PDA

View Full Version : April 19, 1775 and April 19, 2012

KEEF
04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
From the Humble Libertarian...
April 19, 1775, should be regarded as important a date to Americans as July 4, 1776. It’s a shame that we don’t celebrate it as enthusiastically as we do Independence Day. It’s even more shameful that many Americans don’t even remember what happened on this day back in 1775. For the record, historians call this day, “Patriot’s Day.” More specifically, it was the day that the shot was fired that was heard ’round the world. It was the day America’s War for Independence began. Being warned of approaching British troops by Dr. James Warren, Pastor Jonas Clark and his male congregants of the Church of Lexington (numbering 60-70) were the ones that stood with their muskets in front of the Crown’s troops (numbering over 800), who were on orders to seize a cache of arms which were stored at Concord and to arrest Sam Adams and John Hancock (who were known to be in the area, and who had actually taken refuge in Pastor Clark’s home). According to eyewitnesses, the king’s troops opened fire on the militiamen almost without warning, immediately killing eight of Pastor Clark’s parishioners. In self defense, the Minutemen returned fire. These were the first shots of the Revolutionary War. This took place on Lexington Green, which was located directly beside the church-house where those men worshipped each Sunday. Adams and Hancock were not taken. They owed their lives to Pastor Clark and his brave Minutemen--albeit eight of those men gave their lives protecting Adams and Hancock.

April 19th, 2012 is tomorrow, and I am feeling like donating again to help Dr. Paul send a second shot hear 'round the world.

dannno
04-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Lots of stuff happens on that day, and the day after.

heavenlyboy34
04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Not a fan of that war :p, but a good excuse for a money bomb. :)

cstarace
04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Not a fan of the Revolutionary War? :confused:

dannno
04-18-2012, 04:58 PM

I dunno, from the story above it sounds like it was an act of self defense.

TruckinMike
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Not a fan of that war :p...

Neither was Captain John Parker:

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." On the green April 19, 1775

“I ... ordered our Militia to meet on the Common in said Lexington to consult what to do, and concluded not to be discovered, nor meddle or make with said Regular Troops (if they should approach) unless they should insult or molest us; and, upon their sudden Approach, I immediately ordered our Militia to disperse, and not to fire:—Immediately said Troops made their appearance and rushed furiously, fired upon, and killed eight of our Party without receiving any Provocation therefor from us.”[46][47].

— John Parker