PDA

View Full Version : So how many national delgates does Paul for sure have?

danny987
04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
After these recent conventions anybody have any number?

PaulSoHard
04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Add 9 (MN CD conventions) and Colorado (13+) and Wyoming (1) to his bound count (27)

So 50+ delegates (?)

And Romney?
Add Colorado (I'll give him 16 because of the way the chair, committeeman and committeewoman will likely vote) and Wyoming (15 more plus the 8 he already has) and add that to his bound total of 591.

= 622 delegates (?)

DanK22
04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I've been checking here, but it hasn't been updated for a few weeks.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?364940-RPF-s-Official-Delegate-Count-Thread

sailingaway
04-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Add 9 (MN CD conventions) and Colorado (13+) and Wyoming (1) to his bound count (27)

So 50+ delegates (?)

And Romney?
Add Colorado (I'll give him 16 because of the way the chair, committeeman and committeewoman will likely vote) and Wyoming (15 more plus the 8 he already has) and add that to his bound total of 591.

= 622 delegates (?)

Ive seen four articles today giving Romney 666 delegates. I don't mind them being wrong this time.

Suzu
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I haven't been able to find the answer to my question:

Suppose by some miracle Romney does get 1,144 delegates. The RNC won't be cancelled because of that, but what happens if some of the 1,144 don't show up to vote for him? Let's also assume there are not enough alternates to make up the difference for him, too. What happens then? Could someone else's name be put into nomination?

sailingaway
04-15-2012, 09:37 PM
We need our strength. And we need our alternates there in case OUR people don't make it. But I would think, no, that a majority of those present would then be enough.

Scott_in_PA
04-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Ive seen four articles today giving Romney 666 delegates. I don't mind them being wrong this time.

http://i43.tinypic.com/358ano3.jpg

It irks me to see this everyday. I wonder how the santorum people feel.

ichirix
04-15-2012, 11:17 PM
I haven't been able to find the answer to my question:

Suppose by some miracle Romney does get 1,144 delegates. The RNC won't be cancelled because of that, but what happens if some of the 1,144 don't show up to vote for him? Let's also assume there are not enough alternates to make up the difference for him, too. What happens then? Could someone else's name be put into nomination?

He would just need a majority. So if some delegates don't show up or abstain from voting, then as long as Romney wins 51% of the delegates that are there, then he would be the nominee. Other people's names can only be put into consideration if Romney gets less than 51% on the first ballot.

floridasun1983
04-15-2012, 11:28 PM
No one knows for sure I suppose, but Doug Wead did write this on his blog on the 11th:

"Without revealing too much, and keeping in mind that this changes weekly, you would be wise to calculate that Mitt Romney has about 106 delegates less than what the national media is now showing. Santorum, even before dropping out, had about 16 less. This includes adding delegates that the media incorrectly withheld from Santorum and then subtracting its false calculations. Now add 98 delegates to Ron Paul. And you have the real picture of where it stands today."

Hope it helps.

carterm
04-16-2012, 12:31 AM

So 50+ delegates (?)

And Romney?

= 622 delegates (?)

this is right, but add ND

paul is at 52
romney is at 641 (he got 14 in WY)

Paul Or Nothing II
04-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I really don't get the point of these thread
I mean let's say Ron is getting a fair number of delegates then good, right! On the other hand, if he isn't getting as many, what are we going to do? Quit & go home? And give up on our liberties? Or should we KEEP ON FIGHTING???
So why worry about these things so much, just become a delegate, get your family & friends to become delegates, it does NOT matter whom you become a delegate for, be it Paul, Romney or whoever, just get your damn ass to the RNC along with as many others as you can bring!
Keep spreading the word of liberty & keep encouraging people to participate & vote & become delegates!
OUR FREEDOMS ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR!

He would just need a majority. So if some delegates don't show up or abstain from voting, then as long as Romney wins 51% of the delegates that are there, then he would be the nominee. Other people's names can only be put into consideration if Romney gets less than 51% on the first ballot.

Are you sure about that? That if some delegates abstain then the majority-number will be decided actual voters & not 2286? Really?

Can bound-delegates abstain on first ballot? There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue :confused:

Secondly, let's say you're right about how majority will be counted if some abstain, EVEN IN THAT CASE, Paul-supporters standing as Romney-delegates CAN affect the result!
So let's say, Romney might be getting 1150/2286, if our Romney-delegates (who are Paul-supporters) voted him on the first ballot itself, he wins!
But let's say 100 of the Romney-delegates, who are Paul-supporters, abstain & that DOES affect the result as it would then be 1050/2186, which is below 50% & that would ensure that he won't win on the first ballot & therefore necessitate subsequent ballot(s)