PDA

View Full Version : Rick Santorum Campaign ended because money dried up

PaulSoHard
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
When Rick Santorum ended his presidential bid on Tuesday, he spoke about the illness of his three-year-old daughter, Bella, and expressed a desire to spend more time with her as a parent. But on Thursday, the former Pennsylvania senator suggested the decision largely came down instead to a simple reality: He was out of cold, hard cash.
After losing Wisconsin's April 3 primary to rival Mitt Romney by seven points - a contest, Santorum said, that his campaign viewed as necessary to win in order to do well in his home state of Pennsylvania - his fundraising dried up.

"For the first time the campaign had a debt, the debt was from my perspective a little bit more substantial than I was comfortable with. And I'll be honest with you, Tony, in the last week after Wisconsin we basically raised almost no money," Santorum told Family Research Council President Tony Perkins in a radio interview, his first since announcing he was ending his bid. "We had solicitations going out and people were just emailing back saying the race is over and you gotta join the crew and there were others who would say not but it was a very, very small trickle of funds that were coming in."

Looking ahead to the Pennsylvania primary on April 24, Santorum said, he felt like his campaign wouldn't be able to spend even "a penny" on advertising to counter Romney's planned multi-million dollar advertising blitz.

The fundraising dried up as speculation mounted that Santorum couldn't stop Romney from securing the nomination - creating a narrative that Santorum said became impossible to overcome. The former senator quipped to Perkins that he was asked "when are you getting out?" more than people said, "hello." But he admitted that the notion of Romney's inevitability was due, in part, to his rival's success at controlling the media narrative.

"The media does drive this a lot more than people realize, they do in fact have the ability to drive a narrative beyond the campaign's ability to really to do much about it," he said. "In that respect I give Governor Romney a lot of credit in that he was more able to effectively spin the media effectively to drive his narrative than we were, and that's, that was just the reality of the situation."

Also playing into Santorum's thinking was the fact that it was becoming clear that he could not keep Romney from reaching the magic number of 1,144 delegates before the convention. The Republican National Committee had sent a firm message that they were not going to allow Texas to change its delegate allocation to a winner-take-all system, a move that could have benefitted Santorum's campaign. And once Romney amassed 89 delegates to Santorum's nine during the Wisconsin, District of Columbia and Maryland primaries, according to CBS News delegate counts, Santorum said, "it just seemed unlikely, not even unlikely but reaching to the point of impossible for us to be able to stop Romney" from reaching 1,144 delegates.

Although Santorum has pledged to support the Republican nominee, which is all but certain to be Romney, he does not seem ready to begin campaigning for his onetime foe and didn't even mention Romney's name during the interview. Instead, he said he planned to spend his time between now and November helping conservative candidates across the country achieve more prominence as elected officials and in a national debate.

He continued to bemoan his party's preference for moderate Republicans in many elections, a sign he may not yet have come to terms with Romney's victory.

"For conservatives we have to get conditioned to understand that you're going to be fed a steady diet of establishment candidate as long as we go along with the ideas that winning is what matters and not what is the right issues to go out and win with," Santorum said.

They were the words of a candidate who may be out of the 2012 race, but who is certainly not done fighting for his cause.
I'll be carefully looking at that quote

alucard13mmfmj
04-12-2012, 04:37 PM
how can 2nd place run out of money? lol.

Agorism
04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
link?

Lucille
04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57413143-503544/santorum-i-left-gop-race-because-money-dried-up/

PaulSoHard
04-12-2012, 05:00 PM
link?
ah, I apologize, thanks for posting the link ^

bunklocoempire
04-12-2012, 06:11 PM
how can 2nd place run out of money? lol.

Media inflated bubble.

Damn bubbles, I tell ya..

Aratus
04-12-2012, 06:49 PM
newt ran up a bigger debt but senator rick S does indeed have some
very gop aspected hoover flags ahhh flappin' in the merrie breeze???

neptune
04-13-2012, 12:02 AM
This is the first time I heard about this. So it was mainly about money? Foster Friess (who's now supporting Romney) couldn't have helped him out a little more? If money was the biggest reason, that's a shame.

PaulSoHard
04-13-2012, 01:11 AM
This is the first time I heard about this. So it was mainly about money? Foster Friess (who's now supporting Romney) couldn't have helped him out a little more? If money was the biggest reason, that's a shame.

Friess could only do so much in helping thr campaign since contributions to the campaign itself by individuals could not exceed $2500. Foster could have donated an unlimited amount to the Super Pac but once Santorum ran out of money I'm guessing he just stopped

Lishy
04-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Santorum commonly makes very disturbing quotes. I welcome his ex-supporters to the Ron Paul bandwagon, but jeez, how could his supporters me so naive? Put him next to Stain and his quotes sound exactly the same...

V3n
04-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Top image at Rick Santorum's official site:

http://www.ricksantorum.com/sites/default/files/ThankYou4_0.jpg?1334090916

The man ran gathered the support of millions of people, crashed his campaign into the ground, dropped out while the primary is only about half over, and is still asking people to hand over their hard-earned cash to recover the debt of his failed campaign.

I think it's shameful.

Ron Paul has never ran a campaign in debt.

Bern
04-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Let's make sure the money bomb for Ron Paul this weekend is a success so we don't have to see a similar story told about his campaign.

Aratus
04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
^this^ Bern said it totally! ^this^ Bern is correct! ^this^ Its easy to over spend! ^this^ Doctor Ron Paul does not presume on people! ^this^

HOLLYWOOD
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
how can 2nd place run out of money? lol.especially when Ricky was flaunting on TV that he had huge rump up in donations. He even said he raised $3 milllion in one week. Foster Friess and all his crone sugardaddy friends carried the Red, White, & Blue SuperPAC for 6 months. The racketeering elitist criminals have moved onto the next sellout that has the best chance at preserving their Corporate welfare and fascist collaborations... of course at the expense of the middle class taxpayers down the road.

HOLLYWOOD
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
ANother Updated article for the records on these RINO progressives: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/04/Breaking-Santorum-Campaign-Heavily-Indebted-at-Time-of-Concession

Breaking: Santorum Campaign Heavily Indebted at Time of Concession
By Juli Weiner (http://www.vanityfair.com/contributors/juli-weiner)

2:35 PM, April 12 2012

Rick Santorum, failed presidential candidate (http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/04/rick-santorum-drops-out-concedes-mitt-romney), failed senatorial candidate, and successful . . . person who really tried, granted an interview to the Family Research Council during which he broke his 48-hour-ish silence concerning his reasons for conceding the Republican nomination (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57413143-503544/santorum-i-left-gop-race-because-money-dried-up/). “For the first time the campaign had a debt, [and] the debt was from my perspective a little bit more substantial than I was comfortable with,” Santorum said in a radio interview today. “We had solicitations going out and people were just emailing back saying the race is over and you gotta join the crew and there were others who would say not but it was a very, very small trickle of funds that were coming in.” We did not send Santorum any money, for example.
This election cycle has once again seen incontrovertible evidence that an absence of liquidity is a very strong indicator that a campaign might belong to Newt Gingrich (http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2012/04/Deadbeat-Gingrich-Campaign-Bounces-a-Check) or suffer from other forms of debilitating disorganization.

The Way Rick Rolled... no it's not the video, use the link to see a little pictory of this phony

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/04/rick-santorum-ends-campaign-in-photos#slide=1
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2012/04/rick-santorum-ends-campaign-in-photos/jcr:content/par/cn_contentwell/par-main/cn_slideshow/item7.rendition.slideshowWideHorizontal.rick-santorum-review-ss-08.jpg

tttppp
04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Thats complete bullshit. He was in second place, there's no way he could run out of money. Only an idiot would get himself into debt while in second place. I guess that shows he's ready to be president.

HOLLYWOOD
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Thats complete bullshit. He was in second place, there's no way he could run out of money. Only an idiot would get himself into debt while in second place. I guess that shows he's ready to be president.I think all the big boys, Foster Friess and the millionaire/billionaire boys club said, drop out, we are backing the "Other Ringer" in the race with Wall st/Banking America.

I don't see any other reason for Rick dropping out... he was receiving huge cash infusions from the boys to handle the RED, WHITE, & BLUE SuperPAC expenses. The puppetmasters call the shots. They wanta consolidation, no brokered RNC convention(that could possibly slip Ron Paul in through the crack), and back their #1 panderer, and the other fascist marionette, Mittens Romney.

I've always said... there's "An Heir & a Spare" on each side of the false dichotomy of the duopoly, just in case of true opposition gaining traction.

tttppp
04-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I think all the big boys, Foster Friess and the millionaire/billionaire boys club said, drop out, we are backing the "Other Ringer" in the race with Wall st/Banking America.

I don't see any other reason for Rick dropping out... he was receiving huge cash infusions from the boys to handle the RED, WHITE, & BLUE SuperPAC expenses. The puppetmasters call the shots. They wanta consolidation, no brokered RNC convention(that could possibly slip Ron Paul in through the crack), and back their #1 panderer, and the other fascist marionette, Mittens Romney.

I've always said... there's "An Heir & a Spare" on each side of the false dichotomy of the duopoly, just in case of true opposition gaining traction.

Santorum has gotten tons of more votes than Ron Paul (at least allegedly). There is no excuse for him to not have enough money to go on, and Ron Paul does. Either Santorum took one for the team, or he's one of the dumbest money managers of all time.

HOLLYWOOD
04-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Santorum has gotten tons of more votes than Ron Paul (at least allegedly). There is no excuse for him to not have enough money to go on, and Ron Paul does. Either Santorum took one for the team, or he's one of the dumbest money managers of all time.Well, he did state in public... "He's a team player". You know he did... FOX will double his salary next year, if the megalomaniac doesn't seek political power to put another notch on the future wealth resume.