PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ron Paul's delegate candidates.

Hook
11-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Do the delegate candidates that Ron Paul selects to represent him have to be the ones elected by the State GOP conventions? Or are the elected delegates only at-large or superdelegates?

Hook
11-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Here in Utah, all 36 of our delegates are bound on the first ballot. That includes the chairman and chairwoman and other bonus delegates. So if Dr. Paul wins the primary, he chooses all 36? Or only the congressional district delegates?

foofighter20x
11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Dr Paul won't choose any delegates. The voters choose the delegates, and hopefully the delegates will choose Dr Paul!

Dorfsmith
11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Here in Utah, all 36 of our delegates are bound on the first ballot. That includes the chairman and chairwoman and other bonus delegates. So if Dr. Paul wins the primary, he chooses all 36? Or only the congressional district delegates?

I think it's like AZ where he gets them all if he wins the state. But only in the first vote. If they do require a second vote (and I think they will) they could be able to vote for whoever they want.

Hook
11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
No, Dr. Paul chooses the group of delegates that go to the National convention if he wins. At least according to Bradley in DC

Furis
11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Why does every fricken state have to be different.

UTAH: (the way I see it, contact the HQ there to find out for sure)

Delegates sign up (Dont ask me how or where, Im from Iowa)

The primary/caucus happens (winner gets all of the delegates assigned to him)

At the RNC Delegates vote as they were won, if no winner is determined delegates are then unbound and may vote as they choose.

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 12:00 AM
From the Arizona GOP Bylaws:

D. Election of Delegates and Alternates of National Convention
Each congressional district caucus shall elect delegates and alternates pursuant to
the national call. Each alternate within the district shall be listed and serve in an
order determined by the number of votes received or, in case of a tie, by lot. The
state convention shall then elect delegates and alternates at large pursuant to the
national call. The at-large alternates shall be listed and serve in an order determined
by the number of votes received or, in case of a tie, by lot.

Dr Paul doesn't pick the delegates.

So, not only do we need to pick up the district delegates, but we need to get Paul supporters into the state convention to secure the at-large delegates as well.

Jobarra
11-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Recommend this link (http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/) HIGHLY. Found it in someone's signature(Edit: Doh! Looks like it was foo's signature :D ) here last night. Utah's delegates are fairly simple:

Tuesday 5 February 2008: All 36 of Utah's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to a presidential contender in today's Utah Presidential Primary.

36 National Convention delegates are to be allocated to the presidential contender receiving the greatest number of votes in the primary statewide. [Utah Republican Party Bylaws 7.0.B]
The 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Utah's Republican Party, will attend the convention as pledged delegates by virtue of their position.

Saturday 10 May 2008: The Utah State Republican Convention convenes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the first ballot, the national delegation are bound to vote for the candidate who has received the most votes in the Republican Presidential Primary. The delegation is not bound on subsequent ballots. [Utah Republican Party Bylaws 7.0.B]

And here is my state's:

Tuesday 5 February 2008: 45 of 48 of Alabama's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders in today's Alabama Presidential Primary.

21 district delegates are to be allocated to presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the 7 congressional districts: each congressional district is assigned 3 National Convention delegates. These delegates are allocated to the presidential contenders as follows:
If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%), that candidate is allocated all 3 of the district's delegates.
If only one candidate receives 15% or more of the vote, that candidates is allocated all 3 of the district's delegates.
If no candidate receives a majority of the vote, the candidate with the plurality (most votes) is allocated 2 delegates and the candidate with the next highest number of votes is allocated 1 delegate.
24 at-large delegates are to be proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders based on the statewide primary results. A mandatory 15 percent threshold is required in order for a presidential contender to be allocated National Convention delegates at the statewide level.
Round the delegate allocations to the nearest whole number. If the rounding allocates too few delegates, the candidate with the largest statewide vote is receives the remaining delegate(s). If the rounding allocates too many delegates, the candidate receiving the smallest statewide vote looses as many delegates as necessary.
In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Alabama's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position.

Each delegate’s name appears on the ballot below the candidate’s name unless the delegate is unopposed.

Edit to add: So this seems to mean Alabama could send many delegates voting for different candidates :(

Furis
11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
If they do require a second vote (and I think they will) they could be able to vote for whoever they want.

THIS IS WHY IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL WE ARE THE DELEGATES!!!!

Hook
11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
From the Arizona GOP Bylaws:

Dr Paul doesn't pick the delegates.

So, not only do we need to pick up the district delegates, but we need to get Paul supporters into the state convention to secure the at-large delegates as well.

So then what is all this talk about being a Ron Paul delegate or the fact that Hunter only has one delegate in Tenessee?

Furis
11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
You sign up (I assume in your state)

CALL the HQ or the County/State GOP (BUT DONT SAY ITS FOR RON PAUL) They will tell you what to do/how its done.

Hook
11-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Dr Paul won't choose any delegates. The voters choose the delegates, and hopefully the delegates will choose Dr Paul!

When you say the voters choose the delegates, you are saying the voters choose the delegates that represent the candidate of the voters choosing. Dr. Paul will choose the delegates that represent him. At least according to Bradley. I need to get Bradley's opionion on this as well.

Mark Rushmore
11-15-2007, 12:11 AM
When you say the voters choose the delegates, you are saying the voters choose the delegates that represent the candidate of their choosing. Dr. Paul will choose the delegates that represent him.

If such an arrangement exists, it would seem to be the exception?

Furis
11-15-2007, 12:14 AM
When you say the voters choose the delegates, you are saying the voters choose the delegates that represent the candidate of the voters choosing. Dr. Paul will choose the delegates that represent him. At least according to Bradley. I need to get Bradley's opionion on this as well.

Call the STATE GOP!!

They will be able to answer any questions you have. Every state is different.

foofighter20x
11-15-2007, 12:19 AM

No. The people vote for Dr Paul. District delegates are often asked to pledge to a candidate. Most do. So, if Dr Paul wins a delegate, it'll most likely be one that's pledged to him. How exactly they determine which of the three pledged delegates of Dr Paul gets picked if he only picks up 1 spot is something you'd have to ask your State GOP about.

Stop asking us and call them! They are going to know so much more than we ever will. And you need to get active in the party if you want to be a delegate. I doubt they are just going to let a new face come in and just vote him into office.

You have to earn their respect and trust.

USPatriot36
11-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Do the delegate candidates that Ron Paul selects to represent him have to be the ones elected by the State GOP conventions? Or are the elected delegates only at-large or superdelegates?

The rules are different in every state.

stewie3128
11-15-2007, 02:55 AM
Every state is different. In some states, voters elect declared delegates. In other states, state conventions elect declared delegates. In other states, state conventions elect undeclared delegates. In other states, delegates are elected through a caucus process. In yet other states, voters vote for their candidate, and their candidate selects the delegates.

If you want to know how your state does it, go here: http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm

After that, if you want to be a delegate, contact either the secretary of state for your state, or the RP campaign to get the ball rolling.

Bradley in DC
11-15-2007, 07:50 AM
If one has questions about how the primaries, caucuses and delegate selection processes work, post them in the state specific subfora. Because states are different, posting them here in the grassroots section causes more problems than it solves.

Hook
11-15-2007, 11:07 AM
So now that you let that out, could you answer my question, Bradley?

Bradley in DC
11-15-2007, 02:39 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly. I'm not an expert in Utah rules, but this is how it generally works: Dr. Paul will choose whom he wants to represent him on his slate of delegate candidates and alternate delegate candidates which he will file with the state Secretary of State (DC: Board of Elections and Ethics). There are no RNC rules limiting those people as from the state conventions (nor, offhand, do I know of any state rules as such). The superdelegates are not elected but are delegates ex officio (current Republican Governor, Senator, etc.). There are delegate elected by CD and AL that will make up Dr. Paul's slate.