PDA

View Full Version : And You Thought It Was Just ‘Pink’ Slime

DamianTV
04-13-2012, 08:44 AM
http://www.propublica.org/special/and-you-thought-it-was-just-pink-slime

The article isnt formatted like normal news stories. This one you'll have to click to read.

---

Personally, I would have less objection to the use of Pink Slime if the Meat Industry would simply LABEL it. Its this Deceptive Business Practice that they refuse to own up to is what is pissing me off more than what they are doing to the meat.

phill4paul
04-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Personally, I would have less objection to the use of Pink Slime if the Meat Industry would simply LABEL it. Its this Deceptive Business Practice that they refuse to own up to is what is pissing me off more than what they are doing to the meat.

Agree. That to me is my main concern. I just want to be able to make an informed choice of what I put into my body. The market will work itself out. I may have to pay more for 'better' but at least I'm informed of my options.

Spikender
04-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I agree completely. Hell, I wouldn't mind if people sold dung for consumption, as long as it was labeled as such so I could decide whether or not to buy it.

AGRP
04-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Wouldn't it be great if we could sell all of our bodily fluids to food processing plants. They're fine to consume as long as you cook them and the public doesn't know about it.

/sarcasm

Spikender
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Wouldn't it be great if we could sell all of our bodily fluids to food processing plants. They're fine to consume as long as you cook them and the public doesn't know about it.

/sarcasm

See, now you're thinking Green!

/sarcasm

fisharmor
04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.propublica.org/special/and-you-thought-it-was-just-pink-slime

Agree 100%. I don't mind this sort of thing - I LOVE me a good Nathan's Hot Dog.... it's the lying that sucks.
Well, the thing that pisses me off the most about this whole pink slime debacle is that everyone's panties are in a bunch about feeding it to kids in schools, and paying precisely ZERO attention to what the schools are feeding those kids' minds.

/sarcasm

Actually, yeah, it would.
I would totally collect my family's urine to put on my lawn, if I didn't think it would land me in a rape cage.
Mankind used its own excrement for food production for millennia, before the state decided it wasn't ok anymore.
(The fact that it started to get banned at the same time big agro really kicked in is not supposed to concern us.)

Romulus
04-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Who thinks any food giant is going to accurately label their food package's? Can we trust them to be honest?

That is where Progressives argue we NEED the FDA, etc.. and I don't have a good reason to tell them why these food giants should NOT be forced to label their product.

phill4paul
04-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Who thinks any food giant is going to accurately label their food package's? Can we trust them to be honest?

That is where Progressives argue we NEED the FDA, etc.. and I don't have a good reason to tell them why these food giants should NOT be forced to label their product.

Simple enough fix. No FDA needed. State legislation requiring truth in labelling on all food products sold within the state.

Romulus
04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Simple enough fix. No FDA needed. State legislation requiring truth in labelling on all food products sold within the state.

Sounds Constitutional to me!

John F Kennedy III
04-13-2012, 12:49 PM

This.

DEGuy
04-13-2012, 01:00 PM
The FDA are the ones that allow companies not to label it pink slime. If I'm a meat producer who doesn't use pink slime to save a few bucks, I have very little incentive because the FDA labels both products the same.

Spikender
04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
The FDA are the ones that allow companies not to label it pink slime. If I'm a meat producer who doesn't use pink slime to save a few bucks, I have very little incentive because the FDA labels both products the same.

Precisely. The FDA are completely useless when it comes to this issue. Phill4paul has a point with the state legislation. It would actually be Constitutional as well.

The Northbreather
04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Sounds Constitutional to me!

They lie you sue.

devil21
04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
If it says "beef" on the label, where exactly is the line where it's no longer beef and is now "pink slime"? How does one label according to that line? Who decides that line?

heavenlyboy34
04-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Even that's unnecessary. Just stop buying stuff that doesn't have labels. No diktats necessary. Processed food isn't as healthy anyway. Smart people will respond to customer demand for labels, just as they voluntarily label things like allergies and kosher. You people who think the government is going to fix this are VASTLY over-estimating the intelligence of government workers.

puppetmaster
04-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I like information...thanks

DamianTV
04-14-2012, 01:35 AM
I like to know what the hell Im eating! All the info I need! Why are they so adamantly opposed to just being honest, or is it that they are so used to lying to us, that telling the truth is now impossible for them?

idiom
04-14-2012, 03:08 AM
Just don't buy anything that you don't either trust or that doesn't have a certification you trust. Why does the state need to label anything?

csu1987
04-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Does anyone have a list of the burger and groecry stores in California that sell pink slime? I wanted to find out if InNout burger used it especially. thanks

pcosmar
04-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Even that's unnecessary. Just stop buying stuff that doesn't have labels. No diktats necessary. Processed food isn't as healthy anyway. Smart people will respond to customer demand for labels, just as they voluntarily label things like allergies and kosher. You people who think the government is going to fix this are VASTLY over-estimating the intelligence of government workers.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5301/5749543841_576d5d0f66_z.jpg

some people just can't be helped.
;)

matt0611
04-14-2012, 08:14 AM

1. Why do we need the FDA for this issue? How is the FDA helping us? They're not, they're actually helping the people who are producing this stuff by not requiring labels for it to get their approval!

2. This stuff is not really poisonous or anything, its just gross (to me at least), and dishonest.

3. What happened once people discovered it? Sale of the stuff plummetted, stores pulled it from their shelves, people were outraged, the companies that made it were scared, and the government came to their defense!! The free market works at satisfying the demands of the consumer. The government doesn't!

If we didn't have the FDA to approve food there would be more of a market for private certification companies that would certify food according to demands of the people buying the stuff. If they were caught doing this their reputation would be harmed badly. Is the monopoly FDA bureaucracy going to suffer at all for this? Hell no.

No, people should not be forced to label their product, but I refuse to buy anything that's not labelled!

Don't fall for the BS progressive talking points.

donnay
04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Most of the upstanding companies that I deal with label food ingredients. If they don't, simply don't buy them. Keep it local and buy local. Stay away from prepared foods is a good start.

heavenlyboy34
04-14-2012, 11:25 AM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5301/5749543841_576d5d0f66_z.jpg

some people just can't be helped.
;)
lolz :D It seems to be pretty common now to see peanut allergy warnings on products that obviously have peanuts in them. Cracks me up every time I see that kind of thing.