PDA

View Full Version : TX - Cop, responding to 911 call, goes to wrong address, shoots family dog dead.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Thumbnail:

Cop charges off to respond to 911 "domestic violence" call.

Wrong address is given, cop shows up to wrong address.

Draws his weapon on a man at his truck in the driveway.

Dog comes from the back yard, where the owner was just playing with him, and starts barking and challenging intruder with a gun on his master.

Cop shoots dog dead.

A Texas man claims that his beloved dog Cisco was shot point blank by a police officer who responded to a call at the wrong address.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-man-claims-police-killed-dog-cisco-responding/story?id=16150874#.T4z4PFtNquM

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ht_cisco_the_dog_killed_thg_120416_wg.jpg

Michael Paxton, 40, said he and his Australian cattle dog Cisco were relaxing and playing Frisbee in his Austin backyard on Saturday afternoon when he decided to go get something from his truck in the driveway.

As he approached his truck, he said he saw something from the corner of his eye and looked up to see a police officer who immediately drew his weapon and told Paxton to put his hands up.

"He had a Taser. He had pepper spray. I don't understand why, in broad daylight, he pulled a gun on me. I wasn't running. I wasn't hiding," Paxton told ABCNews.com today. "I was just saying, 'I live here.' I was panicking. I was afraid for my life."

Paxton said he heard Cisco, who weighed about 50 pounds, barking and coming towards him from the backyard.

"I said, 'Don't shoot him. Don't shoot my dog. He won't bite you.' But he shot him, just like that. It all happened in under 30 seconds," Paxton said. "There was no attack on the officer other than barking and challenging him."

Austin Police Cpl. Anthony Hipolito told ABCNews. com that the officer did respond to the wrong address, but it was the address provided by the 911 call. The call came from the house next to Paxton's.

Hipolito said that dashcam footage shows the dog barking and attacking the officer.

"The officer was basically in retreat and asked the owner to grab the dog," Hipolito said. "He was unable to and the dog continued to attack and that's when the officer discharged his firearm."

An apology was issued at the scene, according to Hipolito, but Paxton said no one apologized to him.

"Officers have to do everything they can to protect themselves, up to and including the use of deadly force," Hipolito said. "It's something that we don't ever want to do. To shoot and kill an animal is very unfortunate and tragic. The officer is distraught and did not want to do it, but at the same time, he had to protect himself."

As a shocked and horrified Paxton stared down at his dog's lifeless body, he said he was confused when the officer started asking him if he had a girlfriend.

"I was saying, 'You just killed my dog. I can't believe you just killed my dog. What is going on?'" Paxton recalled.

Paxton said the officer said he was responding to a domestic issue report of a man choking a woman. Paxton does not have a girlfriend and believes the report came from his neighbor's house.

Paxton said the officer did not apologize and when his sergeant arrived, he was unsympathetic and told Paxton the officer was within his right to shoot the dog. He said he has not heard from the police since the incident.

"I was in shock for probably almost 24 hours," Paxton said, choking up. "I wasn't crying at that point, but when I picked my dog up out of the driveway, I lost it."

Paxton's friends started a Facebook page called "Justice for Cisco" that has nearly 14,000 supporters. Hundreds of people have left messages of support, outrage and anger.

"How heartbreaking and so uncalled for. Tears just fall for the fallen. So very sorry for your lost over a mistaken address," one supporter wrote.

Another wrote: "How dare any officer make a mistake & not apologize? If that were a citizen they would be made to apologize immediately. A life was taken & even though some might look at it only being a dog; it was somebody's pet that they loved dearly."

"The only thing that has brought me comfort is the response and outpouring of emotion for him," Paxton said. "I'm sure he heard the yelling. He's a dog. This is his territory. He's going to be territorial to some extent. To me, it's pretty typical dog behavior. He's not a viscious dog. He was a good boy. He was a real good boy."

QuickZ06
04-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Hmmm, one of there comrades has fallen recently and now more and more stories like this are popping up from Texas....interesting.

kcchiefs6465
04-17-2012, 12:03 AM
There is another thread that has the contact information of said police station. I am a little lazy tonight or I would post it. On another note, is there ever a day this doesn't happen? Between this and "He committed a felony" I am about as disgusted as I could be.

Stupified
04-17-2012, 12:05 AM
How do we go about fighting against this without violence? I feel like justice rarely, if ever, gets served in these cases so what can we do?

kcchiefs6465
04-17-2012, 12:09 AM
How do we go about fighting against this without violence? I feel like justice rarely, if ever, gets served in these cases so what can we do?
I just hope a picture or article goes "viral." Maybe then, they won't be able to hide from the shitstorm that should hit them.

Stupified
04-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Or maybe Anti Federalist just needs his own TV show on FOX News!

CrimeTime with Anti-Fed!

tttppp
04-17-2012, 12:12 AM
How can cops be so dumb? I've had numerous dogs I didn't know charge and bark at me, and it doesn't phase me.

RickyJ
04-17-2012, 12:24 AM
How can cops be so dumb? I've had numerous dogs I didn't know charge and bark at me, and it doesn't phase me.

That is by design. They make them take a test before they can become a cop, if they score too high they are disqualified. I know that sounds crazy and is the exact opposite of what most people thought anyone would want, but average to below average people in intelligence is exactly what the police force is looking for when it comes to new recruits.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 12:38 AM
This isn't Ron Paul related, but it needs attention.

http://exm.nr/IVR9sq - includes contact info for the city officials and Austin police department. PLEASE start calling and emailing!

Help get 'Justice for Cisco', a dog wrongly killed in Austin

"It seems there was an incident in Austin, Texas on Saturday where police responded to a domestic disturbance call but went to the wrong house. While at the wrong house, the police allegedly killed Cisco, a man's dog, for barking.

Please help get "Justice For Cisco" by joining the Facebook fan page. You can also contact the Austin Police Department and let them know what happened to Cisco was wrong. As pet owners, we have a responsibility to care for our animals as they cannot understand many human situations. This police officer should have known better than to shot a poor, barking dog.

The contact number for the Austin Police Department is (512) 974-5253

A Facebook photo is currently being passed around that explains exactly what happened to poor Cisco. Candace Michele writes the following:

I am usually not one to get into the politics of people’s opinions of law enforcement. I know there are good and bad people in every walk of life, but I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to those that are in a position to “protect and serve”. But yesterday, a harsh reality was “served” when I received a phone call from a very near and dear person to me. The words I heard coming through my phone were nothing I would have expected in a million years—a very distraught voice saying, “The cops just shot and killed Cisco! They killed my best friend!” In shock, I asked what had happened. At the time, I only got a very brief description, as Michael Paxton was in shock and traumatized over the horrific loss of his dog. I immediately drove to his place (which is about 30 minutes away). When I arrived, I found him clutching Cisco’s body, crying and trying to understand what had just transpired.

Apparently, unbeknown to Mike, there was a domestic disturbance between a male and a female in his neighborhood, and the Austin Police Dept was called in. Unfortunately (seems like such an understatement), Mike found out quickly about the call when he walked into his driveway from his back yard where he and Cisco, his Australian Sheppard, had been playing frisbee. Police officer T. Griffin, Badge #6778, was standing behind Mike’s vehicle, in his driveway. Before Mike even realized Officer Griffin was there, the officer had pulled his gun on Mike, yelling at him to freeze and put his hands up. In a panic, Mike stated to the officer that he lives there, and asked what and why this was happening.

Hearing the commotion, Cisco came from the back yard and into the driveway, barking at the officer, as any dog would do. Mike’s hands in the air, a gun pointed at him, he was afraid for his life, and therefore could not move or attempt to quiet or restrain Cisco. He told the officer that Cisco would not bite him, to please not shoot his dog. Almost immediately, a bullet was put into Cisco’s chest, killing him instantly. Mike still leaned against his truck, unable to move, was not allowed to even hold his best friend as he took the last breath of his abruptly-shortened life.

As was realized after this horrific event had transpired, THE COP WAS AT THE WRONG ADDRESS!!! An innocent man was traumatized by not only having a gun pulled on him by someone that is supposed to be there “to protect and to serve”, but his best friend of seven-and-a-half years was wrongly shot and killed. FOR WHAT?! Because Officer Griffin did not confirm where he was supposed to be before these events transpired!
Nothing will likely happen to Officer Griffin for any of this, as his supervisor arrived after everything took place, and she defended his actions. Mike was given the officers’ information, as well as a phone number to call, if desired. No apologies, no sympathy. Nothing. The officer even told Mike that Cisco should have been on a leash! IN HIS OWN YARD?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

We ended up taking Cisco’s body to be buried at a friend’s house, out in the country. Four of us spent two hours digging and breaking through limestone-filled ground, to make a hole large enough to lay to rest this man’s best friend and companion.
There are so many things wrong with this situation, that I just can’t even express it in words. My heart aches for you Mike. I know how much you love Cisco, and how much Cisco loved you. Although I am not sure what justice can or will be served in this case, your story will not go unheard. Along with many of your friends, in an effort to gain some sort of justice for you and Cisco, I am tagging all of our local news media here to get the word out.

This type of excessive force has GOT to be stopped. There needs to be consequences for behaviors such as this. There needs to be a system of “checks and balances” used, to be certain this type of thing doesn’t happen anymore—none of this would have occurred, had the officer just VERIFIED THE CORRECT ADDRESS before pulling a gun on Mike and his dog. I urge anyone and everyone that reads this, to please share this story, and let it be known that these happenings aren’t just things we read about going on in some “other city”, but right here, seriously affecting people we know and love.

If you want further information, please feel free to contact Mike directly. He is looking for any help he can get in seeking justice for his dog’s unwarranted killing."

The article includes links to email the police department and the city officials in Austin.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 12:39 AM
There is another thread that has the contact information of said police station. I am a little lazy tonight or I would post it. On another note, is there ever a day this doesn't happen? Between this and "He committed a felony" I am about as disgusted as I could be.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?372185-Call-to-action-need-you-to-send-an-email!

tttppp
04-17-2012, 01:16 AM
That is by design. They make them take a test before they can become a cop, if they score too high they are disqualified. I know that sounds crazy and is the exact opposite of what most people thought anyone would want, but average to below average people in intelligence is exactly what the police force is looking for when it comes to new recruits.

Thats because most of the time they sit around doing nothing. They need to find people comfortable doing nothing with their life.

TheTexan
04-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Hipolito said that dashcam footage shows the dog barking and attacking the officer.

Officer Hipolito said that? :rolleyes:

Even if this is true (a stretch by any measure), he still drew the gun and initiated force for no reason, and the consequences of that are his responsibility, and he needs to be held accountable for his recklessness.

DamianTV
04-17-2012, 01:28 AM

+Rep!

Oddly enough, the person that performs the worst at any given job is the most likely to be promoted. The ones that excel at their assigned tasks usually get stuck in those positions because they do them so well that it is an incentive for the employer to keep them there rather than promote them!

As far as "smart cops", the smart ones usually are the first ones to wake up and see through the lies, they understand why they are being told to do certain things, and they are the first ones to "buck the system". They wake up and understand that their "superiors" are not truly superior in any way shape or form, but implied as superiors because they are merely higher ranking. They begin to understand that because by themselves, the Higher Ranking Persons that do the issuing of the orders have less power over them than they think. And when they are fully awakend and realize that there is no actual "Chain of Command", but merely a "Chain of Obedience", those awakened people then become a real threat to the Status Quo. And that scares the shit out of their so-called "Superiors". Why? Because the "Chains of Obedience" have been cast aside, which makes the awakened free man Uncontrollable.

TheTexan
04-17-2012, 01:40 AM

Phase 1) Spread the message of freedom wide and far --- Check
Phase 2) Acknowledge that a minority strongly desires freedom, and the majority strongly opposes freedom --- In Progress
Phase 3) Recognizing this, there is only one outcome: separation; either through peaceful secession, or violent revolution --- Inevitable

The FSP has a head start on this process, so most likely when we do take our freedom back, NH is where the party will be at.

speciallyblend
04-17-2012, 01:55 AM
this rips my heart out:( i swear if a cop ever shoots my dogs . I guess i will be next cause i would never stand for it. They can shot me next because i would have no mercy on that cop until they killed me!

HigherVision
04-17-2012, 02:48 AM
This is why we must work to eventually privatize the police and dissolve the government completely, not just restore the constitution.

pcosmar
04-17-2012, 06:01 AM
This is why we must work to eventually privatize the police and dissolve the government completely, not just restore the constitution.

NO. Private Police are still police. Lose the concept entirely. Police are by their very nature an Authoritarian Control Mechanism.
They are utterly unnecessary and are contrary to the principles of liberty.

If you want private security for your self or your business, fine. The second that they overstep their bounds and violate the rights of others they should be subject to criminal prosecution,, as should anyone.

tod evans
04-17-2012, 06:07 AM

Looking for justice in the courts isn't going to happen.

Remember it's the "Just-Us" system....

pcosmar
04-17-2012, 06:20 AM

:(
/thread
/Many threads<comments>
/kneel
/cry
/pray
:mad:

Schifference
04-17-2012, 07:29 AM
So what happens when I have my concealed weapons permit and I pull into a driveway feel threatened by a dog and shoot it dead fearing for my safety? Would the police understand that I was just protecting myself or would I be facing all kinds of charges?

tod evans
04-17-2012, 07:31 AM
So what happens when I have my concealed weapons permit and I pull into a driveway feel threatened by a dog and shoot it dead fearing for my safety? Would the police understand that I was just protecting myself or would I be facing all kinds of charges?

Depends on who owns the dog.....

azxd
04-17-2012, 08:23 AM
:(
/thread
There will just be another fanatic thread tomorrow.

pcosmar
04-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Depends on who owns the dog.....

It would be up to the property owner who you should be facing at this point. And he would have a perfect right to terminate you as a direct threat. Or he could offer mercy or an equitable agreement on your trespass.

It would be up to the property owner.

XTreat
04-17-2012, 08:32 AM
\\

tod evans
04-17-2012, 08:35 AM
It would be up to the property owner.

I said that sarcastically........If he shot a cop or politicians dog the penalties would be different than if he shot my dog.

phill4paul
04-17-2012, 08:43 AM
I said that sarcastically........If he shot a cop or politicians dog the penalties would be different than if he shot my dog.

Correct, if he were a cops dog that would be assault on an officer as k-9 dogs are considered L.E. . As far as a politicians, even they can't stem the tide of dog killings made by L.E.

The Berwyn Heights mayor's residence drug raid was a controversial action taken by the Prince George's County, Maryland, Sheriff's Office and Police Department at the home of Berwyn Heights mayor Cheye Calvo on July 29, 2008. The raid was the culmination of an investigation that began in Arizona, where a package containing 32 pounds of marijuana was intercepted in a Fed Ex warehouse, addressed to the mayor's residence. In spite of intercepting the package in transit, the police allowed the package to be delivered, and once the package arrived at the house, a SWAT team raided and took the mayor and his mother-in-law into custody, killing his two dogs in the process.
The event gained national and international media attention. While the Calvos were cleared of wrongdoing, the police were accused by the Calvos and civil rights groups of lacking a proper search warrant, excessive force, and failure to conduct a proper background investigation of the home being raided. Despite the criticisms, no action has been taken against the officers or their respective police departments. In August 2010, Sheriff Jackson stated, “we'd do it again. Tonight.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwyn_Heights,_Maryland_mayor's_residence_drug_ra id

If a mayor can't find Justice what chance do you think an average Joe is gonna get?

Pericles
04-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Austin: Texas liberals import more liberals from California in order to replicate San Francisco. Th complete the process, a police chief was hired from California.

This is the result.

1stAmendguy
04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Just think, if a police dog was shot and killed at point blank range by a "civilian" this story would be receiving a lot more attention from the media.

1stAmendguy
04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Oh by the way where's PETA at?...:rolleyes: lol Judging by past incidences of ridiculous perceived animal rights violations they've protested, PETA should be outraged about this.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 11:45 AM
There will just be another fanatic thread tomorrow.

There sure will, and another one the day after that, and the day after that and the day after that, until I get banned, get carted off or die.

Because this is happening just about every single day now.

And as the noose tightens, and as more cops go to a war footing, it will happen more and more.

It's called a "police state" for a reason.

tod evans
04-17-2012, 11:49 AM

Oh you're just paranoid;)

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Oh you're just paranoid;)

And a cop hater.

azxd
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
There sure will, and another one the day after that, and the day after that and the day after that, until I get banned, get carted off or die.

And as the noose tightens, and as more cops go to a war footing, it will happen more and more.

It's called a "police state" for a reason.All things are possible :rolleyes:

jkr
04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
And a cop hater.

ME TOO!

did you get the decoder ring or shirt?

oh what a bunch of vaginas...

seraphson
04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Now for the important question. When will man become considered a dog to the law? Perhaps we're closer than you think.

Pericles
04-17-2012, 01:40 PM

The other alternative is that we win.

QuickZ06
04-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Now for the important question. When will man become considered a dog to the law? Perhaps we're closer than you think.

Pretty sure I read an article a while back, talking about how we are classified as "animals" in some laws currently on the books. Besides most cops think we are all scum of the earth b.c we are not one of them.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Pretty sure I read an article a while back, talking about how we are classified as "animals" in some laws currently on the books. Besides most cops think we are all scum of the earth b.c we are not one of them.

Certainly a cop dog's life is legally regarded as "higher" than a Mundane's.

QuickZ06
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Certainly a cop dog's life is legally regarded as "higher" than a Mundane's.

Civilian dogs=bad

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7478/images5cchaney01.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/images5cchaney01.jpg/)

Cop dogs=good

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2583/g3118507011.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/g3118507011.jpg/)

Problem......

TheTexan
04-17-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUzpNDSLHPY&feature=player_embedded#!

lol sounds like the cop said "OH LOOK THERES A DOG [BANG!]"

TheTexan
04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
00:00-00:14 {silence.. nothing happening}
00:14 "SHOW ME YOUR HANDS"
00:16 "GET YOUR DOG"
00:17 BANG

Three fucking seconds between the start of the encounter and him shooting the dog.

THREE SECONDS

TheTexan
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
DANGEROUS THREAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCcB-gEsCbc

DamianTV
04-17-2012, 08:39 PM
NO. Private Police are still police. Lose the concept entirely. Police are by their very nature an Authoritarian Control Mechanism.
They are utterly unnecessary and are contrary to the principles of liberty.

If you want private security for your self or your business, fine. The second that they overstep their bounds and violate the rights of others they should be subject to criminal prosecution,, as should anyone.

+Rep!

In the current situation, some Police positions on the force are Elected Positions. The Privatization of the Police would remove ALL accountability they would be held to.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Three fucking seconds between the start of the encounter and him shooting the dog.

THREE SECONDS

"Why didn't you get your dog when I told you to!"

"I didn't know you were here, you pulled a gun on me and told me to put my hands up, what was I supposed to do?!!"

Jesus fucking christ...

kcchiefs6465
04-17-2012, 09:41 PM

THREE SECONDS
SMH. I couldn't watch more than thirty seconds of that bullshit. And they expect me to mourn when swine die in the streets?

TheTexan
04-17-2012, 10:08 PM
And if anyone thinks for a second that this is slightly more acceptable because it's a dog... they use the same exact mentality with people.

3 seconds. That's what you can expect.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2012, 10:35 PM
And if anyone thinks for a second that this is slightly more acceptable because it's a dog... they use the same exact mentality with people.

3 seconds. That's what you can expect.

3 Seconds.

3 Felonies a day.

Anti Federalist
04-18-2012, 10:50 PM
blimp

Anti Federalist
04-21-2012, 11:31 AM
one last bump

Anti Federalist
06-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Update.

Dog shooting prompts police to change policies

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/dog-shooting-prompts-police-to-change-policies-2401738.html

In the wake of a backlash over the fatal shooting of a man's dog in East Austin in April, the Austin Police Department on Tuesday announced several changes to its policies and training on how officers deal with dogs.

Assistant Police Chief David Carter said a new policy that will go into effect July 1 addresses the options officers have when compelled to use force against dogs.

One of the most significant changes to the policy, Carter said, is that it is more specific on what constitutes a dangerous animal and when an officer can use deadly force against one.

The new policy clarifies that lethal force is authorized if officers decide there is "imminent danger of bodily harm" to themselves or another human, not when a dog is simply acting aggressively, Carter said. It requires a higher level of discretion; the old policy was less specific and said lethal force can be used if an animal is a threat to safety.

The new policy also explains alternatives to deadly force, including yelling at a dog, firing a Taser or using pepper spray.

There are other revisions as well, Carter said. The new policy raises the level of scrutiny on fatal dog shootings. If an officer does use deadly force against a dog, he or she must explain why lesser force was not used, and the incident will be reviewed by the entire chain of command — not just an officer's sergeant, as is current policy, he said.

"It raises the stature" of dog shootings, Carter said. "We need to be as accountable for the shooting of a dog as any other force."

Carter said that dispatchers will be required to tell responding officers whether a residence has a history of dangerous dogs being present. If the home does, Carter said, city animal control officers will also be sent there automatically.

The changes come after a highly publicized incident in which officer Thomas Griffin was dispatched to a possible domestic disturbance on East Fifth Street in late April but was sent to the wrong address. There, he encountered resident Michael Paxton and his blue heeler, Cisco.

Griffin fatally shot Cisco after it charged at him, police officials said. Paxton has denied that the dog was being aggressive.

After news of the incident spread on Facebook, the department dealt with a public relations backlash.

Carter said the investigation into that shooting is closed. No policy violations were found, and Griffin received no discipline, he said.

Since then, Carter said, the department has been looking at other law enforcement agencies around the country to determine the best practices when it comes to dog encounters.

"Quite frankly, we learned a lot from this process," he said. "We learned a lot from the community, who had great concern about it."

He said cadets at the training academy will undergo a two-hour session on how to deal with dogs that may confront them.

The training will cover how to read a dog's body language and judge whether it is dangerous and what the options are when responding to a dangerous dog call, officials said.

Those classes will be taught by an officer who is experienced in handling and owning dogs and will emphasize less-than-lethal ways to deal with aggressive dogs, Carter said.

Current patrol officers will complete training sessions online and before shifts, he said.

Previously, Carter said, lessons on how to deal with dogs were somewhat scattered throughout the curriculum.

Police officials said that, since 2002, there have been 89 incidents in which an Austin officer was attacked by a dog.

Paxton said Tuesday that the news of the policy changes was "bittersweet" for him but that they sounded positive overall. He said he continues to receive fans and messages on the Justice for Cisco page on Facebook.

He said that he filed a complaint against Griffin with the police monitor's office and has retained a lawyer but that they have yet to discuss a possible lawsuit.

"It's sad that my dog had to die for this to happen," Paxton said.

The incident was not the first time deadly force against a dog provoked controversy in canine-friendly Austin. In November, an officer shot a dog after it bit him outside a North Austin grocery. In 2000, an officer responding to a home burglary alarm in Northwest Austin said he killed the owner's dog after it approached him while barking.

Reason
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
What is the website that is tracking all the dog murders?

Anti Federalist
04-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Mentioned in another thread bump...