PDA

View Full Version : Any Word From Georgia?

JasonM
04-19-2012, 01:38 AM
I know they just had their CD election. Here's the rules for allocating the delegates:

CD – Delegate allocation: The highest vote getter shall
be allocated 2 delegates and alternates and the
second highest vote getter shall be allocated 1
delegate and alternate. Any candidate who
receives a majority of the vote in a Congressional
District’s Primary shall be allocated all CD
delegates from that district.

Anyone have any ideas how we did there?

nobody's_hero
04-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Bill Greene is pretty much the Ron Paul movement's 'go to' guy here in Georgia. Here's what he said about the 9th district, with some elaboration as to how things went in the rest of the state.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=430534190293742&id=259323364081493

peluski17
04-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Not so well in Gwinnett County. We had a number in the high seventies out of 135 total delegates, but there was a rule change that snuck past us which required the delegates get 2 letters of recommendation from elected officials. We had a few of ours try to get recommendations, but were unsuccessful. In the end, 3 delegates and 3 alternates were chosen for the National Convention and none appeared to be Ron Paul supporters. The convention was held pretty fairly with little ruckus. Probably because they knew none of us had recommendation letters. The fact that we had almost half of the people in attendance shows positive signs for the future for liberty.

wgadget
04-19-2012, 06:46 AM
OMG. I am SO embarrassed by the GA GOP. They are Corruption personified. Please run Indy, Ron...

nobody's_hero
04-19-2012, 06:57 AM
OMG. I am SO embarrassed by the GA GOP. They are Corruption personified. Please run Indy, Ron...

Yeah I'm starting to feel that way too. I think our best bet is for the GA GOP to be so nasty to the Ron Paul people at state convention next month that we'll end up making more allies if we come out looking like the adults in the room.

satchelmcqueen
04-19-2012, 07:07 AM
hey i know first hand they are corrupt. just a little longer and im gonna unleash some public truth up here where i live. possible news footage with it....

nobody's_hero
04-19-2012, 07:15 AM
but there was a rule change that snuck past us which required the delegates get 2 letters of recommendation from elected officials.

That's what sucks about trying to change the GOP. They have set it up where you must be approved by a special committee before you even think about becoming a delegate. It makes it very hard for mundanes to duly elect delegates.

We got letters telling us to submit a 'political resume' of everything we've done in the GOP, and get letters of recommendation, blah blah blah.

I haven't done anything in the GOP. Perhaps I'd like to, but the more I learn about the process, the more I'd rather not be associated with it at all. At the county level, at least where I'm at in this state, we were treated fairly. But the higher up you go, the harder you get stepped on.

But this may be freedom's last hurrah, and I won't be quitting* the GOP before the delegates are counted.

wgadget
04-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Well, I certainly won't be giving them another cent.

sailingaway
04-19-2012, 07:54 AM
Not so well in Gwinnett County. We had a number in the high seventies out of 135 total delegates, but there was a rule change that snuck past us which required the delegates get 2 letters of recommendation from elected officials. We had a few of ours try to get recommendations, but were unsuccessful. In the end, 3 delegates and 3 alternates were chosen for the National Convention and none appeared to be Ron Paul supporters. The convention was held pretty fairly with little ruckus. Probably because they knew none of us had recommendation letters. The fact that we had almost half of the people in attendance shows positive signs for the future for liberty.

how many rule changes blatantly giving the establishment the pick of delegates are Republicans going to accept? I don't just mean us, NONE of the base wants the establishment picking candidates.

sailingaway
04-19-2012, 07:57 AM
That's what sucks about trying to change the GOP. They have set it up where you must be approved by a special committee before you even think about becoming a delegate. It makes it very hard for mundanes to duly elect delegates.

We got letters telling us to submit a 'political resume' of everything we've done in the GOP, and get letters of recommendation, blah blah blah.

I haven't done anything in the GOP. Perhaps I'd like to, but the more I learn about the process, the more I'd rather not be associated with it at all. At the county level, at least where I'm at in this state, we were treated fairly. But the higher up you go, the harder you get stepped on.

But this may be freedom's last hurrah, and I won't be guitting the GOP before the delegates are counted.

star chamber.

Which would be fine, private property/association-wise if there were no barriers to entry for other parties.

I am increasingly thinking that if Ron's delegates are messed with he should run independent and push a lawsuit to the supreme court on ballot access 'sore loser' laws etc COMBINED with party autonomy showing that the COMBINATION is voter suppression and electioneering, applying antitrust principles on barriers to entry. Even if he wins, while he might get on the ballots, it might be too late money and time wise for him to prevail even if he wins the law suit, BUT it would make 2016 different, and frankly, if they get away with this, what else would make 2016 different? If they don't change the party accountability, they should end the barriers to entry that keep other parties actually representing the people from getting on the ballot.

Thor
04-19-2012, 08:05 AM
but there was a rule change that snuck past us which required the delegates get 2 letters of recommendation from elected officials.

But this may be freedom's last hurrah, and I won't be guitting the GOP before the delegates are counted.

So if you can't prove you have been a member of the Good Ol' Boys club and get 2 Representatives of the Good Ol' Boys Club to recommend you, they don't want you joining the Good Ol' Boys Club? If they were a racist private golf club, that is one thing; but an instrument of the political process that affects everyone? That sounds like a fair democracy..... not.

Thor
04-19-2012, 08:05 AM
hey i know first hand they are corrupt. just a little longer and im gonna unleash some public truth up here where i live. possible news footage with it....

What are you waiting for, until AFTER all the delegates are selected?

nobody's_hero
04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
star chamber.

Which would be fine, private property/association-wise if there were no barriers to entry for other parties.

I am increasingly thinking that if Ron's delegates are messed with he should run independent and push a lawsuit to the supreme court on ballot access 'sore loser' laws etc COMBINED with party autonomy showing that the COMBINATION is voter suppression and electioneering, applying antitrust principles on barriers to entry. Even if he wins, while he might get on the ballots, it might be too late money and time wise for him to prevail even if he wins the law suit, BUT it would make 2016 different, and frankly, if they get away with this, what else would make 2016 different? If they don't change the party accountability, they should end the barriers to entry that keep other parties actually representing the people from getting on the ballot.

Certainly, ballot access restrictions make 3rd party runs futile in Georgia. That leaves the options limited for changing anything unless you work through one of the two major parties. Then you get there and realize you are restricted on what you can do there as well.

I think it borders very closely to disenfrachisement, myself, but, I am not a lawyer, nor is the justice system just, even if I were.

nobody's_hero
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
So if you can't prove you have been a member of the Good Ol' Boys club and get 2 Representatives of the Good Ol' Boys Club to recommend you, they don't want you joining the Good Ol' Boys Club? If they were a racist private golf club, that is one thing; but an instrument of the political process that affects everyone? That sounds like a fair democracy..... not.

You nailed it. Although the 'nominating committees' are made up of 5 people. Letters of recommendation from 2 people (say, a county chairman and treasurer) might be easier to get, but even they don't mean anything if a 3/2 vote turns you down.

Theoretically, it is possible to over-rule the nomination committee's slate. However, their decision has a lot of pull with the voters present. It's basically a 'seal of approval' and who wants to contest that? (other than us)

Thor
04-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Certainly, ballot access restrictions make 3rd party runs futile in Georgia. That leaves the options limited for changing anything unless you work through one of the two major parties. Then you get there and realize you are restricted on what you can do there as well.

I think it borders very closely to disenfrachisement, myself, but, I am not a lawyer, nor is the justice system just, even if I were.

I am not saying this is the answer to 3rd part ballot access restrictions in GA or elsewhere, but these guys are "claiming" they will be on the ballot in all 50 states by election time for whomever is selected by their group. http://www.americanselect.org/ Ron Paul is leading all the Draft Candidates (and even all the Declared Candidates by over a 2:1 margin)

So should the GOP railroad us at every opportunity, and should RP accept, this might be an alternative IF they get on the ballot in all 50 states like they claim they will.

I don't know how much talk on the forums they have gotten already, as 3rd party is not really something of consideration, but if the GOP keeps playing dirty.....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/third-name-ballot-november-101947551.html - Watch video.

Paul or not at all
04-19-2012, 09:05 AM

But this may be freedom's last hurrah, and I won't be quitting* the GOP before the delegates are counted.

We need to stay in through next year to replace some of the leadership, there are several counties that are poised to elect Ron Paul supporters to the exec board in 2013.

Paul Or Nothing II
04-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Wow! More half the people were Paul-people & none were able to get in! :eek:

It would be foolish on our part to expect to just walk in one day & unseat people who have been there for years; things mostly don't work the way they "should" otherwise the world would be perfect At the end of the day, no matter what it is, we have to stick to it & invest efforts to see some actual rewards

Freedom isn't free

I am not saying this is the answer to 3rd part ballot access restrictions in GA or elsewhere, but these guys are "claiming" they will be on the ballot in all 50 states by election time for whomever is selected by their group. http://www.americanselect.org/ Ron Paul is leading all the Draft Candidates (and even all the Declared Candidates by over a 2:1 margin)

So should the GOP railroad us at every opportunity, and should RP accept, this might be an alternative IF they get on the ballot in all 50 states like they claim they will.

I don't know how much talk on the forums they have gotten already, as 3rd party is not really something of consideration, but if the GOP keeps playing dirty.....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-players-abc-news/third-name-ballot-november-101947551.html - Watch video.

Even Huntsman has 3000-odd people, where the hell did he get them from? :D

We need to stay in through next year to replace some of the leadership, there are several counties that are poised to elect Ron Paul supporters to the exec board in 2013.

Yes, patience & perseverance will pay, some of our people have already gotten in & if we stick through tough times & then we'll surely start taking over sooner or later :)

jt8025
04-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I was at the 1st District Convention and about 40% of the people there were Ron Paul supporters. So not enough for a majority but we were able to vote down stuff that needed a 2/3's vote such as ending discussion.

Because of this we were able to discuss the motion to close nominations and were able to convince the body that we should keep the nominations open. This was partly because I had the Convention Planning manual that said that they had to give "written notification" ... sent in the "mail" and they simply e-mailed most people and some did not receive the Call at all because of this. In the Call it said to submit resumes by April 6. Well if you didn't receive it, you didn't know that and therefore should be allowed to be nominated at the convention. Case won.

We nominated our people at every slot and lost most of them. Overall we got 1 Delegate out of 3 and 1 Alternate out of 3. The first vote was like 90 to 70 we lost but by the end of the convention some people had left and we took the last alternate slot with a 75 to 70 vote. The last slot had 8 people nominated for it. 3 out of the original 6 people on the "slate" were defeated. Two by our people and one by a non-Ron Paul supporter.

Funniest thing was one of the Newt people that was nominated from the floor was named:
Jimmy Carter

How funny would it have been to have a Republican Delegate from GA named Jimmy Carter.

XTreat
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't want to give away too much in a public forum but we did not do terrible in GA. We more than quadrupled the popular vote percentage in number of delegates and did even better in alternates. Even though all delegates are bound to Gingrich it's pretty safe to say the rest went to Romney.

Thor
04-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Even Huntsman has 3000-odd people, where the hell did he get them from? :D

Those are ALL the peeps that supported him as a GOP candidate. ;)

LatinsforPaul
04-19-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't want to give away too much in a public forum but we did not do terrible in GA. We more than quadrupled the popular vote percentage in number of delegates and did even better in alternates. Even though all delegates are bound to Gingrich it's pretty safe to say the rest went to Romney.

Approximately 20 delegates and 30 alternates?