PDA

View Full Version : FBI Evidence Screw-Ups Hidden in Hundreds of Cases

donnay
04-17-2012, 08:17 AM
FBI Evidence Screw-Ups Hidden in Hundreds of Cases
Some defendants left to rot in prison, or executed
By Kevin Spak (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/convicted-defendants-left-uninformed-of-forensic-flaws-found-by-justice-dept/2012/04/16/gIQAWTcgMT_story.html), Newser Staff

(Newser) – Prosecutors have failed to notify hundreds of defendants and their attorneys about faulty FBI forensics work that may exonerate them, according to an in-depth Washington Post investigation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/convicted-defendants-left-uninformed-of-forensic-flaws-found-by-justice-dept/2012/04/16/gIQAWTcgMT_story.html). The Justice Department spent nine years—from 1996 to 2004—conducting what it calls an "exhaustive" review of 13 agents' forensic work from the 1990s, and found more than 250 questionable cases. But it only revealed that information to prosecutors, and in more than half of those cases, prosecutors kept that information to themselves, the Post discovered. It also found that the DOJ only reviewed the hair and fiber work of one FBI agent, though it was told other examiners' work in that discipline should be questioned.

In one case, prosecutors left a convicted murderer in prison for 12 years after discovering that work leading to his conviction was flawed, before DNA testing finally exonerated him. In another, a man was executed before the DOJ got around to examining his case. The problem with hair analysis, the Post explains, is that there's no consensus on how many common characteristics are needed to "match" two samples. In one case, the Post found that an analyst only matched three—that the hair was black, human, and from an African American—but implied to the jury that he'd used "around 15," and that mistaken matches were "very rare." DNA evidence shows the defendant was almost definitely innocent.

azxd
04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Call Holder

ninepointfive
04-17-2012, 08:31 AM
FBI Evidence Screw-Ups Hidden in Hundreds of Cases
Some defendants left to rot in prison, or executed
By Kevin Spak (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/convicted-defendants-left-uninformed-of-forensic-flaws-found-by-justice-dept/2012/04/16/gIQAWTcgMT_story.html), Newser Staff

(Newser) – Prosecutors have failed to notify hundreds of defendants and their attorneys about faulty FBI forensics work that may exonerate them, according to an in-depth Washington Post investigation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/convicted-defendants-left-uninformed-of-forensic-flaws-found-by-justice-dept/2012/04/16/gIQAWTcgMT_story.html). The Justice Department spent nine years—from 1996 to 2004—conducting what it calls an "exhaustive" review of 13 agents' forensic work from the 1990s, and found more than 250 questionable cases. But it only revealed that information to prosecutors, and in more than half of those cases, prosecutors kept that information to themselves, the Post discovered. It also found that the DOJ only reviewed the hair and fiber work of one FBI agent, though it was told other examiners' work in that discipline should be questioned.

In one case, prosecutors left a convicted murderer in prison for 12 years after discovering that work leading to his conviction was flawed, before DNA testing finally exonerated him. In another, a man was executed before the DOJ got around to examining his case. The problem with hair analysis, the Post explains, is that there's no consensus on how many common characteristics are needed to "match" two samples. In one case, the Post found that an analyst only matched three—that the hair was black, human, and from an African American—but implied to the jury that he'd used "around 15," and that mistaken matches were "very rare." DNA evidence shows the defendant was almost definitely innocent.

wow - just wow.

donnay
04-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Two words: Jury Nullification!! (http://www.letsgetfreethebook.com/jurorsforjustice/powertothepeople-whatisjurynullification.html)

tod evans
04-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Two words: Jury Nullification!! (http://www.letsgetfreethebook.com/jurorsforjustice/powertothepeople-whatisjurynullification.html)

Over 90% of federal criminal convictions have never seen a jury.

donnay
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Over 90% of federal criminal convictions have never seen a jury.

True. That is why people need to learn their rights and know they have a right to a jury!!

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Danke
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Why I am against the death penalty.

donnay
04-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Absolutely!! +rep

phill4paul
04-17-2012, 08:56 AM

I was once pro-death penalty until I began learning of police misconduct, tampered evidence and faulty DNA evidence. These days I stand with you on being against the death penalty.

donnay
04-17-2012, 11:07 AM
//

tod evans
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I was once pro-death penalty until I began learning of police misconduct, tampered evidence and faulty DNA evidence. These days I stand with you on being against the death penalty.

Many prisoners would choose death over a lengthy prison term.

I'm for availing the prisoner of that option.......not the state.

Lucille
04-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Balko (http://www.theagitator.com/2012/04/17/convicted-defendants-left-uninformed-of-forensic-flaws-found-by-justice-dept/):

But I mean holy hell. This ought to be pictchforks-in-the-streets stuff.
[...]
If it isn’t there already, the next sentence should put your chin on the floor.

Justice Department officials said that they met their legal and constitutional obligations when they learned of specific errors, that they alerted prosecutors and were not required to inform defendants directly.

I mean, think about that. Taxpayer-paid employees of the Justice Department had direct and exclusive knowledge that there may be hundreds of innocent people in prison, they knew that flawed forensics in these cases needed to be reviewed, and their justification for not doing more as these people continued to rot in prison was, Hey, we did the bare minimum required of us by law.
[...]
But even beyond the problematic ethical requirements, I’m having a hard time fathoming how no one on this task force felt morally compelled to go beyond those requirements—to, you know, actually reach out defense attorneys, or attempt to actually reach the convicts or their families. How in the world can you possess this sort of information, then still sleep at night, year after year, knowing that (a) the information obviously isn’t reaching the people who have an incentive to actually put it to use, (b) you’re one of the few people who could make that happen, and (c) because the information was only available to select group of people, if you or one of your colleagues doesn’t act, no one else will?

I’m obviously fairly skeptical of government. And the criminal justice system is loaded with bad incentives. But I can’t really even think of what poorly-structured incentive would have prevented the members of this task force from doing more than the bare minimum that was required of them. It isn’t as if they were personally responsible for these mistakes. The mind boggles at the mental firewalls an otherwise decent person would have to construct to know this was happening, and still do nothing to stop it.

They're not decent. They're f'n evil, and that's how they can sleep at night.

phill4paul
04-17-2012, 04:56 PM
They're not decent. They're f'n evil, and that's how they can sleep at night.

Just in case anyone didn't catch that.

QuickZ06
04-17-2012, 05:59 PM
There is nothing wrong with our justice system, we have lots and lots of "bad" people in jail.....see it is working. :rolleyes:

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 10:37 PM

Goddamn right!!!

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
And now you know, how good, decent, upstanding German volk knowingly signed the documents, processed the paperwork, stamped the travel certifications and did all the other trivial management tasks that sent 12 million people to mass graves.

Indeed, now you know how it was done in the USSR, in China, in Africa in South America and soon, here.

Mild mannered "civil servants" and "brave policemen" doing their jobs and civic and patriotic duty.

And they all went home and slept well each night.

A moral compass to denounce, and the outrage that accompanies, these daily petty tyrannies are unique to our happy little band of refuseniks.

To most people it doesn't even enter their mind.

Because you see, most people do not want liberty, nor freedom nor even justice. They want want people throughout mankind's history have always wanted: to be fed, entertained and, if possible, to exercise petty power over their fellow man.

And you'll rot in jail before anybody takes a risk at upsetting that.

But even beyond the problematic ethical requirements, I’m having a hard time fathoming how no one on this task force felt morally compelled to go beyond those requirements—to, you know, actually reach out to defense attorneys, or attempt to actually reach the convicts or their families.

How in the world can you possess this sort of information, then still sleep at night, year after year, knowing that (a) the information obviously isn’t reaching the people who have an incentive to actually put it to use, (b) you’re one of the few people who could make that happen, and (c) because the information was only available to select group of people, if you or one of your colleagues doesn’t act, no one else will?

I’m obviously fairly skeptical of government. And the criminal justice system is loaded with bad incentives. But I can’t really even think of what poorly-structured incentive would have prevented the members of this task force from doing more than the bare minimum that was required of them. It isn’t as if they were personally responsible for these mistakes. The mind boggles at the mental firewalls an otherwise decent person would have to construct to know this was happening, and still do nothing to stop it.

donnay
04-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Because you see, most people do not want liberty, nor freedom nor even justice. They want want people throughout mankind's history have always wanted: to be fed, entertained and, if possible, to exercise petty power over their fellow man.

Most people do not really know about liberty. Most people, unbeknownst to them, have been pushed through the public [gruel] school system, and fed complete lies, and disinformation (all done by design). "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it." They also had their bodies filled with the same poisons (sodium fluoride (http://www.infiniteunknown.net/2010/10/31/fluoride-a-chronological-history/)) that 12 million people were given back in the 1930's, in the concentration camps. Is it any wonder why so many people docilely went to their deaths? Why so few fought back?

This is one of the reasons why I respect and admire Dr. Paul. I respect the fact that he has put his life on the line to give the people the message of liberty--to make them think. Not all who hear the message will immediately jump on board, but Dr. Paul has planted the seeds in many peoples minds. But most importantly, those of us who are awake, it is our job, it is our duty, to help Dr. Paul shake and awake the sleeping giant. We must be just as vigilant and just as committed to the cause of Liberty as Dr. Paul has been--regardless of what others think or say. Many good people, throughout history were castigated, besmirched and sullied by those who did not know or seek the truth! Ignorant people are riddled throughout history.

Someone had the fortitude to wake us up, just as this story is exposing the evils of a tyrannical system. The cause of liberty is always been an uphill battle. Giving up is never an option once you have taken the red pill, so to speak. Our jobs are to make sure that people know the truth about liberty and break them free from the mental prison they were put in!

Anti Federalist
04-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Someone had the fortitude to wake us up, just as this story is exposing the evils of a tyrannical system. The cause of liberty is always been an uphill battle. Giving up is never an option once you have taken the red pill, so to speak. Our jobs are to make sure that people know the truth about liberty and break them free from the mental prison they were put in!

Never spoke of "giving up" just realizing the truth of the situation and acting accordingly.

If we are waiting around for a mass awakening, that, through efforts in "education" and outreach that there will be a massive majority of people committed to liberty at some point in the future is, frankly a pipe dream, given what I consider to be a truth of human nature.

We, the minority, must take our freedom, and drag the apathetic and uncaring along behind us, kicking and screaming if need be, and pay no mind to their protestations.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2012, 10:49 PM
blimp

phill4paul
04-18-2012, 10:51 PM
blimp

???

I thought this was /thread.....

We, the minority, must take our freedom, and drag the apathetic and uncaring along behind us, kicking and screaming if need be, and pay no mind to their protestations.

donnay
04-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Never spoke of "giving up" just realizing the truth of the situation and acting accordingly.

If we are waiting around for a mass awakening, that, through efforts in "education" and outreach that there will be a massive majority of people committed to liberty at some point in the future is, frankly a pipe dream, given what I consider to be a truth of human nature.

I wasn't directing it at you per se, that was a general statement. But I know how frustrating it is sometimes to keep focused. ;) I know you'll never give up, nor will I.

Personally, I think there is a mass awakening happening right now. The problem is, the mass can easily fall back to sleep or a false flag will easily scare them back into submission. We saw what happened after 9/11. It is our duty to continue to expose the criminals!!

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
~Samuel Adams