PDA

View Full Version : TX-Cop's wife four months late on truck payments. Repo man shows up, cops draw guns.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Thumbnail:

Repo man spots cop's wife's truck.

Hooks it up to wrecker, tows it off, and then parks down the road and calls the sheriff's office as per usual policy.

Woman's cop husband shows up with his buddies, assaults tow truck driver, commits false arrest under color of law and threatens murder of driver.

No charges, no arrests of cops.

Deputies force repo man to return detective's truck

http://www.click2houston.com/news/Deputies-force-repo-man-to-return-detective-s-truck/-/1735978/10585520/-/62kufc/-/index.html

A Montgomery County sheriff's deputy is accused of using his badge and gun to force a repo man to give him his wife’s truck back.

“I’m trying to make an honest living,” repo man Brenton Huff told KPRC Local 2 investigator Amy Davis. “I shouldn’t have to worry about being shot, especially by police.”

Huff was hired to repossess a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado from Tammy Berkley. The lender told him she was four months behind on her payments. Huff said he spotted the truck in Conroe on March 15. He followed it, ironically, to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department Auto Theft Task Force office. When the driver went in, Huff went to work.

“I just backed up to it, hooked up and pulled it down the street,” Huff explained.

The wrecker driver says he pulled into a parking lot at the jail to call the sheriff’s office and report the repossession, a routine procedure. Seconds after he drove away, Huff said three cars pulled up alongside him, boxing in his wrecker. The cars were unmarked, the men in civilian clothes, but Huff says they all had guns pointing right at him.

“I really thought I was gonna get shot right then,” Huff told Davis. “I had my hands up here on the window so they could see them. The officer was yelling at me. He said, ‘That’s my wife’s truck.’”

That officer was Keith Winford, a Montgomery County Sheriff’s detective, who Local 2 confirmed, is married to Tammy Berkley. Winford was accompanied by three to four other deputies.

“He just grabbed me out, slammed me up against the truck right here,” said Huff.

The deputies put Huff in handcuffs. He says Winford drove his tow truck back to the sheriff’s office. After holding him for about 15 minutes, he demanded the repo man release his wife’s truck.

“Once I unhooked it, he told me ‘Get out of here.’ And then he told me if he catches me in his driveway, he’s gonna shoot me,” Huff recounted.

When we called the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, first Assistant District Attorney Phil Grant told Local 2 the Texas Rangers are investigating the incident.

Grant said law enforcement officers do not have any special privileges when it comes to getting their vehicles repossessed.

“Law enforcement officers have to follow the same rules everybody else does,” he said.

( http://64.119.187.76/images/laughter_calvin_hobbes.jpg - AF )

Grant said it’s possible the detectives thought Huff was stealing the truck.

“For somebody to take the time to stop in their parking lot and hook up straps, chains, tow lights and call the sheriff’s department, you know, that’s obviously not a car thief just stealing a car,” said Huff.

The lieutenant at the county’s Auto Theft Task Force told Davis his detectives didn’t make a report on the incident. The lieutenant only reported it to the sheriff after Local 2 called him on March 23rd, eight days after the incident.

“Should there be some sort of incident report so that you guys have something to look at?” Davis asked Grant. “Well, certainly there needs to be an incident report. And we’ll be looking to see if there were any incident reports filed in this case,” he said.

When no one with the sheriff’s department would talk on camera, Local 2 stopped by Winford’s Montgomery County home. With the once repossessed truck parked right in her driveway, Tammy Berkley told Davis she knew nothing about the incident.

“He put the repo guy in cuffs. Did he tell you about that?” Davis asked. “When you were four months behind on payments?”

“No,” said Berkley. “And I have nothing to say to you.”

She told reporters to leave, and then called the Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies to her home.

“It’s not open season on repo men, regardless of what you see on TV these days,” said Huff. “Somebody has to police the police, really.”

A week after the interview with Grant, he said Winford and the other deputies are claiming that Huff put an illegal tracking device on the truck. Huff denies that allegation. The detectives say they gave it back to Huff, so they have no proof of the tracking device. Grant said he will present both the alleged inappropriate actions of the officers and the tracking device allegations to a grand jury later this month.
Local 2 will follow up and let you know what happens.

tod evans
04-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Shocking..........

Acala
04-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Don't worry. The legal system will treat them just like they would you or me. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ha. Ha.

Czolgosz
04-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Imagine how many stories like this don't make the "news"paper.

ExPatPaki
04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
“I’m trying to make an honest living,” repo man Brenton Huff told KPRC Local 2 investigator Amy Davis. “I shouldn’t have to worry about being shot, especially by police.”

Yes, you do.

Kluge
04-16-2012, 09:29 AM
You guys don't know that these cops actually did this, you weren't there. You don't know if the tow truck driver was threatening them, there's probably a really good reason that they didn't report it.

The Goat
04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Cops abused their powers?

Typical

Kotin
04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
You guys don't know that these cops actually did this, you weren't there. You don't know if the tow truck driver was threatening them, there's probably a really good reason that they didn't report it.

:D

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 09:35 AM
If I were Huff I'd go back with the Local 2 news crew and repossess it there in front of the camera.

Czolgosz
04-16-2012, 09:35 AM

:D

I see your :D and raise you a :D

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Bwahahaha!

slamhead
04-16-2012, 09:39 AM
I would not want to be a repo man in Texas. I don't remember if you guy remember the story a few years back. A repo man was shot dead in someone's driveway while hooking up a vehicle. The guy who shot him got off as they have castle laws in Texas and you are allowed to use deadly force to protect your property.

brushfire
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
What would happen.... What would have happened if the Repo guy would have plugged some of those officers in reaction to the unlawful assault?

I've known Repo men (lived next door to a guy who owned a recovery service). They dont fk around - at least the ones I knew didnt.

Anti Federalist
Don't worry. The legal system will treat them just like they would you or me. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Ha. Ha.

I know, right?

LoL

Pericles
Another case illustrating how much respect for the law is held by those charged with enforcing it.

Anti Federalist

Cop hater.

Reported.

Danke
04-16-2012, 09:49 AM
//

libertyjam
04-16-2012, 09:50 AM
I would not want to be a repo man in Texas. I don't remember if you guy remember the story a few years back. A repo man was shot dead in someone's driveway while hooking up a vehicle. The guy who shot him got off as they have castle laws in Texas and you are allowed to use deadly force to protect your property.

He must have been trying to do it at night.

Kluge
04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Dammit. Didn't fool even one of ya.

angelatc
04-16-2012, 09:57 AM

He was probably trespassing on private public property when he went into the parking lot to get it too.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Dammit. Didn't fool even one of ya.

Troll Fail.

I'm sure you could with some more effort.

;)

Kluge
04-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Troll Fail.

I'm sure you could with some more effort.

;)

Yeah. I certainly didn't put much effort in to it.

angelatc
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
My hubby pointed out that these officers stole a vehicle, maybe two, at gunpoint.

Kotin
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah. I certainly didn't put much effort in to it.

I know.. Not even an appeal to the children..

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM
My hubby pointed out that these officers stole a vehicle, maybe two, at gunpoint.

Valid point.

Add grand theft:auto, to the charges not filed.

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 10:37 AM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgoZGbvC1I_kGzR8iNX9clvtvoukzpS DbrucbDDOEHcFZP4RMn

TheTexan
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
“Law enforcement officers have to follow the same rules everybody else does,” he said.

( http://64.119.187.76/images/laughter_calvin_hobbes.jpg - AF )

Ya I'm not sure if people still buy this bullshit, or if they just don't give a damn. At some point it's much easier to just say "fuck it" than try to resolve all the injustice these thugs cause.

XTreat
04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
\\

tod evans
04-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Valid point.

"Using or carrying a firearm in the furtherance of a crime" is federal statute 924c which carries a 5 year mandatory minimum.

link (http://www.famm.org/Repository/Files/924_c__chart%5B2%5D.pdf) (worth the look!)

oyarde
04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Cop hater.

Reported. Self reported , here .

TexanRudeBoy
04-16-2012, 11:20 AM
"Grant said it’s possible the detectives thought Huff was stealing the truck."

Right, because cops always let car thieves go.....

"Nice try there buddy! Better luck next time..."

azxd
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
"Using or carrying a firearm in the furtherance of a crime" is federal statute 924c which carries a 5 year mandatory minimum.

link (http://www.famm.org/Repository/Files/924_c__chart[2].pdf) (worth the look!)Has anyone written their representatives about this ?

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Has anyone written their representatives about this ?

Hopefully someone in Texas has.

Although I think letters to the DA might be more helpful.

azxd
04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Hopefully someone in Texas has.

Although I think letters to the DA might be more helpful.You could always write your representatives and ask them to correspond with elected officials in Texas.

kcchiefs6465
04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

That has to be about the most illogical thing I've heard in a long time. Sooo, because the tow truck driver threatened the officers they let him go and didn't report it? Got it.

QuickZ06
04-16-2012, 12:13 PM
But cops are the GOOD guys......they never do anything wrong.

tod evans
04-16-2012, 12:17 PM

I've been bitching about this statute to anybody who'll listen for over 20 years..........including my reps.

kylejack
04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Oh, I would say that I have way way more experience with Montgomery County Sheriffs and Conroe PD than you. They're largely terrible.

Kluge
04-16-2012, 12:39 PM
That has to be about the most illogical thing I've heard in a long time. Sooo, because the tow truck driver threatened the officers they let him go and didn't report it? Got it.

Oh, I would say that I have way way more experience with Montgomery County Sheriffs and Conroe PD than you. They're largely terrible.

Were either of you there? Didn't think so. All the cops I know are decent family men, and repo guys are mostly lowlifes and always intense.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfveuyLGUS1qagc53o1_500.jpg

kylejack
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Were either of you there? Didn't think so. All the cops I know are decent family men, and repo guys are mostly lowlifes and always intense.
Congratulations on the cops you know, but I know cops in Montgomery County. Around here it draws the worst sort of people.

tod evans

So because "repo guys are mostly lowlifes" it's okay for armed public servants to keep them from doing their legal job?

Kluge
So because "repo guys are mostly lowlifes" it's okay for armed public servants to keep them from doing their legal job?

Yes.

Count= 3

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Trollololololololol

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.174723!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

QuickZ06
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Hook, line, and sinker.

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 12:59 PM
LOL.

Pericles
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM

The Texas legislature is not allowed to meet until January of 2013. If they are not allowed to meet, they can't screw up the place any worse than it now is.

V4Vendetta
04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Imagine how many stories like this don't make the "news"paper.

For every story like this, you can bet there's a 1,000 that don't get printed

GraniteHills
04-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Absolute scum. This story and the "Boston cop choking a protester" story ruined my day.

youngbuck
04-16-2012, 03:56 PM
If repo man's account is true, he would have been justified in eliminating all who threatened his life.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Absolute scum. This story and the "Boston cop choking a protester" story ruined my day.

Wherzaat?

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Wherzaat?

LOL...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb6hMgg8B223x59wK0QZDl1VRh5Lacg 8OKqVlQ4AdNn4Mat6u-7A

Kluge
04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Wherzaat?

LOL...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRb6hMgg8B223x59wK0QZDl1VRh5Lacg 8OKqVlQ4AdNn4Mat6u-7A

+rep phill

Here's a Scooby Snack AF:

http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/choke.jpg?w=300

If you go fetch mah slippers, I'll even include the link. :D

QuickZ06
04-16-2012, 08:19 PM
+rep phill

Reminds me of the scene in Full Metal Jacket where R. Lee Ermey told Joker to choke himself. Disgusting.

And that was my 500 post on RPF!!!!! YAY!

Mani
04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Valid point.

I'm actually asking.....the man stealing a car with a gun in hand threatened to kill the man who was bringing the car to its owners. Is there an additional charge for actually telling someone, "I'm gonna kill you."

On an unrelated note, the first time I ever paid off my car after years of making payments a short while later, I got something in the mail. It was the title! It said the car is now mine. Then it hit me, that although the first couple years I thought the car was mine, it really wasn't. The title was held by the bank. It wasn't until paid off the balance did I realize I truly didn't own the car until that title was mine.

In that case, the repo man is returning the car to its proper owner....but I guess that logic doesn't apply to certain class of people...

QuickZ06
04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm actually asking.....the man stealing a car with a gun in hand threatened to kill the man who was bringing the car to its owners. Is there an additional charge for actually telling someone, "I'm gonna kill you."

On an unrelated note, the first time I ever paid off my car after years of making payments a short while later, I got something in the mail. It was the title! It said the car is now mine. Then it hit me, that although the first couple years I thought the car was mine, it really wasn't. The title was held by the bank. It wasn't until paid off the balance did I realize I truly didn't own the car until that title was mine.

In that case, the repo man is returning the car to its proper owner....but I guess that logic doesn't apply to certain class of people...

Well technically we never do truly own our cars if you use them to commute. Try not paying that registration and see who the new owner of that car will be if you're caught driving it, my guess is the impound lot that is until it gets sold it off.

tod evans
04-16-2012, 09:20 PM

I posted this link (http://www.famm.org/Repository/Files/924_c__chart%5B2%5D.pdf) earlier...........Federal law 924c

[click on the highlighted blue link]

angelatc
04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Well technically we never do truly own our cars if you use them to commute. Try not paying that registration and see who the new owner of that car will be if you're caught driving it, my guess is the impound lot that is until it gets sold it off.

Eh - it's just a fine. If you can go for years, it's definitely cheaper than renewing every year. But they always pick the worst possible times to pull to you over and make you walk home.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 10:20 PM
+rep phill

Woof.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1647/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1647R-16623.jpg

Kluge
04-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Woof.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1647/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1647R-16623.jpg

Quit tryin' to troll me back. I know yer kind.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boston+cop+chokes+protestor

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Quit tryin' to troll me back. I know yer kind.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=boston+cop+chokes+protestor

I figgered with the pink fluffy thing in his hands, it had to have something to do with teh ghey.

I was right.

phill4paul
04-17-2012, 05:52 AM
I figgered with the pink fluffy thing in his hands, it had to have something to do with teh ghey.

I was right.

Funny, in a non-ha-ha kinda way, that someone that may have been practising non-violent civil-disobedience for equal rights 50 years ago is choking out someone for doing the same today.