PDA

View Full Version : Forget global warming: Scientists discover glaciers in Asian mountain range are actually g

donnay
04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Forget global warming: Scientists discover glaciers in Asian mountain range are actually getting BIGGER

Ian Garland (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2130184/Forget-global-warming-Scientists-discover-glaciers-Asia-getting-BIGGER.html)
MailOnline
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 16:16 CDT

Photos taken by a French satellite show glaciers in a mountain range west of the Himalayas have grown during the last decade.

The growing glaciers were found in the Karakoram range, which spans the borders between Pakistan, India and China and is home to the world's second highest peak, K2.

The startling find has baffled scientists and comes at a time when glaciers in other parts of the region, and across the world, are shrinking.

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s4/99753/large/article_0_02889D4D0000044D_846.jpg

French scientists from the National Centre for Scientific Research and the University of Grenoble, were forced to rely on satellite images, to study the region - because much of the Karakoram range is inaccessible.

They compared observations made in 1999 and 2008 and found a marginal mass increase.

They estimated the glaciers had gained between 0.11 and 0.22 metres of ice each year.

The researchers are unsure why the region bucks the global trend - but they know from other studies in other parts of the world that in very cold regions, like the Karakoram range, climate change can cause extra precipitation, which then freezes and adds to ice mass.

Lead reseacher Julie Gardelle told BBC News: 'We don't really know the reason. Right now we believe that it could be due to a very specific regional climate over Karakoram because there have been meteorological measurements showing increased winter precipitation; but that's just a guess at this stage.'

Stephan Harrison, associate professor in quaternary science at the UK's University of Exeter, said the new research had showed there is 'considerable variability' in the global climate and in how glaciers respond to it.

The Karakoram glaciers are also unusual because they are covered with thick layers of rock debris, which means their patterns of melting and mass gain are driven by changes in that debris as well as in the climate.

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s4/99754/large/article_2130184_129CC1E3000005.jpg

Harrison said much of their mass gain also comes from avalanches from the high mountains surrounding them.

'Overall, the impact of melting glaciers such as these on sea level rise is known to be negligible, but it does mean that there is much more to be learnt about exactly how the world's glaciers will respond to continued global warming.'

The findings provide welcome respite at a time when glaciers across the globe are shrinking at a rapid rate.

A study of the neighbouring Himalayas in 2011 found the rate of ice loss in glaciers - which provide fresh water for around 1.3 billion people - has doubled since the 1980s.

Danke
04-17-2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.argentconsulting.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/lalala-i-cant-hear-you.jpg

specsaregood
04-17-2012, 08:56 AM
The researchers are unsure why the region bucks the global trend - but they know from other studies in other parts of the world that in very cold regions, like the Karakoram range, climate change can cause extra precipitation, which then freezes and adds to ice mass.

Did this writer just say that a climate changing in a cold region might cause extra precipitation? This is news to some?

Or did he just use "climate change" as a PC noun since "global warming" is the new N-word?

ctiger2
04-17-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't know why it's so hard to comprehend that the earth is a ultra dynamic ecosystem and weather patterns over time are constantly changing. What is happening now is nothing new and will continue to happen FOREVER whether humans are on the earth or not.

donnay
04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Did this writer just say that a climate changing in a cold region might cause extra precipitation? This is news to some?

Or did he just use "climate change" as a PC noun since "global warming" is the new N-word?

Climate change, the way I see it is REAL. It's just not real in the sense that it is man-made. Those that try to sell global warming as man-made are nothing more than conspiracy theorists, IMHO.

Acala
04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't know why it's so hard to comprehend that the earth is a ultra dynamic ecosystem and weather patterns over time are constantly changing. What is happening now is nothing new and will continue to happen FOREVER whether humans are on the earth or not.

Yup.

Any scientist who claims to understand the dynamics of the extremely complex and chaotic global climate enough to make predictions years in the future is either a fool or a liar and, for practical purposes, it doesn't matter which.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Climate change, the way I see it is REAL. It's just not real in the sense that it is man-made. Those that try to sell global warming as man-made are nothing more than conspiracy theorists, IMHO. There's no doubt we have an affect on our environment, but it was grossly exaggerated. To say we don't affect it at all is just plain ignorant. I.E. chemicals that eat the ozone.

puppetmaster
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM

yep.

If you look even causally at the planets topography you see formations that were formed from massive weather events that do not exist in a short term view. We live in a dynamic universe.

Now I also support the idea of "you don't shit where ya eat"

Brian4Liberty
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM

Interestingly, it can also decrease precipitation. Such a complex thing this climate "change". I better go close the window, the climate is changing in my house.

Sola_Fide
04-17-2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.argentconsulting.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/lalala-i-cant-hear-you.jpg

lol

BucksforPaul
04-17-2012, 11:45 PM
These scientists (that's what they call themselves) cannot accurately predict the weather five days out yet they expect us to believe their predictions for what will supposedly happen years down the line. Lol

BuddyRey
04-18-2012, 12:07 AM
It actually won't be too much longer before we're in another ice age. Humanity's gonna be f***ed then, unless we're living in underground, solar-heated bunkers.