MASSACHUSETTS

2008 REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY

General Guidelines and Information for Potential Delegates to the Convention

Primary Election:
March 4, 2008

Caucus Date:
May 3, 2008

Total number of Delegates and Alternate Delegates:

3 Automatic Delegates: State Party Chair, National Committeeman, National Committeewoman (No alternates for these delegates)
· 10 Delegates and 10 Alternate Delegates At-Large

· 30 District Delegates and 30 District Alternate Delegates

(3 delegates and 3 alternates from each congressional district)

Primary Election and Selection of Delegates

Massachusetts is a proportional state with delegates going to candidates receiving 15% of the Net Republican Vote. By state law, the presidential candidate's name is the only name that appears on the primary ballot. Presidential candidates receiving 15% of the net Republican Primary vote will receive a corresponding percentage of the overall delegates to the Convention, both at-large and district, as well as their alternates.

Massachusetts law and the Massachusetts Republican Party and Republican National Committee rules provide no automatic role for officeholders at the convention.

Who may be a delegate?

Caucuses are open to all enrolled Republicans, registered and resident of the district by February 13, 2008. Candidates for delegate, although they need not be present at the caucus, must be enrolled Republicans registered and resident of the district. Delegates and delegates at-large must pledge their support to the presidential candidate entitled to the delegate.

How does the election process work?

District delegates and alternate delegates will be elected at caucuses in each of the congressional districts within 60 days of the primary. The 2008 caucus will be held on May 3, 2008. Caucus Notices will be mailed to all town/city/ward committee members, announcing caucus locations. In addition, notices of the call for any such caucus, meeting, or convention shall be published in a newspaper or newspapers of general circulation in the county, district, or state, as the case may be, not less than fifteen (15) days prior to the date of such caucus, meeting, or convention.

The following describes the process for selecting delegates:

· If unable to attend the caucus meeting, a candidate may express in writing his or her willingness to serve if elected.

· Those candidates for delegate who are present may nominate themselves, and if seconded, the caucus chairman will add the nominee's name to a list of contenders.

· After nominations are closed, each candidate will have three minutes to speak and answer questions. Nominees will speak in alphabetical order.

· The caucus chairman will provide caucus participants with paper ballots. The highest vote getter for each Republican candidate qualifying for a delegate(s) will win.

· After delegates are selected, the same procedure shall be repeated for the election of alternate delegates.

Within 45 days of the congressional district caucuses, the Republican State Committee's Executive Committee shall meet to elect the 10 delegates at-large. Delegates at-large and alternate delegates at-large must be enrolled Republicans resident of Massachusetts and must pledge their support to the presidential candidate entitled to the delegate.

National Convention

All delegates are required by Massachusetts law to reflect the preference expressed by the voters at the Massachusetts Presidential Primary. All delegates and alternate delegates are responsible for their delegate fee, transportation and accommodation.

The 2008 Republican National Convention will be held September 1, 2008 – September 4, 2008 in Minneapolis, MN. For further information, please contact:

Massachusetts Republican Party

85 Merrimac Street, Suite 400

Boston, MA 02114

(617) 523-5005

convention@massgop.com

rawkd
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
How are things looking for us in Massachusetts?

Unfortunately I'm an American in Germany so I won't be able to become a delegate.

angrydragon
12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Are Ron Paul supporters in that state all over this?

rawkd
12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
For all Mass. people, in case you didn't already know:

the primary was moved up to Feb 5, 2008!

Last day to change party affiliation: Jan. 16, 2008

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ELE/eleidx.htm

This also means that we shouldn't just focus on our friends in NH, but rather start to plants seeds at home.

Massachusetts politics are an embarrassment for all Republicans. We don't even have one Republican in Congress or the Senate. They're all Democrats!

What we really need are some Ron Paul Republicans running for Congress in Mass!

demokra5
01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
For some reason the stuff I was reading on this from before had different dates, but now that I can still register, I'm gonna go for it.

mosquitobite
12-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Bump - can someone from MA do a new thread for this election cycle's deadlines?

Cinderella
01-03-2012, 11:02 AM
seriously i need some info on the delegate process for 2012 and caucus info etc...i have been calling the mass GOP and havent been getting called back...all info i find is from 2008, and even the stuff i do find is so confusing! maybe we can set up a buddy/ teaching system? anyone from mass interested in becoming delegates?????