PDA

View Full Version : Cops recover stolen jewelry... May or may not give back to jeweler.

Stupified
04-14-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20120413/NEWS01/304130008/-285K-in-stolen-jewelry-recovered-from-2011-robbery-in-Jackson?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CFRONTPA GE

Jackson police officers have recovered items from the largest jewelry heist in the city’s history.

Police announced the recovery of $285,113.99 of stolen jewelry that was stolen from Little’s Jewelers on Vann Drive last February.

The items were displayed for the media to see, and prices for the items ranged from the low hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars, including a women’s Rolex watch that was priced at $29,050.

Police said investigators discovered that items stolen in the heist were kept in Texas, and police went there Monday and brought jewelry back to Jackson on Tuesday.

Lt. Tyreece Miller, of the Jackson Police Department, said he wanted to credit the recovery to the hard work of the department’s officers.

“This is a testament to the men and women of the Jackson Police Department who put everything on the line day in and day out,” he said. “As I always say, investigations aren’t a sprint; they are a marathon.”

Police responded to a call on Feb. 16, 2011, that Little’s Jewelers had been robbed.

Officers learned that an unidentified man came into the business, struck an employee on the head and forced that worker as well two others into a restroom and duct-taped the door shut to keep them in.

The man took money from the register and a “substantial amount” of jewelry from the display cases and a safe. Police have declined to say the full amount that was stolen.

Investigators received information three months later that one of the jewelry store employees was in the Dallas area and possessed items stolen in the heist.

Authorities said that in March, investigators learned that stolen merchandise was being kept in a storage facility in Arlington, Texas, and the rental fee was being paid by Randle’s family.

The Texas Rangers executed a search warrant at the storage facility on March 30 and recovered 64 items of jewelry.

Chestnut and Richardson traveled to Fort Worth, Texas, on Monday and brought the jewelry back to the Jackson Police Department on Tuesday and logged it into the department’s property and evidence room that evening.

Police said the department will return the stolen jewelry to the rightful owners once the case is fully adjudicated.

I have heard that the police department will be returning the jewelry that belongs to customers (who brought it into the shop for cleaning). They told the owner that he won't be getting the other jewelry back because "insurance covered it."

Anybody want to take the bet that he never sees that jewelry again?

Anti Federalist
04-14-2012, 11:24 PM
They'll have the drug dogs "hit" on it and seize it as "drug related".

Understanding that insurance companies will make you call the cops, keep in mind, if they are ever lucky enough to find any stolen goods, the likelihood of you getting them back is even less.

MikeStanart
04-15-2012, 08:08 AM
So the police are stealing from the insurance company then.

Czolgosz
04-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Yup. I believe the insurance company should rightfully own the recovered jewelry, at this point. Seems like that would at least be an implied contract if not specifically worded in a written form.

Any commercial insurance folks on RPF?

thoughtomator
04-15-2012, 08:29 AM
the insurer just charges customers more for its losses, so really the people being stolen from are those who buy insurance

azxd
04-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Police said the department will return the stolen jewelry to the rightful owners once the case is fully adjudicated.

Crime evidence ... I see no problem.

And in fact am appreciative, as I am sure both the store owner and insurance company are, that an investigation led to an arrest and recovery of stolen property.

I wonder what the result would have been if the store owner had not called the cops ?

kcchiefs6465
04-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Crime evidence ... I see no problem.
And in fact am appreciative, as I am sure both the store owner and insurance company are, that an investigation led to an arrest and recovery of stolen property.

I wonder what the result would have been if the store owner had not called the cops ?
I am positive he will be returned his property. As I am sure you are aware I do not advocate to call the police or even talk to them for that matter. In certain instances it is neccessary and (common sense) to report a crime. For insurance purposes and what-not. Job well done.

slamhead
04-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Yup. I believe the insurance company should rightfully own the recovered jewelry, at this point. Seems like that would at least be an implied contract if not specifically worded in a written form.

The insurance company just needs to make a claim for it now. It happens all the time. Look at the deep sea treasure hunters. The first thing they are hit with are law suits from insurance companies that paid on the loss hundreds of years ago. The insurance companies generally win their claims.

Czolgosz
04-15-2012, 09:01 AM
The insurance company just needs to make a claim for it now. It happens all the time. Look at the deep sea treasure hunters. The first thing they are hit with are law suits from insurance companies that paid on the loss hundreds of years ago. The insurance companies generally win their claims.

Makes sense.

azxd
04-15-2012, 09:06 AM

The insurance company just needs to make a claim for it now. It happens all the time. Look at the deep sea treasure hunters. The first thing they are hit with are law suits from insurance companies that paid on the loss hundreds of years ago. The insurance companies generally win their claims.Agreed ... If the insurance company has paid out on a claim, the property is rightfully theirs to claim possession of.