PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Users Sue AT&T For Letting Thieves Re-Activate Their Stolen Devices

DamianTV
04-14-2012, 01:16 AM
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/04/13/2025258/iphone-users-sue-att-for-letting-thieves-re-activate-their-stolen-devices

"Following on the heels of the FCC and U.S. mobile carriers finally announcing plans to create a national database for stolen phones, a group of iPhone users filed a class action lawsuit against AT&T on Tuesday claiming that it has aided and abetted cell phone thieves by refusing to brick stolen cell phones. AT&T has '[made] millions of dollars in improper profits, by forcing legitimate customers, such as these Plaintiffs, to buy new cell phones, and buy new cell phone plans, while the criminals who stole the phone are able to simply walk into AT&T stories and 're-activate' the devices, using different, cheap, readily-available 'SIM' cards,' states their complaint. AT&T, of course, says the suit is 'meritless.'"

Hmm, now what would inspire AT&T to not bother to try to help victims whose phones were stolen by force? Oh yeah, because it could increase their profit margins because all thsoe people would have to go buy new phones, at their own expense! Kinda makes me wonder if the Ghost of Steve Jobs is running around stealing peoples phones...

qh4dotcom
04-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Seems to me it's more the victims' fault for losing their Iphones and for not using the "find my phone" option to track down via GPS where their lost phone is.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?327338-CA-Cops-kick-in-door-over-an-i-phone.&highlight=iphone

roho76
04-14-2012, 10:27 AM
"National database for stolen phones."??? WTF???

UtahApocalypse
04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
"National database for stolen phones."??? WTF??? -- Amended 2013

DamianTV
04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Seems to me it's more the victims' fault for losing their Iphones and for not using the "find my phone" option to track down via GPS where their lost phone is.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?327338-CA-Cops-kick-in-door-over-an-i-phone.&highlight=iphone

And if they do, why are the cops unwilling to help them even if the victim has done all of the police footwork for them?

MikeStanart
04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't believe a company should have the right to "brick" a phone that I purchased. The transaction was completed, and there shouldn't be any control over that phone. If I report the phone stolen to AT&T, then the phone should be unlinked from my account and no longer charged. AT&T shouldn't be the "police" in this matter.

KingRobbStark
04-14-2012, 02:51 PM
They are a blaming AT&T for doing their job?

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Hmm, now what would inspire AT&T to not bother to try to help victims whose phones were stolen by force? Oh yeah, because it could increase their profit margins because all thsoe people would have to go buy new phones, at their own expense! Kinda makes me wonder if the Ghost of Steve Jobs is running around stealing peoples phones...

Sometimes window installers and manufacturers don't subscribe to the "broken window fallacy".

MikeStanart
04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I believe the intent behind this was to allow people who purchased Iphones and didn't want to use AT&T, to move to another carrier; this is merely a consequence of that, not some elaborate conspiracy by AT&T to get more subscribers.

Still, it's not AT&T's responsibility to enforce property rights. That is between you, the criminal, and your government.