PDA

View Full Version : Is Most Soy GMO/Monsanto? Huh?

AGRP
04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
I watched a movie about Monsanto and the way I understood it is that around 90% of the soy crops in the US is Monsanto's/GMO. What I don't understand is that "health" companies such as Kashi have soy in them. Also, isn't Kashi sold at supermarkets that claim not to sell GMO food?

libertyjam
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I watched a movie about Monsanto and the way I understood it is that around 90% of the soy crops in the US is Monsanto's/GMO. What I don't understand is that "health" companies such as Kashi have soy in them. Also, isn't Kashi sold at supermarkets that claim not to sell GMO food?

From Kashi's web page they only have seven products that are non-GMO certified and 4 certified organic products
http://www.kashi.com/nongmo

"We’re excited to share an update on our work with the Non-GMO Project, North America’s only third-party verifier of non-GMO foods. Seven of our foods are now officially Non-GMO Project Verified including Autumn Wheat, Cinnamon Harvest, Island Vanilla, Strawberry Fields, 7 Whole Grain Flakes, 7 Whole Grain Puffs and 7 Whole Grain Pilaf. This is the first step in our phased approach, and we're committed to this journey! Check out our product pages at Kashi.com or search for Kashi at www.nongmoproject.org for updates as we continue to verify our foods."

If they have soy in the product I doubt it is one of the non-GMO products listed

Kashi was purchased by Kellog Corp. in yr 2000. So they are part of the BIG-AG business now, yet it is claimed that they are still independently operated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashi_(company)
http://www.kashi.com/meet_us/history

dannno
04-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Kashi was purchased by Kellog Corp. in yr 2000.

That must explain why one of their cereals made me violently ill for a while back a few years ago. I ate it for about 2 weeks and it gave me a horrible ulcer. Same thing happened to one of my coworkers who bought the same cereal from the same batch. It was probably from some GMO something..

Either way, there are plenty of organic non-GMO soy products out there. Most of the soy in this country, I believe, is consumed by animals who people that complain about GMO soy sometimes eat.

Working Poor
04-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I would not be as concerned about Kashi as I would the 100s of foods that have GMO soy products and also be aware of eating meats that are being fed GMO corn, alfalfa, and soy.

Soy is a plant estrogen men need to restrict their use if they don't want to grow boobs and start having their period. I think soy being added to foods is intended to sterilize the population. Soy makes you fat.

dannno
04-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Soy is a plant estrogen men need to restrict their use if they don't want to grow boobs and start having their period. I think soy being added to foods is intended to sterilize the population. Soy makes you fat.

That's completely untrue. I have had very soy heavy diets on and off and I can tell you it doesn't affect hormone levels. The first year I started eating soy heavy foods I lost 65 lbs in 9 months, so to say that soy makes you fat is kinda ridiculous.