PDA

View Full Version : Delegate Election Process

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Per Alaska Republican Party Rules (http://alaskarepublicans.com/pdf/2006-Rules-2.pdf):

1. You have to submit an application to the Alaska GOP declaring your candidate.
2. You have to get elected to the State Convention by a District Convention.
3. Once at the State Convetion, vote for Dr Paul.

Article V: (important stuff is bolded)

Section 15: Republican National Convention Delegate and Alternate Delegate Election
Interim Rule

(a) The Alaska State Convention is entitled to send to the Republican National Convention the number of delegates and alternate delegates specified by NRC Rules.

(b) All delegates and alternates shall be elected thirty-five (35) or more calendar days before the beginning date of the meeting of the Republican National Convention.

(c) The State Convention shall endeavor to have equal representation of men and women in its delegation to the Republican National Convention.

(d) Only seated Regular State Convention delegates have the right to be nominated for and be, if elected, a delegate or alternate delegate to the Republican National Convention. Republican Members of Congressional Delegation, Governor, and Lieutenant Governor shall be eligible to be elected delegates to the Republican National Convention.

(e) A State Convention delegate who cannot attend the State Convention due to an emergency , such as a family death or other significant family event, who provided a written request to the Nomination Committee during the StateConvention, can be a delegate to the national convention.

(f) If a delegate or alternate delegate to a Regular State Convention moves to another district within the state after his election as a delegate or alternate delegate, he shall retain his seat from the district in which he was elected. If a district boundary is moved after his election as a delegate or alternate delegate, he shall retain his seat from the district in which he was elected.

(g) National Convention Delegation:

(1) Each person who desires to be elected a Republican National Convention delegate or alternate must submit a completed written Nomination Request on which they shall identify which Qualified Presidential Candidate they shall support for nomination at the following National Convention should they be elected, and a check or credit card authorization in an amount set by the State Central Committee for convention hotel deposit to the State Convention Nominations Committee before its meeting starts.

(2) Delegates to the National Convention shall be elected from the Delegates to the State Convention. Delegates to the National Convention shall be pledged to support a Qualified Presidential Candidate. Delegates must support their indicated Qualified Presidential Candidate so long as their preferred Candidate maintains an active campaign. After the second round of balloting, if the Qualified Presidential Candidate to which the Delegate is pledged is the candidate receiving the fewest number of votes in the previous round of balloting, the Delegate is no longer required to support that candidate.

(3) When the Regular State Convention has elected a complete slate of delegates to the Republican National Convention, then a list of alternate delegates to the Republican National Convention shall be elected from those who are qualified according to the requirements of this section. The completed list shall be set in order of preference, and approved by a majority of the seated delegates at the Regular State Convention.

(4) Delegates to the National Convention shall be apportioned among the Qualified Presidential Candidates by first determining the percentage of the support each Qualified Presidential Candidate received at each District Convention pursuant to Article III, Section 11 of these rules, then multiplying that number by the delegates entitled to attend to attend the State Convention from that district. Alternate Delegates to the National Convention shall be similarly apportioned. District Delegates expressing “no preference” shall be counted as votes for non-pledged delegates to the National Convention.

(5) Each Alternate Delegate shall be ranked among the Qualifed Presidential Candidates and may only become a Delegate if a similarly pledged Delegate is unable to attend the Convention. In the event that a Delegate position becomes vacant and there is no available Alternate Delegate pledged to the corresponding Qualified Presidential Candidate, then the highest ranked non-pledged Delegate shall be seated as a Delegate. In the event that there are no non-pledged Alternate Delegates available then the highest ranked Alternate Delegate of the Qualified Presidential Candidate with the greatest number of Delegates shall be
seated as a non-pledged Delegate.

(6) A “Qualified Presidential Candidate” is any Republican Candidate for President who thirty days prior to the start of the first District Convention, has filed a Request of Nomination with the Chairman of the Alaska Republican Party, paid a $500.00 registration fee to the Alaska Republican Party and submittted the signatures of 50 Republicans registered to vote in the State of Alaska, of which no more then ten (10) shall be registered to vote in any one district.

(7) If a Qualified Presidential Candidate drops out prior to the Republicn State Convention, the percentage of national delegates pledged to that candidate shall be uniformly distributed among the remaining 15 candidates and the non-pledged group.

(8) If a pledged delegate or alternate delegate is pledged to a Qualified Presidential Candidate who is no longer a candidate for the Republican Nomination for President as of the date of the National Convention, that delegate or alternate delegate shall be deemed non-pledged.

(9) There shall be no fractional delegates. A fractional share of a delegate for a Qualified Presidential Candidate shall be rounded up to the next full delegate for the candidate receiving the most delegates and reduce delegate allocation of the Qualified Presidential Candidate receiving the fewest delegates. The process shall apply to the Qualified Presidential Candidates in descending order by total delegates until all delegates are fully assigned.

We should exploit the "no preference" rule above and see if we can't double our numbers in the delegation. It's gonna be a little pricey too. :(

me3
11-15-2007, 06:52 AM
We should exploit the "no preference" rule above and see if we can't double our numbers in the delegation. It's gonna be a little pricey too. :(
Please explain in more detail.

seapilot
11-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Are you in Alaska Me3?

me3
11-16-2007, 04:16 PM
No, but I am trying to stay educated on this to inform others.

microchip
11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
We should exploit the "no preference" rule above and see if we can't double our numbers in the delegation.

Please explain in more detail.
Yeah, I was wondering about this too ... ?

Bradley in DC
11-19-2007, 11:56 PM
I think Alaska is fertile ground for us and we shouldn't go for no preference.

The LP does (relatively) well there. In addition, Dr. Paul's running mate in 1988 was a state senator from Alaska!

Chibioz
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm in Alaska. I'm still a little confused about the nomination and election process for delegates. How do you get elected to the state convention and what exactly is the difference between the state and national convention?

microchip
11-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Chibioz, I looked up some stuff on it ... the jist of it - I think - is this:

Folks must be registered as a Republican at least a month before the district conventions (early January);

District conventions are held on Super Tuesday ... at those conventions delegates are nominated to go to the state convention, which is at least a month later (and I think is sometime in March)

At the state convention, delegates are nominated for the national convention and are pledged to support a candidate.

There's some information here:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/203/files/
but I haven't looked through all of it yet ...

Does anyone know if there's an official campaign coordinator in Alaska?

seapilot
11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Im in anchorage and we have 90 in our meet up and have been working on getting the 50 republican signatures to get Ron on the ballot. If you have not switched to republican yet just call your nearest voter registration and have it changed over the phone.

If you are not registered you need to fill out a form and present it in person to the voter registration office near you. Even if you are not in Anchorage you can participate in a phone in during the convention on FEB 5.

Join the anchorage meet up or Fairbanks meet up. After you register republican go to http://www.alaskarepublicans.com/

print out the form that says petition form at the top. Put Ron Pauls name on the line , sign the form if you are registered republican and get as many other people you know that are registered republican to sign it. We have lots of signatures but more the better, in case some are not registered republicans yet. Send me a PM when you have that completed and I will give you an address where to send it so we can deliver it to the Alaska Republican party in DEcember. we have till end of December to do that.

seapilot
11-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok I will try to break it down so its easy to follow what I know so far,

1. You are in Alaska

2. You are registered to vote in Alaska
a. If not fill out a voter registration form off the internet turn it in to your local elections or mail it in. Do this quick as it takes 3 to 4 weeks to get your card. You need it by FEB 5th.

3. You are registered as a republican
a. If not call your elections office nearest you and tell them you want to switch from undeclared etc. to republican they will send you a new voter card.

4. Find out what district you live in. Go to www.alaskarepublicans.com

5. Find out where the district convention is held on Feb 5th 2008, in your district. Volunteer to be a delagate for Ron Paul. Vote in the straw poll for Ron Paul.

6. It all above are sucessful then you might have to fly to the state convention in Anchorage of March of 2008.

Find out if there is a meet up in your area, try to convert people to Ron Paul so they will vote for him with you in the district convention.

Perry
11-21-2007, 04:00 PM
I'll be looking into this over the weekend. I know nothing about delegates or the process so I have some homework ahead of me.

seapilot
11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
We need all petitions with signatures from registered republican alaska voters by the end of December to get Ron Paul on the ballot for FEB 5.

Doesnt matter if it is only one name on the petition we need as many as we can get from all districts. PM me if you have some to mail off or want more info. Thanks