PDA

View Full Version : How one Sheriffs Department brought an eviction to a peaceful resolution.

phill4paul
04-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Some on here often lament about the lack of articles highlighting responsible L.E. reaction to 'stand-off' situations. So in the interest of fairness I post this article.
A situation that could easily have gotten out of hand was dealt with in a responsible way and no one was injured.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/11866556-418/gulf-war-veterans-eviction-resolved-peacefully.html

Gulf War veteran’s eviction resolved peacefully
By Frank Abderholden fabderholden@stmedianetwork.com April 12, 2012 7:52PM

WAUKEGAN — Police went out of their way to try and help a former Gulf War veteran down on his luck, with a peaceful resolution reached in his scheduled eviction.

Lake County Sheriff Office deputies were scheduled to evict Robert Newberry, 41, of 511 Ridgeland Ave., on Tuesday, but on Monday night they received information Newberry had made a threat on Facebook saying he would kill police coming to evict him from the apartment and signing a posting with “Blaze of Glory.”

The unnamed source said Newberry was a “down-on-his-luck Gulf War veteran.” Police tried to contact him on his cellphone, but it had been disconnected.

On Tuesday morning, three deputies and two Waukegan police officers attempted to contact him at 10:20 a.m. with a bullhorn since he lived on the second floor.

Arrangements were made with the landlord to get neighboring tenants out of the building beforehand.

A deputy announced they were there to speak with him regarding the pending eviction and he was asked to step out of his apartment. Instead, Newberry responded aggressively, stating he would not come out, authorities said. They called out to him again and this time he said anyone coming to the door would be killed.

Officers backed away and called for extra support from the Sheriff’s Office and Waukegan Police Department. In 15 minutes there were approximately 40 officers on the scene and they formed a perimeter evacuating neighboring homes and businesses and blocking streets within a block in each direction.

At that point, police decided not to try and contact him again. They pulled back and left a surveillance team in place, and people were allowed back into their homes and businesses.

An arrest warrant for Newberry was obtained for aggravated assault, resisting a police officer and criminal trespass to property. The warrant had a $50,000 bond.

On Wednesday at 9:15 a.m., another attempt to contact Newberry was made and deputies told him they wanted to check on his safety and health. He told them he had food and drink, but he did not have heat or electricity. Then Newberry became aggressive again and the deputies stopped speaking to him.

Deputies then began working with staff at the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center in North Chicago to identify if he was a Gulf War veteran. They also contacted Mike Peck, superintendent of the Lake County Veterans Assistance Commission.

Wednesday afternoon they returned with lunch from McDonald’s and information on how to assist Newberry on finding alternative housing. Newberry surrendered peacefully and police, Newberry’s family and the VA all worked together to help him find a place to store his belongings and also get temporary housing. Newberry apologized to the officers at the scene and was appreciative of how police handled the situation.

“We appreciate the immediate assistance and information we received from the Waukegan Police Department in this matter,” said Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran. “I am also very proud of all officers who helped bring this potentially dangerous incident to a peaceful resolution.”

Newberry was brought before a judge where his bond was reduced to $10,000, He remains in the Lake County Jail.

So, good on 'em. Much better resolution than THIS story about an eviction....

http://www.wbtv.com/story/17407488/fire-burns-at-ca-apt-where-shooting-suspect-fled?clienttype=printable

Cops find charred body in CA home after standoff

Posted: Apr 13, 2012 5:13 AM EDT
Updated: Apr 14, 2012 12:13 AM EDT
By TRACIE CONE
Associated Press
MODESTO, Calif. (AP) - The body of a man suspected of gunning down a deputy and a locksmith when they tried to serve eviction papers was discovered Friday in the rubble of an apartment that was gutted by fire during a standoff with authorities.

Police said it could take weeks to identify the charred remains found after the blaze collapsed the second floor of the structure.

Property records show James Ferrario, 45, lived at the address in the Whispering Woods development.

Jonathon Mullinix, 20, a neighbor, said Ferrario was reserved and often kept to himself.

He had told Mullinix he worked for a private security company and had handguns, rifles and shotguns. Mullinix said Ferrario also had several security cameras in windows of his house.

"He seemed like someone who wanted to be left alone," Mullinix said.

State online records show Ferrario's security guard registration and firearms permit were canceled in 2009 with no disciplinary action indicated.

The Modesto Bee newspaper said the Ferrario property had fallen behind on payments on a $15,000 Bank of America mortgage taken out in 2003. The property owner also appears to have defaulted on $13,406 owed to the Whispering Woods Community Association.

The association foreclosed on the condo last year, followed by a bank foreclosure in December, the newspaper reported.

R&T Financial Inc. is now the property's legal owner, according to county records. The Associated Press could not find a phone listing for the company.

After getting clearance from fire officials, federal firearms and explosives agents spent Friday afternoon searching the rubble for evidence in the case. Police spokesman Officer Chris Adams would not say if any weapons had been found.

The daylong standoff began Thursday morning after a man opened fire as authorities tried to serve the eviction notice.

At one point during the standoff, police broke the windows of the apartment with bean bag shots and fired flash-bang grenades and tear gas. Authorities evacuated nearby residents in the development of freestanding buildings, each divided into four apartments.

Around 9 p.m., six officers rushed toward the apartment, the Bee reported. Sharp bangs from concussive devices were heard for more than an hour, and officers used loudspeakers to communicate with the man to pick up the phone. No one came out.

As police shot the flash-bang grenades, they could see the apartment lights being turned on and off, confirming someone was inside, Adams said.

It was not clear how the fire, which officers reported at 9:45 p.m., began, but the Bee reported the sheriff has acknowledged flash-bang devices and tear gas could have been responsible. Four apartments were destroyed by the fire, and 100 units were evacuated after the shooting.

Officials identified the deputy killed as Robert Paris, 53, and the civilian as Glendon David Engert, 35, a locksmith from Modesto.

Paris, a 16-year veteran of the department, is survived by his parents, a brother and two adult children.

Bob Wilson, 85, a neighbor who lives two doors down from Engert, said there had been a procession of people around the locksmith's house since the shooting.

"I've seen a lot of cars coming and going and a lot of people going in and out of the house," said Wilson, who has lived in the area for more than 60 years. "He was a good guy."

Engert was hired by the landlord to help deputies gain entry to the apartment to serve the eviction notice, Adams said.

"He was there to open the lock," he said.

Law enforcement experts said it's not unusual to have a civilian, such as a locksmith, brought along during the service of an eviction notice. They said it's important for police to know who they are dealing with before knocking on a door.

"To be prudent, make sure the person inside is going along with the program before bringing someone like a locksmith," said Gregory Lee, a retired supervisory special agent for the Drug Enforcement Administration, who runs a consulting firm in Central California.

"The deputy is the messenger; he doesn't have a dog in the fight. Sometimes people attack the uniform, not the person," Lee said.

William Flynn, a retired lieutenant with the West Covina Police Department in Southern California, believes little could have been done if there was no indication the suspect in the Modesto eviction was violent.

"The only edge we have is to be on alert," he said. "If we lose that edge, that's when officers get hurt."

Officers are routinely provided training about executing search warrants. In most cases, agents learn about a suspect's background and their propensity for violence prior to serving the warrant.

The officers also take added precautions by wearing protective gear such as bulletproof vests and mull over scenarios if the person doesn't comply.

In Modesto, Rihanna Brookshire, who lives next door to the shooting scene, said her children had just gone outside to play when the shooting began. Just as they came back into the house and shut the door, they heard a loud bang.

"I thought it was a backfire. We looked outside. My daughter saw a police officer dead on the ground. She said, 'Mommy, there's blood everywhere,'" said Brookshire, who was among the residents evacuated.

Two evictions with different outcomes. In the interest of 'fairness.'

Czolgosz
04-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Some on here often lament about the lack of articles highlighting responsible L.E. reaction to 'stand-off' situations. So in the interest of fairness I post this article.
A situation that could easily have gotten out of hand was dealt with in a responsible way and no one was injured.

http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/11866556-418/gulf-war-veterans-eviction-resolved-peacefully.html

http://smiliesftw.com/x/clap.gif

azxd
04-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Borrowing these http://smiliesftw.com/x/clap.gif
Hope ya don't mind !!!

kcchiefs6465
04-15-2012, 08:48 AM
I like the first story better.

Czolgosz
04-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Borrowing these http://smiliesftw.com/x/clap.gif
Hope ya don't mind !!!

:D

phill4paul
04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
//

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Last bump before the dust bin.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Last bump before the dust bin.

Only goes to show that, in many cases, such a solution is possible.

It comes to a violent bloody end because cops insist on pushing the envelope, hut hutting about and charging into homes with grenades popping and weapons blazing.

Combat Quals for all.

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Only goes to show that, in many cases, such a solution is possible.

It comes to a violent bloody end because cops insist on pushing the envelope, hut hutting about and charging into homes with grenades popping and weapons blazing.

Combat Quals for all.

As the Modesto eviction showed. I'd have to say that this town has a pretty smart cookie as a Sheriff. They investigated the individual first. To make sure that he was or wasn't going along with the plan. Then they pulled back when confronted. They further investigated and got a deeper understanding of the individual and his fears. Then they brought him some lunch from McD's and a plan for finding him housing after the matter was cleared up.
Took them a whole 24 hrs. more than the Modesto fiasco. No life or personal property loss.
I doubt this will qualify them for DHS armoured carriers. Maybe they can get some McD's coupons on the federal dime.

Stupified
04-16-2012, 11:20 AM
For every bad cop story, there's probably three good ones. It doesn't excuse the bad at all, but at least it provides a little hope. Most small town PDs around here (TN) are pretty chilled, because officers can't screw up too bad without destroying their reputation in the community. Nobody wants to get death stares every time they go into the gas station.

edit: Speed traps are the fucking worst around here though. Every town situated on a highway has one.

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 11:24 AM
For every bad cop story, there's probably three good ones. It doesn't excuse the bad at all, but at least it provides a little hope. Most small town PDs around here are pretty chilled, because officers can't screw up too bad without destroying their reputation in the community. Nobody wants to get death stares every time they go into the gas station.

Would that so many others were thus bound.

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
For every bad cop story, there's probably three good ones. It doesn't excuse the bad at all, but at least it provides a little hope. Most small town PDs around here (TN) are pretty chilled, because officers can't screw up too bad without destroying their reputation in the community. Nobody wants to get death stares every time they go into the gas station.

I've been asked at times, when getting the "cop hater" label affixed to me, how do you respond to all the "good cop" stories?

Simple: it's not noteworthy that the washing machine worked when you turned it on, and the car started when you turned the key.

That's supposed to be their job, to maintain the peace as best as possible while using the least amount of force as possible.

Not raiding homes with grenades and tanks.

edit: Speed traps are the fucking worst around here though. Every town situated on a highway has one.

At the end of the day, still nothing more than revenue collectors.

Czolgosz
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
I've been asked at times, when getting the "cop hater" label affixed to me, how do you respond to all the "good cop" stories?

Simple: it's not noteworthy that the washing machine worked when you turned it on, and the car started when you turned the key.

That's supposed to be their job, to maintain the peace as best as possible while using the least amount of force as possible.

Not raiding homes with grenades and tanks.

At the end of the day, still nothing more than revenue collectors.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/werd2.gif

Anti Federalist
04-16-2012, 12:04 PM
http://smiliesftw.com/x/werd2.gif

LoL - "Word" brah!

Pericles
04-16-2012, 02:40 PM
I like the first story better.

Treating people with respect precludes the need to start shooting in 80% of the cases.

evilfunnystuff
04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
While this is significantly better than some of the horror stories I see, it's still kinda shitty.

An arrest warrant for Newberry was obtained for aggravated assault, resisting a police officer and criminal trespass to property. The warrant had a $50,000 bond.

Newberry was brought before a judge where his bond was reduced to $10,000, He remains in the Lake County Jail.

The guy does not deserve to be in jail, and it may now be his final home.

Stupified
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
While this is significantly better than some of the horror stories I see, it's still kinda shitty.

The guy does not deserve to be in jail, and it may now be his final home.

Guy resists eviction.
Police officers come to help.
Guy threatens police officers with murder; puts apartment complex at risk.

evilfunnystuff
04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Guy resists eviction.
Police officers come to help.
Guy threatens police officers with murder; puts apartment complex at risk.

The guy was talked down and never hurt anybody. I see no indication that he had a weapon much less used one in a manner that put anybody at risk.

I don't see how prison is going to make you any safer from this guy. His family was now helping him store his things helping find him alternative housing. Now you are increasing the financial hardship on him making things all the more difficult when he gets out.

How do you not see, prison can only make this guy more dangerous. His family could have helped him once alerted to the situation, but this will make that job a whole lot harder or maybe impossible.

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
The guy was talked down and never hurt anybody. I see no indication that he had a weapon much less used one in a manner that put anybody at risk.

I don't see how prison is going to make you any safer from this guy. His family was now helping him store his things helping find him alternative housing. Now you are increasing the financial hardship on him making things all the more difficult when he gets out.

How do you not see, prison can only make this guy more dangerous. His family could have helped him once alerted to the situation, but this will make that job a whole lot harder or maybe impossible.

While not the best outcome far better than immolation. Given the way that various agencies and family pitched in I am hoping for the best outcome. I will try to keep abreast of the situation and post if I read any updates.

evilfunnystuff
04-16-2012, 04:54 PM
While not the best outcome far better than immolation.

I guess that all depends how well he copes with prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtI1MtMVrco

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I guess that all depends how well he copes with prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtI1MtMVrco

Yer barkin' up the wrong tree. I'm just saying the outcome was better than immolation. While many can make a comeback from a 6' x 6' there ain't no coming back from 6' under.

evilfunnystuff
04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Yer barkin' up the wrong tree. I'm just saying the outcome was better than immolation. While many can make a comeback from a 6' x 6' there ain't no coming back from 6' under.

No, you're right, I'm just hopin he doesn't turn into Mickey Knox.

squarepusher
04-16-2012, 05:12 PM
well done Sherrif's and LEO!

phill4paul
04-16-2012, 05:14 PM
No, you're right, I'm just hopin he doesn't turn into Mickey Knox.

And I agree with your concerns. The reason why I had posted this though was because I had NEVER heard of a stand-off situation in which multi-agency L.E. were called to stand down with only a surveillance team left in place. Ever.