PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul, who will campaign in Ithaca next week, faces an uphill battle

sailingaway
04-13-2012, 11:37 PM
http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo/10835755-large.jpg

Syracuse, NY -- While most political observers doubt New York will have a competitive Republican presidential primary a week from Tuesday, at least one candidate sees an opportunity to win Central New York and its delegates to the national convention.

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, plans to visit the region Thursday and rally his supporters at Cornell University in Ithaca, where the congressman has one of his 10 largest Youth for Ron Paul chapters. So far, Paul is the only one of the four major Republican candidates on the April 24 ballot to plan a stop in Central New York.

The other candidates have mostly stayed away from the Empire State as Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has opened a 33-percentage-point lead over his nearest competitor, according to a Siena Research Institute poll released Monday. The poll showed Romney (51 percent), widening his lead over former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (18 percent), Paul (11 percent) and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (6 percent).

Santorum, facing tough odds in other states as well, suspended his campaign Tuesday, making Romney the party’s presumptive nominee in the eyes of many political observers.

But Paul’s local supporters say they expect their candidate to make a better-than-expected showing in New York, now that Santorum is out of the race. It’s one reason Paul planned the rally for 7 p.m. Thursday at Cornell’s Lynah Rink.

“I think he will pick up a lot of the Santorum supporters,” said David Gay, of Syracuse, a member of the Onondaga County Republican Committee who has been designated a Paul delegate to the national convention. “A lot of those people became Santorum people because they are anti-Romney. And many of the Santorum people said Ron Paul would be their second choice.”

more at link

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/ron_paul_who_will_campaign_in.html

this was actually on the front page of google news for me, and not in my customized 'Ron Paul' section either... :p

Carson
04-13-2012, 11:49 PM
more at link

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/ron_paul_who_will_campaign_in.html

this was actually on the front page of google news for me, and not in my customized 'Ron Paul' section either... :p

I checked Google News from here. It's there for me also.

Then again I suppose it would be.

Good news the campaign trail marches on. I hope everyone has as much fun as we did when he came through Berkeley. Well every stop has been great.

I'll be following from here.

Carson
04-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I went back and looked at it again and low and behold there was much more there. There is a little tab thing over on the right, "Click to show related articles";

Syracuse.com

Ron Paul, who will campaign in Ithaca next week, faces an uphill battle
Syracuse.com - ‎3 hours ago‎ (http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/ron_paul_who_will_campaign_in.html)

By Mark Weiner / The Post-Standard View full sizeBill Husa / Chico Enterprise-Record, via APPresidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, speaks to a crowd gathered in the free speech area at California State University, Chico in this photo from April ...

Letter: Ron Paul draws an impressive crowd Enterprise-Record (http://www.chicoer.com/opinion/ci_20387919/letter-ron-paul-draws-an-impressive-crowd)

Paul marches on, despite odds and electoral votes San Antonio Express (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/article/Paul-marches-on-despite-odds-and-electoral-votes-3476099.php)

See all 167 sources » (https://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&ncl=dV2x22gXnaJdMRM2jVM1cFK9h-hNM&region)

alucard13mmfmj
04-14-2012, 12:03 AM
I think it is interesting that the campaign might depend on Santorum's supporters to get a win for Ron Paul. I hope Santorum supporters won't let us down and will go vote. It will be their fault if Romney wins and ultimately gets the nomination. They must do something to stop Romney. Help us win!!! Ron Paul supporters + Santorums would at least put us close to Romney, if not win.. If we dont win, I hope we are within 10 points of Romney. I hope gingrich's supporters are not dumb enough to keep supporting gingrich, who is now Romney's bish.

Rocco
04-14-2012, 12:06 AM
David Gay ran for congress back in 2008 here, he was quoted and is a great patriot as well! He and many others have worked very hard to try and secure a victory for Ron Paul in NY

sailingaway
04-14-2012, 12:15 AM
I think it is interesting that the campaign might depend on Santorum's supporters to get a win for Ron Paul. I hope Santorum supporters won't let us down and will go vote. It will be their fault if Romney wins and ultimately gets the nomination. They must do something to stop Romney. Help us win!!! Ron Paul supporters + Santorums would at least put us close to Romney, if not win.. If we dont win, I hope we are within 10 points of Romney. I hope gingrich's supporters are not dumb enough to keep supporting gingrich, who is now Romney's bish.

Santorum has both real 'santorum' supporters, and supporters who were voting for him because he was the current top polling conservative (anti Romney). Ron can get the second sort, and the first sort will hopefully know that Santorum's leverage depends on Romney needing delegates, and not having what he needs.

PaulSoHard
04-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Let's hope that conservatives and Evangelicals aren't ready to concede to Romney yet.

Paul Or Nothing II
04-14-2012, 12:27 AM

There's no real such thing as "Santorum-supporters", they aren't a monolithic, ideological driven bloc like the Paul-supporters, they are basically the social conservative bloc that hates Romney as well as Obama so they're actually "anti-Obamney-vote", we need to attract these people by emphasizing the fact that Ron Paul has the BEST chance of beating Obama due to his appeal across political spectrum, not to mention he's the ONLY true "conservative", fiscally or otherwise

Let's hope that conservatives and Evangelicals aren't ready to concede to Romney yet.

The question is why should they not concede if they think Romney is their only chance at keeping Obama out?

Again, I keep asking, what has yet been done to shed Ron's "unelectable" label? NOTHING SO FAR!

We MUST get it out there ASAP that Paul is the ONLY candidate that can beat Obama because he's a REAL CONSERVATIVE & appeals to voters across the political spectrum from Republicans to Independents to Democrats