady:

You can import all the cars you want.

If you want to register and title them to operate on public roads you will need an MCO.

And that will not be approved or certified for use on US roads.

Not to mention the EU is implementing similar laws.

DamianTV
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Anyone care to take a guess as to what kind of shit we will be fighting 20 years from now?

What we are allowing our government to do this very second is building the foundation for the increasingly intrusive and abusive government in the future. Shit like this has to stop!

Danke
04-19-2012, 08:43 PM
So laugh at us the promote not registering your car. I know, too much of a hassle. Well it is becoming a hassle that more and more people should look into and worth the battles.

The Supreme Court has even ruled that we has the right to travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35DoJroTYY&feature=gv

Pauls' Revere
04-19-2012, 10:49 PM
or when it measures your carbon footprint by mileage driven.

azxd
04-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Wait, I might have found a loophole, since it requires all vehicles to get black box sold in the US. That means if I import cars such as Bayerische Motoren Werke (BMW) in English, then I can avoid the black box law :toady:AFAIK, Subaru was the last major manufacturer to incorporate this technology, and they started doing it in 07/08 ... The technology has been in use for years, this just mandates that it be installed in all future vehicles.

The foreign built vehicles that might not have such technology will never pass EPA and safety standards, unless you spend thousands of dollars $$$$ or $$$$$ to meet the requirements.

azxd
04-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Anyone care to take a guess as to what kind of shit we will be fighting 20 years from now?

What we are allowing our government to do this very second is building the foundation for the increasingly intrusive and abusive government in the future. Shit like this has to stop!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djVGhqvl_8A
It will be nicknamed ... The Motor Law.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2012, 07:41 AM
So laugh at us the promote not registering your car. I know, too much of a hassle. Well it is becoming a hassle that more and more people should look into and worth the battles.

The Supreme Court has even ruled that we has the right to travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q35DoJroTYY&feature=gv

A valid point of civil disobedience.

azxd
04-20-2012, 07:51 AM
A valid point of civil disobedience.A valid point ... YES !!!!

But it's hard enough to get a few people to decide where they want to go eat, and harder still to get them to decide about a potential POTUS ... Then when you factor in the complacency of most, tack on fines for non-compliance, and the very real aspect of everyone's registration NOT ending on the same day ... I don't see this getting very far.

Nice video Danke ... Tagged for review ... Dang it's long LOL

Black box = Just drive your old beater until you can no longer get parts to repair it ;)

Anti Federalist
04-20-2012, 07:57 AM
It will be nicknamed ... The Motor Law.

That post deserves lyrics:

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
Before the Motor Law.
And on Sundays I elude the Eyes,
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire,
Where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car.
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better, vanished time.
I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...

Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge...

Well-weathered leather,
Hot metal and oil,
The scented country air.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.

Suddenly ahead of me,
Across the mountainside,
A gleaming alloy air-car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.
I spin around with shrieking tires,
To run the deadly race,
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase.

Drive like the wind,
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan.
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.
Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside

http://blog.cargurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/1948_ferrari_barchetta.jpg

Origanalist
04-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Oh, FFS. All done under the guise of "For our Protection".

Looks like I'm never buying a car newer than 2015.

That will only work for a while, things like this are like crack to authoritarians, you'll be forced to have one installed soon enough.

Anti Federalist
04-20-2012, 08:28 AM
That will only work for a while, things like this are like crack to authoritarians, you'll be forced to have one installed soon enough.

Or, you just won't be permitted to drive anything older than ten or 15 years old on the road anymore.

I see that coming before too much longer.

Origanalist
04-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Or, you just won't be permitted to drive anything older than ten or 15 years old on the road anymore.

I see that coming before too much longer.

Yep, actually I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

DamianTV
04-20-2012, 08:32 AM
When you know what the Chains of Obedience are that enslave your mind to commit to someone elses will, you can finally break free of those Chains and those Chains alone, yet, others will remain.

Lucille
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
LRC: 'Your' Car Won’t Be Beginning in 2015 (http://lewrockwell.com/peters-e/peters-e178.html)

After a certain point, it’s not paranoia.

The latest brick in the wall is the predictably named “Moving Ahead For Progress in the 21st Century Act,” also known as Senate Bill 1813. (See here for the full text of the bill itself; the relevant section is 31406.) This legislation – already passed by the Senate and likely to be passed by the House – will impose a legal requirement that all new cars made beginning with the 2015 models be fitted with so-called Event Data Recorders (EDRs). These are the “black boxes” you may have read about that store data about how you drive – including whether you wear a seat belt and how fast you drive – ostensibly for purposes of post-accident investigation.

These EDRs are not new. GM and other automakers have been installing them in new cars for years – in GM’s case, since the late 1990s. What’s new is the proposed federal mandate, which would make it illegal to not have one – or (in all likelihood) to remove or disable one in a car required to have the device.

The question arises: why?

Several possibilities come to mind:

First, the EDRs could – and almost certainly will be – tied into your vehicle’s GPS. (Most new and late model cars, conveniently, already have this, too.) Then data about your driving can be transmitted – as well as recorded. To whom? Your insurance company, of course. Progressive Insurance already has such a system in place – voluntary, for the moment. (See here for more on that.)

When EDRs are mandated, you will no longer have a choice.

We’ll be told it’s all for the sake of (groan) “safety” – just like the old 55 MPH highway speed limit and every radar trap in the country. Of course, it’s really for the sake of revenue – the government’s and the insurance company’s. Your rates will be “adjusted” in real time, for every incident of “speeding” or not buckling up. It’ll be so much more efficient than using cops to issue tickets. After all, so many fishes escape! With an EDR in every car, no one will escape. Your “adjusted” premium will be waiting for you when you get home.

You’ve got mail!

And naturally, they – the government, insurance companies – will be able to track your every move, noting (and recording) where you’ve been and when. This will create a surveillance net beyond anything that ever existed previously. Some will not sweat this: After all, if you’ve got nothing to hide, why worry? Except for the fact that, courtesy of almost everything we do being either “illegal” or at least “suspicious” we all have a great deal to hide. The naivety of the Don’t Worry, it’s No Big Deal crowd is breathtaking. Did the average Soviet citizen also “not have anything to hide,” and hence why worry?

Read the rest of the article (http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/04/19/your-car-wont-be-beginning-in-2015/)

QuickZ06
04-20-2012, 01:44 PM
They have had these in cars for awhile now, guess they are going to start implementing them in a different way now......$$$$!

Thanks government, I am sure this was for OUR safety of course.

Lishy
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM

pcgame
04-20-2012, 01:47 PM

CaptainAmerica
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
If you have get a new car dismantle its wiring.

azxd
04-20-2012, 02:07 PM

I see that coming before too much longer.Like all the antique car holders are going to go along with this LOL
And then there are people like you and I, who, even if we can afford something new, prefer something older ... IMO, they'll outlaw everything, first.

Additional thought,
They might switch to a progressive regestration scheme (saw that in Japan) where registration goes up, as the vehicle gets older.

azxd
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
They have had these in cars for awhile now, guess they are going to start implementing them in a different way now......$$$$!

Thanks government, I am sure this was for OUR safety of course.No new implementation ... Just a mandate that all sales within this country contain such features on new vehicles.

Most have been doing this for a few years to over a decade, already.

The only reason to freak out, is if it's new information, to you ;)

ETA: If you're driving a Z06 ... It already has this feature ... Guaranteed !!!

Origanalist
04-20-2012, 02:46 PM
"The only reason to freak out, is if it's new information, to you"

You will have to excuse me if I don't think another way of tracking my movements is a great idea.

Anybody interested in who voted for this can go here;

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/112-2012/s48

Danke
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Additional thought,
They might switch to a progressive regestration scheme (saw that in Japan) where registration goes up, as the vehicle gets older.

Ya, I think that is coming.

azxd
04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Ya, I think that is coming.Very possible ... Japan claimed it kept the clunkers off the road.
Then again, they have narrow roads, and limited access to the few freeways they do have, with no emergency lane to pull over onto, if you have a problem.
Heck, most of their roads, have no place to pull over ... Think 2.5 car widths, typical, for a two lane road.

QuickZ06
04-21-2012, 11:24 PM
No new implementation ... Just a mandate that all sales within this country contain such features on new vehicles.

Most have been doing this for a few years to over a decade, already.

The only reason to freak out, is if it's new information, to you ;)

ETA: If you're driving a Z06 ... It already has this feature ... Guaranteed !!!

Not my year, but the new ones yes.