PDA

View Full Version : Tancredo Commercial Coming Under Fire

Geronimo
11-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Even Youtube is considering it to be a little graphic.

This video or group may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community.

By clicking "Confirm", you are agreeing that all videos or groups flagged by the YouTube community will be viewable by this account.

The Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZBjXr5CWUI)

DrRich
11-15-2007, 06:08 AM
Its pretty damn sad that a politician has to use fear as a tool for getting elected.

user
11-15-2007, 06:08 AM
This is a ridiculous, stupid ad, and I don't think any Ron Paul supporters should even think about Tancredo as a second choice anymore. Even Ron Paul mentioned Tancredo positively (in an earlier Wolf Blitzer interview, I believe) and I doubt he would do that again after this ad.

CCTelander
11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
Doen't quite match up to this, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao) but Tancredo is giving it a good try.

user
11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
By the way, I don't think I've ever seen a political ad get flagged by YouTube users before.

user
11-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Doen't quite match up to this, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao) but Tancredo is giving it a good try.
Ah, the king of all ridiculous political ads. Unlike the largely irrelevant Tancredo ad, which will just make an actual fringe candidate look even worse, Daisy probably cost us a Goldwater presidency.

CCTelander
11-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Ah, the king of all ridiculous political ads. Unlike the largely irrelevant Tancredo ad, which will just make an actual fringe candidate look even worse, Daisy probably cost us a Goldwater presidency.

Blatant fear-mongering has always been a part of politics. Some just do it better than others. :mad:

apropos
11-15-2007, 07:25 AM
I don't have a login account for youtube. Could somebody give me the gist of the ad?

RJB
11-15-2007, 07:45 AM
To an extent, I agree. Both the neocons and the neolibs try to convince us that the Iran/Iraq border is more important that what's going on here at home.

However, the meladrama of the ad demonstrates the desparate nature of his campaign.

noxagol
11-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't have a login account for youtube. Could somebody give me the gist of the ad?

He talks about the danger of our open borders that it could let a terrorist in who is "frothing with anger" and he leaves a back pack at a bench in a shopping mall and it goes to black as you hear the sound of an explosion.

steph3n
11-15-2007, 08:44 AM
It is a good argument, our borders are so weak they can just walk across. All the fighting in the world "over there" won't prevent it if we don't focus on domestic policy matters.

noxagol
11-15-2007, 08:53 AM
It is a good argument, our borders are so weak they can just walk across. All the fighting in the world "over there" won't prevent it if we don't focus on domestic policy matters.

It is a valid point, but he goes about it in a very controversial way.

PaleoForPaul
11-15-2007, 09:12 AM
Its pretty damn sad that a politician has to use fear as a tool for getting elected.

Every politician uses fear in one way or another as a 'tool' for getting elected. It's not always as sinister as it sounds, often the politician believes the threat is real as well.

Do you really think Tancredo is just "Using fear as a tool" or do you think he actually believes what he asys?

When Ron Paul says the government is "Heading tward fascism" and we are in danger of losing our freedoms, do you think he's using fear as a tool, or that he believes what he says?

Now, plenty of people DO use fear as a tool, on purpose. For example, Democrats will often claim if Republicans are elected they will roll back civil rights, or some other nonsense. Typically they know better, but they know such statements will get people to the polls.

PaleoForPaul
11-15-2007, 09:14 AM
It is a valid point, but he goes about it in a very controversial way.

It was the right move. Tancredo is at 2%. He needs to get any kind of publicity he can to continue his campaign.

He is right too, if we were serious about security the first thing we would have done post 9/11 is secure our borders.

I have no problems with Mexican people coming here to work, but having an unsecured border after you've had foreigners sneak into your country to kill your civilians is bad policy.

SovereignMN
11-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I also think it was a good ad. Tancredo is so far back he needs lots of attention and the immigration issue to return to the forefront. This commercial does it. He's getting more people looking at his commercial and at least thinking about the immigration issue again.

BuddyRey
11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
This has to be one of the most ridiculous, hyperbolic, and unintentionally hilarious campaign ads ever. I put it right up there with Johnson's "Daisy Girl", Helms' "Hands", and Vernon Robinson's notorious campaign ad from '06 that made me ashamed of being a North Carolinian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azqgiDWyQ3c

Primbs
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
It is an issue. That is why some people call this the phony war. How can we be serious about fighting anybody when we leave the back door open.

Badger Paul
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I've seen the ad it doesn't come anywhere near the impact of the Daisy Ad. It's basically a typical voice-over ad with addition of the terrorist bomb going off. The problem is its being interpreted as a desperate act by a desperate campaign, so no one's focusing on the message except that its supposed to scare people. Had he run this ad say last August, when he was in a stronger position after Ames, then maybe the reaction might have been more favorable and the impact stronger.

The Daisy Ad only ran once and Johnson ran it when he was far ahead of Goldwater. He didn't even mention Goldwater's name but you got the picture pretty quick that voting for Johnson was a vote against nuclear war which people feared at the the time and which Goldwater gave the impression he was all for. That's why it worked.

LJHudd
11-15-2007, 12:36 PM

It was the right move. Tancredo is at 2%. He needs to get any kind of publicity he can to continue his campaign.

He is right too, if we were serious about security the first thing we would have done post 9/11 is secure our borders.

I have no problems with Mexican people coming here to work, but having an unsecured border after you've had foreigners sneak into your country to kill your civilians is bad policy.I agree.

The ad goes 'overboard' but - those who think that the only people coming over are from Mexico to work, are living in a dream world. I believe RP is right - 9/11 was blowback for our foreign policy. Do we know that we won't have blowback from Iraq and the continuation of that foreign policy? I do think that RP is in agreement with Tancredo over many things and his stand on illegal-immigration is one of them.

It is an issue. That is why some people call this the phony war. How can we be serious about fighting anybody when we leave the back door open.
Yep

Ncturnal
11-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Not only that, our country has imprisoned some of our very own border guards that did their job. Oh the irony.

Suzu
11-15-2007, 05:28 PM

You don't need to be logged in on youtube to watch videos there.

Ncturnal
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
You don't need to be logged in on youtube to watch videos there.

I think you do for the "over 18" content there.

Spirit of '76
11-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't see the big deal.

Nobody had better ads than Pat Buchanan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wBHPxxo7Q68

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUgTDmD4vW4

user
11-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't see the big deal.

Nobody had better ads than Pat Buchanan.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wBHPxxo7Q68

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pUgTDmD4vW4
"...press 12." Totally wrong and makes no sense but hilarious!